Can't download, but want clean, lossless copies of Vertigo shows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rastacruz

Acrobat
Just trying to guage interest in vines of the Vertigo Tour.

The idea is to make sure those who can't download, but wants clean, lossless, copies of Vertigo shows can get them. This is also good since tapers usually don't want their work flying around in a lossy format.

The cost is minimal. Postage ($0.60 for a single-show vine), tape, and blank CDRs. You do need to have a CD burner or a very large hard drive.

The process would be a seeder gets SHNs or FLACs of the sources circulating and puts together a package to be mailed to all who want. If you want a copy, you sign up on the vine. Once you get the show and make your copies, you mail the original seed to the next in line.

All you would need to do is download free programs to convert SHN or FLAC files to WAV files and then you get a copy of the show the way the taper wants it heard. The conversions are easier than you might think. If you can post on a message board or send E-mails, you can convert SHNs to WAVs.

SHN conversion program: http://www.etree.org/mkw.html
FLAC conversion program: http://flac.sourceforge.net/

To see what the signup process would look like, check out this vine page from a Grateful Dead online community. http://www.philzone.org/discus/messages/3207/3207.html?1117899350

If you think you may be interested in something like this, just post here and we'll take it from there.

Last edited:
:)

Also I was kind of wondering if there would be interest in a vine or tree for people with DVD readers (not burners). A DVD would hold about 4 lossless shows total. I had thought about offering the whole first leg this way awhile back but I just realized that the total filesize for all my lossless 1st leg shows is around 16 gigs so uh maybe not. :crazy:

I've put together a disk that has two shows...one in FLAC format and one in SHN format. 1987-11-11SHN - Save the Yuppies - San Francisco, CA and 1986-06-04FLAC Conspiracy of Hope - Daly City, CA.

I figured this would make a good "Training Disk" for newbies. Contact me to inquire about obtaining this disk.

Thanks, Rastacruz. First I'll have to get the stuff downloaded. Then it'll be question time, I guarantee. Am I going to be a vine of one? I really thought other people would be jumping on this...

I thought there would be a lot more interest, but maybe people are frightened by the thought of getting good music. :)

Let me know when you need help AP and we'll get you going!

Last edited:
rastacruz said:
I thought there would be a lot more interest, but maybe people are frightened by the thought of getting good music. :)

I was afraid of this actually, most people just want to download I guess. :sigh:

Anyway if either of you need any shows I have all the first leg shows that have been released, would be happy to send out some data discs. :)

I truly want to help you both, rastacruz and neutral. I would love to help spread happiness and enjoy some music myself.

My problem is basically that I am VERY frightened by the technical issues here. Besides, I am a very happy Mac user, so most of the instructions I see around here are of limited use for me.

Anyway, count me in. Deep down I KNOW, beyond any doubt, that you'll help when the questions/crises/breakdowns pop up:wink:

Circe said:
I truly want to help you both, rastacruz and neutral. I would love to help spread happiness and enjoy some music myself.

My problem is basically that I am VERY frightened by the technical issues here. Besides, I am a very happy Mac user, so most of the instructions I see around here are of limited use for me.

Anyway, count me in. Deep down I KNOW, beyond any doubt, that you'll help when the questions/crises/breakdowns pop up:wink:

Shorten for Mac: http://etree.org/macos.html#download
FLAC for Mac: http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html

I'll be quite honest, I have never used a Mac and don't know all of the differences, but check those out and maybe we can get you going. :)

neutral said:

I was afraid of this actually, most people just want to download I guess. :sigh:

Anyway if either of you need any shows I have all the first leg shows that have been released, would be happy to send out some data discs. :)

I'll be in E-mail contact this evening. I think once people see how easy this actually is, things will get rolling!

Thanks for the resources, rastacruz.

I'm doing the homework you just sent me as fast as I can. I am still at the :crazy: stage, but you can certainly count me in.

My mail: svsilvia at telefonica.net

EDIT: I believe we are in slightly different time zones, aren't we? I might not be available this evening in your time zone :yawn:

Last edited:
Circe: no worries...I'm not a tough grader! Time zone/smime zone...we'll get you going! :)

Hawkmoon: I'll contact you this evening.

beginner disc

I'd be very interested in trying out the beginner disc. I have a Mac, and I'm not technically proficient at all. I have a few shows that I've been putting off trying to convert. I'd like to give it a try. My e-mail is khattis@aol.com.
Kathy

Mailed a disk to Hawkmoon today and will be mailing one to Circe in a day or two.

Anyone else interested in learning about SHN and FLAC conversions should get in contact here.

Hey, I'm like a month behind all you guys, but if those beginner discs are still around then I'd love to give it a go. Just as long as its suitable for, well not computer illiterates, but those way off the genius standard of skills!
You can get me at thelongfella@gmail.com
Thanks!

I just need someone to trade me some 2nd leg shows!! I can't DL. Want Dublins, the FM broadcast, the big outdoor shows! Please email me for trades!!
wileekyot1@aol.com (I am in US)

Back
Top Bottom