Why not............ Vertigo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mo786

War Child
Why dont they just play it at the end - will anyone even remember it from the beginning.

They could put ABOY at the start as its very similar IMO.

Least its then not a 'waste' of a song.

im glad somebody started a thread about this, im looking forward to hearing peoples opinions on this subject

i think its because they want vertigo to be the staple closer of the tour from now on, and didnt have time to play all because of you.

granted all because of you is in my top 10 U2 songs and Im sad to see them not play it (well i wasnt there so i cant say im sad), but Im sure itll be played again at every other concert thats left

Chizip said:
im glad somebody started a thread about this, im looking forward to hearing peoples opinions on this subject

Myself as well, it is great to show up for another day here at interference and see a completely new topic being discussed. I am interested to find out if people like or disklike their setlist selection so far this tour? By the way, was the ellipse a good thing? I haven't heard anyone talk about that yet!

I'm curious to know what people think of the lottery...perhaps we should start a poll?

well i dont fault this thread as much as the other ones because hes at least pointing out all because of you wasnt played and it normally is.

i know how about we petition them? or even better lets all boycott the next grammy awards OR EVEN BETTER just protest at it, turn our backs on it

KUEFC09U2 said:
i know how about we petition them? or even better lets all boycott the next grammy awards OR EVEN BETTER just protest at it, turn our backs on it

its too late - the whole tour is almost finished, lol

Lancemc said:
I think it's about time Interference includes a *shootsselfinthehead* smilie.

yeah or just an animated flat line (with or without the heartbeat..)

why play the same song twice in a set, when some albums aren't even being represented by a single song on this tour (R & H, Zooropia, Pop.......)

Every time someone starts a new thread about Vertigo being played twice, Bono kicks a puppy.

Please ... won't someone think of the puppies????

:sad:

U2 have way too many songs to allow any song to be played twice. If they are intent on playing any song twice it should be as an extra encore outside of their normal 23 song set. eg, if the crowd is really great that night, maybe come on and reward them by doing vertigo again.

What U2 needs to understand is that people see them once every four years, for some, its once in a lifetime, so to waste that prescious space for a repeat of a song you already played that night, well I think its not cool.

Manchester missed out on Until the End of The World and Bad, two songs which should be U2 concert staples along with Streets. Instead they got to hear Vertigo 4 times.

unless u2 is prepared to play every song in their entire catalogue, and every cover they've ever performed live before, it's a complete waste to play the same song twice in a show.

especially considering it's vertigo that they're playing. blech.

Sken said:

Manchester missed out on Until the End of The World and Bad, two songs which should be U2 concert staples along with Streets. Instead they got to hear Vertigo 4 times.

wow, i didn't even think of it like that.

that's HARSH.

KUEFC09U2 said:

OFMG ON-LINE PETISHUN!!!!1111/.

Cant imagine a concert with no Bad, should be outlawed. Vertigo at the end was very cool the 1st 2 times because it was unexpected, but now it's ho-hum. Perhaps they will switch things around again. They haven't been doing Horses in Europe, have they.

BEVERLY56 said:
Cant imagine a concert with no Bad, should be outlawed. Vertigo at the end was very cool the 1st 2 times because it was unexpected, but now it's ho-hum. Perhaps they will switch things around again. They haven't been doing Horses in Europe, have they.

Just a thought:

Perhaps the reasons people are so upset about Vertigox2 and unchanged setlists are that: 1). We eagerly check out the setlists on here every day, and 2). So many folks are going to multiple shows--and by multiple, I mean TRILLIONS.

From reading reviews, it seems like a majority of people who see a show with Vertigox2 actually like it & get the feeling that most of the rest of the crowd does, too. It seems like most of the debate about Vertigox2 or stable setlists are from people who haven't even seen it but who are instead just theorizing and debating based on setlists online. Perhaps if we didn't check out the setlists every day, we'd be more surprised & more apt to be happy with what they play.

The other folks who seem to be most upset about this are those who are seeing multiple shows and thus hearing Vertigo a million times. I'm also going to multiple shows, so I guess I'll see what I think of it in October. But maybe think of it like this: This is the Vertigo Tour. The shows they give us on this tour are the Vertigo Tour Show---Kind of like a Broadway show or a play in a way, such that it's essentially the same show every night, but with a few surprises here and there. If we were seeing a musical or a play multiple times, we wouldn't be upset that it's the same every night and that parts of the play aren't changed. Likewise, if we're off to see The Vertigo Tour Show multiple times, shouldn't we expect to see The Vertigo Tour Show---basically unchanged, but occasionally with a few surprises? Moreover, if we saw it only once and not 2 or 4 or 14 times, wouldn't we love it just as it is?

Now, this is just a thought. I'm not sure if I entirely believe it or agree with it, and I know that comparing a U2 show to Broadway is near-herisy. Plus, I'm going to a few shows, and I also drool over every post that has today's setlist or soundcheck. Still, it came to mind & I figured I'd throw it out there to see what y'all think....

Last edited:
Utoo said:

But maybe think of it like this: This is the Vertigo Tour. The shows they give us on this tour are the Vertigo Tour Show---Kind of like a Broadway show or a play in a way, such that it's essentially the same show every night, but with a few surprises here and there. If we were seeing a musical or a play multiple times, we wouldn't be upset that it's the same every night and that parts of the play aren't changed. Likewise, if we're off to see The Vertigo Tour Show multiple times, shouldn't we expect to see The Vertigo Tour Show---basically unchanged, but occasionally with a few surprises? Moreover, if we saw it only once and not 2 or 4 or 14 times, wouldn't we love it just as it is?

Now, this is just a thought. I'm not sure if I entirely believe it or agree with it, and I know that comparing a U2 show to Broadway is near-herisy. Plus, I'm going to a few shows, and I also drool over every post that has today's setlist or soundcheck. Still, it came to mind & I figured I'd throw it out there to see what y'all think....

One of the funniest post I've ever seen. I have no idea what you mean with the broadwaything. (different songs into a musical, would that also mean storyline changes each night?) we are talking about a rockshow here without any limitions other than what you can play live. for the next tour if there ever will be one, they should call it The "we are going to play 93 different songs "tour. The sad thing is, it started out wonderfull and they (for the 42230821 time) don't have to change that much each night to keep it fresh for themselves and for us..just add Crumbs and start to rotate the boysongs plus 1 pop or zooropasong..

that would make a world of difference..

zwervers2 said:
One of the funniest post I've ever seen. I have no idea what you mean with the broadwaything. (different songs into a musical, would that also mean storyline changes each night?)

Pretty much. The thought was that the Vertigo Tour is a tour of a fairly fixed show. If there's supposed to be a theme to the tour, then a fairly fixed setlist would be the way to carry out that theme. If the setlist changed frequently, they'd be more likely to lose the theme & there wouldn't be anything to differentiate this tour from previous ones, save for the addition of a few HTDAAB songs. Or worse yet---with no theme and a rotating setlist, the tour might end up being the dreaded "greatest hits" or "a look at our past" tour! :wink:

Like I said--not sure if I even believe my argument.....just thoughts. :)

And I'm laughing now, too...picturing Bono as Jean Valjean....:laugh:

I can kind of agree with Utoo's "fixed show to keep the theme" argument, and U2 have implied as much in interviews. They're trying to maintain a certain flow and message throughout the show. And as much as there are dozens and dozens of songs I would love to hear them play live, I will only get to see them once ( :sad: ), and I wouldn't really want to miss out on any of the "big tour moments" either.

Of course, that's not to say I wouldn't :combust: if Please, Acrobat, Crumbs, etc., etc., etc. suddenly made an appearance! :wink:

ps. Not sure what I think of Vertigox2 since I haven't experienced it. Anyone think they'll do that on the fall leg, too?

unosdostres14 said:
Maybe they played vertigo twice to see how many threads would be made on interference complaining about it.

I think it's Adam :adam: starting most of the threads.

Back
Top Bottom