A day with Bono from U2tour.de

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katey

War Child
A day with Bono from U2tour.de

Sometimes things happen so fast you hardly realise what's going on at the moment. Having Bono involved time seems to move faster than it does normally. On Tuesday, April 20th, U2tour.de got firsthand information Bono would come to Berlin the following day to attend some kind of economy meeting - no more detailed information could be provided. Our enquiries added up to Bono being one of the guest speakers at the Awards Business for Excellence Dinner. We found out that the dinner which was organized by the Global Business Coalition on HIV/AIDS would take place at the localities of Daimler Chrysler on Potsdamer Platz. After a few phone calls with Daimler Chrysler we found out that Bono would definitely come to Berlin and would possibly attend a press conference previous to the dinner. Rapidly U2tour.de team member Bj?rn Lampe got an accreditation to the press conference and awaited things to come. On Thursday morning we were informed by a Russian fan that Bono would be in Berlin earlier. Again there was a lot of enquiring, calling, mailing and another accreditation was organised. Suspense increased and at 3:00 p.m. we could publish the news on U2tour.de. In the meantime Bj?rn had set off and here is his report:

Bono had landed in Berlin about noon and got together immediately with members of the German Aktionsb?ndnis gegen AIDS and VENRO, a federation of NGO's to fight poverty in Africa. On 3:00 p.m. a meeting with members of the German government was scheduled to clarify the concern for Africa. While all this happened off the record on 16:30 p.m. Bono and Herbert Gr?nemeyer were supposed to appear together at a press conference on Gendarmenmarkt in the heart of Berlin.
Numerous journalists already were crowded in a small meeting room. About 15 photographers were located in front of the table where Bono and Herbert should be seated later. Then waiting and madness began... As usually the protagonists were a bit belated but when they entered the room a huge electrical storm created by flashlights irrupted. So we don't need to wonder about Bono wearing sunglasses whereas Herbert Gr?nemeyer might have been suffering a bit from eye troubles within the next minutes. Soon it became evident that the journalists were mostly present because of the two celebrities and not because of an earnest interest in the actual topic, the fight against AIDS.
Shortly the NGO members exemplified their concern before Bono caught hold of the microphone: "My name is Bono and I am a rockstar" he started. Gr?nemeyer later responded marvellously by saying (in German): "My name is Herbert Gr?nemeyer and I am a German singer." Then Bono talked about his motivation for sticking up for Africa and the fight against AIDS. He emphasised he wanted to talk about this subject with all parts of German society: "I am going to speak with the churches, the companies and even soccer mums. Politicians are not afraid of musicians, but if musicians are starting to get together with soccer mums, they become scared!" Herbert Gr?nemeyer also rose to speak and gave a down-to-earth estimation of the common mission: "The discussion with Gerhard Schr?der will lead to nothing but the subject has to become notified in public."
Afterwards the assembled journalists only had one question so I could address Bono without any problem. I asked him whether his good contact to Horst K?hler might be a chance to amplify the topic within the German public if K?hler will become federal president. Bono emphasised that each dialogue and all kind of publicity is important: "I have spoken to the pope, I have spoken to his girlfriend, I have spoken to so many people and I will continue to do that and keep begging."
After the press conference the well-known game started: How can you catch Bono to worm something U2 related out of him? Fortunately the van who would bring him to the next press conference on Potsdamer Platz could be located pretty fast and together with some fellow fans waiting started again. But already after 20 minutes Bono and Herbert came out and Bono willingly signed autographs. In addition I could ask him some more questions. The recordings for the new album were almost finished and finally they would know how the new record will sound like. Bono himself bargains for a single release in September and an album release in October (it has to be annotated that Bono often is wrong with statements like this). He also admitted that his band members aren't too enthusiastic about his trip to Berlin. It took him a lot of convincing to leave the boys and go on another journey for 'the good cause'. But time is short and Bono ascends into the van. Off they go to the corporate representation of Daimler Chrysler on Potsdamer Platz. Another press conference, same procedure as before.
Suspense rises as in front of the location of the Awards Business for Excellence Dinner there is a small demonstration for the increase of money to support Africa and the fight against AIDS. Bono joins the protesters and in the middle of it all he starts to talk with Heidemarie Wieczorek-Zeul, minister of foreign aid. While around them a large group of photographers fights for the best snapshots the two start a motivated discussion which lasts several minutes. Within the crowd of bickering photographers even some journalists fall down on the floor. Bono stays cool and gentleman-like and even helps a young female photographer back on her feet.
Then he walks off to the dinner where also German Chancellor Gerhard Schr?der, world bank president James Wolfensohn and Randall Tobias, global aids coordinator of the US-government, are invited to speak. Bono speaks as founder of D.A.T.A. (Debt AIDS Trade Africa). The dinner starts at 7:00 p.m. and lasts far into the night. Meanwhile numerous U2 fans have assembled around the building and are rewarded by Bono later. Than Bono betakes himself to his regular hotel when he's in Berlin, the Adlon on Pariser Platz. Even rockstars sometimes have to sleep

