a 20yr wait..finally met Bono and Edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boriel

The Fly
i know you want details, but i dont want to write a novella either, so i'll give it a go.

went down to GM Place (Vancouver) March 19th and saw no-one, not even other fans, so left and walked about 4 miles taking three rolls of pics (i'm a budding artist/photographer). Got tired, headed back to GM Place and took one more walk around. Hear loud music. Put my ear to the glass and heard (i think) Gloria and then it stopped. Went to a better window, listened again and heard One..it was the band. I know this cause i could hear the vocals (barely) and they were different than whats on the cd recording. It only went one verse, then suddenly sounded like Streets have no Name then quit. Walked down the outside stairs to the ground level and saw about 5 young girls standing watching two black cars and a bunch of security guys all standing around with head sets and walkie talkies. I kept walking. It was raining, my bag with my camera was getting wet by now, and my feet were killing me. I walked a block to our transit system (rail train) and paid the fare, went up to the platform and waited for the next one to arrive. I looked over at GM Place again, and to this day dont know why i walked back over there. My feet just took me. By then, there were about 15 people standing waiting and one fellow told me that Bono had come out and spoken with fans the night before, and that they were off to the airport to go to Los Angeles tonight. I waited. Got soaked. Hair dripping, water into my eyes soaked. And cold. The cars suddenly backed into the bay doors of the stadium, and the doors closed again.

A security guard came over and told us that they were going to move the barricades, and if we all lined up side by side single file, Bono would drive out, get out of the car and meet us one by one. No time for pics or autographs he warned. We lined up very calmly and quickly. The doors opened up, both cars came out and then Bono was out of the vehicle and greeting the first fans.

I realized that he was taking too long with each fan - great for us all, but his 'handler' looked like he was getting impatient, and i had visions of Bono being whisked back into the car before getting to me in line, so i took all my 'stuff' out to be ready to hand it to him in a flash

my stuff - I had my camera around my neck, inside my open coat to protect it from the rain. I also had an envelope with letters and photos in it for all the guys which was getting damp, and something else for Bono, and not enough hands to hold it all.

While i was waiting for Bono to come closer, Edge got out of the car. He stopped, looked at us all lined up, looked back and Bono and the look on his face was funny. It was like "aw man, we're going to be late for our plane'. He looked over, saw me and made a bee-line straight for me. He stood about 2 ft away from me and just stared, said nothing. I said nothing, and held out the envelope. He took it, said nothing, and read the four names on it then looked at me again while putting it inside his coat. We just looked at each other saying nothing. It was weird. I stuck my hand out and he shook my hand and i said 'thank you'. He smiled abit and turned and walked away. I tried to get pics but all i got was the back of his head :D

By this time Bono was standing in front of me. I was surprised at his size - not just his height, but he looks slimmer, his face looks slimmer, his nose looked sharper. His eyes are very very intense and like Edge, focus on you and only you while he is talking to you. I held out the item for him and asked if he had one yet. He looked at it and his eyes widened, and he said 'no, no i dont. Where did you get it?' I told him and he had my hand in both his hands to look closer at it. 'Good for you' he said. I pushed it more definitely into his hand and he took it and gripped it like it was going to be stolen or something :D He took my hand again and shook my hand, first like a normal handshake and then like ...well, like a biker or a hip hop buddy would do..more like clenching the fist in your fist. He smiled one more time and moved on. Then i took pics!

if anyone wants pics, you'll have to let me know and i'll post them. (but you''ll have to tell this babyface how to do that...hyperlink? direct imbedding pic into thread? not sure how to accomplish that but i take directions fabulously)

this is getting long...so real quick - impressions:

Edge - more to him than meets the eye. Shrewd man, quick thinker, sizes you up in a hurry. Possibly shy, more likely not wanting to get dragged into the whole 'star' thing. Still smiles for the fans though and takes the time to be seen

