6th RSOC meeting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AM

Refugee
Another Tuesday and time again for our weekly meeting.

Agenda:

1) Post your favorite Sparky quotes. Either quote the main man or quote someone who?s talking about Adam
smile.gif

2) Special greetings to Sparkys girl, who was banned from Interference
frown.gif
(??? too many sexy Sparky pics??? )

3) Sexy pics (shouldn?t be a problem
biggrin.gif
)

mipromo.jpg

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

What a wonderful way to start of a wonderful day got my head filled with U2!
Quotes on Adam- my speciality!!

"At school he stuck out like a sore thumb.
He used to drink coffee in class and the teachers got used to it. He wore a kilt. He also took off his clothes at one rehearsal when he got very excited." - Bono, on Adam

Making love involves two people, having sex only involves one." -Adam, during a TV special for the Love Town Tour, 1989

"Adam had the only amplifier so we never argued with him. We thought this guy must be a musician, he knows what he's talking about. Adam pretended he could play and used words like 'gig' and talked about things like 'action' on the bass and we thought 'this is a guy who can play!'
He was a liar. He actually couldn't play a note. Dave was just playing away on the acoustic and people just kept on coming up and saying 'there's something wrong' and we couldn't figure out what it was until suddenly we thought - It's Adam! Adam can't play.
He had his own distinctive style from the start - at first it was called BLUFF, but then it began to work." - Bono describing Adam's early musical ability, October 1979.

Bahhahhah!!!
ad-bluehat.jpg

------------------
Move me a mountain

My fanatical U2 webpage: Take Me Higher

[This message has been edited by oliveu2cm (edited 09-11-2001).]

Why is it not saying I posted a reply?

Here this is for Sparkys Girl!

I know it has all of them in it, but Adam looks so scrumpaf*&kinglicious

M997637.jpg

------------------
Move me a mountain

Sorry Sparky lovers! I just can't stop!! Blame it on the caffiene and tour announcement!!

(From On The Road To Pop, an interview around 1982) "We're getting a lot of calls from ladies about Bono. They're asking whether or not Bono is really married, and we're receiving lost of telephone numbers as well! But let's get the straight story. BOno has gotten married, hasn't he?"
The guitarist hedged, "Uhhhhmmmmm...."
Adam pounced, 'Yeah! But you can give *me* the telephone numbers."
Later, continuing their pattern as comedian and straight man, Adam and Edge pondered a question about U2's involvement scoring a ballet for the Dublin theater. "This is the other face of U2," Edge answered
with mock seriousness. "Though we may be impersonating a rock and roll band at the moment, Adam has been practicing ballet for the last ten years - very conscientiously."
"I'm still workign on my thighs," the bass player continued unabashed, 'but they just dont look right."
Attempting to steer the interview back to slightly more seious matters, I asked Edge if he feared being labeled a 'guitar hero' as a result of his highly originial style. Before he could reply, Adam interrupted, "I don't think guitar players are heroes really, it's drummers nad bass players. You've got it all wrong."

------
(1984 Interview)

Adam jumped in: "It's obvious with The UF who's important. I mean, Edge doesn't really play any guitar on it and it's the rhythm section that makes that record. In fact, we're thinking of losing a member for the next couple of records!"
"What I like about the bass playing on that album is that it exists where it should be - on the bottom," Edge retaliated.
Adam laughed, "Like where you can't hear it?"
Edge pressed his attack. "There's no exursions by the bass player into the mid and high frequencies."
"Aw, c'mon! What about 'Wire', that's a pretty filthy bass sound on that!"
"Yeah, that's a highlight, actually," Edge agreed.
"The bass sound on 'Wire' is one of the *the* highlights of that album."
..Edge: "There hasn't been a great deal of time to follow solo projects."
"Like buying furniture?" Adam interjected.
"If you got up early in the morning you could buy bleedin' furniture! This man doesn't get up untilthree in the afternoon most days!" Edge laughed.
Adam clarified: "Edge's solo project for the past few months has been buying furniture. Whenever Edge's missing, we say 'he's buying furniture.'"
"It's just jealously because his house is in shambles!""
I asked, "Adam, do you own a house?"
"No, I live in a squat, that's why it looks so bad."
Edge quickly added, "Adam actually lives in an upturned Land Rover."
"With a hole cut in the roof so the smoke gets out," Adam finished witha chuckle.

------------------
Move me a mountain

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
Edge quickly added, "Adam actually lives in an upturned Land Rover."
"With a hole cut in the roof so the smoke gets out," Adam finished witha chuckle.

LMAO - this is great. Thanks oliveu2cm. You made my day! BTW - where?s Cat. She?s missing a great thread.

Another quote about HIS job:
When you start out, you make one or two records that put you solidly in debt with the record company. Then, if your third record makes some money, you have to pay back at the record company, and if you're lucky, you have enough money to live for a year. Then, after that, the band is bigger, you have to expand your organization and do more professional shows, so you're sort of back in debt again. You never really catch up; for those first five years you're probably better off on the dole. - Adam

One thing I love really about Adam is his optimism:
I think the important thing to retain through life is optimism. It doesn't have to be something that you necessarily get from Christianity. You just have to feel that way about life. - Adam, 1983

Although it's a confusing time, I think it is genuinely exciting. I think the world is filled with possibilities at the moment. - Adam, 1993

adam_003.jpg

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

"It was like - throw out technology. Give us a microphone and a bit of tape and you do the bit in between."
Adam describing the simplicity of recording in the legendary Sun Studio, 1989.

Adambass.jpg

------------------

[This message has been edited by AM (edited 09-11-2001).]

I'm here!
smile.gif
Great quotes, I, too, love the one about the Land Rover.
HEre's my contribution to the sexiest man on Earth
wink.gif
:

GlasgowAdam.jpg

GlasgowAdam2.jpg

"What happens is like you get so big that you can't write a diary. So you hire a film-crew to remind you of where you've been and what you've done."

"You know, one or two members of the band could've said, 'Look, guys, I'm happy to do the record, but I don't wanna tour. I wanna stay home and get on with my stamp collection' or whatever, and then we'd have had to look at the record in a different way."

"I would say POP is based on my musical style."

"Every band needs someone like Bono in it. When you join a band you don't know who's good at what. I'm really pleased that Bono took the job that he took and that I took the job that I took."

"Never let the truth get in the way of a good story"

back22.jpg

------------------

Originally posted by CatDubh:

I wanna stay home and get on with my stamp collection' or whatever,

... or a spoon collection or whatever
biggrin.gif

------------------

Please forgive me for posting again, but I have to share this quote.

U2 bass player Adam Clayton talks about the role of icons and influences in his musical wonderland.
"There is a top five of musical icons and it's The Beatles at number one, the Stones at number two and after that, it can get a bit hazy. There's Zeppelin, The Who, Bruce Springsteen, James Brown, Marvin Gaye, Van Morrison. There are records and artists you can't imagine life without having heard them. The top five or ten doesn't change or move that much. They're the records which make up who we are. Maybe for people born in the Seventies, it might be Prince rather than The Beatles but the line-up is fairly constant. It feels odd when we are put in that list because very few people get added to the list. Maybe we have a place in a top ten but it's someone else's list. My list is already full!"

------------------

*appologizes profusely for being late for the RSOC meeting again!*
smile.gif

I'm sure this will make up for it!
biggrin.gif

2K55646.jpg

------------------
You're singing out of tune but the beat's in time; it's us who makes the noise.

Don't use this quote in your signature, I'm making it my signature when I upgrade to the next status. (War Child?)

?Hard as it is to keep it together, it is still possible to have those moments when it?s just the four of you being able to keep the rest of the world out... and that?s what it?s all about.?
-Adam, on the relationship of the band

------------------
"I can't believe the news today,
Oh, I can't close my eyes
And make it go away.
How long...
How long must we sing this song?
How long? How long...
'cause tonight...we can be as one."

Love to all of you,
Emily

Originally posted by AM:
Another Tuesday and time again for our weekly meeting.

Agenda:

frown.gif

3)
mipromo.jpg

You know AM, that is exactly what I thought had happened. Fortunately it was just a glitch in the system.
Here is a great pic of a smiling, happy Adam, oh btw...the 3 other guys in the pic also look happy! What cuties!!!
smile.gif

------------------
"She is the dreamer, she's imagination..."

*+*MaRiA*+*

Originally posted by sparkys girl:
Originally posted by AM:

frown.gif
You know AM, that is exactly what I thought had happened. Fortunately it was just a glitch in the system.
Here is a great pic of a smiling, happy Adam, oh btw...the 3 other guys in the pic also look happy! What cuties!!!
smile.gif

war_gallery_1.jpg

[/B]
sorry guys, this is the image i wanted you to see!

------------------
"She is the dreamer, she's imagination..."

*+*MaRiA*+*

Back
Top Bottom