Why the Chicago shows won't be over the top....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JR#9

The Fly
Just like Boston on the 1st leg of Elevation I think the tension of the band to capture the magic weighs the whole show down as it apparntly did in Chicago on night 1 with a flat crowd similar to what happened in Boston on the 1st night...a very unusual flat Boston crowd.

I think the band cames off a bit forced knowing these are going to be the shows played forever on DVD and I think the pressure weighs them down.

On that note it means good things for those seeing the band right after Chicago as in Philly and NY/NJ because after having the weight lifted off their backs of wrapping up the DVD taping the band was back in top form for the last Boston gig which wasn't taped and then went on to play what Hamish Hamilton, the DVD director called "the best show of the tour and one of their best ever" in NY the week after the Boston taping so after Chicago I think we'll see the return of the carefree, play balls to the wall U2 that we're used to!!!!

well he does have a point... the band did admit that the boston shows were flat because they were uptight about getting everything perfect for the DVD shoot, and that they were much more relaxed after the shoot ended which led to better performances... this is all in the Boston DVD liner notes.

So it's not a stretch to think that they may feel the same way this week in Chicago with yet another pre-planned DVD shoot. Not saying it will happen that way... just that it's quite possiable, especially after the mediocre reviews of the first chicago date. :shrug:

the fact that new york is again after the DVD shoot is just ironic.

OldTimerU2Fan said:
Let me guess, your shows are in Philly or NY/NJ?

They are but 2 of my 15 shows big guy but that's beside the point.

Was the show in Chicago Saturday panned by EVERYONE oe not?

YES

Is this showing a similar pattern to the Boston Elevation DVD?

YES

It's not bashing Chicago in the least but just pointing out that U2 feeling the pressure of producing a top notch DVD seems to weigh on them and in turn spill outs into the crowd IMO.

Chicago is amoung the best U2 cities but as shown in Boston being the city chosen for the DVD shoot seems to have the extra pressure hanging over the event in a negative way as the band is preoccupied with all the extra nonsense that goes along with filiming a concert for release.

Thats all.

And if you doubt any of this just read "U2 LIVE" which gives a background on every U2 show and read about how the band and crowd were stiff for the shooting but by the last Boston gig which wasn't being shot they seemed to be themselves again and brought more energy as a result of not having to feel they had to follow the "script" for the DVD shooting.

Live from Boston also comments on the situation if you watch "the making of" segment of the DVD.

Last edited:
kellyahern said:

No, several people on here said they had a great time, including a couple moderators.

This has been by FAR the most critical of any of the shows yet.

People said they had a great time BUT that something was missing all night, Bono was way off with many speculating he was sick and many people reported many misteps musically by the band including murdering Vertigo and having to restart Miricle Drug.

Go to U2tours.com and read all the live reviews and you'll see that no other concert has faced such harsh reviews especially about lack of energy in the crowd and the band seeming to be going through the motions.

JR#9 said:

Was the show in Chicago Saturday panned by EVERYONE oe not?

YES

Sorry, but NO. Please don't speak for others. If you have any doubt read some of these, hardly "panned" by all. http://u2tours.com/detail.src?ID=20050507

Yes there are some saying the show was "off" and some negative ones, don't really care as that was not my experience. :shrug:

Last edited:
Could someone remind me when I panned this show? I am sure I did since EVERYONE did, I just can't remember exactly when that came out of my mouth...

I had an AMAZING time! Yes, Vertigo was a bit unusual and I was bummed that there was no Stories for Boys. the harmonica was also a bit off for Running to Stand Still. I enjoyed myself immensely and did not notice most of the other nitpicky things people have mentioned... And even the 2 that I just mentioned were just passing thoughts in my head... Not like I spent the entire song going "oh man, that sucked... it was better on this date blah blah blah"

I go to a U2 show to enjoy myself and soak as much of it in as possible, not to look for every single thing that goes wrong...

Last edited:
JR#9 said:

This has been by FAR the most critical of any of the shows yet.

People said they had a great time BUT that something was missing all night, Bono was way off with many speculating he was sick and many people reported many misteps musically by the band including murdering Vertigo and having to restart Miricle Drug.

