Will Bono finally show more maturity and self-control on the Vertigo Tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:
Um sorry but your examples are very few for a 25 year career, some you have completely wrong, and some don't show anything but fans being disrespectful.

Your information about after his father's death is the first time he left fans free reign is just wrong.

And the rest is just crap and conjecture.

The only way one can truly sing from the heart is to have their eyes closed? Come on quit trying to feed us your bullshit and act like you know what's going on in Bono's head.

Perfect. :up:

I can't read Bono's mind like Jick can but I think maybe he would find insensitive someone judging him like that and saying that he would mellow now that his father is dead. People shoulden't speculate on that in my opinion.

This guy likes to take everything and make a big deal out of it, stretching and overanalizing every litte thing for no good reason. And the most annoying part is that he is not doing this because that's how he is but because he thinks is funny or something. He's a troll in disguise.

U2girl said:

Fans have played with the band onstage as early as Joshua Tree tour in 1987.
Earlier than that actually.
I saw them bring a guy onstage in Hartford in 1985 to play guitar on "Knockin' on Heaven's Door".

But this Bono fan bashing has got to stop. As Jick points out, he has to stop swearing, allow fans to bully other fans in the GA area(anarchy, danger and bodily harm are at the center of the live rock and roll experience), and has to allow fans to throw whatever they want at him, in fact appropriate for this tour he should wear a bullseye shirt and the fan who hits him with the hardest object causing the most pain wins a prize, bonus points for hospitalizing him, and if you can ricochet an object off of Bono and nail Edge as well with one toss, you get Larry's drumstick.

Cheers,
H2

Pardon the fragmentedness of my response to this nonsense below.

I don't understand what you're doing on a U2 fan site. You come on and rip Bono - a true humanitarian and arguably the best lead man in the history of music - for some stage antics when you weren't there, nor do you know the circumstances at all. I like the fire. It's who he is. If you can't take an F word during any song at all, then don't bring your fuckin kids. How's that for a deal? Rock and Roll isn't for 8 year olds.

One word during All I Want Is You doesn't constitute a rant. I could address all of these - as in, when your band isn't playing in rythym, someone has to take the lead and get it back on track. And if Bono puts 'fuck' between every other word in One, I'm still ok with it. Why? Because it's not mine. It's not yours. It belongs to them. Write your own shit about "unrequited love", then you can keep it as sacred as your little heart desires.

Who comes to a U2 show, pays $100+ for a ticket, sits in the front row, and starts with the front man? Are you kidding? If Bono didn't do it, maybe the people around him should beat him senseless.

"Anger management issues"? You don't really talk like that do you? Is that a euphimism for "bad temper"? Why the hell did people stop calling them "problems" and start calling them "issues"? Someone please help me with this.

Bono has become increasingly more volatile and outspoken throughout U2's career, :scratch: but I don't agree that the JT era signalled his transition from saint to sinner. Its not quite as black and white as all that Jick.

Also, your case would have been strengthened by some better examples.

1) Las Vegas, 1997 Popmart: was it so unreasonable of Bono to become frustrated at the 'butchering' of SATS? I don't see this as being an "anger management" issue anyway.

2) Slane Castle, 2001 Elevation: "All I want is fucking you mate" was definietely said in a jesting light hearted manner. You can even see the broad smile of a reaction on his face just before he speaks that quote.

Consider a couple of examples in return:

1) Sept 7, 1980. London, Lyceum Ballroom (Boy tour)

Bono is frustrated with the lack of reception and makes several sarcastic comments before throwing his mic to the floor and leaving stage with band.

2) June 17, 1983. Los Angeles, CA, Sports Arena

Bono jumps into crowd and pushes a guy, almost starting a fight. Admittedly he later confessess in a interview to Rolling Stone "I lost my senses completely..."

Also Jick...consider that pre-JT is a relatively small fraction of U2's existence as a band compared with post-JT. So it makes sense to me that there are have been less incidents of Angry outbursts in this time from Bono, than more recently so?
One more thing...you argue that having 4 kids has probably mellowed Bono now. Bono has argued contrary to that several times. Something to the effect of (from discussions on Radio 1): having children makes you more concerned about the issues in the world and angry about the amount of injustice there is. The fact that Bono started having kids shortly after JT (Jordan was born 1989) doesn't help your point either.

He was in an appalling mood during the second Manchester show in August 2001. I was in the heart and it was bizarre to see in such close proximity.