Bono-i dont think he's shy. I think because he is so soft spoken he might be thought of that way, but i think he loves people. He's intense but a quiet intense - but i think he can be in your face too (with politicians hehe). I also think that he has a quirky sense of humor (a practical joker perhaps?).

both men had a glow to them. They looked their age, yes, but they didnt have harsh edges (not even Edge LOL) They wont ever look as bad as Keith Richard for example. They seem comfortable in their own skin, and i'm pretty sure (with Bono at any rate) that what we all saw was the real Bono.

bonosloveslave said:
Great story :applaud:

And yes - please post pics! Lots of info in this thread:

Gahhh, now I'm DYING to know what the mystery item is that you gave to Bono.....:crazy:

if i can figure the pics, you might be able to spot it in his hand :D

Last edited:
hmm.. cant remember. i think i was too enthralled to notice much but the guys in front of me LOL.

and hopefullly this is my 15th post so i can post my pics in the next one. :::crosses fingers:::

okay, here goes - its a long page and sorry i cant resize them smaller.

F1000015.jpg

F1000016.jpg

F1000017.jpg

F1000018.jpg

F1000019.jpg

F1000020.jpg

F1000022.jpg

F1000021.jpg

Last edited:
thanks...considering i had the wrong lens on my camera...not bad for a new photographer.

as for the *mystery* item i gave Bono, it was a bracelet..a white one. You can see it looped around his left fingers in most of the pics.

he was quite thrilled by it actually.

Last edited:
Great story and thanks for posting the pics! I've been waiting for someone to post some from U2's visit here. I think I'd be rather speechless if I met them too. Did any of you manage to catch what some of the other fans were asking or was it all a bit of an exciting blur?

Last edited:
Slipstream said:
Great story and thanks for posting the pics! I've been waiting for someone to post some from U2's visit here. I think I'd be rather speechless if I met them too. Did any of you manage to catch what some of the other fans were asking or was it all a bit of an exciting blur?

i was too worried about getting my envelope to Edge to really listen to Bono and he speaks very softly. Then when he was done with me, and moved on, i was trying too hard to get pics :D

I did see him spend extra time with a mentally challenged girl and with a man who had a 2-3 yr old with him. And he kissed an older lady in a black leather jacket...and signed albums even though his body guard (the bald guy in white) kept trying to move him down the line faster.

awww great story, Bono alwasy spends time with fans even though he'll prob be late for something.

Nice pictures, He's wearing his wings again!!! :drool:

love2bmama said:
Ok, I saw the One bracelet you gave him (very cool, by the way!) but what was in the envelopes??

Awesome pics, too!! Bono looks great, very relaxed and in his element.

he seemed very relaxed, yes. which sure made the rest of us relaxed too - no-one screamed out his name or went nuts, which was sooo nice.

as for the envelope to Edge, there was a one page letter to each of them saying some stuff (bono's letter was two pages) and a photograph for each of them, that i took and thought they might like. I heard that Adam is a photographer, and Larry apparently paints.

That is so cool! Your a nice person! You deserved to meet them!

What an incredible story--- once again I have goosebumps!!

Your pictures are gorgeous! You did a really nice job.

Nice memories to hold onto...................

Great pic's boriel!! :yes:
That was a gut instinct that told you to go back. This will serve you well in your quest to become a great photographer. Works for you so far. :wink:
Thanks for sharing your story. :up:

thanks for the story and the awesome pictures! You must have a really good camera those pictures turned out great. So clear!:applaud:

Bono's Betty said:
thanks for the story and the awesome pictures! You must have a really good camera those pictures turned out great. So clear!:applaud:

its a pentax something or other. i dont hold much to digitals for good pics especially on cloudy rainy days and especially with people moving around alot - its a very good camera since i just point and click and the pics turn out focused and sharp :D

U2FloridaFan said:
Great photos boriel. How freaky that something told you to go back:happy: I'm soooo jealous.

always *always* listen to that inner voice - whether you call it intution, sixth sense, divine inspiration (thats what i call mine), whatever....listen to it i say! hee. :D (sometimes it knows best)

Back
Top Bottom