Why the Ellipse lottery sucks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chizip said:
if nobody bitched about the original presale fiasco, then maybe the band wouldnt have realized what a disaster it was and wouldnt have changed it for the better

sometimes letting the band know how you feel can be a good thing

and if people are paying 50-200 bucks for tickets (or more) then i think they have the right to voice their opinions (positive or negative)

You are assuming that EVERYONE hates the lottery....which isn't the case at all.

I hope the band sells $300 seats on the floor for the next tour...and everyone will whine that there isn't $50 GA tickets. It'll be a good read on this forum.

Eliv8 said:

You put it well. But I didnt wear it - I wanted to be sure they saw it.

Chizip - Ello M8 - Its kind of warm in here tonight.

Eliv8 said:

Come to think of it: it's a pretty damn fine illustration of respect

It's completely unconstructive and nasty.

OK, I don't want to contribute to the heat, so let's focus on the actions, thoughts, and not the people. We can respectfully disagree.

If you want to make a difference, and really end the lottery, why not wear the shirt, and pass out extras for others? Make signs that the band can read; call the local rock radio station and get some dialog with the on-air personalities; heck, do all of the above. Guess I don't understand the logic of going through the effort to design a shirt and have it printed up and then not wearing it.

By these standards, the word "Sucks" is now constructive? Not nasty? So, are we reserving only F-Bombs for unconstructive and nasty?

Maybe a more constructive way would be to call the record label, Principle Mgmt, write a professional letter and hand it off to Willie / the guys on the boards. Lay out your case and ask for some dialog -- Lottery Sucks does not come across to me as very constructive at all. It does make your point concisely though.

Anyway, more power to you, good luck... BTW I am jealous of
both Elvi8's Vertigo attendance record -- I'd love to take in that many shows, even from the bleeders --- and apparent location, San Diego is wonderful.

In the immortal words of Jim Rome;

I'm Out.

:hmm:Has there been a Poll yet, on whether people prefer the Lottery system over the good old fashioned days of 'first come first served' during Elevation?

if you see me at a concert ill be the guy wearing this hat

hat.jpg

Does anyone know what happens if two friends go to the show with GA tix, one being a u2.com member and the other isn't? do we have to stand in separate lines? if my ticket beeps and my friend is 30 people back in another line, how does he get to come with me into the ellipse? are we all supposed to carry around walkie-talkies or something?????????

bconn11 said:
Does anyone know what happens if two friends go to the show with GA tix, one being a u2.com member and the other isn't? do we have to stand in separate lines? if my ticket beeps and my friend is 30 people back in another line, how does he get to come with me into the ellipse? are we all supposed to carry around walkie-talkies or something?????????

no, but a cell phone is a good idea. if you aren't in line together and you get "beeped" to go in, you need to wait for him to catch up to you in the line.

Chizip said:

hat.jpg

if you see me at the concert i'll be the girl pretending i don't know the guy wearing this hat :sexywink:

That is one of the biggest problems with the ellipse. It makes it virtually impossible for more than 2 people to go together without having to have the conversation of "well, if i get beeped and you don't...". I have been to 4 shows, and every single one I have had to deal with splitting up a group. Quite lame. The only solution is NO one go in the ellipse if you get beeped and all stay together..which is evey more lame.

Chizip said:

hat.jpg

Will it also say -- hats mass produced by 'Adobe PhotoShop Hats, Inc.'
:wink:

Actually, I'd add that I appreciate the mostly civil nature of this thread -- Eliv8 especially.

:wave:Thanks neutral, I've cast my vote in now :)down: )! I'm actually quite surprised that there are so many interferencers in favour of it (40%). Ah well, each to their own :shrug:

Eliv8 said:
I think it was totally disrespectful of U2 to not inform anybody of this lottery system until the morning of the opening of the tour.

EXACTLY.

it was awesome to have slept in that parking lot, so excited, with a two-digit number written on my hand, fully expecting that i'd be in the ellipse with a group of friends and then have them come out and announce that it was going to be random.

even if my vegas GA's get me in, i will never forget san diego, and how much it sucked.

the lottery is bullshit. i'd be proud to wear that shirt.

bonosgirl84 said:

EXACTLY.

it was awesome to have slept in that parking lot, so excited, with a two-digit number written on my hand, fully expecting that i'd be in the ellipse with a group of friends and then have them come out and announce that it was going to be random.

even if my vegas GA's get me in, i will never forget san diego, and how much it sucked.

It did suck even though I was not selected and #1 in the GA line I got into the Ellipse. I think that this system sucks but its easy to get around especially whats been happening at the shows on the West Coast.

I had an open mind about the lottery until I realized just how slim one's chances are. After waiting in line all day twice, and showing up late once hoping the lottery would work for me, and still not getting into the ellipse, I have to say I hate the system. Not just because it didn't work for me but because you actually can go to a whole bunch of shows, wait in line from 6 in the morning, and never on the whole tour get into the ellipse. I think everyone who wants that experience should be able to have it at least once and getting there early and waiting used to guarantee that. Now it doesn't. I hate it. :down:

Chizip said:
well the REAL fans hate the lottery :wink:

:lol:

I need to vent about the damn lottery a little more. I mean, in Denver, it really really sucked because the people waiting there since 6 AM braved horrible weather. Cold, rain, drizzle, thunderstorms, and an hour before the doors opened, relentless golfball sized hail. Keep in mind that during the hour before the doors open you have to take all your stuff back to the car so people didn't have their umbrellas. Arena staff passed out garbage bags for people to put on but would not open those doors until 6:01. :mad:.

So the cold, wet and weary finally entered the building and out of several hundred people only a handfull got into the ellipse--only one couple anywhere near me in line got in. Let me tell you, it was a bitter pill standing there on the outside of the ellipse watching the late- arriving dry, showered, clean-clothed walk into the ellipse, taking bathroom and drink breaks. Of course being on the rail outside the ellipse is a fantastic spot once the show starts. However, after waiting all day and then waiting inside another 3 hours for the band to come onstage, the cold, wet and weary would have very much appreciated the benefit of being able to move about freely instead of staying glued to their spots for fear of losing them after all they went through to get it. I would like to at least have had the memory of being inside the ellipse in exchange for the strep throat I got in that horrible weather.

Did I mention that I hate the fucking lottery?

The lottery may penalize those who are first in line.

It seems as though those who arrived later and closer to showtime find that their chances to get into the ellipse increased.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that as much as I hate the lottery I too have come to accept it and if I can get my hands on any GA tickets this fall I will put myself through that living hell again. Sick sick sick. :coocoo:

bonosgirl84 said:

EXACTLY.

Happy to see someone else has balls. Send me your address and I'll get it off in tomorrow’s mail.

eliv8u2@yahoo.com

Back
Top Bottom