Adam Quotes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WildHonee

Mr. MacPhisto's Loo Cleaner
I just downloaded and watched the end of the Simpsons episode with our four favorite tamales. Adam CRACKS me up.

Post Adam quotes! Like when he simulates making love wth the piece of wood or when Bono fell down after putting on his skis.
biggrin.gif

------------------
~*Mona*~ the Shamrock n' rolla
Bono Rep. of the Ambassadorship of the World for L.E.A.T.H.E.R.

"Joe Houdini!" ~Charlie Brown~

"What you don't have you don't need it now. What you don't know you can feel it somehow." -U2-

"Summers when the money was gone you'd sing
all your little songs
that meant every thing to me"~Remy Zero~

I don't have a quote but I do have a question about Adam, and I figure the girls that reply to this thread would probably have the most knowledge about it. Ok, bear with me while I explain...A while back I remember reading a story about Adam and Bono on here. Apparently there was a threat made against the band while they were performing one night, and at one point Bono was so scared he was ducking down, and when he looked up Good ol' Sparky was standing in front of him, still playing, acting like a human shield. Is this true? I hope it is, because that is so cool of Adam! I get goosebumps just thinking about it! Maybe that's when the whole "Chin in the Air" playing started, like "Come on, I dare yah!" If this is a true story, do you know where it came from? Since I don't have a quote, here is a picture that kind of goes along with my question...how sweet...

eV38400.jpg

I just love that picture! Adam looks so content.

Fishy <><

------------------
Fishy
The Bedazzled Merch-Maid and Fashion Chair of Orgasmatron
and
The Original Hot Potato of LAYS

You put on the leather pants and the pants start telling you what to do. -Bono

WildHonee you intrigued me, I have to admit I have never been much of an Adam fan, not because I don't like him, but simply because I don't know that much about him, but I was looking around for Adam quotes, and I found this one about Adam that I really like.
smile.gif

""Adam pretended he could play and used words like 'gig' and talked about things like 'action' on the bass and we thought 'this is a guy who can play!' He was a liar. He actually couldn't play a note. Dave was just playing away on the acoustic and people just kept on coming up and saying 'there's something wrong' and we couldn't figure out what it was until suddenly we thought - It's Adam! Adam can't play. He had his own distinctive style from the start - at first it was called BLUFF, but then it began to work."
Bono describing Adam's early musical ability, October 1979.

Fishy <><

------------------
Fishy
and

Where did you download it from?

I have never seen the episode

Oh, and to respond to the thread:

"Rock 'n' roll is a term that's been heavily abused. It's not something you can buy in a record shop. It's an attitude" - Adam

Originally posted by FishNeedsABicycle:

""Adam pretended he could play and used words like 'gig' and talked about things like 'action' on the bass and we thought 'this is a guy who can play!' He was a liar. He actually couldn't play a note. Dave was just playing away on the acoustic and people just kept on coming up and saying 'there's something wrong' and we couldn't figure out what it was until suddenly we thought - It's Adam! Adam can't play. He had his own distinctive style from the start - at first it was called BLUFF, but then it began to work."
Bono describing Adam's early musical ability, October 1979.

OMG!!! i love this quote so much!! awww!!! Adam! Adam is so very adorable. i love that man. and that PICTURE!!! OMGOMGOMG!!! SO CUTE!!! it's threads like this that just make you wanna *HUG* this guy!

though i must say that i hate that "smiley" of him. it does him no justice whatsoever.

------------------
~MoonPhisto*

"A man dreams one day to fly
A man takes a rocket ship to the skies
He lives on a star that's dying in the night
And follows in the trail, the scatter of the light"

FDJ,
I thought that about the smily also! It makes him look like a turtle! Maybe we could have a contest and convince the powers that be to revamp the icons! What do yah say Sicy? Can we do that?

Fishy <><

------------------
Fishy
and

awww! he does look like a turtle! it also makeshim look fat. and like a bug. ohhhh... this is so unattractive an icon for so pretty a man!

Please, Sicy? Please?
biggrin.gif

we looooooooove yoooou! *brown-nose for sparky's sake*

------------------
~MoonPhisto*

Pretty please? It would be cool if we could have a Macphisto Icon also!!! Hey Sicy...If you doubt Pleba's abilities, just check out the doctored photos of Mrs. Edge...
smile.gif
I think we are up to the challenge!

Fishy <><

------------------
Fishy
and

Fishy~ i agree! on both accounts- a Mac icon and the great amount of talent and capability of PLEBiAns.
we can do better than this --->
icon17.gif
for our Sparky!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

not to break the petition, but let's get to postin' some delicious Adam Quotes and Adam Beauty!!
smile.gif

come on, Sparky gals! show us whatcha got!