Go to U2tours.com and read all the live reviews and you'll see that no other concert has faced such harsh reviews especially about lack of energy in the crowd and the band seeming to be going through the motions.

Thank you, I have read them. There are negative reviews, but there are also positive ones:

Review by: Ry
The show was the best u2 show I have seen to date.. I have seen them through the last 4 tours and Id say this one was up there with Zoo Tv .. not as eventfull as Zoo but very brilliant. For all those Na-sayers who keep complaing that its not Elevation.. your right its now so stop the bitching ... also this tour has in my opinion far outdone elevation .. which was the most boring and comercial u2 tour ever !!

Review by: Greg Shapps
This was my 38 U2 show going all the way back to the first time I saw them during the 2nd leg of the October tour back on December 6 of 1981 when I was 11 and my oldest sister took me to see the show at the Park West. Seen them multiple times on every tours since then as well as the first Amnesty International Tour of Hope .

This show was excellent of course - and a great line up to boot. Its not everyday that you see any emotion out of Adam let alone a HUGE smile on his face as he kinda looked most uncomfortable and shocked with himself that he actually moved and walked around the elipse 4 times - he almost didnt want to actually come back to the stage - just kept smiling at the fans.

By the way - it was a United Nations flag that a female (wearing a purple top) threw up on stage - I actually met and talked with her between Kings of Leon and U2's set while I was hanging out in the stands right behind the stage - it was kinda funny that when I saw her waving the draped flag all show long from the first row behind the stage I knew it would be long before Bono wanted it.

The best part about the show was watching all the idiots through out the UC look confused when the started playing An Cat Dubh - cause they had no clue what the song was as they have never heard it before. All the people around me dancing and then all of the sudden the just stopped and stood there not knowing what to do - and I loved it! To me, this was a super rare treat cause it brought back sweet memories of the first show I was at 24 years ago - its been a long ride and hopefully my 8 month old son can get to enjoy his first U2 show in a few years time as well.

Review by: Jim
flew in on Friday from North Carolina for the show and thought it was awesome!! i have read where some thought they were going through the motions and what not but thought it was great!! i have seen at least 1 show from every tour since the WAR tour in Norfolk, VA. the sound is as good as ever and never thought i would hear "an cat of this is the black cat" as Bono use to introduce the song. the reworked elevation is incredible. every U2 show always captivates you with their opening and this was the same. i thought the energy was great and Adam was great. i absolutely love the zoo stationa/fly/mysterious ways trio at the first encore. just wonder what Bono and Adam and Larry were talking about at the end of the encore. could have been something special had the edge not left the stage!! usually something extraordinary comes out of their little huddles but not sure they are willing to take all the risks!! sound and band were great. we may not see Bono scaling the 40 foot rafters as he did in the day but at least we did see Adam leave his sandbox!! i cannot wait till Boston as i am going to the first show.

You are incorrect that EVERYONE panned it.

Review by: Nick Moron
Best concert I have been to yet

Review by: Liz Bales
Wow, this was the best concert I have ever been to. Im pretty sure everyone at the concert along with myself got chills when the crowed was singing the accapella to elevation. It amazing how great they sound live take away the crowed and you wouldnt beable to tell the difference.
Loved the show and I would see it again in a heartbeat!

Last edited:
neutral said:

Sorry, but NO. Please don't speak for others. If you have any doubt read some of these, hardly "panned" by all. http://u2tours.com/detail.src?ID=20050507

OK, I was wrong to say EVERYONE but let's be honest here.

Reference the same reviews and sombody even attempt to tell me that the vast majority are more negative than positive and that this concert by far outweights all the previous on the tour as far as critisim from the fans about lack of energy as well as the band seeming to be going through the motions.

The theme was "it's still better than pretty much anyone else's concert but by U2 standards it was at the least disappointing".

Again, not bashing Chicago but rather pinning it on the pressure of the DVD, same thing that submarined even a bigger U2 city in Boston on the elevation tour.

Show me one other show that has gotten as much critisim as this show.

Any U2 show is great but it doesn't mean they're all perfect so everybody should stop being so sensitive.

