2003 Academy Awards Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Schmeg said:
Aww, those pics are nice...I was so looking forward to an acceptance speech, the cute little interviews later...I think I'm more sad about that than angry about Eminem.

Yeah I feel more sad and disappointed. For some reason I had a bad feeling all day that they might not win. What really hurt was that when they read the noms and they got to Eminem my mom said that would probably win...and then it did. Every time she does that whether she knows anything about it whatever she says wins.

I did enjoy the performance and my mom made a unique observation in that she said she never saw Bono open his mouth that much during the opera part...my mom what can I say.

arw9797 I agree with you, tho I havent seen all the films. I was just hoping for Martin to win bc in his whole directing career he has NEVER won. I mean we are talking about the man that brought us "RAGING BULL".

ok, i am in complete shock, no having said that, i will say that is U2 didn't win i am glad that it was eminem, now don't yell at me yet this is why...as much as some people hate him he really is a talented writer, and lose yourself was a lot better then the other songs apart from hands of course, so i guess it could be worse, it could have been the song from chicago. so i guess for me i am devastated U2 didn't win but glad that eminem won over the others

Kariann said:

Yeah I feel more sad and disappointed. For some reason I had a bad feeling all day that they might not win. What really hurt was that when they read the noms and they got to Eminem my mom said that would probably win...and then it did. Every time she does that whether she knows anything about it whatever she says wins.

I did enjoy the performance and my mom made a unique observation in that she said she never saw Bono open his mouth that much during the opera part...my mom what can I say.
:shifty: When they were announcing the award I said, "Wouldn't it be ironic if Eminem won?"

I jinxed them! :scream: It's all my fault!

My mom made fun of Edge's hat. :mad: It's her fault!!!

*will keep blaming random people until U2 gets their Oscar*

*is planning on bringing an Oscar-esque statuette to Ireland to give to U2 before I get arrested for stalking*

Eminem

capt.1048482575.oscars_eosc317.jpg

I do have to say that I am a little bothered that Eminem didnt even go and perform and ended up winning. Anyone know if he had a commitment or just chose not to do the show. I admit it would have added a very intersesting flavor.

I havent seen The Pianist but since Daniel Day-Lewis didnt win I was really happy to see Adrian Brody win. I thought his being taken by surprise and how moved he seemed to be really sweet and refreshing.

If U2 hadn't been nominated I would have cheered on Eminem and been elated that he won, even though I would have been disappointed for Paul Simon. I'm usually all for the underdog, until the underdog beats the grand masters without even bothering to show up.

I think he chose not to do the show, and I think I read that somewhere on Interference, but I could be totally wrong.

Eminem turned down his invitation to attend and perform. I don't understand why he thought he was too cool to attend.

I think I would have been slightly ok with his win, because I saw the movie. The fact that he was an ass and didn't even go and then seeing U2 the past few months and hearing about how excited they were and how gracious they were being about the fact that they were even nominated sucks.

I agree with Cali*Gal that if U2 couldn't win the Oscar, I'm glad it was Eminem. If it had been anyone else, I would have been angry.
I think the Academy wanted to 1) appear on the cutting edge (heh, I said :edge: ) and 2) acknowledge a movie that made over $100 million dollars. And that's why Eminem won over Our Boys, IMHO.
That said, I think U2 really wanted this award very much, and I'm sorry that they didn't get it. I wonder if they're going to make the round of after-Oscar parties now. It was sooooo nice to see them all with their ladies, except Adam (who looked wonderful) and the gals looked so beautiful, especially Morleigh--I loved that dress!
Bono was probably going to wish Ali a Happy Birthday from the stage when he won...:hug:
Anyway, my wish for U2 now is for them to go home to Dublin and work on that album! They've had their taste of Hollywood glamour and glitz and now it's time for them to do what they do best--make music together.
Just my .02...
Diane

Schmeg said:

:shifty: When they were announcing the award I said, "Wouldn't it be ironic if Eminem won?"

I jinxed them! :scream: It's all my fault!

My mom made fun of Edge's hat. :mad: It's her fault!!!

*will keep blaming random people until U2 gets their Oscar*

*is planning on bringing an Oscar-esque statuette to Ireland to give to U2 before I get arrested for stalking*

Oh my you and my mom were on the same wavelength! I have to admit my heart was racing and I was really nervous but I think it was because somehow I just felt their name wouldnt be read. :sad:

My mom also commented on Edge's hat! Then again she always does...and are your ready for this she said she didnt think Bono looked very good! :ohmy: I think it was the beard...and I warned her about that.