------------------
~MoonPhisto*

ahh relax, Queen of Quotes for RSOC is here
smile.gif

Ah! I have sooo many...

"Some artists become dull when they stop drinking or drugging, but Adam's not one of them. He's his old self. He loses none of his rubber-band-shooting,water-gun-squirting, public-disrobing spirit when he doesn't drink." - Bono

"Adam was just getting people to do him up in the back and swapping makeup tips with any girl that passed. You know suddenly he could own up to being interested in their underwear!" -Bono, regarding the making of the One video

"All the women are gorgeous and all the men are gay. If you can't pull tonight, you're hopeless." -Adam, on the set of the Mysterious Ways video

"Adam literally got me by the scruff of the neck and roped me into U2. I didn't really want to be in a band. I was only into it for the sake of the sound of electric guitar, drums, bass and singing. So when he started talking about actually playing gigs I thought,'What, y' mean playing gigs in front of other people?' The thought had never dawned on me. But Adam believed in the band before anyone did - he'd made up his mind at 15 or 16 that rock 'n' roll was what he was going to do. -Bono

I have that one about Adam standing in front of Bono... give me a sec to find it...

------------------
Freeway like a river runs through this land

* U2TakeMeHigher *

Yes, this certainly does give you chills. Makes you want to hug and smooch Sparky all over.

From the book BONO IN HIS OWN WORDS:
"There was a night in L.A. in the early part of the tour when we had a death threat that the police were taking very seriously indeed. Someone had sent the gun license into the U2 offices and they thought he had gotten into the venue. All of a sudden there were all these people on the stage which I really objected to. I never thought that sort of thing would bother me and, when I went out, it didn't. I just laughed it off, like The Blues Brothers - 'We're on a mission from God and we ain't finished yet.'

The second night came up and the cops came up to us just before we were about to go on and said they'd made a mistake, He was coming tonight! "Now we get all kinds of racist jibes because we wrote a song for
Martin Luther King, or pinko jibes because we did the Amnesty International Tour. Wherever you look we're a target for the loony fringe. So the second night, we're on stage and I'm singing 'Pride' thinking, 'If someone is going to do it it will be during this number.'

So I crouched down on the stage, shut my eyes and for a moment the thought of death crossed my mind. When I looked up I just saw Adam standing over me, between me and the crowd. It was a good, good moment."

------------------
Freeway like a river runs through this land

* U2TakeMeHigher *

omg. that the most incredible story! i'm such a mushy pansy, but i got all misty eyed! and i too got goosebumps and chills from it! imagine having a friend who loved you so much they were willing to take a bullet for you- risk thier life for your's. shit. now i'm actually starting to cry a little. it's just a beautiful story! if you never had a great respect for Adam before this, you MUST now! This story shows how loving, loyal, and courageous Adam is! oh... hugs to Adam!

(((((((((((((((Adam)))))))))))))))

ok, i can't stay on PLEBA this late at night. i start getting extra soft and sentimental.

------------------
~MoonPhisto*

[This message has been edited by FallDownJulie (edited 10-21-2001).]

i can't believe i wrote such sappy stuff, but i won't edit it b/c it's all true.

Mona's going to kick me and disown me for being such a dork!

------------------
~MoonPhisto*

You are not a dork Julie! Well maybe you are, but if yuo are, than I am one too! That story choked me up the first time, and made me get all prickely the second time! I love Adam for that! Can't you just see him standing there, chin up, making love to the bass, protecting Bono? Thank you so much Olive! I have a new found respect for Sparky! See now we really do have to get him a new icon! No more Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Adam!

Fishy <><

P.S. I think I am going to email Sicy and ask if that is a possibility...

------------------
Fishy
and

Originally posted by WildHonee:

Post Adam quotes! Like when he simulates making love wth the piece of wood or when Bono fell down after putting on his skis.
biggrin.gif

I don't think I've heard those quotes! Somebody please post them!
smile.gif

the set up of a popular adam quote from flannagan's book.

"Adam holds court with his harem in the Ping-Pong room. He is improbably dressed in sandals and a sharp black dinner jacket over a long red dress, a sort of kimono. The babes, the feast, and the toga conspire to give Adam the bearing of a Caesar (one of the late, inbred, lunatic Caesars, perhaps, but a Caesar nonetheless).

'I don't wear it lightly,' Adam says when he saee me gawking, and at first I think he means some imagined laurel wereath. He tugs at the fabric of his muumuu. 'I feel that in a hot climate like this the only sort of clothing that makes any sense is a light piece of material wrapped around you.' Then, taking the broader philosophical view we expect of the enrobed, he announces, "Men should not be forced to wear pans when it's not cold.'"

