Willie's Tour Diary - Honolulu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bayou12780

War Child
From Willie's Tour Diary on u2.com. Interesting and candid comments...

"Traffic going to the venue was absolutely brutal, which set the tone for the day. I am not sure if it was particularly highlighted for me, having just come from the ‘land of politeness’, but there was quite a rough atmosphere in the venue. Not aggressive exactly, but from security through to the mood of the crowd there was a slightly confrontational feeling in the air. Maybe it was the Mai Tais.

To be completely honest I didn’t really enjoy the U2 show that much. The house security appeared to be in something of a shambles and (possibly as a result) a tangible level of aggression surfaced, with a few scuffles in the crowd. By the time I’d got from backstage to the mix position I was a little tweaked. To add to this, for the first few numbers there was what seemed to be an endless series of small, irritating technical problems – one of the video screens went out, the lighting desk started doing odd things with the strobes, etc. All the same I made a point of looking at the show, understanding that we’ll never see this again. The big Vertgio op art swirls, the Julian Opie walking man… all gone for good."

:| I'm sorry he didn't enjoy it, but I did.

That's so weird, I felt the exact same way Willie did.

After three shows in Tokyo, where the crowds were very intense but also polite, Honolulu seemed a bit rough. Maybe it was because everyone had been waiting outside for hours and hours and were irritable.

At the back of the ellipse between the two B-stages, a couple of drunken Irish guys were thrown out by security for fighting with a girl, people wouldn't allow other people to get by them, fans were getting mad at all the people holding up their signs blocking their views of the B-stages, the whole VIP fiasco pissed off everyone hanging over the rail outside the ellipse, it was a strange vibe going on back there.

Yeah the mood there was just not the same. We had a horrible issue with security basically harassing a girl in front of me in the stadium. I think they just got too keyed up over the show and the mood carried over to the fans. If security looks scared or angry, we assume that nothing is going to go smoothly, people start getting testy and nervous, and the shit hits the fan. Everyone had this giant sense of entitlement.

It's weird, but now that I think about it, two fights did break out in front of me (both during Pearl Jam's set), and I've never seen that at a U2 show. And security did seem really lame in dealing with it, it didn't seem like they dealt with the agressor at all. I guess I'm so used to going to NFL games, where fights are pretty common, that I really didn't stop to think that it was odd to see two fights at the U2 show.

Still had a great time though!!:wink:

Last edited:
Well if you think about the stadium from what I have gathered wasn't equipped in handling such a large crowd. Considering that its seems though all went pretty well!

JCOSTER said:
Well if you think about the stadium from what I have gathered wasn't equipped in handling such a large crowd. Considering that its seems though all went pretty well!

I think they got a little more worked up than they needed to. This was a pretty little stadium and the front section of GA was not even half full. My initial thought after arriving was "holy shit they have SO MANY security officers here, this is going to be smooth running!" It was more that they didn't know what to do and having so many people caused miscommunication between fans and among their staff.

I had an amazing time, but U2 is just so good that I can honestly say I've had more amazing times elsewhere :D Maybe stadiums are not for me.

Liesje said:

I think they got a little more worked up than they needed to. This was a pretty little stadium and the front section of GA was not even half full. My initial thought after arriving was "holy shit they have SO MANY security officers here, this is going to be smooth running!" It was more that they didn't know what to do and having so many people caused miscommunication between fans and among their staff.

I had an amazing time, but U2 is just so good that I can honestly say I've had more amazing times elsewhere :D Maybe stadiums are not for me.

I like an arena much more myself.

It isn't like the stadium folks didn't have plenty of time to prepare for the show, meet with both bands, gauge the behavior of the fans and figure out the best way to handle any situations.

Caroni said:
I still think it because of the climate :cool: :combust:

The climate was lovely, I don't think heat really played a part. I wore a hooded sweatshirt almost all day waiting in line and everyone had access to shade. Of course it was deathly hot during the show, but not any more hot than any of the arena shows I've attended (in fact, it felt better in the stadium b/c there was a breeze and they passed out water).

dazzlingamy said:
Yeah and Willie said Melbourne was one of the best u2 shows ever and it was hot hot hot here! :wink:

Maybe the heat helps! :wink: Chicago 9/21/05 was 95/35 degrees where I was having to stand (in the sun) and that show experience still ROCKED! I'd rather be hot and cold, wet, or cold and wet, and having to wait in the snow.

first time i've ever seen a fight at a u2 show. the two guys fighting had traveled separately from latin america, brought families with them, and as bono is singing about coexistence and tolerance, they start swinging at each other. plus the stupid drunkeness that made me feel like i was seeing a frat band. worst crowd experience i've ever had a u2 show. i felt like i was at a festival show... the encore is the only thing that saved it for me.

4U2Play said:
That's so weird, I felt the exact same way Willie did.

After three shows in Tokyo, where the crowds were very intense but also polite, Honolulu seemed a bit rough. Maybe it was because everyone had been waiting outside for hours and hours and were irritable.

At the back of the ellipse between the two B-stages, a couple of drunken Irish guys were thrown out by security for fighting with a girl, people wouldn't allow other people to get by them, fans were getting mad at all the people holding up their signs blocking their views of the B-stages, the whole VIP fiasco pissed off everyone hanging over the rail outside the ellipse, it was a strange vibe going on back there.

my thoughts exactly. weird vibe I thought in general - more aggressive and territorial, probably stemming from the whole GA line up process.

I think they ought to have another crew member (or even several) keep tour diaries on the next tour. Some of Willie's entries were interesting, but I felt let down by a lot of them. It seemed like he wrote a lot about going out and drinking and eating sushi and the state of his hotel rooms, and that got repetitive.

Oh wait. It's U2.com--I'm supposed to feel let down :wink:

In all seriousness, though, I wonder what Joe might have to say, or Dallas, or Rocko. Rocko's voice really comes through in his writing (pardon my English teacher moment), as is clear from his Honolulu show diary up there now. I think people would really enjoy reading a tour diary from him.

I didn't really think the crowd was that bad. Definitely more chaotic, but that's just because there were that many more people there. It was no worse, though, than any of the arena shows I've been to.

u2wedge said:
I didn't really think the crowd was that bad. Definitely more chaotic, but that's just because there were that many more people there. It was no worse, though, than any of the arena shows I've been to.

Maybe it was worse further back than we were? A lot of the stuff that went on, I didn't know that had happened until I checked on here. I thought the worst of it was when they started letting the GA people line up to go in (after we left the "pen" and the process of getting into the stadium).

Liesje said:
Yeah the mood there was just not the same. We had a horrible issue with security basically harassing a girl in front of me in the stadium. I think they just got too keyed up over the show and the mood carried over to the fans. If security looks scared or angry, we assume that nothing is going to go smoothly, people start getting testy and nervous, and the shit hits the fan. Everyone had this giant sense of entitlement.
That was all because she was handing out water, right? And really it was just due to a communication breakdown between security people.

I expected the atmosphere for this show to be tense, and it was. It was the last show, and everyone's last chance to have a "perfect" GA experience. Most everyone flew thousands of miles to get there, waited an extra long time in line, we were all anxiety ridden about it being a stadium show, and security just wasn't prepared.

Overall though, I had a good time. It won't go down in the history book of my life as my favorite U2 experience ever, but it was special, and I'm glad I got to be there.

I think I favor arenas, personally. I like the more intimate atmosphere.

mads said:

That was all because she was handing out water, right? And really it was just due to a communication breakdown between security people.

Yeah. The guy that was there told the girl to pass out water. She started asking who wanted water and passing them back when a senior officer came over and basically ripped into her for no reason. She tried to explain that she was instructed to pass out water, and he was like "you don't touch this unless I ask because I am the boss!!!" He kept yelling "I am the boss!!" like a raving lunatic. She even pointed over to the other guy and he just turned away. I think he was afraid of the supervisor. He just kept yelling at her and she never got to finish a single sentence. Then he started storming away and Daryl called him out and tried to defend this girl because we ALL saw the security tell her to pass out water and it wasn't fair to rip into her. Then the senior officer got even more pissed and was all up in Daryl's face, threatening to throw him out (over some bottles of water?!?!?). Finally he left, the original security officer came and said "Fuck him." (his boss).

I understand the fans aren't entitled to water or anything else, but to just come over all red in the face and start ripping into someone and not even give her a chance to speak was way out of line, beyond just being rude. The guy was obviously very stressed out over the whole thing, but what good can come of taking it out on the fans, the people you're trying to keep calm and organized?

My worst show experiences were not because of other fans cutting or being rude, or because of a bad show, but when security treats the fans - the people who've PAID to be there and are the reason for the event taking place - like they are scum and are one huge inconvenience. If you hate fans so much, then why are you a security officer at a stadium?

I got the impression that they thought we were going to be a hostile bunch, so they were overreacting to stupid little things like the water. I got screamed at about having a glowstick, and they made me toss it away before entering. They were stressing out about everything.

perhaps they are too laid back in Hawaii to really comprehend a U2 concert :shrug:

9.gif

this having been our 12th vertigo concert and 45th overall lifetime we(my wife & myself)can say that security and concert planning (although traffic went pretty well) was at a all time low for u2 standards. we had excellent seats side stage first row(right next to entry to floor seating).not only did we notice stadium security people not ready for the immense crowd on the floor but also uniformed police.two of honolulus finest, standing right in front of us on the floor, watching three idiots (who were trying to fit 4 people into 2 seats) trying to start a fight with the people behind us and spraying them w/ a water bottle(which was the property of a clueless security guard).NO action was taken but the idiots did leave soon after.u2 and p.j. soon delivered an awesome show and tried to forget earlier ugliness!!!

also......heat & climate had nothing to do w/ it. it was the best weather you could ever dreamed for.most of these people were raised wrong

Stadiums suck, full stop. Now people might understand why non-Americans get shitty that the US gets arenas while the rest of the world is stuck with fucking stadiums.

Seeing shows with 60,000 other people is fucking horrible. :|

Back
Top Bottom