30 Years!!!!! And Counting......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjc

The Fly
Hi people!!

Now, if my memory serves me right and if my Math is still some good, Larry placed that ad to form a band in 1976.

Which means this year U2 turns 30!!!!!

I think some well wishes are in order!

HAPPY ANIVERSARY!!

nikkyjade said:
October is a while away like.....but happy 30th year anyway! :wink:

cant believe they been together this long.....so great!

oh, so it's in October...... silly me...
actually I didn't know the time of the year when Larry placed that ad....

I just happened to realize it's been 30 years...... and moreover, the same 4 guys that started then...

That says something about friendship and loyalty......

mjc said:

whatever time of the year that is, I think we should celebrate all year long.......:wink:

agreed... we should organise a big PLEBA party, and the band should come too...... :drool: Bono is SO not getting out of there alive.... nor will the others I think...

According to the June 2005 edition ofThe Dubliner magazine article, the exact date that Larry posted the ad for band mates, on the Mount Temle school notice board, was 3rd September 1976.:nerd:

hcbiggs2002 said:
According to the June 2005 edition ofThe Dubliner magazine article, the exact date that Larry posted the ad for band mates, on the Mount Temle school notice board, was 3rd September 1976.:nerd:

ah yeah, thank you ^^ I got that on my pc here... :) I knew I didn't dream taht or so...

wait, but it it was september... then ... Bono.. LIED! he lied to Conan O'Brien! :shame: bad bad bad boy Bono! he said at the conan show(oct. 6) that it was 29 years ago, THIS week...
should we punish him for lying to the world?

hcbiggs2002 said:

and i was born on September 1....... only in '77.....

Galeongirl said:
wait, but it it was september... then ... Bono.. LIED! he lied to Conan O'Brien! :shame: bad bad bad boy Bono! he said at the conan show(oct. 6) that it was 29 years ago, THIS week...

lie, or no lie...God, i would love to see that Conan show... Problem is here in Romania we don't get Conan's shows (no American TV network for that matter, except CNN).

How could I possibly get to see it too?

Galeongirl said:

....and come on....he was off by just a month...... you know, 29 years do things to one's memory.

arw9797 said:
Bono also said at the Milwaukee show on Sept 25 that U2 had their first meeting 29 years ago that week.

he was going for imotional impact, I think, with both statements.... :rolleyes:
That does sound like something he would do.......:wink:

mjc said:

lie, or no lie...God, i would love to see that Conan show... Problem is here in Romania we don't get Conan's shows (no American TV network for that matter, except CNN).

I think it's available at youtube.com ... they had the secrets and the year 2000 at least..
also random fact, Adam clayton got arrested for drug posession at the day I was born.... :rolleyes:

yes but if the ad was posted the 3rd of September, when did they rehearsed in Larry's kitchen?
That would be the real date....

Ok, so lets say that this is the memorial year of the beginning of a madness that makes girls from the age of 3 to 103 jump up and down whenever four Irish boys appear on the TV screen, the incurable, infectious disease that not only made decent citizens shouting loudly things like "ifyouwalkawaywalkawayiwillfolloooooooooooooooooow", but also made normal people not doing anything useful but sitting in front of a blue computer screen giggling and drooling.... :wink:

And yeah, have I forgotten to mention that this was also the year, when we started to regain our faith that good can win over evil, that love can have dignity again, that friendship is about loyalty rather then selfishness, that this world can be a better place to be....
So, with or without U2 is not a question. I would like to say thank you for the boys for letting us spend all these years with them and wish them strength and love for the next decades! :heart:

mjc said:

It's on U2torrents. :)

Nube Gris said:
yes but if the ad was posted the 3rd of September, when did they rehearsed in Larry's kitchen?
That would be the real date....

well, larry's post was to come rehearse at his home in the afternoon... so it was the same day
october is prolly the day of the real line up... since dik left the band in a month... wich would be october.. and Ivan was kicked out shortly after that or so...

Back
Top Bottom