54th RSOC meeting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AM

Refugee
Adam_head.jpg

Welcome to our 54th meeting. I was thinking about starting our meeting with some nice quotes...

"... and then i saw adam, and he just looked so cool. and i said, 'i want to be in a rock n' roll band with him.'"
-Larry (achtung video)

now who wouldn?t :sexywink:

BP: What's your real-life dream?
Adam: To play bass.

so let?s fulfill his dream and post pics of Adam playing bass

adam_blue.jpg

ada_fingers.jpg

U2_ZooTV_Adam_01.jpg

ad-pop21.jpg

adamvegas.jpg

And now for some quotes....

"I think women are the stronger sex. I don't think it's necessarily putting women on a pedestal, but I think it's acknowledging that women are stronger and you need their support and companionship to help you realise your potential as a man. That's an unusual theme in rock & roll. Rock & Roll is usually...(very macho) yeah" --Adam

BP: IF YOU WERE AN ANIMAL WHAT ANIMAL WOULD YOU BE?
Adam: "A giraffe. Why? 'Cos then you'd meet other giraffes."

"And if it doesn't work, we'll just blame Eno." (That's one of MY favorites :))

"I find it amusing that people think I'm together [because] I'm
the most untogether person I know. In the band, they just say, 'here comes chaos.'
Oh, I want to be together - it's my ambition to one day get my own life in order and tie it up with string
and be as organized as somebody like Adam....Clayton's unbelievable. Field Marshal Clayton!
For a guy who can stay out all night, if he needs to be up at 8am, he'll be there at 8am on the button."
-Bono, from U2: a Road to Pop

Rock 'n' roll is a term that's been heavily abused.
It's not something you can buy in a record shop. It's an attitude. - Adam

"Adam used to pretend he could play bass.
He came round and started using words like 'action' and 'fret' and he had us baffled." -Bono

"Some artists become dull when they stop drinking or drugging, but Adam's not one of them. He's his old self. He loses none of his rubber-band-shooting,water-gun-squirting, public-disrobing spirit when he doesn't drink." - Bono

One of my favorite stories!

At 2am everyone's settled in and had a shower, and U2 congregates on a high piazza from which they can look down on the crowd, who are finally dispersing, and drink wine. There's Edge and Aislinn, Larry and Ann, Adam and Naomi, Ned and Maurice, Christy, Chanty - a Dublin friend of Edge's - Sheila, Eileen, Dennis, and Bono. Naomi decides she's going to get some food and goes off to find the hotel kitchen. Officially it's shut down, but she implies that if she can get at a stove she'll whip up something herself. Maybe that's a threat designed to stir sleeping chefs to action, maybe it's sincere. I don't know, I don't care. Everone here is just enjoying the moon and the night and company. After a while, though, Adam begins to wonder where his fiancee's gone. Christy (who often seems to act as Naomi's conscience - or at least social governor) says she'll go check. She comes back a few minutes later with news that Naomi is in the middle of a full-pitched screaming battle downstairs. Adam looks half concerned. "Is she fighting with anyone employed by me?" "No," Christy says. "She fighting with the chef." "Oh." Adam relaxes. "That's fine." ......Naomi's no-nonsense air of entitlement rubs some of these people the wrong way. Adam's fiancee is graceful and full of style, but she occasionally seems to think employee is another name for servant. One spoiled crew member whispered to me that Naomi was the person on the tour most likely to have a flight case dropped on her head. Naomi returns to our company, stretches languidly across the back of Adam's chair, and pouts that the chef, who refused to cook, would not stand aside and let her at the stove. She is upset and she is going to bed. She kisses Adam goodnight, kisses Christy goodnight, waves to everone else, and then walks straight into the glass door with a shuddering crash. Everyone jumps up, but Naomi just reels back, laughs, and tries again, this time passing through the open side and back into the hotel. "That'll straighten her out," says the gallant Adam. -Bill Flanagan's Until The End Of The World

In the early days our ambition was just to end the song together!"
- Adam

"Adam had the only amplifier so we never argued with him.
We thought this guy must be a musician, he knows what he's talking about.
Adam pretended he could play and used words like 'gig' and talked about
things like 'action' on the bass and we thought 'this is a guy who can play!'
He was a liar. He actually couldn't play a note.
Dave was just playing away on the acoustic and people just
kept on coming up and saying 'there's something wrong' and we couldn't figure out what it was
until suddenly we thought - It's Adam! Adam can't play.
He had his own distinctive style from the start - at first it was called BLUFF, but then it began to work."
Bono describing Adam's early musical ability, October 1979. :lol:

"I'm famous because I know Bono."
-Adam, on fame

"I just passed Adam, I said, Adam, you're 40, do
you have anything to say? And he said, obscurely, How
long do I have to sing this song?"
- Bono, in the YahooChat, 12 March 2000

happy adam day all!!

ok, here's my favorite adam story (although it's been posted many times)

"There was a night in L.A. in the early part of the tour when we had a death threat that the police were taking very seriously indeed. Someone had sent the gun license into the U2 offices and they thought he had gotten into the venue. All of a sudden there were all these people on the stage which I really objected to. I never thought that sort of thing would bother me and, when I went out, it didn't. I just laughed it off, like The Blues Brothers - 'We're on a mission from God and we ain't finished yet.' The second night came up and the cops came up to us just before we were about to go on and said they'd made a mistake, He was coming tonight! "Now we get all kinds of racist jibes because we wrote a song for Martin Luther King, or pinko jibes because we did the Amnesty International Tour. Wherever you look we're a target for the loony fringe. So the second night, we're on stage and I'm singing 'Pride' thinking, 'If someone is going to do it it will be during this number.' So I crouched down on the stage, shut my eyes and for a moment the thought of death crossed my mind. When I looked up I just saw Adam standing over me, between me and the crowd. It was a good, good moment."?Bono

:heart:

OMG.....adam playing bass and no pics of his most famous and best (funniest) looking one....the auerswald aka the banana bass...:shocked:

guess i gotta fix that :yes:

ad-pop10.jpg

adam_39.jpg

adamstrum.jpg

official pic from the auerswald website :D

orange_adam9.jpg

Seattle_wagner_ad.jpg

I wrote "The Adam Clayton Blues" last night (with help...)
It's got music and everything.
But that is to be shared another day...

upright bass?
jtuprightbass.jpg

the rest of this post will be a tribute to the fro
octthefro.jpg

oh yeah

octshinyfro.jpg

it has an inner radiance

octfroshirt.jpg

all attempts to tame it have failed

ufsmile.jpg

ufadamyellow.jpg

I have a special fondness for that one. Huh, wonder why.

quote to come later

Alloalloallo fellow RSOCers....i was at the Coldplay show this past sat, and i saw the bass player has a mini-fro...I was wonderin' how many other bass players were hair-inspired by our number one hombre....

i might have to find some pics.....if i can get my butt in front of the comp for any decent period of time!

tis from a TV show I happened to be coding at the time.
TFI Friday: A Grand Madness, tis hilarryous :D
So, I got the whole thing, it's like 20 minutes.

Kristie said:
tis from a TV show I happened to be coding at the time.
TFI Friday: A Grand Madness, tis hilarryous :D
So, I got the whole thing, it's like 20 minutes.

the funniest bit is the way Adam can laugh about himself. This man got the best sence of humor!!!

Kristie, any chance you can put this whole thing up?

gina sent me to see Mr Lemon's site....and the first pic that caught my eye was the one with him grinnin'......eye crinkles are just too sexy!

AM said:

the funniest bit is the way Adam can laugh about himself. This man got the best sence of humor!!!

Kristie, any chance you can put this whole thing up?

oh geez
uhm it's like 200 megs, I could maybe if only ONE person downloaded it...
I could burn it to cd and mail it maybe, I'd have to find the post office at school first before I make any promises

(((RSOC)))

Happy belated Adam day! :kiss:

I just :heart: all these quotes about how Adam tricked them all at first :eeklaugh:

"Adam used to pretend he could play bass. He came round and started using words like 'action' and 'fret' and he had us baffled." -Bono

"Adam had the only amplifier so we never argued with him. We thought this guy must be a musician, he knows what he's talking about. Adam pretended he could play and used words like 'gig' and talked about things like 'action' on the bass and we thought 'this is a guy who can play!' He was a liar. He actually couldn't play a note. Dave was just playing away on the acoustic and people just kept on coming up and saying 'there's something wrong' and we couldn't figure out what it was until suddenly we thought - It's Adam! Adam can't play. He had his own distinctive style from the start - at first it was called BLUFF, but then it began to work."
~Bono describing Adam's early musical ability, October 1979.

"Adam was just getting people to do him up in the back and swapping makeup tips with any girl that passed. You know suddenly he could own up to being interested in their underwear!"
~Bono, regarding the making of the One video

Back
Top Bottom