A story from my "Ireland and the Irish" class....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AvsGirl41

New Yorker
I have this black 3-ring, and I put the black & white photo of Bono from "Details" magazine on the front, where he's clasping his hands in front of him. It's a funky photo and if I leave it out on my desk, it really bothers my professors.

Anyway, I'm taking "Ireland and the Irish" this semester. And as I'm packing my bag, one of my classmates spots the 3-ring and says "Now THAT's Ireland!" I just thought that was so cool.

(Incidentally, the textbook we're using, "The Course of Irish History" goes to 2001 and makes no mention of U2. I'm horrified.)

Elisabeth

No mention of U2. That's crap. :down:

I really want to take an Irish history course. Now, I'll be honest, my interest in Ireland was of course sparked by U2. But the country has a really interesting history. It's people have been so mistreated, yet they've surivied. It's quite a story.

Hey, that sounds like a cool class, despite the fact that the textbook doesn't mention U2. Horrors! I have a history background, that's what they gave me that fancy "'baccalaureate" diploma for. My Irish history books are mostly about political and economic history, and some of them have some cultural stuff as well. If they were written now I don't know that they'd mention U2, either......if they are going to mention Yeats and O'Casey and Becket it's not fair. There is a picture of Bono in an Irish history book at work. It's spiff! It's from some awards show. History books can be very annoying things, and then again sometimes they're actually good. :laugh: :laugh: :shocked: :shocked: :macdevil: :censored:

madonna's child said:
No mention of U2. That's crap. :down:

I really want to take an Irish history course. Now, I'll be honest, my interest in Ireland was of course sparked by U2. But the country has a really interesting history. It's people have been so mistreated, yet they've surivied. It's quite a story.

Those people have been through hell. It's incredible, all the @%^&#:censored: they've been through. Yes, they survived. I don't know how. It was fiendishly difficult.:sad: :sad:

My little story:

My last yr in HS which happen to be 2001, In my yearbook there was a picture of U2 and everyone I knew and talked to at school all pointed it out to me for like a week after we got our yearbooks!

I loved it bc everyone who knows me knows that I love U2!

AvsGirl41 said:
(Incidentally, the textbook we're using, "The Course of Irish History" goes to 2001 and makes no mention of U2. I'm horrified.)

Unless it's a class on Irish Music History..it does not surprise me that U2 is not mentioned. Don't be so upset by U2 not being mentioned in your book or class. I once took a course on European history and they never mentioned the Beatles, just simply because it is considered part of Pop culture. Most times these classes are geared toward political and economic history.

Re: Re: A story from my "Ireland and the Irish" class....

daisybean said:

Unless it's a class on Irish Music History..it does not surprise me that U2 is not mentioned. Don't be so upset by U2 not being mentioned in your book or class. I once took a course on European history and they never mentioned the Beatles, just simply because it is considered part of Pop culture. Most times these classes are geared toward political and economic history.

I was joost gonna say that. :)

In the meantime, I'm taking an Irish literature class this semester and it's been interesting already (we've only had one class, the second one is this afternoon) to see how much the literature has influenced Bono's lyrics. :yes:

adamswildhoney said:
My little story:

My last yr in HS which happen to be 2001, In my yearbook there was a picture of U2 and everyone I knew and talked to at school all pointed it out to me for like a week after we got our yearbooks!

I loved it bc everyone who knows me knows that I love U2!

U2 was mentioned in my daughter's yearbook last year too. They were in for having the highest grossing tour of 2001, with a nice picture. Bono was also mentioned for the Artist Against Aids collaboration remake of "Whats Going On."

I thought that was pretty cool.

They were in my yearbook too. Now I think it was a thing they sent to every yearbook committee because other people's are just like mine. Still it was cool to know U2 was important enough to be put on it.

We used to have an issue of National Geographic with a cover story on Ireland. They had a picture of U2 onstage during Zoo TV and a picture of the fans with a paragraph about U2. However...when we moved...we gave away all of our National Geographic magazines (over 20 years worth), and I forgot to keep that issue!!!! :scream: Blarg.

daisybean said:

I'm not an idiot. In fact I'm a history major and am well aware of what history classes and textbooks usually cover.

And considering that the book has several mentions of sports, television, and literature, I was a bit surprised that U2 wasn't not mentioned but not really expecting it.

Elisabeth

Last edited:

daisybean said:

Yes. Good heavens the politics and economics is hard enough! My term paper was a killer!:laugh: :laugh:

Re: Re: Re: A story from my "Ireland and the Irish" class....

AvsGirl41 said:

I'm not an idiot. In fact I'm a history major and am well aware of what history classes and textbooks usually cover.

And considering that the book has several mentions of sports, television, and literature, I was a bit surprised that U2 wasn't not mentioned but not really expecting it.

Elisabeth

Just trying to help with typically useless commentary. :laugh: :laugh:

now it's time for a totally unrelated comment:

I'm Irish. Well, I'm not from Ireland, but my great great grandparent were. So there you go. I am Irish.
:D :shrug: :coocoo: :up: :evil:

*BOOMCHAA!* said:
now it's time for a totally unrelated comment:

I'm Irish. Well, I'm not from Ireland, but my great great grandparent were. So there you go. I am Irish.
:D :shrug: :coocoo: :up: :evil:

Yeah, me too - on my mom's side of the family anyway. I always thought it was kind of cool, even before I became a U2 fan. I wish I had taken an Irish history course in college, but it never occured to me to do it. I'm not sure the college I went to even offered it, because it wasn't a really big school. I'm pretty familiar with Irish writers and poets because I was an English major and we studied them in my literature classes, but I don't know a whole lot about the country's history. Maybe I should check out some library books on the subject.

Back
Top Bottom