ABC's Gibson = CLUELESS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nightsong

Acrobat
What a jerk!

"He wasn't questioning the need to go to Africa, it was why go to Africa with a rock star, he said."

Gee, maybe cause Bono has brought more attention to the plight of this continent than anyone else....

:madwife: :madwife: :madwife:

ABC's Gibson Talks About Africa Comment

By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer

Thursday, June 1, 2006

(06-01) 14:32 PDT New York (AP) --

ABC's new "World News Tonight" anchor Charles Gibson said he didn't mean to imply, in a recent magazine interview, that issues in Africa aren't worth covering.

Gibson, who began Monday as ABC's evening news anchor, was asked in a question-and-answer session that appeared in this week's New York magazine about whether he would report from the field as much as NBC "Nightly News" anchor Brian Williams.

Williams traveled to several African countries on May 22 and 23 to report about poverty, AIDS and other issues on "Nightly News."

"That's because of Katrina; you saw him going down there," Gibson said in the New York article. "Now he's in Africa. I don't know why you do that. Why the hell do you go to Africa? It's certainly an interesting choice. We'll do travel, when it warrants."

Gibson, in an interview with The Associated Press on Thursday, said that while talking to New York reporter Joe Hagan he "perhaps foolishly" was quoting from an e-mail he had written to John Reiss, "Nightly News" executive producer, who is an old friend.

Gibson said he is trying to figure out the "new paradigm" for when evening-news anchors travel out of New York to report stories.

"It was a jesting reference and I probably should never have quoted it," Gibson said. "I'm literally puzzled as to what they were doing. It is certainly worth traveling there. There are certainly problems to explore and issues to do. But I was curious as to why they would send Brian with Bono for a number of days for that program."

He wasn't questioning the need to go to Africa, it was why go to Africa with a rock star, he said.

"It may actually be the perfectly proper thing to do," he said. "It may be that you can get attention to problems that you would not otherwise get on the air if you were traveling with someone who is a magnet for people to watch. I don't know."

Gibson said Hagan took some of the words he said and used them in a quote that was not anywhere near what he intended to say.

Serena Torrey, a spokeswoman for Hagan, said the interview appeared in edited form. Hagan's interview was not taped.

"What Mr. Gibson may have meant to say did not come through in his words to Joe Hagan," Torrey said. "We reviewed the raw transcript of the interview and we stand behind what was printed."

Reiss said he wouldn't discuss his private correspondence with Gibson. He said Bono has achieved enormous credibility on issues of interest to Africa and he helped the broadcast shed some light on them.

Gibson replaced Elizabeth Vargas this week as anchor for "World News Tonight," which has been a distant second in the ratings behind NBC.

grumpyder.gif
grumpytsk.gif

Well - I like Charlie Gibson, on the whole. He's actually a very intellectual person.
I don't think he's clueless; he just thinks what Bono is doing in Africa isn't newsworthy, with the war going on. Heh - that and I don't think he's much interested in Bono as a person or a rock star, really.
Bono's more attractive to people younger than Gibson, usually.

Personally, I think Africa is something the news media needs to cover whether or not a rock star is going along on the trip. I think it's sad that Brian Williams probably wouldn't have even gone to Africa if it weren't for Bono.

"It may actually be the perfectly proper thing to do," he said. "It may be that you can get attention to problems that you would not otherwise get on the air if you were traveling with someone who is a magnet for people to watch. I don't know."

Brian admitted he went at the invitation of Bono. They both knew it would make a good story, get viewers, and that's why they did it. To be seen and heard, to educate people who can aid the situation is the ultimate payoff. They succeeded, and it sounds like that's what Gibson missed. He's really an Ok guy who has done some good stories as well.
Ps I'm older than Charlie, and I love U2!

Nightsong said:
"It was a jesting reference and I probably should never have quoted it," Gibson said. "I'm literally puzzled as to what they were doing. It is certainly worth traveling there. There are certainly problems to explore and issues to do. But I was curious as to why they would send Brian with Bono for a number of days for that program."

He wasn't questioning the need to go to Africa, it was why go to Africa with a rock star, he said.

Here's why you might send an American news anchor to Africa for three days with a rock star, Mr. Gibson: Because the rock star is also one of the world's most famous and knowledgeable advocates for Africa, that's why.

Remind me not to watch ABC News once he becomes its anchor. :madspit:

i think it is a valid point that sometimes these stories become more about the celebrity than the issues.

gibson's mistake was in using bono as an example! bono goes beyond drawing attention to issues because of his celebrity. the man is as educated about and committed to these issues as anyone.

i am sure bono will forgive charles gibson. the question is - will pleba? :wink:

Charlie Gibson questioning why NBC sent Brian Williams to cover Bono is like Eric Clapton criticising U2 and Coldplay. It's the competition. You bash them because they have something you don't.

In this case, the world's biggest rock star on the best-watched network news show. And NBC is viewed all over the world, meaning Bono's visit got much bigger play than it might have on ABC. When I lived in Japan, all we got was ABC World News Tonight at 7:30 a.m. on one Japanese network -- but we got NBC shows all day long.

Back
Top Bottom