Would Aloha Stadium qualify as an 'USA' Stadium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
coolian2 said:

Stadium can mean arena...hell, in the US some arenas are larger capacity wise than some of the stadiums here.

The opposite is also true with the full Saitama Arena recently and the 3 shows at The Amsterdam Arena in Summer 2005

Salt Lake City

The_acrobat said:
I predict an early spring arena tour to get the loser cities like St. Louis, Salt Lake City, Charlotte or one of the cities in my native Ohio out of the way, then come back after the Summer European tour for the REAL US leg.... the stadium leg. After seeing the Milan DVD, I realize that U2 do, in fact, belong in stadiums. Compare Milan with Chicago.... compare Slane with Boston.... just better in stadiums... or maybe US crowds suck. Probably a little of both.

You forget, Salt Lake City was one of the fastest sellouts on the Popmart Tour and one of the few true US sellouts on that tour. U2 is huge in Utah! And in regards to the original question, yes Aloha Stadium counts as a U2 stadium gig even though Hawaii doesn't seem like part of America. I live in Hawaii and let me tell you, hardly anybody that is native listens to this kind of music. The show never would've got close to selling out had more than half the audience not flown in.
Peace,
G Harper

U2FanPeter said:

The opposite is also true with the full Saitama Arena recently and the 3 shows at The Amsterdam Arena in Summer 2005

I didnt realize this was a big debate. To me, its pretty obvious what is a stadium and what is an arena when I see it but I obviously its not to others.

For the context of this thread. Stadium venues are shows where U2 needs to use their stadium set up versus the normal arena set up (where they can hang the lights from the roof and use a smaller stage).

theu2fly said:
Because this would be the first time since 1997, that U2 played a full length concert in an American stadium. I mean he did bring the flag on stage, and the show was near sold out (why wasn't it sold out?)

But this makes me wonder if they'd consider playing stadiums next tour?

Here are the official results for GROSS and ATTENDANCE for the Aloha Stadium show:

131. Honolulu, Hawaii : December 9, 2006 : Aloha Stadium : GROSS $4,486,532 : ATTENDANCE 45,815 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

U2 now have the GROSS record for the stadium. They may have the attendance record for a single show there, although I'm not positive about that.

Re: Re: Would Aloha Stadium qualify as an 'USA' Stadium?

STING2 said:

Here are the official results for GROSS and ATTENDANCE for the Aloha Stadium show:

131. Honolulu, Hawaii : December 9, 2006 : Aloha Stadium : GROSS $4,486,532 : ATTENDANCE 45,815 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

U2 now have the GROSS record for the stadium. They may have the attendance record for a single show there, although I'm not positive about that.

Wow, where do you get that information?

martha said:
Okay then.

So many people here like to have stadium fantasies that have nothing to do with reality. I need facts, man.

If the band and management feel the demand is there for a full stadium tour in the USA, then they will definitely do it. In U2 by U2, they do mention wishing they had brought the stadium tour to the USA, but couldn't because of their prior committments and selling of tickets so early in the year for 78 arena shows. Had they had a more accurate sense of what demand would have been like prior to tickets going on sale, they would have done stadiums in the USA as opposed to arena's or perhaps a mix as the Stones have recently been doing.

No one can say for sure what they will do for 2008 or 2009, but given the rapid sellouts on the Vertigo Tour, some of the fastest in the bands history at high prices, large numbers of disgruntled fans left without tickets, the probability of a stadium tour in the USA on the next tour has definitely gone up.

I cannot believe this question has gotten this much air time.

And yes, if they played in Canada, it would me considered a USA show also.

Ha!

Re: Re: Would Aloha Stadium qualify as an 'USA' Stadium?

U2 now have the GROSS record for the stadium. They may have the attendance record for a single show there, although I'm not positive about that. [/B]

Even outgrossing football Pro Bowls? (NFL allstar games)

Did they ever host a Super Bowl?

Re: Re: Re: Would Aloha Stadium qualify as an 'USA' Stadium?

U2FanPeter said:

Even outgrossing football Pro Bowls? (NFL allstar games)

Did they ever host a Super Bowl?

I don't know about other non-concert events, but I do know this is the gross record for a concert there. It may also be the most heavily attended concert there in history. The only artist that might have a higher figure is a Michael Jackson show there sometime back in the 1990s.

I watched a news clip from a Honolulu tv station's website that said the u2 show now had the record for the highest concert attendance in Hawaii. Don't have a link, but I saw it, and I assume it's still out there.

Blue Room said:

I didnt realize this was a big debate. To me, its pretty obvious what is a stadium and what is an arena when I see it but I obviously its not to others.

For the context of this thread. Stadium venues are shows where U2 needs to use their stadium set up versus the normal arena set up (where they can hang the lights from the roof and use a smaller stage).

I thought the difference was in size of the venue - arenas being indoor venues where circa 20 000 people fit in and stadiums being huge outdoor venues with circa 40-50 000 people. (or more, the big soccer stadiums in Europe or S. America)

In US, those would be the venues for American football and baseball? And arenas venues for hockey or NBA games, for example?

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Would Aloha Stadium qualify as an 'USA' Stadium?

STING2 said:

I don't know about other non-concert events, but I do know this is the gross record for a concert there. It may also be the most heavily attended concert there in history. The only artist that might have a higher figure is a Michael Jackson show there sometime back in the 1990s.

Careful with the wording, the free beachside Britney/Destiny's Child concert circa 2000 may be more than 45k.

I'm surprised the Beach Boys never did a huge outdoor stadium sized event.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

There are a couple weird exceptions:

-Stadium Popmart setup in the Perth arena

-25,000 arena setup 2001 Tacoma compared to 20,000 Stadium setup in Japan 2006

-Mexico 1992 is also a weird one.

-The outdoor Euro Elevation shows(not Turin or Slane)

-The Tacoma Dome should be able to fit any of u2's Stadium setups - It can also host games using a full sized football field. I think Fargo and Syracuse have similar venues.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Would Aloha Stadium qualify as an 'USA' Stadium?

U2FanPeter said:

Careful with the wording, the free beachside Britney/Destiny's Child concert circa 2000 may be more than 45k.

I'm surprised the Beach Boys never did a huge outdoor stadium sized event.

Free concerts don't count, plus its often very difficult if not impossible to exactly tell how many people are actually at a free concert. The Beach Boys may have played the stadium, but it does not appear their show or shows held any records as of the 1990s.

medmo said:
I watched a news clip from a Honolulu tv station's website that said the u2 show now had the record for the highest concert attendance in Hawaii. Don't have a link, but I saw it, and I assume it's still out there.

That appears to confirm what I am finding out. The Michael Jackson concerts each had under 40,000 people for the shows he played there in the 1990s meaning the record for a single night there would go to U2.

I'm sure Janet sold out her stadium date in Hawaii that was an HBO special and later a DVD.

One online source quoted the JJ audience at 40,000+.

I hope they do some arenas next tour. Arena GA is a thousand times less stressful. Or maybe Aloha Stadium just handled it really badly, but I have nothing to compare it to since it was the only stadium show I saw.

the local Hawaiian radio stations were reporting that this was the largest live music event ever held at Aloha Stadium. There were empty seats up in the yellow sections, however, that doesn't mean tickets weren't sold for those seats.

Here's a picture of the stadium during RITFW:
IMG_1474-1.jpg

Last edited:
Stands WERE full at the start

For the record, I was at the show and was taking very careful note of the attendance. The place was packed and the stands were full everywhere I looked at the beginning of the concert. As soon as the main set was over, people started taking off to beat the traffic. That's why there are pictures later in the set with some of the yellow sections empty. I have pics early with the place packed to the rafters, literally!

-G Harper

Back
Top Bottom