Will my mom survive GA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Artuse904

The Fly
Hey, I need some help. I've got GA tickets to the U2 concert in Boston. My mom wants to go but I don't know if she'll survive, lol. She's 51, overweight and claustrophobic. Lets not even get into hot flashes and crap. I also tried to explain to her that it's not easy to use the bathroom when inside the ga but she seemed to think you just leave and come back.

Can someone please help me talk some sense into her? I need some horrifying ga stories or something. I just don't want her to die on me!

Also, anyone have any info on the next US leg? I tried to tell her I'd get seated tickets with her for when they come back but she refuses to believe they'll be back!!!

Let me get this straight..you're trying to talk her OUT of the GA? What are you thinking?:)

First, Artuse:

The GA is NOT going to be crowded at all, contrary to what you may think. Because of U.S. safety concerns, U2 made very sure of the number of people who could fit in the GA for the maximum amount of dancing room, I'm calling it. You'll be surprised at the amount of wide-open space.

Second: As keyed up and "into it" as the GA gets, it is NOT a mosh pit, nor as wild as a club audience (though you feel like you're in a club. It's a strange "show within a show" feeling you get down there, like you're in your own little world.). The U2 audience are VERY polite and respectful of each other. I was in GA at the Madison Square Garden show in Oct of '01 and people let me move up to the front, b/c I am so short (5 ft even.) There were lots of stories of parents bringing along little kids into the Heart. Believe me, your mom has nothing to worry about. And yes, as long as you keep your bracelet on etc, you can in and out as you please.

Don't let this worry you....the only thing you need to "worry" about is the volume! U2 are very LOUD!!!:wink: And who knows, Bono might even pull your MOm up onstage, if he sees the crowd making enough fuss over her! He's nice like that.

DON'T miss out on this ,whatever you do! You guys are in for the experience of a lifetime and she won't regret it!

Last edited:
Let her go....51 is a far cry from old you know! After all, Bono is 44. The fans will take care of her. Enjoy!

I beg to differ. When I was in GA I had a miserable time. I can't imagine my mom trying to go through it. If you get towards the back of GA you won't have to worry about claustrophobia. I am and it was very hard for me to deal with all the people packed in around me. The closer you get the stage the more claustrophobic it's going to be.

If I HAD GA tickets, I wouldn't let either of my parents come with me. They are both in their 50's. While I've never been on the floor for a U2 show, it looks pretty crazy to me. If you stood further back, I'm sure you'd be fine. But what kind of U2 fan would that make you!? ;) :wink:

If she would have to leave to use the potty it is unlikely she'd make it back. I am speaking from experience! If you leave the front of the GA area, the fans do not let you back in!!! They squeeze you out! The only way I could see it working is if you got in the GA line early enough to make it in the oval/egg. Then you'd have breathing room.

If she is not by the stage she will be fine, but, if she has any health problems, she probably shouldnt go down there

My mom is 53 and I'm sharing my GA tickets with her for the Philly show. The only concern I have is having Bono pull her up on stage instead of me. :wink:

Heaven help anyone who trys to give my mom any crap! :lol:

Last edited:
In the heart it was spacious, but against the outside of the heart it was very tight...

I think U2 crowds are as nice as it gets, but GA is still GA...

starsgoblue said:
My mom is 53 and I'm sharing my GA tickets with her for the Philly show. The only concern I have is having Bono pull her up on stage instead of me. :wink:

I can just see the magazine and newspapers titles during the tour "Female fans and their mothers fight over who will get on stage with Bono".

:laugh:

A mother and daughter were standing next to me at the tip of the heart in Boston. The mom was probably about your mom's age. That woman held her own. She practically shoved me onto the floor when Bono stood on the rail in front of us. She also then helped to pick me back up. I've never forgotton her - she had a blast. But, it was very tightly packed just outside the heart. But inside or a little further back there's plenty of elbow room.

Hi

On a cheeky front I've got 2 seated tickets for Thursday 26 at Boston and would gladly swap for GA if you decided your mum would be better sitting.

I'm coming over from London and am desperate for GA tickets for that night through a trade or pay cash for the Saturday night.

Let me know if you're interested.

your mom could "practice" by going into crowded elevators, and crowded stores on sale days, etc. Think about being like that for 2+ hrs., it will give her a perspective on if she wants to do that. Standing for a long time is hard on people that aren't young as well. Because you can stand at the back, the stage is up high enough you can see from everywhere, sometimes you can even stand at the edge of the seats up toward the front of the stage, and you're not smashed with other people.

I'm impressed you're even getting your mom to go! I've been listening to U2 since I was about 13, and the closest my mom has gotten to going to a show with me is cutting a picture of Bono out of the newspaper for me...

Before you go, make sure you both know each other's expectations. Have a signal she can give you if she's not feeling safe or comfortable. When you get to the venue, find a place where you can meet up if you get separated. Maybe before you go, even try taking her to a smaller concert where she can get a feel for what GA is like.

Good luck!

Have any of you ever seen a Bruce Springsteen show? That's what 50 something looks like rocking out, ok? Fifity+ does not make you unable to put on rock shows, let alone attend rock shows. LET MOM IN GA!! I don't know how long she's been a U2 fan but she's been exposed to their music longer than you've been alive!!!

I fainted at a Who show many years ago and got passed over the barrier right up front (and then, when I came to, foolishly refused the offer from the kind man who said "there's a doctor backstage who doesn't take names". Who knows who I might have met?). GA is risky for those who aren't sure of their stamina, no matter how nice the people around her are. Be careful, for her sake.

Try to get your Mom to at least get used to some light exercise (walking, etc) before the concert, let her know she will need to get a little used to being on her feet for an extended period of time, if she can become accustomed to being a little more physically active, chances are she will be more comfortable and enjoy the concert more. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom