Why is dvd so understocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaxFisher

War Child
Yesterday...lunch hour....downtown Minneapolis...

1. Target...sold out. The electronics employee said they had gotten about 6 single dvd copies total.

2. Sam Goody...had a couple single dvd copies tucked away. No Deluxe version.

3. Barnes and Noble...couple single dvd copies, no deluxe version.

4. Went to local record store...no Deluxe copies on the floor. Employee had to go to the back room to find Deluxe copy. Told me he had no idea why the distributor hadn't placed Deluxe copies on shelves. Thanked me for letting him know there was a Deluxe version.

What's the deal?

MediaMarkt in the Netherlands had the same problems last Friday. No deluxe version, but they had plenty of single version DVDs.
Cost only €13.99 instead of €19.99 elsewhere.

Target- No deluxe version either
Best Buy- No deluxe version either
Virgin- didn't even put it on the "New releases" section in front. or the new DVD's in front. But they had the Deluxe version, FOR 32$!!! Just my luck. :|

I got what looked like was the last Deluxe version (and I didn't even see the single DVD out) from a Best Buy in Greenwich Village at 9:15 AM yesterday, not sure if the store had opened at 8 or 9...anyway, it went quick, must not have gotten that many.

Struck out at Tower Records last night, but got one of what appeared to be several dozen copies available at Best Buy.

They had tonnes at Futureshop....but no special holder for them like they had for Usher :madspit:

Good ol Canada. Futurshop had tonnes and a special rack just for them. I also don't think we even had thius chincy "one-dvd" copy, only the deluxe for us canucks (especially since it was only 22$, so who needs a cheaper cope???) Anyone else think the second DVD was prett pointless and would have fit on the first anyway???

~A.j.~

here in chicago, the delux version has been tough to find...i went out to get it yesterday evening after work and pretty much every tower records and borders in the city were out of the delux version. i guess i'm gonna have to try the virgin megastore or best buy now

i went to best buy Tuesday night, they said they didnt have it. . . but i checked online that night an hour later and it said 'in stock.' so i went back today and asked for it again. . . it took them like 10 mins, they had to tell me 'were still looking for it',' but they found the deluxe version. the standard was out on the shelves in excess.

The Free Record Shops in Holland have very limited amount's of the deluxe versions in stock! Went there yesterday and bought me one, but they only received 4(!) that day...

:shifty:

I have wholesale access :shh: , and I can tell you that the supplier had plenty of copies of the regular version in stock a week before release (he can only ship to arrive to stores for street date). On street date, he had run out (but was restocked on Wed.). I don't know how many he had to start with. In regards to the deluxe version, I know the supplier had close to 1000 copies available, and they were definitely sold out by Monday... They have more on order. Maybe they (the stores) don't think U2 is that popular (or old)? Or just under-bought? Or doesn't warrant any promotion or proper shelf/display space? Or the buyers at select stores give preferential treatment to their faves? I can't even remember the last time I went to a record store (whatever you want to call it now-a-days). I know there's a new Madonna, and probably a few other releases that I'm not aware of... but still :shrug:

Just checked the suppliers database - It's the number 1 best seller, and they are out. I'm sure they will have it back in shortly - things this big don't stay out of stock for very long, especially when the demand seems high...

Neilz said:
The Free Record Shops in Holland have very limited amount's of the deluxe versions in stock! Went there yesterday and bought me one, but they only received 4(!) that day...

Media Markt got them in on Tuesday, on a nice special display and they are 5 Euro cheaper than FRS!

Luckily... Virgin in Phoenix had both of the versions stocked up. Was not in new releases, but was in the Music DVD's section. $32 for the deluxe, and $15.99 for the ordinary... luckily I am a college student (15% discount) and had a 2 year old gift card that still had $30 on it... so I lucked out on this one and the deluxe version ended costing me 40 cents, but was no way gonna spend $32 for the DVD... Would rather wait till Best Buy to get it... or order it from Amazon.

Have only looked in 2 shops so far (ive been busy ok) but niether have had it in stock!!!! I am sure it is supposed to be released here in oz the same week as elsewhere?????

Yeah, it only looked like they had about six or seven (three deluxe and a few single discs) when I went and bought my copy at Circuit City on Tuesday... they hadn't even stocked the new releases yet so we had to go digging in the box for it. :wink:

I spoke to my supplier this morning, and from what he said, everyone is pretty much out of stock on the deluxe version. He said it's Universal (the distributor) who is slow in getting it restocked to them, which in turn stocks the stores... :huh:

I just checked my local Best Buy's site and they still have copies of the deluxe, but not the regular version. Works fine for me though, I was planning on getting the deluxe either today or tomorrow when I go out to see Harry Potter:hyper:

I got the regular version at Media Play for $8.99 ! They had a card for the Deluxe that said $19.99, but they were sold out.

dezmaas said:

Media Markt got them in on Tuesday, on a nice special display and they are 5 Euro cheaper than FRS!

When you buy the Chicago dvd at the FRS you get a free-dvd with the Chris Zegers special on it.
The Vertigo special that was on dutch tv.
On that special they showed a few live songs from Chicago ( different camera angles ).
And a cool interview with the band.
Cheers ,

Mauwer

Back
Top Bottom