For the 100th time it seems the DVD shoot is weighing the band down and as a result spilling into the crowd.

NOT panning Chicago

Last edited:
Review by: Stevie Wiley
I thought it was incredible, and a moving tribute to a band that it seems noblody can match in a live concert with regards to connecting with so many people. Saturdey was worth the wait and a band like U2 only comes along every decade or so and to witness history, hall of famers at the top of theyre game is awesome.So many high notes and touching moments to thinkof , I just wanted to take it in, feel the vibe, the pace and the music and embrace it. It is tough to compare them to themselves, especially when they are the best at what they do and theyre reputation is from playing strong live and putting it all out there for us. Each tour differs and the best maybe was the raw passion of Joshua tree but who really cares, Everything changes it seems and U2 persist in doing what they feel and it works,Sometimes exceptions can be made but creativity, passion and furthermore conviction, Running to Stand still was a big and great suprise, Edges lifting up up and away guitar gives you the lift and Adam the pulse and throb and Larry the backbone and Balance the band needs, Bono what can you say ? The world could use more like him.
Thanks and stick around as long as you feel you wish to.

KELLYAHERN...

Why does everybody need to play games.

For every positive statement I can pull up 2 negative one's but who wants to be bothered.

The FACT of the matter is this...I read all the reviews after every concert so far on this tour AND NOT ONE COMES EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE TO THE FEEDBACK OF THIS SHOW IN WAY OF NEGATIVITY and if somebody wants to challege that show me one concert that had as many bad reviews written about it.

JR#9 said:

For every positive statement I can pull up 2 negative one's but who wants to be bothered.

Well, I did.

23 postive

16 negative or "missing something"

the rest either didn't have a strong impression or were just photos.

Wow, what a vast majority.

It went from everyone, to a vast majority, to not really a majority at all.

I'm not playing games, but if you're going to make a claim that EVERYONE panned it, at least back it up.

Last edited:
kellyahern said:

Well, I did.

23 postive

16 negative

Wow, what a vast majority.

It went from everyone, to a vast majority, to not really a majority at all.

I'm not playing games, but if you're going to make a claim that EVERYONE panned it, at least back it up.

And what is your judgement on what is a positive or a negative review.

Even those that panned it said it still beats everybody else's concerts but in terms of measuring U2 against the standard they had set no other concert had as many" not much energy in the crowd" an ABSOLUTE TON said the band seemed to be going through the motions and even those that gave positive reviews said BONO was certainly not himself and that he displayed zero energy and many even speculated he was under the weather, that's how lackluster people felt he was.

Combine that with the numerous mistakes in the music and once again it is the concert that has recieved the most critism thus far on this tour.

I love how people get their panties in a bunch in trying to defend the city but I really can't see how anybody can say that negativity wasn't a common theme in reading the reviews of Chicago 1 and there is no chance people can't say Bono was on his game for Chicago 1.

christ.

who gives a shit what the reviews are like? i, personally had a great time, and thought the band was awesome. what point are we trying to prove here? just enjoy the music and shut the fuck up already.

ps. that's a general statement, btw.

I'll leave it alone at this point as people get all hissy over such topics I guess.

Seeing U2 is ALWAYS great but some shows are w/o a doubt head and tails above other.

It's when that special something enters the arena and it's something you can't describe and having been at both shows that have reached this level and some that have not it's clear that Chi 1 was NOT one of those nights and all I was doing it was attributing it to the band feeling the pressure of the DVD shoot thus making a tense atmosphere that many described as scripted which is exactly what happened in Boston last tour and wasn't lifted until the cameras left for the last Boston gig and U2 unleahed themselves again as they were once again playing for an audience of 20,000 people in the arena and not the millions who will watch the tour DVD.

Makes sense, no?

JR#9 said:
It's when that special something enters the arena and it's something you can't describe and having been at both shows that have reached this level and some that have not it's clear that Chi 1 was NOT one of those nights and all I was doing it was attributing it to the band feeling the pressure of the DVD shoot thus making a tense atmosphere that many described as scripted which is exactly what happened in Boston last tour and wasn't lifted until the cameras left for the last Boston gig and U2 unleahed themselves again as they were once again playing for an audience of 20,000 people in the arena and not the millions who will watch the tour DVD.

Makes sense, no?

So where were you seated again?

JR#9, I hear ya.

Chi 1 was my first U2 show ever (and I'm just a tad shy of the lads' in years lived) and though I was blown away, my two-line summary for hubby's "how was it?" came out "it was fabulous, really great. But they were somewhat subdued, it seemed".

I had no idea about the taping being planned for Chicago, so that didn't enter in. I'm actually kinda relieved to hear about that, doubtless to me it factors in.
Why wouldn't it? There's just gotta be more pressure to perform well, less room for relaxation and off-the-cuff stuff.
I didn't notice any flubs ( though I guess I do recall a moment of confusion at the beginning of miracle drug but couldn't work out what it was from my perch way in the rear), and I thought the performances were fantastically on. The Anh Cat Dubh and Into the Heart duo was spectacular and Bad was just amazing (please please please let the DVD have those performances on it!!!) and all was great, but as I've seen expressed a little elsewhere (haven't read many reviews)the audience interaction was kinda light. I'm imagining that if you know you're taping for the dvd, you'll limit that because it leads to unpredictable off-'script' situations. Kinda interesting that Adam was up and about..it was quite hot and added good spark... perhaps that was adam coming in to more 'safely' than bono or edge could fill that spontaneity and crowd engagement niche. Bono was gesturing whole crowd a lot...maybe with all the effects there will be few tight shots in the dvd and so interacting with the immediate crowd just couldn't work for taped shows.
I have nothing live to compare it to, and I loved every second of it, but it felt a little more 'perfect' than I'd expected, a little less spontaneous feeling. I didn't note tension exactly, just perhaps extra 'concentration' that I read as subdued-ness, and I'm relieved to hear about the taping--that would explain what I felt!
I'd bet it'd come off well on dvd actually....

cheers all!

Miroslava said:

So where were you seated again?

Were you there?

Did this rank up there with the other shows on the tour thus far?

Was the audience captivated by the band or not?

Did that special feeling just take over the UC?

Did the band appear to be going through the motions as many described or not?

Did they have multiple misteps with the music?

Was Bono going full out?Did he show much energy?Did he bring people up on stage?Did Bono venture out on the ellipse much?

Were you there? yes.

Did this rank up there with the other shows on the tour thus far? definitely

Was the audience captivated by the band or not? beyond belief

Did that special feeling just take over the UC? yes.

Did the band appear to be going through the motions as many described or not? no

Did they have multiple misteps with the music? only the synth in Miracle Drug false starting twice, which was, if anything, funny.

Was Bono going full out? i'd say so. prime example, the drumming at the end of LAPOE, the crawling during An Cat Dubh

Did he show much energy? yes.

Did he bring people up on stage? no. and anyone who measures a concert by how many fans are brought up on stage should go to karaoke night instead.

Did Bono venture out on the ellipse much? compared to Elevation Tour, maybe not quite as much. but then again, they don't have a 3 song acoustic set this tour, which many wanted the band to get rid of. Yahweh was performed full band at the tip of the ellipse.

As mentioned above, yes, I was there... since 7:30 am waiting in the GA line

To me music is a personal experience. I do not like people telling me THIS IS THE BEST SHOW EVER PERIOD CAUSE I SAY SO or THIS SHOW SUCKED AND YOU MUST AGREE WITH ME... and thus, I tend to be of the idea that if I do not base my feelings about a show based upon what other people thought of it. And it works both ways...

Was the audience captivated was there a special feeling in the audience? There was for me and for those around me I think, but again... I didn't spent 13+ hours waiting around to go in there and worry about things like that or to nitpick...

Was it fantastic for me? YES... were there some people in the audience that probably thought it was the worst U2 show they have ever witnessed? Yes, and that is their right...

What I take issue with is people making assumptions of what happened or the greatness or lack thereof of the show that WERENT EVEN THERE!. As mentioned by others, I also take issue with people speaking for me...

Last edited:
come on miroslava. i've done a lot of thinking over the last couple minutes, and i really think that we should both decide that we hated the show. i mean, come on. i heard that there are some people who didn't like it. maybe we should join that bandwagon! maybe others will then think of us as "smart fans"!!!11

I'm not going to take one side or the other here. I am simply going to lay out my thoughts.

The band, based on the reviews I've read, may have appeared subdued. Bono, apparently, held back a bit vocally. Aside from Adam, a related complaint is the lack of interaction between the band and the crowd. All of which can be explained away by the impending DVD shoot.

It is a given that U2 is anal retentive when it comes to the choreography of its shows. The "retention" levels go to overdrive when you've got live cameras rolling. (For example, some ppl thought Van2 was a bit tame. As it were the case, GMA was recording that night.)

How do live cameras apply to the Chi1 show when no taping occurred?

It is likely that the Saturday show was a "dry run" to allow the cameramen to know where and when something was going to happen. For example, the cameramen now know during which songs that Bono, The Edge, or Adam will be circling the ellipse, what the lighting effects are for each song, how the United Center plays as a host for the Vertigo experience, etc. The band probably did not want to do something out of the ordinary so as to throw off the cameramen.

The "dry run" concept is further informed by the fact that the band had a full week off during which I'm sure they tended to personal issues (let's not forget The Edge's daughter).

Another important thing (and for which I anticipate being flamed for), Chicago is the first big U2 market (in that "home town" show kinda way) that U2 has played on this tour. LA/Ana simply got a lot of shows because of population dynamics, and the ability to sell those shows out. Chicago, Boston, NYC-area have more rabid U2 fans than the LA-area does. In addition to the impending DVD shoot (and the related logistics), U2 was probably a bit nervous with such an important part of their tour beginning.

The bottom line was that the first Chicago show was not as "crisp" as previous shows may have been. I expect tonight's show to be better musically, i.e., fewer flubs, but it may still lack the interaction between the crowd and the band that you would normally get if it were a non-DVD shoot show. Tuesday's show (5/10) is the show I expect greatness. They will have figured out what to do, and what not to do, etc. The ultimate variable is Bono's voice. The DVD will suck if he's not on his game. That is big pressure.

Anyways, if you've made it to the end of this post, I congratulate you. :wink: Even if you don't agree with everything I've said, I hope some of what I've said explains the supposed "ills" of the first Chicago show.

I agree with the above post and again for the 100th time I'm not bashing Chicago as a U2 market but rather pointing out the whole DVD hanging over their head things which brought about similar shows in Boston on Elevation.

And I'm not trying to change anybody's opinion that was at the show but one thing is undeniable...when U2 is "on" you never see as many negatives as you did about Chi1 and I attribute this to the bnads mind on the DVD and NOT on the audience and concert at hand.

They're more concerned about the camera as oppossed to the crowd and that would explain the people decribing a lack of energy from both the band and the audience.

Sure there were spots of brilliance but as they've achieved on multiple nights this tour(Seattle, Denver, Phoenix2) when these guys are "on" whe whole concert is at a whole different level.

I've been to many U2 concerts and anyone who has and is honest has to admit that there are times you see u2 and they are fantastic but then you see them on another night and it just reaches a totally different level and when they get there the band as well as the entire audience feel it and I can guarentee on those nights you won't see even 1 "Bono was distant or not himself" stuff as you got from many a review of Chi 1.

Harry Vest said:
Obviously not one of the bands best nights. Everyone has bad days. Lighten up.

you are correct when you say that people should lighten up, but you are incorrect when you say that it wasn't one of the band's best nights.

mikal said:
christ.

who gives a shit what the reviews are like? i, personally had a great time, and thought the band was awesome. what point are we trying to prove here? just enjoy the music and shut the fuck up already.

ps. that's a general statement, btw.

Good call. I was at the show and had a good time. I think Bono was having problems with his ear piece. I was sitting close enough to see that he was having issues with something. He called a tech over at one point and then later gave him a thumbs up.

Let people pan the show, who cares. We had a good time, isn't that all that counts? We're all already U2 fans, we donn't have to convince anyone that they're good, right? :wink:

PS I love general statements.

See you at the show tonight and tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom