Willie's Tour Diary - Honolulu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
blueeyedgirl said:
Stadiums suck, full stop. Now people might understand why non-Americans get shitty that the US gets arenas while the rest of the world is stuck with fucking stadiums.

Seeing shows with 60,000 other people is fucking horrible. :|

I agree, but I've read way more posts along the lines of "Americans don't know what they're missing!....European stadium shows are the only way to have a concert..." Seems like the fanbase in general prefers stadiums, or at least loves them enough to not care?

Now having seen both, I don't really get what was so much cooler about the stadium? If I have the choice, I'll try to stick to arenas next time.

blueeyedgirl said:
Stadiums suck, full stop. Now people might understand why non-Americans get shitty that the US gets arenas while the rest of the world is stuck with fucking stadiums.

Seeing shows with 60,000 other people is fucking horrible. :|

Speak for yourself.

Although it was closer to 42,000 in a stadium Paul McGuiness called just about perfect. :drool:

Personally, I didn't find there to be much of a difference at all when you're right up the front. :shrug:

Arena tours tend to have more variable sets though, so I guess I'll argue in favour of arena concerts. :wink:

Lila64 said:
I prefer the intimacy of U2 in an arena. But that's just me :wink:

I didn't notice a difference in "intimacy". 20,000 people (Boston) and 42,000-75,000 (Aussie/Kiwi stadiums) are both rather big to me, not exactly intimate settings.

Now, had U2 played to just 4,000 people at the Entertainment Centre in Wellington as one rumour claimed, that would have been intimate and setlist-variation-tastic! :drool:

Axver said:
Now, had U2 played to just 4,000 people at the Entertainment Centre in Wellington as one rumour claimed, that would have been intimate and setlist-variation-tastic! :drool:

Duuuuuuuude :drool: :drool: :drool:

I really did not want to post a comment but I think I have to.

From Winnipeg..live and breathe U2..seen them a few times. I made the trip to Honolulu and again was disappointed with the crowd. North America fans are SO BRUTAL, I just don't undertand why people even go.

I watch fans from Europe, Australia, etc and it seems people go to the shows because they want to. In both arenas and stadiums, North Americans are there for the social status, and it drives me absolutely crazy.

I was in disbelief that everyone around me was sitting down, yawning and playing with their blackberry's, but I decided that because I knew this going in, I could not let it ruin the show for me.

U2 must have been pissed that there was no crowd involvement art their last show, and if I were them, I would only play the major cities in the US ( New York, Boston, Chicago ( even though the crowd was brutal on the DVD ). They have proved their point the last two tours, and because I am guessing that this will be it for them ( after the next tour ).

Play Europe, Australia, Canada ( although Vancouver was pretty quiet both shows for Vertigo ) and play to people that want to be there.

I will not see them in North America next tour unless I make it to Montreal, and than Europe..HERE I COME!

Yeah, I routinely drive 12 hours each way, camp out in the rain and snow for days, stinking and looking completely disheveled, not because I want to be there, but because it increases my social status. :lmao:

If you've only seen them a few times and you've never been to an arena show in Europe, how can you possibly make an accurate comparison? I think we all agree the crowd and atmosphere in Hawaii was just....not right, for different reasons. I'm not sure how one show is a reflection on two legs of North American shows. If the US sucks so bad, someone should tell the band because obviously they don't seem to notice...

Last edited:
rymyx said:
I really did not want to post a comment but I think I have to.

From Winnipeg..live and breathe U2..seen them a few times. I made the trip to Honolulu and again was disappointed with the crowd. North America fans are SO BRUTAL, I just don't undertand why people even go.

I watch fans from Europe, Australia, etc and it seems people go to the shows because they want to. In both arenas and stadiums, North Americans are there for the social status, and it drives me absolutely crazy.

I was in disbelief that everyone around me was sitting down, yawning and playing with their blackberry's, but I decided that because I knew this going in, I could not let it ruin the show for me.

U2 must have been pissed that there was no crowd involvement art their last show, and if I were them, I would only play the major cities in the US ( New York, Boston, Chicago ( even though the crowd was brutal on the DVD ). They have proved their point the last two tours, and because I am guessing that this will be it for them ( after the next tour ).

Play Europe, Australia, Canada ( although Vancouver was pretty quiet both shows for Vertigo ) and play to people that want to be there.

I will not see them in North America next tour unless I make it to Montreal, and than Europe..HERE I COME!

I'm not going to go through your post and point out how many ridiculous things were said, because it speaks for itself. I really think you should have gone with your first instinct on this and not posted it. What is the purpose?

To lump all N. American fans into a category that they go for social status is one of the most assinine things I have ever read on this board.

Last time I checked, Canada was in North America.

Also, there were quite a few people from Australia, Europe and Japan at the Honolulu show.

U2 must have been pissed that there was no crowd involvement art their last show

Yeah, the red balloons, wearing red, glow sticks, singing along, arms in the air - absolutely no crowd involvement there.

:|

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

I'm not going to go through your post and point out how many ridiculous things were said, because it speaks for itself. I really think you should have gone with your first instinct on this and not posted it. What is the purpose?

To lump all N. American fans into a category that they go for social status is one of the most assinine things I have ever read on this board.

:up: thank you Blue Room! You took the words right out of my mouth! That had to be one of the most idiotic posts I have seen in a long time round here..:mad:

kellyahern said:

Yeah, the red balloons, wearing red, glow sticks, singing along, arms in the air - absolutely no crowd involvement there.

:|

And the FOUR different fans on stage, shout out to Zootopians, pointing at various fans who are recognizable at this point....yeah the band and crowd completely ignored each other. :|

My take on the difference in US shows and I was disappointed in the Hawaii show, I've seen much better more spirited U2 shows this tour (arenas-my preference) the difference was the security. There was an obvious different vibe in Aloha Stadium and it wasn't the weather, in fact it was an incredibly beautiful balmy evening temperature-wise. There seemed to be about 3 different sets of security, none of whom were communicating or working together. The stadium security had NO idea what to expect from the size of the crowd, were very laid back to the point you could ask the same question of 5 different security people and get 5 completely different answers. There were stadium security personnel and there were uniformed what seemed like Honolulu cop security personnel and then U2's own security personnel. I was in the GA section in front of the tagged "VIP" GA folks who were pissed they were barricaded behind other GA folks (those who had camped out for spots around the stages) when there seemed to be plenty of room to have let them into the GA mix. Security personnel could not explain to these VIP GA people why they were being held behind barricades, and tension was thick. Several fights broke out between males and females. At one point someone threw a beer and it soaked me and my camera. There was plenty of cigarettes being lit and smoked and more pot smoking than I'd ever experienced at all the concerts I've ever been to combined! And security seemed uninterested in doing ANYTHING about this. I didn't think U2's performance was their best, it was a different vibe. I felt bad for Rocko and the Devils, they had been rehearsing and looking forward to their performance for so long, and it didn't seem there were but a handful of folks really into their performance. The Edge didn't seem on fire like usual, Adam was very quiet, Bono seemed like he wanted to be done with the show altogether, but Larry was the one who surprised everyone going to the mike on their last walk off stage saying thank you to everyone and that we'd see them soon. The celebrities trouped out during PJ and that seemed when the rowdiness and restlessness took place in the barricaded GA areas. It took forever to inch out of the parking lot and back to Waikiki only to arrive there and hit detour after detour as they were setting up for the marathon already.

The last U2 show was indeed very different and I am glad I was there to experience it, but it wasn't my favorite show on the tour and now that I have experienced both arena and stadium shows I have to say my preference is an arena show.

wow , I have to say you hit the nail on the head with several points here....especially the security.......we were on the rail on Edge's B-stage and the security guys there were CLUELESS!!! I felt like they could not speak English almost.....the one in front of us was a super-huge GIANT and we BEGGED him to switch down closer to the stage where the ramp went up and he just looked at us with indifference....then...there was a HUGE ruckus on the other side of the ramp....and the police, the security and U2's security DRAGGED this woman out....and i mean Dragged her out...I have never seen anything like it.....my husband was up beyond the barricade...opting to not wait in line all day in Hawaii....he saw many fights and finally found an unoccupied seat....he said the pot smoking was unbelievable...and very little security up there

Well i've only seen u2 in stadiums and i LOVED it!

But with a word on smoking, throwing beers and pot smoking, isn't that what happens at every gig? I don't think i've EVER been to a gig where someone has thrown beer or water over the crowd and people try to be sneaky a light up in the crowd. At Melbourne i think i got high from all the pot fumes (there certainly was a time when i was seeing two bonos!) hahahaha

but i think this just what happens when you get a whole lot of people squashed together. You are always going to get assholes and people who don't care about other people. :shrug:

oh definately.....I agree about the crowd.....I was ready for the crowd....and we had a few shoving problems...but no big deal really....and I was not complaining about the pot smoking.....and neither was my husband..LOL.....i was mainly referring to the security and the over-abundance of it where I was...and the lack of it where my husband was.

Carek1230 said:
I felt bad for Rocko and the Devils, they had been rehearsing and looking forward to their performance for so long, and it didn't seem there were but a handful of folks really into their performance. The Edge didn't seem on fire like usual, Adam was very quiet, Bono seemed like he wanted to be done with the show altogether, but Larry was the one who surprised everyone going to the mike on their last walk off stage saying thank you to everyone and that we'd see them soon.

I kind of had the opposite feeling. I thought Rocko got a really good reception and The Edge seemed to be having a great time, laughing and grinning :).

I guess it depends on where you were in the stadium.

My favorite entry is his last. I can just imagine the chatter about the show going on in the plane.

Honolulu–San Francisco.

Once again it seemed like everyone on the plane had been at the show so U2 was the general subject of background conversation. One woman in particular, across the aisle from me, spent the entire flight re-living her concert experience (“…and then Bono went down the ramp, so everyone went to the right, but I noticed that Adam had gone to the left, so I…. etc”.) Sometimes it’s humbling to realise the degree to which these shows can provide such life highlights for so many people; even a show that left me feeling frustrated and grumpy. I pulled my hood up and had a moment of quiet appreciation. This has been a fantastic little run, producing some of the best shows of U2’s career – perhaps we should consider doing a dozen shows after a six-month break at the end of every tour....

Last night I dreamt I was back at the show in Hawaii, but I was the ONLY person in the front GA section, everyone else was in the back half. It was awful! I got in this huge fight w/ Paul McGuinness because for some reason he would only allow one person (me) in the front section. Worst concert dream ever :|

Liesje said:
Last night I dreamt I was back at the show in Hawaii, but I was the ONLY person in the front GA section, everyone else was in the back half. It was awful! I got in this huge fight w/ Paul McGuinness because for some reason he would only allow one person (me) in the front section. Worst concert dream ever :|

aww man what a awful dream! :hug: :hmm: what does it mean?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom