Adam in Malaysia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zana

Babyface
I thought I read in some interview that Adam was in Malaysia for the Christmas holiday to visit parents. I hope he's okay. Has anyone heard anything?

Someone said over at EYKIW that Adam was supposed to be on the opposite side of the country from where the tidal wave hit. Hopefully he is okay and will be able to leave the country without difficult. Such a tragedy. :(

madonna's child said:
Someone said over at EYKIW that Adam was supposed to be on the opposite side of the country from where the tidal wave hit. Hopefully he is okay and will be able to leave the country without difficult. Such a tragedy. :(

LOL. That was me. The gossip is Adam was in east Malaysia and the damage was done in west Malaysia. There are no reported deaths of Irish people.

Thats ok Madonnas child. I was just laughing.

Stars, yes it would be good to hear officially, but until we do we can just piece the bits together. The chances of something happening to him are so remote as to negligeable (sp?).

I hope all the survivors can gather the strength to rebuild their lives whilst dealing with the deaths of loved ones at the same time. Thats gotta be difficult. I cant even imagine how difficult it would be.

Beli - I know in the past you said you worked from some charities - in your opinion which would be the best to donate to for this? The Red Cross perhaps?

and stars I'd feel better if we had some evidence that he was okay - even though I'm sure that he is - I'm a dork too:hug:

Red Cross/Crescent
Medicin Sans Frontiers
Oxfam

Depends on what you value. These are all mostly non committed in terms of views on religion.

Other charities may send missionaries and bibles. NBC posted a long list of some religious oriented charities.

I personally prefer to see all of the funds used on clean water, shelter, recovery excercises that kinda thing.

Take you pick depending on what you value.

Yeah I am Queen of the Dorkwads....

Correct me if I am wrong Beli...but basically any NGO is just going to be funneling funds immediately without nessacarily setting up a specific request for this situation at the time being, right? In other words meaning this becomes priority...(I hope I worded that right :huh: )The Red Cross....Oxfam...Doctors Without Borders...your faith based organization....anything would help...

(edited to say: I posted this at the same time as Beli...listen to her! :up: )

Last edited:
Exactly. I used to process all the donations for my state. There are little codes on everything to indicate what a donor wants the money to go to but at the end of the day, when this kind of thing happens, the money just flys out the door. Charities cannot sit and wait until an appeal is set up and the money has arrived.

As an example, Oxfam fund a lot of "goat loans". This means a few goats will be provided to a village for milking. When the goats have babies the kids are given to the next village, and on it goes. If Oxfam waited until there was enough money to provide all the villages with breeding goats the first goats would be dead.

Hmmm, dunno if that made sense.

Anyway, I worked the last Indian earthquake and yep, the money was going straight out the door before the appeal was raised, before the radioathon was aired, etc. Then when the money comes in from these emergency appeals some of it eventually makes it way back to the planned programmes.

A lot of these charities/ NGOs will have people on the ground already from the planned programmes. Field officers, locals, expert in the ways of the local community and customs.

Does that make sense? :huh:

thanks for the information - I had actually forgotten about Doctors without boarders (go figure there)
and yes it makes sense:)

LOL Chrissi. :der:

I dont think my post made sense at all but Im breastfeeding my baby at the moment and hes being most uncooperative so apologies for lack of coherant (sp/) thought in my post.

I gave a donation to Mercy Corps today. They are taking donations for earthquake victim relief. When all is said and done, including diseases caused by the chaos, there could be as many as a million victims. It's a sad day for humanity.

I am so glad to hear that Adam is ok but i too am completely horrified at what has happened, of course. When i first saw the news i felt total disbelief as i had always known tsunamis to strike on a much smaller scale. It is such an incredible shock to me to see so many areas affected. It's so scary to imagine thinking of the idea, you know i think i'll go to the Maldives, Thailand or Sri Lanka for a dream holiday&then you have the misfortune to be there.....unimaginable horror :sad: :sad:

We watched some of the home videos of the disaster at work today. A co-worker told me he heard of a 20-month old toddler that survived by clinging to a door or something that floated.

Yes, that's the new link. They must have moved the article overnight. Thank you.

I saw a story about Kelly on Anderson Cooper last night, I believe her cousins were on.

They are trying to get a temp visa for her boyfriend so he can come here for her funeral.

Back
Top Bottom