I just posted their link to the whole report in the Bono in Germany thread, but considering the condition of that thread maybe this new one isn't a bad idea. It will be up to the mods if it gets merged.

I had already asked this on the other thread but maybe it's better I ask it here: Bono said this in Berlin: "I have spoken to the pope, I have spoken to his girlfriend, I have spoken to so many people and I will continue to do that and keep begging."

His girlfriend? What does he mean by that? :huh:

ya Im sure what he meant the other guys girlfriend Horst .. not the Pope but ha!! it is kinda funny if you read it as the Pope's Girlfriend my irish catholic grandmother is having a heartache as the rumours spread ( just kidding gang)

and ya there's a reason I posted this here..instead of with the other thread

While around them a large group of photographers fights for the best snapshots the two start a motivated discussion which lasts several minutes. Within the crowd of bickering photographers even some journalists fall down on the floor. Bono stays cool and gentleman-like and even helps a young female photographer back on her feet.

Man some photographers an journalists are getting worse and worse with aggresive behaviour .. I mean some not any I know (wink to all my journalist photographer friends).. But look at that Bono always the gentleman.

also I bet Bono did have to do some fancy two stepping to talk his way into going to Germany if there getting that close to being done the album... I wonder if the Edge is still taking it out by playing some angry guitar and what does that mean exatly?? Is Larry taking it out on the drums and Adam well .. on the Bass?? thats one loud noisey album with no singing??

Ahh I'm just kidding folks.. I'm sure they all support Bono the best way they know how..cheers

Katey said:
ya Im sure what he meant the other guys girlfriend Horst .. not the Pope but ha!! it is kinda funny if you read it as the Pope's Girlfriend my irish catholic grandmother is having a heartache as the rumours spread ( just kidding gang)

no, he honestly meant it that way, he was saying it with a BIG smile on his face:)

all the best from berlin

Bj?rn

really .. ha!! actually kind of classic Bono thing to put in there.. he probably has talked to the Popes girlfirend.ha!!!.

Good on ya Bono ..

I think maybe he meant that he has talked with so many people that he even talked with the Pope's girlfriend, whom doesn't even exists (or so I hope). The man rules! :D

ya he he did I'm sure he meant it tongue in cheek .. but it's Bono cute .. to explain the amount of people he has met with..

blindbilly said:

no, he honestly meant it that way, he was saying it with a BIG smile on his face:)

all the best from berlin

Bj?rn

:lmao: :lmao:

his funky sense of humor is one of the things I love the most about Bono!!!

It took him a lot of convincing to leave the boys and go on another journey for 'the good cause'.

Can't help but giggle a bit at that...poor guys!:rolleyes:

E/A/L: :no: :rant: :banghead: :shame:

B::angel: :blahblah:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom