With or Without You for Mysterious Ways

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think replacing Mysterious Ways with ANY song is a great idea! That song is way overrated and i can't figure out how it's lasted this long on the set list all these years. It has to be because it was so commercially popular.... But WOWY was more popular and it's just a better song all around... But if we're making requests, i'll second the Dirty Day request and throw Stay in there too!

U2Man said:

But then they would be in for a pleasant surprise! Would that be a bad thing?

Btw. WGRYWH was a single from AB so it was not exactly kept hidden, and how should they ever get to know it if U2 won't play it?

Wild Horses was a weak single, and was dropped from the ZooTV setlist. It never sounded good live then, but now it does. That doesn't mean you drop WOWY (the band's #1 single) for Wild Horses.

(Let's see how many people rip me a new one saying that "One" is U2's #1 single... :wink:)

MTEdge said:

Wild Horses was a weak single, and was dropped from the ZooTV setlist. It never sounded good live then, but now it does. That doesn't mean you drop WOWY (the band's #1 single) for Wild Horses.

(Let's see how many people rip me a new one saying that "One" is U2's #1 single... :wink:)

OK, I have confession to make. I personally like WGRYWH better than WOWY, and I would have loved to see it on the DVD instead of a song I've got on a million previous DVD's and tapes.....:huh:

U2Man said:

OK, I have confession to make. I personally like WGRYWH better than WOWY, and I would have loved to see it on the DVD instead of a song I've got on a million previous DVD's and tapes.....:huh:

I don't think that's too outrageous U2Man...I can just about forgive you for that :wink:

I don't think the live WOWY has changed that significantly for the last couple of tours, that I would prefer it to other less played tunes. It'd be nice to hear something different in its place for future live dvd releases...

MTEdge said:

No ripping here! You're absolutely right! WOWY was U2's #1 single. Their most successful single EVER! It's a classic, it's a staple. That being said, i like it, but i'd still rather hear WGRYWH, simply because it's rare to hear! I've heard WOWY at every U2 show i've ever seen. It's nice to be surprised with something less popular!

ultravioletluvv said:

No ripping here! You're absolutely right! WOWY was U2's #1 single. Their most successful single EVER! It's a classic, it's a staple. That being said, i like it, but i'd still rather hear WGRYWH, simply because it's rare to hear! I've heard WOWY at every U2 show i've ever seen. It's nice to be surprised with something less popular!

Until I heard WOWY at London2, I had gone to nine U2 concerts without hearing it (I've gone to 15 total). Most if not all concert fans (us fanatics aside) expect to hear WOWY. It is the song (along with the JT album) that took U2 beyond the War mantra ("this is not a rebel song") that had defined them.

Oddly enough, Wild Horses was played at the London2 show too, and I had never heard it live before. The fact that they're playing Wild Horses every once in awhile is perfectly fine. Nevertheless, WOWY still trumps Wild Horses (for the same reason how Zoo Station falls flat with casual concert fans).

MTEdge said:
Until I heard WOWY at London2, I had gone to nine U2 concerts without hearing it (I've gone to 15 total). Most if not all concert fans (us fanatics aside) expect to hear WOWY. It is the song (along with the JT album) that took U2 beyond the War mantra ("this is not a rebel song") that had defined them.

Oddly enough, Wild Horses was played at the London2 show too, and I had never heard it live before. The fact that they're playing Wild Horses every once in awhile is perfectly fine. Nevertheless, WOWY still trumps Wild Horses (for the same reason how Zoo Station falls flat with casual concert fans).
I can agree with this... And what we also have to keep in mind is that U2 get's a bigger catalogue every tour! The must play hits list is getting bigger and bigger... The fact that they play Zoo-Station shows that they dó think of their fans, but a song like Elevation is only played because it was a hit a couple years ago and people remember thát song better than Even Better Than The Real Thing...

Axver said:
No, because of the position they're playing it. The Fly --> WOWY is not a good flow in my opinion.

I agree... The position in the set is rather awkward. Mysterious Ways flows much nicer after The Fly...

I didn't read the whole thread, but my choice is defenitly MW. :drool: Not just because it's my favourite live song...

1. The idea of the first encore on vertigo is "achtung baby songs/back to zoo tv" theme. So let's keep it in mind and the third song should be also from this era. IMO the next song should be EBTTRT/wild horses/uteotw/MW or just another song from achtung baby(/zooropa, but I can only dream :|), NOT from JT! Anyway- WOWY just don't flow right with zoo station/the fly sang by a Bono in his "15 years older The Fly" persona.

2. IMO MW is far better live, especially the solo in the end is incredible. This time WOWY is even without extra snippets like "we'll shine like stars in a summer night" or "nothing will tear us appart". WOWY without these verses is just not complete for me, it's like MW without the ending solo. Not right...

3. Dear joshua tree fans :wink:- you get four songs from JT: ISHFWILF, bullet, WTSHNN, RTSS (now it's gone, but it was in the set during almost whole tour till now). Not all fans want 5 songs off JT to be played, really! Even if U2 don't want to play MW and if they really need to play WOWY, drop other JT song and play a song from other album.

Zooropean103 said:
I didn't read the whole thread, but my choice is defenitly MW. :drool: Not just because it's my favourite live song...

1. The idea of the first encore on vertigo is "achtung baby songs/back to zoo tv" theme. So let's keep it in mind and the third song should be also from this era. IMO the next song should be EBTTRT/wild horses/uteotw/MW or just another song from achtung baby(/zooropa, but I can only dream :|), NOT from JT! Anyway- WOWY just don't flow right with zoo station/the fly sang by a Bono in his "15 years older The Fly" persona.

2. IMO MW is far better live, especially the solo in the end is incredible. This time WOWY is even without extra snippets like "we'll shine like stars in a summer night" or "nothing will tear us appart". WOWY without these verses is just not complete for me, it's like MW without the ending solo. Not right...

3. Dear joshua tree fans :wink:- you get four songs from JT: ISHFWILF, bullet, WTSHNN, RTSS (now it's gone, but it was in the set during almost whole tour till now). Not all fans want 5 songs off JT to be played, really! Even if U2 don't want to play MW and if they really need to play WOWY, drop other JT song and play a song from other album.

I agree with you 100% on all points.:wink:

being an ultra-fanatic u2ite i must say i personally don't care that much for WGRYWH.........especially the album version!!! the single version is much much better, but still not good enuf to oust WOWY or MW. these r 2 of my fav songs and shud be played at every single u2 concert.
coming back to WGRYWH, all the ultra-fanatics here will know abt Salome - The Axtung Beibi Outtakes. in volume 2 there is an early working version of WHRYWH by the name of Morning Child II (Don't Turn Around). i LOVE that!!! absolutely LOVE it! bono scat sings his way thru the entire song........but it's got this surreal feeling to it which completely bamboozles me!!
and i wudnt mind WGRYWH making the setlist in place of Yahweh or all because of u.

U2Man said:

Oh, not outrageous at all. I totally like Wild Horses better than WOWY. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom