Would Aloha Stadium qualify as an 'USA' Stadium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually,
If you look at it the way a lot of Hawaiians look at it, the US Military HAS been occupying HAWAII for years now. Check out your history, I don't blame them one bit for feeling this way.
-G

u2wedge said:
the local Hawaiian radio stations were reporting that this was the largest live music event ever held at Aloha Stadium. There were empty seats up in the yellow sections, however, that doesn't mean tickets weren't sold for those seats.

Here's a picture of the stadium during RITFW:
IMG_1474-1.jpg

We were in the orange section and my friend made a comment that the yellow sections looked too high to sit in! Almost too scary to sit in...after all Aloha Stadium is about 35 years old and dang...when people started to stomp on the stands during the concert, I started to worry that the whole place would come crashing down! We in Hawaii sometimes refer to it as a 'rust bucket'. It was supposed to be a 'state of the art' moveable stadium from baseball to football configuration however...it costs so much too move it that I believe they have finally made a decision to keep it in football configuration.

At times, with all the stomping, the stands were swaying! Literally rocking...

Alohaz, Eileen

I saw empty seats the entire time--they were really really empty until U2 came on, I figured traffic + people not knowing about the 1 hour earlier start time made a difference there, but there were definitely a few thousand empty seats throughout the night.

To the OP--the show wasn't sold out, I'm assuming, due to the island being full with the thousands and thousands of marathon runners/watchers, veterans & co. there for Pearl Harbor Day, and possibly people there for the Pipeline Masters surf competition on the North Shore. People couldn't find anywhere to stay, and many of us even had scares where our overbooked hotels tried to move us to another island! Heh. They picked a hell of a weekend! :D

rosephile said:
I saw empty seats the entire time--they were really really empty until U2 came on, I figured traffic + people not knowing about the 1 hour earlier start time made a difference there, but there were definitely a few thousand empty seats throughout the night.

To the OP--the show wasn't sold out,

One can spot empty seats at any show. People are not strapped in once that get to their seats, they get up, get something to drink, use the restroom, perhaps even get onto the field. Security on the night was reportedly not very good and I could see that happening.

In any event, here are the official statistics for the show:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/boxscore.jsp

In terms of the tickets that went on sale for the show, the show was soldout.

It is also the GROSS record, and ATTENDANCE record for a concert in Hawaii's history!

So there were some empty seats? It's not like this is Clemson, SC Popmart, with only 20,000 people in a 80,000 seat stadium. There were 45,000+ with only a couple thousand empty seats. It's not like U2 looked over the crowd and saw more seats than people. Very good turnout... I'm sure U2 enjoyed the gig immensly.

Liesje said:
But Saitama is higher? Or is that total and you have to divide it by 3?

Its the total, you have to divide it by 3 for individual night attendance.

The_acrobat said:
Very good turnout... I'm sure U2 enjoyed the gig immensly.

Not just "Very good turnout", its a record for the state of Hawaii!

STING2 said:

One can spot empty seats at any show. People are not strapped in once that get to their seats, they get up, get something to drink, use the restroom, perhaps even get onto the field. Security on the night was reportedly not very good and I could see that happening.

Oh, of course. I'm just saying I didn't have to search carefully for empty seats, they were visible all over. I'm not claiming it was meager attendance by any means, just that there were many more empty seats than one would expect at a U2/PJ show. :)

I mean it's fucking Hawaii. It's not exactly a "New Line Cinema Road Trip Comedy" jaunt away.

It's Hawaii. It's expensive to get to. Of course it wasn't going to be sold out, but that isn't indicative of anything but its isolation.

Back
Top Bottom