African Well Fund Gets Thank You Note from Bono!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Yesterday, the African Well Fund got a thank you note from Bono for the amazing birthday gift all of you contributed to. Here's the story from the AWF Web site:

AWF has received a thank you note from Bono…
We will let the note speak for itself (if you can decipher it!?!) but we would like to thank all of the generous supporters who have made the Birthday Well campaigns so successful!

As we announced earlier, the money from this year’s campaign will be used in partnership with Africare and Invisible Children to build wells at schools in Northern Uganda. Check back soon as we will be posting more details about this exciting project.

Thanks again and as we say every year U2 fans are the best!

We believe the note reads (our best guess at translation):

Well, Well, Well, Well, Well, Well
And Well done etc.

I think its my favourite birthday gift every year… and this year I wanted to thank you – music is pouring out of the U2 ers at the minute and despite what’s happening out there in a wild wild world I am so happy to be alive enough to give it a good kickin.

There’s no business like shoe business
Bono

Check out a scan of the note here.

$34,000 raised in about six weeks is so amazing and is going to help out so many kids in Northern Uganda. Thanks to everyone who participated in this fundraiser and who support AWF all year round!

:lmao: that's a great note! congrats on raising so much money, and getting a note from Bono :up:

interesting sole that boot has!

Last edited:
"There's no business like shoe business" ?? :laugh:

How's that for an original, kick-ass quote :drool: :drool: Amazing note, thanks for posting!

:heart: We love you Bono!

That's really sweet that he took the time to write to them, and what a nice message, too. We should feel good knowing that many of us helped to contribute to his favorite birthday present!

It's cool to see the scan, too. I don't think I've ever seen much of Bono's handwriting beyond his signature.

^ Yeah, his handwriting isn't the greatest, but it's cute. :giggle:
If I am honest, I can read most of it. :shh:

:applaud: Loving the handwritten note and the doodle! What a fab guy!
We love you, Bono! :bono: :heart:

:applaud: Thanks so much for posting that!!!

I'm so glad I scratched up the money to give a pittance this year!

:heart:

This is AWESOME. I just love Bono's message in response to this year's "Build a Well for Bono's Birthday" AWF fundraising drive.

As one of the handful of people who were there at the beginning of the AWF almost five years ago, it was always evident to me that the money raised by the AWF was probably the BEST b-day present that Bono received every year (next to whatever his children would give him).

Now we know that this is the truth! :yes:

Much continued success to the AWF in the years to come.

All This.........IN THE NAME OF LOVE ! :bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Bono Mot said:
:applaud: Thanks so much for posting that!!!

I'm so glad I scratched up the money to give a pittance this year!

:heart:

i second that too! i was wondering how much was raised, and to get a note back is just awesome yaaaaaaaay :dance:

also awesome that someones handwriting is worse than mine :giggle:

Last edited:
That's great, very nice thing to do for Bono.

The handwritten note is such a personal way to say thanks.

I LOVE his handwriting, because it shows a truly creative mind.

Actually the congratulations go out to all of you who have supported us through the years. We posted the note because it is meant for anyone who has contributed to any of the Bono Birthday Fundraisers - the thanks go out to all of you......

Don't feel bad if you weren't able to contribute to this year's campaign - rest assured we will come calling again next year looking for contributions to Bono's 'favorite birthday gift' :) And every contribution matters no matter how small. We have calculated our cost per project vs. number of people served and have found that on average it costs just $4 to provide one person with clean water!

BTW we have come a long way since our original 'hey let's see if we can build a well' discussion group. We are a full-fledged non-profit and have raised more than $300,000 since inception ($100,000 of that from the Bono Birthday campaigns). However we are still entirely volunteer run and are in constant need of new dedicated volunteers. If there are any interested parties out there, drop me a line at dyoder@africanwellfund.org

Back
Top Bottom