------------------
?Hard as it is to keep it together, it is still possible to have those moments when it?s just the four of you being able to keep the rest of the world out... and that?s what it?s all about.?
-Adam

Love,
Emily

She wore lemon, but never in the daylight...

Originally posted by Giant Lemon:
I don't think I've heard those quotes! Somebody please post them!
smile.gif

lol I know the first one is in someone's sig. It's like someone asked Adam what he does for a living and he says something about simulating love making on a piece of vibrating wood. Bleh! Someone must have it.

------------------
~*Mona*~ / ~*Moaner*~ / ~*MonaPhisto*~

"I feel like trash. I AM trash! Recycle me, baby!" ~MonaPhisto~

"You wanna play my guitar? Then you just come up here and play my guitar" ~Bono~

So what's the whole, Sparky/Spoon connection? I was watching the end of the Simpson's episode that featured U2 and I was just wondering what the significance of his spoon collection was, or if he just likes to collect spoons?

Fishy <>< (Slowly finding my self more and more intrigued with Lord Clayton.
smile.gif

------------------
Fishy
and

So what's the whole, Sparky/Spoon connection? I was watching the end of the Simpson's episode that featured U2 and I was just wondering what the significance of his spoon collection was, or if he just likes to collect spoons?

smile.gif

Yeah! Someone enlighten us! I watched that clip about 4 times today. WHAT DOES IT ALL MEEEAANNN?!

------------------
~*Mona*~the Shamrock n rolla!

DREAM OUT LOUD

"Summers when the money was gone you'd sing all your little songs that meant every thing to me."~Remy Zero~

I have the quote about Adam talking about his wonderful job in my sig...hehe, okay so he was asked, something about a martian landed and it came up to him and asked him what he did for a living he said, "I simulate love making by beating a piece of wood with a metal wire on which it vibrates."

ooh...I have another funny one too: "making love involves two people having sex involves only one.

and a cute one: "If you are a really close friend of The Edge, you can just call him The."

As for the spoon thing, I dunno. I think that he said something about that they just chose to pic on him, and he didn't know why. Aww!

------------------
Dana

"AHH...this is civics in action!"
--Mr. Campbell and me at a U2 concert, 6/21/01

"I simulate love making by beating a piece of wood with a metal wire on which it vibrates."
-Adam, when asked, 'If a martian landed and was introduced to you and asked what you do, what would you say?'

Originally posted by DML:
I have the quote about Adam talking about his wonderful job in my sig...hehe, okay so he was asked, something about a martian landed and it came up to him and asked him what he did for a living he said, "I simulate love making by beating a piece of wood with a metal wire on which it vibrates."
LMAO!!!!!!! THAT'S IT!!!!!!!! I LOVE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The other ones are good, too! He's such a card!

------------------
~*Mona*~the Shamrock n rolla!

DREAM OUT LOUD

"Summers when the money was gone you'd sing all your little songs that meant every thing to me."~Remy Zero~

Originally posted by DML:

"If you are a really close friend of The Edge, you can just call him The."

LMAO! Three cheers for Sparky! This is a great thread, and the story about Adam standing in front of Bono is so powerful; no wonder this band is so great!

*HG wonders if PLEBA ladies will start calling Edge "The"*
biggrin.gif

I believe it has something to do with Adam being "Prematurely Aged" as the Edge so aptly put it!
smile.gif

Which, by the way, is also my favorite non-Adam, Adam related quote.

------------------
Hip Pontiff of Sparkyism

"There's no room for spiritual constitpation here!" - Ian Astbury, The Cult

SlipStream Soul

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
"There was a night in L.A. in the early part of the tour when we had a death threat that the police were taking very seriously indeed. Someone had sent the gun license into the U2 offices and they thought he had gotten into the venue. All of a sudden there were all these people on the stage which I really objected to. I never thought that sort of thing would bother me and, when I went out, it didn't. I just laughed it off, like The Blues Brothers - 'We're on a mission from God and we ain't finished yet.'

The second night came up and the cops came up to us just before we were about to go on and said they'd made a mistake, He was coming tonight! "Now we get all kinds of racist jibes because we wrote a song for
Martin Luther King, or pinko jibes because we did the Amnesty International Tour. Wherever you look we're a target for the loony fringe. So the second night, we're on stage and I'm singing 'Pride' thinking, 'If someone is going to do it it will be during this number.'

So I crouched down on the stage, shut my eyes and for a moment the thought of death crossed my mind. When I looked up I just saw Adam standing over me, between me and the crowd. It was a good, good moment."

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a CRAZY wild thing just happened. i was talking to my non~U2~lovin' friend, who knows nothing about U2, on IM and i was telling her how sweet this story was and that i was going to send it to her, and just before i did she randomly said "Sure thing, Sparky." and i FLIPPED OUT!! she, of course, had no idea why, but i burst out into laughter and thought it was the funniest thing!

....being that the story i was gonna send her was about.... adam....

*crickets chirp*

well, i guess it was a "you-had-to-be-there" kinda thing. it's was FUNNY, tho.
smile.gif

------------------
~MoonPhisto*

well, they sort of teased Adam throughout the whole show. First Edge and Larry don?t want him to come along to Moe?s and then Bono throws away one of Adam?s precious spoon. I think he really collects them, and the makers of the Simpsons just decided to pick on that. But Adam was cool about it. Man, he is so cool!!!

smile.gif

*sends invitation for tomorrow?s RSOC meeting
smile.gif
smile.gif

------------------
Action-Packed Mentallist

"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

He really started to buy those State/City spoons during PopMart, probably that's why! The nick Sparky, he got it from the BMan in 97', it's still not clear why!

Sparky like the clown, or Sparky as in spark.

I'd say Sparky as in SEX GOD!!!!

biggrin.gif

------------------
Zooming in
Zooming out
Nothing I can't do without
A lens to see it all up close
Magnifying what no one knows
Never in company
Never alone
No car alarm
No cellular phone
- Adam Clayton / Passengers

***Sparky's Whore***

RSOC's Sparky Shrine

Okay...here's another funny thing, from Lord Adam Clayton from his tour diary in 1982 (gosh, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on the whole thing...hehe)

February 14th Valentine's Day

Today is St. Valentine's Day and where is my Valentine? On the drive from Austin to San Antonio we stopped off at a snake farm/amateur zoo. It was very depressing. Lots of caged animals not looking very healthy. The high point was a mad monkey which had epileptic fits accompanied by blood-chilling shrieks. It was really quite a scream because Bono started singing. This infuriated the creature even further -- its shrieks grew louder. Bono matched its volume until the deranged creature started to beat his head against the wall. Eventually a very brusque woman ran over and dismissed us, complaining how cruel it was to drink sodas in front of our friend as there was nothing it liked more than a glass of Coke.

On to the gig. During the show, Bono handed out flowers to girls. Wish I'd done that. He's got friends for life. Afterwards we spent a long time with the punters. The Texans are a nice simple people, consequently conversation lasted long. 3.15 a.m. back to the hotel via The Alamo, which received the dubious accolade of consecration with Ozzy Osbourne's urine.

Fort Apache, The Bronx was on the HBO cable. Great film and Paul Newman's best performance in years.

Friday

Up too early with everyone looking wrecked. Arrive in Denver and Edge discovers a ski resort 50 miles up country. The four of us head off. It had to be hushed up as a broken leg at this stage of the tour would not be welcome. Stories were fabricated and changed so that no one had any idea where we were. It was a lovely drive through the Rockies to the resort. Once there, Edge organises the activities, as he is the experienced amateur. We get our skis on and Bono falls over immediately. We potter about on the nursery slopes under Edge's instructions. I eventually feel confident enough to try my luck on the mountain. I wish I hadn't. I've never been so frightened in all my life. To reach the top of the mountain we have to hang on chair lift, hundreds of feet above the ground with no safety bar. I was so hysterical I would have gladly thrown myself off had Edge not kept me talking.

At the top it soon becomes obvious that I had been over optimistic. I tell Edge to go off and enjoy himself, I'll walk down. The mountain very nearly claimed me. Edge goes up and down twice in the time it takes me to walk. Then he did a black slope. As you might know black slopes are very serious. And then some, like black holes and black belts. We retire to the bar for the only bit of ski I like -- apres ski and Gluewein. We make the mistake of ordering Irish Coffees, which are barely coffee and certainly not Irish. The cream comes from one of those aerosol jobs and there's a nasty green mint liqueur to boot. Once back in the hotel we decide to go and see Reds. It's a good film but I felt it lost its punch in places, but maybe that's because I was so tired.

------------------
Dana

"AHH...this is civics in action!"
--Mr. Campbell and me at a U2 concert, 6/21/01

"I simulate love making by beating a piece of wood with a metal wire on which it vibrates."
-Adam, when asked, 'If a martian landed and was introduced to you and asked what you do, what would you say?'

Awwwwwwwwwwwww,!

*sniff...SOB!!!!*
*Bluey runs up to Jtree and hugs her around her ankles*

I love you dude!!!!!!
Ahhh bassists, pulling the lead singers bacon out of the fire...yet again.
That is such a COOL STORY.
Man, why can I picture Adam and Bono watching Beaches together now?
-Bluey (who loves all bassists, big and small)

------------------
"It costs a fortune to look this trashy." - Bono.
Bluephisto

My first reply. I do not have much to add besides thanks, this is very nice.

------------------
The only way out is in

Back
Top Bottom