Diane L said:

Bono was probably going to wish Ali a Happy Birthday from the stage when he won...:hug
I wanted to hear that soooo bad because I think he was going to say it too!
:mad:
The whole group looked great, really classy. I do feel bad for them because they did really want to win it. Golden Globes are nice, Grammies are great, but damn...an Oscar. And Eminem can say he has one and I don't think he even gives a shit. THAT'S not fair.
Well good night...I have to be at work in 6 hours...and I could have gone to bed at 10:30!
Academy: :madspit: ...again...

Schmeg said:
If U2 hadn't been nominated I would have cheered on Eminem and been elated that he won, even though I would have been disappointed for Paul Simon. I'm usually all for the underdog, until the underdog beats the grand masters without even bothering to show up.

I think he chose not to do the show, and I think I read that somewhere on Interference, but I could be totally wrong.

I'm not a big fan Who of Eminem but I do like Lose Yourself. I was thinking he chose not do the show but wasnt sure. It makes me kind of wonder if he really cared it won an Oscar.

capt.1048482897.oscars_eosc279.jpg

Can anybody make these bigger? There from Wire images

981963.jpg
981964.jpg
981982.jpg
981981.jpg
981965.jpg

I dont think Eminem should have won, he didn't even bother to show up.

Im happy though for Roman Polanski, but I do think that Martin deserves the Oscar.

Also I was annoyed at how Michael Moore started ranting on about how ashamed he was of George Bush

Last edited:
Re: Re: Eminem

adamswildhoney said:

when was this??? i missed this!!!!:ohmy:

well since Bono was not on stage tonite except to perform I would imagine it was after the performance. I guess I wasn't paying attention to Bono, too busy looking for Edge and listening to Larry play Sunday Bloody Sunday.

:barf: we all have our opinions. one i've held strong to for years, even though I *am* a drummer and one of the people I respect most is a drummer/percussionist, I do not think that rap is music. It does not have a melody or a harmony. To me, it's all about the lyrics and how fast they can be said. When I am unfortunate to see yet another rap artist video on MTV2, I am disgusted by how women are portrayed and how the rap artists portray themselves in the videos. That said, it disgusts me, saddens me, and angers me that that form of music beat out some very talented people. I'm not saying that eminem doesn't have talent. I just don't think that what he does is considered music, and therefore, I don't think it should have been placed in a musical category in the first place.

Anyone can write powerful lyrics. It's poetry in all its lyrical sense.

:sigh: nevermind. I'm just saddened, that's all.

Moonie

Kariann said:

Oh my you and my mom were on the same wavelength! I have to admit my heart was racing and I was really nervous but I think it was because somehow I just felt their name wouldnt be read. :sad:

My mom also commented on Edge's hat! Then again she always does...and are your ready for this she said she didnt think Bono looked very good! :ohmy: I think it was the beard...and I warned her about that.

Me: "Look Mom, there's U2 sitting in the audience"

Mom: "Oh, take your hat off, sir."

lol :eeklaugh:

moon_is_playing_tricks said:
:barf: we all have our opinions. one i've held strong to for years, even though I *am* a drummer and one of the people I respect most is a drummer/percussionist, I do not think that rap is music. It does not have a melody or a harmony. To me, it's all about the lyrics and how fast they can be said. When I am unfortunate to see yet another rap artist video on MTV2, I am disgusted by how women are portrayed and how the rap artists portray themselves in the videos. That said, it disgusts me, saddens me, and angers me that that form of music beat out some very talented people. I'm not saying that eminem doesn't have talent. I just don't think that what he does is considered music, and therefore, I don't think it should have been placed in a musical category in the first place.

Anyone can write powerful lyrics. It's poetry in all its lyrical sense.

:sigh: nevermind. I'm just saddened, that's all.

Moonie

:yes: :wave:

i'm poking my head into this thread too, which makes it the third or 4th time i've said the same thing about the oscars:

:mad: x 10 to be exact.

i could be more angry...jack nicholson could have won best actor, and the guy who directed chicago could have been the one to steal what should have been scorsese's award. but other than that the choices could not have been worse. maybe i'm just saying that because i hate eminem about as much as i love u2. and because daniel day-lewis is my favouriute actor. and cos GONY is my favourite movie.

:mad:

and i'm mad at myself for watching the whole thing, and thinking that there was no way the acadmey poeple could have chosen eminem over u2. or anyone over day-lewis...speaking of whom: was he really crying?? and here i was thinking i was imagining things...

adamswildhoney said:
arw9797 I agree with you, tho I havent seen all the films. I was just hoping for Martin to win bc in his whole directing career he has NEVER won. I mean we are talking about the man that brought us "RAGING BULL".

and mean streets
and taxi driver
and goodfellas

it would have bothered me a lot more if someone other than polanski had won, same with someone other than brody winning best actor. but still...scorsese should have won that. day-lewis should have won.

u2 should have won.

anyone else here from massachusetts and see the boston globe? i have never yelled at an inanimate object more in my life. this one guy said that u2 would win, eminem should win, and u2 shouldn't have been nominated because THTBA wrecked the flow of the movie. makes me wonder if this guy knew which song was the u2 song...and the other critic called them "sanctimoniously runny" :mad: not to mention one said day-lewis shouldn't have been nomniated (the one who said THTBA killed the movie's flow)

I don't know how Hands could have ruined the flow of the movie. I wasn't a huge fan of the song until I saw the movie. I just sat in the theater listening to it after watching an incredibly powerful movie and thought that it was a nice reflection piece for the movie.

The thing that I am mad about the most is that M&M wrote a song and acted in a movie about his life. I can do that too. I'm just glad he wasn't nominated for best actor. I think anyone of us could act in a movie about their life.

:scream: I wanted U2 to win so bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It doesn't even feel like the Oscars even happened. It sucks cause there's only a few pictures of them floating around the internet and that's probably all we will see. I just feel completely robbed of the whole Oscar experience this year. I understand why it was done the way it was but I was really looking forward to a distraction.

Was anyone extremely irritated when Peter Jennings kept popping up? I think ABC did that purposely to prove a point because I don't think they wanted the Oscars to go on tonite. I flipped the channels a bit and I never saw the other stations with the news on. Nothing changed and ABC showed plenty of news before the Oscars so I found it completely unnecessary for them to cut in, even though it was really commercial time. The first time it happened I wanted to throw a tantrum.

peter jennings did annoy me, he didn't really say anything new after the first time he showed up, and that just seemed like more propaganda as far as i'm concerned...

yeah i wasn't the biggest fan of hands before i saw the movie, i liked it enough, but as far as the new tracks on the best of went, i was all over electrical storm and could hardly get past the title "the hands that built america"...like, that's a nice song you've got there, but for god's sake why couldn't you have picked a better title. and then the song cames on at the end of the movie and totally blew me away. i went home and listened to it for the rest of the day. not to mention i thought the movie was the most fucking amazing thing i'd ever seen...

Well, like I said before, it's show biz. It's a weird business. No one is keeping score, people just have opinions. Hell, it's more subjective than a figure skating competition. :laugh: That was a strange experience, having U2 nominated for an Oscar! It just wasn't meant to be. It's not the end of the world. At least I don't think so.

I don't think you were seeing things IWB, Daniel Day-Lewis did look like he was crying... His face is so expressive...

U2Kitten said:

capt.1048473571.oscars_osc223.jpg

U2, you guys will always be winners to us :hug:

I think Larry looked very handsome. :D

BTW, where are the WireImages girls??? There are many pics of the guys there, including one of Larry by himself! :hyper:

:sigh:

Oh well-I think it's a waste of energy for me to get worked up over this..I am very disappointed, and I'm sure they are too. But I'd sure be willing to bet that they'd all be so CLASSY and congratulate Eminem. Actually that's the only song of his I can tolerate, because it isn't misogynist. He didn't show up because he's "on vacation, taking a break" Yes, Daniel Day Lewis did cry at THTBA .

The guys and their SO's :sexywink: looked GREAT-I didn't see them walk in on E or ABC-did anyone? Sorry, don't have time now to read the whole thread.

My favorite dresses were Julianne Moore-color looked great on her, and it showed off her figure perfectly, and Marcia Gay Harden in that turquoise dress. Renee's dress was pretty too. What can I say about Nicole? A designer's dream, and one gorgeous and classy lady. She made a classy statement about the war too.

Michael Moore = :yawn:

I'm no big fan of GWB, and I didn't want this war...I bet Moore thought he'd get a standing ovation. I am just bored w/ these people and their diatribes :|

Catherine Zeta Jones-what a gorgeous woman..WOW

Maybe Scorcese and U2 did suffer from a bit of Miramax backlash. Roman Polanski's win did surprise me.

Hopefully U2 will get another shot at Oscar one day :)

Back
Top Bottom