At one point he kicked or threw (can remember) his mike stand to the floor and it hit a guy in the front row flush in the face. A few songs later with the lights low in between songs, Bono got down on his knees and apologised profusely to the unlucky fan repeatedly asking if he was ok. The fan nodded, clearly starstruck.

If that had happened it the states, I bet we would be talking multi million dollar lawsuits.

2) Slane Castle, 2001 Elevation: "All I want is fucking you mate" was definietely said in a jesting light hearted manner. You can even see the broad smile of a reaction on his face just before he speaks that quote.

I don't understand what you're doing on a U2 fan site. You come on and rip Bono - a true humanitarian and arguably the best lead man in the history of music - for some stage antics when you weren't there, nor do you know the circumstances at all

Amen

Damn, based on this thread, you'd think Bono is turning into Axl Rose or something. Give it a break, as the front man in the world's biggest band, playing 100 shows a tour, there are going to be incidents arising here and there. If anything, I'm surprised there aren't more reported. Guess that just shows the maturity and self-control overall of the band and their fans.

I can think of someone else who needs to show some maturity and self-control by not posting a thread about every stupid idea he has about Bono.

This is jick's way of arousing our emotions.

This thread doesn't make much sense when you really take a deep look into it. Bono has been emotional and prone to outbursts since his earliest performances...nothing (I hope) will change that. That would ruin the dynamic of a U2 show.

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

Last edited:
yeah i was going to mention the all i want is you. it was actually really funny to watch because my thought was, damn i'd be pissed if i was singing this ballad and someone hit me in the face with a water, and bono laughs it off and smiles saying, all i want is fucking you mate.....

seriously relax.

H said:
He was in an appalling mood during the second Manchester show in August 2001. I was in the heart and it was bizarre to see in such close proximity.

Considering what was happening in August 2001, it's understandable he was upset.

jick said:

After his father passed away, Bono became more accomodating to irritating fans by actually letting them play onstage with the band (as opposed to telling them to fuck off).

This was your point and it's simply NOT true fans weren't playing on stage with the band. (staged like People get ready or not is not the point, and the selection of songs they played on Elevation tour - not just the last leg - wasn't that big, People get ready and Knocking on heaven's door 99% of the time)

Also, it is odd that St. Larry (since the apology, apparently), of all the band members notorious for least likely to have a picture taken, sign a photograph etc... is any comparison, much less a merit to Bono when it comes to being friendly to a fan.

jick said:
Slane Caste 2001 (Elevation Tour) - A fans throws water to Bono, and then he sing to his with expletive langugage "all I want is fucking you." This is one of the most sacred and serious U2 songs - that talks about unrequited love, permanent love, married love --- yet Bono murders the song by adding the f-word rant just because some fan ticked him off. (What's next? He'll sing "one fucking love, one fucking life"!)

I don't think it's meant that way. He smiles when he says it, looks like he's joking.
Like when he laughs with the toilet paper in the face during New Year's Day.

And what's this thread meant to say?
You may have a point but it's hard to take you seriously. It's just a "I think Bono is stupid" thread, basically, or what?

I don't think that the Slane Castle incident was meant to be taken that way. If you watch Bono after water gets poured on him during "All I Want is You" he smiles and gives a little laugh. He wasn't upset, just playing with the guy.

Nube Gris said:
I just hope that in opening night in San Diego Bono says loudly:
"JICK GET THE FUCK OUT OF INTERFERENCE"

:shrug: Easy tiger...Jick's got as much right as every other punter here to express himself/herself (even if he likes to be contraversial).
He may have a knack of winding some folks up here...but he's not the one responsible for creating a nasty atmosphere on these threads.

well-behaved, self controlled rock stars, eh?
no fun there. personally i rather like a bit of the f word out there. it connects me with people, as i use it all the fucking time.
if you want supreme self control and good behavior, check out - i don't know - how about hanson. i'm sure they'll offend no one with their language and behavior (now their music, on the other hand...).
me, i'll take keith richards and led zeppelin and oasis and all that cool rock shit. geez, compared to some of these guys, bono IS pretty tame.

Yeah, jick you remember antic stuff.
Hey, what did Socrates say on April 13th when he bought an apple??

Last edited:
"Easy tiger...Jick's got as much right as every other punter here to express himself/herself (even if he likes to be contraversial).
He may have a knack of winding some folks up here...but he's not the one responsible for creating a nasty atmosphere on these threads."

Sorry Corner but you didn't get it...........were are not trying to build a nasty atmosphere here
This was just in response to the way Bono could and should express himself in a rock show

By the way the initial thread is VERY STUPID
Bono is a well behaved rock star, the nicest of human beings, and this incidents this individual is pointing at says that indeed he is a rock star, in a rock band, in a rock show, in front of a rock crowd fans

And if you dont like that and you start questioning him like the individual who posted this thread, just attend a Nelly Furtado concert with your mum

The Jick Method to posting/trolling on Interference.

Step 1- Make general comment about perceived inadequacies of U2(any member will do).

Step 2- Offer half-truths as evidence backed by irrational generalities that follow no logical path nor come to any logical conclusion.

Step 3- Claim to know causation factors and solution factors of perceived inadequacies.

Step 4- Sit back and laugh as dozens of helpless U2 faithful attempt to correct him and rehabilitate him into becoming a U2 fan once again.

Step 5- Ignore messages that rebuff arguments with fact and true evidence and reply only to messages that offer further opportunity to impune and excoriate U2.

All threads follow this pattern. Replying is a futile attempt at reason and understanding but futile too is the attempt to not reply at all.

theoeiii said:
Pardon the fragmentedness of my response to this nonsense below.

I don't understand what you're doing on a U2 fan site. You come on and rip Bono - a true humanitarian and arguably the best lead man in the history of music - for some stage antics when you weren't there, nor do you know the circumstances at all. I like the fire. It's who he is. If you can't take an F word during any song at all, then don't bring your fuckin kids. How's that for a deal? Rock and Roll isn't for 8 year olds.

One word during All I Want Is You doesn't constitute a rant. I could address all of these - as in, when your band isn't playing in rythym, someone has to take the lead and get it back on track. And if Bono puts 'fuck' between every other word in One, I'm still ok with it. Why? Because it's not mine. It's not yours. It belongs to them. Write your own shit about "unrequited love", then you can keep it as sacred as your little heart desires.

Who comes to a U2 show, pays $100+ for a ticket, sits in the front row, and starts with the front man? Are you kidding? If Bono didn't do it, maybe the people around him should beat him senseless.

"Anger management issues"? You don't really talk like that do you? Is that a euphimism for "bad temper"? Why the hell did people stop calling them "problems" and start calling them "issues"? Someone please help me with this.

:lol:
This one is classic!
:lmao:

One to treasure...

:shifty:

:laugh:

As per the title of this thread, you people need to show a little "maturity and self control" and stop responding to the idiotic topics J creates.

You are only fanning the flames. As mentioned above, J never responds back when you bring up facts to dispute his claims.

laz

Nube Gris said:
I just hope that in opening night in San Diego Bono says loudly:
"JICK GET THE FUCK OUT OF INTERFERENCE"

The righteousness of this idea aside, it is fucking funny. I about pissed myself.

I love reading Jick's posts or "his art". I love the overstating, the using 17 different words that all mean the same thing. For example "it seems Bono let his exponential gain in popularity get into his head" Just brilliant.

Actually, I am being sarcastic. What I really love is reading all the true artists dismantle everthing the dude says and blast him and his ridiculous posts. Quite fine entertainment.

Hahaha...get the fuck out of interference. That's what I'm talking about. Priceless.

Bono only ever loses his cool at fans who are behaving rudely and abusively - we know that he keeps an eye on his crowd and makes sure no-one gets hurt. He's often told security to lay off when they are being too rough, and often when fans have run onstage without any warning, Bono has warmly welcomed them and sent security away. But if people are being rude and obnoxious, Bono gives them a piece of his mind - 3 November 1981 is the best example. The band have to begin I Will Follow three times because Bono continually stops them to yell at a guy in the crowd who is instigating fights and causing major hassles. "We come from a country where violence is real, not pretend."

I imagine that considering all the rude and abusive fans there are in the world, a passionate singer like Bono is doing an impressive job losing his cool as little as he does.

What's the big deal here anyway...if its such an "idiotic" thread then why are so many of you arguing against what Bono HIMSELF openly admits - that he's prone to throwing the odd temper tantrum.
I'm not taking sides here folks, but isn't it more INTERESTING when a contraversial topic is thrown up?

corner said:
I'm not taking sides here folks, but isn't it more INTERESTING when a contraversial topic is thrown up?

Being controversial and being obnoxious, obtuse, and outlandish (the three o's for those that are curious) are two different things entirely.

What does Diamond have to say about this?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom