Why couldn't they use a real Kite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chizip said:

After viewing the youtube video, I have been able to construct a rough diagram of the "kite". It is as follows:

Baloons
|
|
|
|
Kite
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Bono

I conclude that it is a kite. The baloons serve merely to maintain a certain height and limit the kite's lateral movement. I'm guessing they did not want the kite to get caught up in the big screen and be zapped like a mosquito (North-American pest insect that bites).

ZooMacPhisto800 said:

After viewing the youtube video, I have been able to construct a rough diagram of the "kite". It is as follows:

Baloons
|
|
|
|
Kite
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Bono

I conclude that it is a kite. The baloons serve merely to maintain a certain height and limit the kite's lateral movement. I'm guessing they did not want the kite to get caught up in the big screen and be zapped like a mosquito (North-American pest insect that bites).

thats a pretty badass diagram

ZooMacPhisto800 said:

Baloons
|
|
|
|
Kite
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Bono

Thats what I said.

Also the kite did get caught in the big screen on Sydney I but the wind blew it off eventually.

To whomever asked, no the kite is not permantly grounded.

PS Im still not understanding how or why this is a fake kite.

PPS Im still tired from the concerts. This is a joke that Im not getting thread, yes?

Shag On A Rock said:

Thats what I said.

Also the kite did get caught in the big screen on Sydney I but the wind blew it off eventually.

To whomever asked, no the kite is not permantly grounded.

PS Im still not understanding how or why this is a fake kite.

PPS Im still tired from the concerts. This is a joke that Im not getting thread, yes?

For a while, it was up to debate (many of us thought the kite was "attached" at both ends - to the ground and to something else - and, therefore, not very much of a kite at all. How could you use a fake kite in a song so rich in symbolism?). Anyway, my diagram put the debate to rest. We collectively concluded that the item in question is in fact a kite.

Does everyone here realize that a kite cannot fly without being tied to a string? If you cut the string to a kite it will not fly higher and higher, it will fall to the ground. This is basic physics people. Try it sometime. I can't believe I am even having to say this.

Shag On A Rock said:

It's ZooMacTrollo800 being a troll, as per usual.

Shag On A Rock said:
Where are you? Are you still following U2? Or are you home?

At home now, but about to get back on the road soon! Still four more U2 gigs to go in Melbourne and Auckland. :drool:

Shag On A Rock said:

:drool:

I went to Sydney I & II and it was fanbloodytastic but I want more. :drool:

Damn, I'd forgotten you were at Sydney II. Seems a fair few Interferencers were and I missed them all! Wasn't that a bloody incredible show though? Definitely the best of the three I've seen thus far, even if the choice of a box kite wasn't so smart! :lol:

Hoodlem said:
Does everyone here realize that a kite cannot fly without being tied to a string? If you cut the string to a kite it will not fly higher and higher, it will fall to the ground. This is basic physics people. Try it sometime. I can't believe I am even having to say this.

There's no debate on the kite to "ground" string... it's the other one that had us up in a rage.

I'm surprised Axver is still so snippy/jaded after having seen 3 U2 shows and still seeing more. Axver, if I were to attend a show with you, I'd buy you a pint.

Axver said:

It's ZooMacTrollo800 being a troll, as per usual.

How about instead of calling people trolls, you report posts where you feel that troll-like behavior is being exhibited, and then the mods can handle it?

Bonochick said:

How about instead of calling people trolls, you report posts where you feel that troll-like behavior is being exhibited, and then the mods can handle it?

Yeah Axver, why don't you put your money where your mouth is? Why don't you stop being so intolerant. We're not all sheep (not a deliberate reference to NZ).

ZooMacPhisto800 said:

There's no debate on the kite to "ground" string... it's the other one that had us up in a rage.

I'm surprised Axver is still so snippy/jaded after having seen 3 U2 shows and still seeing more. Axver, if I were to attend a show with you, I'd buy you a pint.

I thought people were arguing over whether or not there was a string above the kite, pulling it up after the bottom string was cut or whatever.

My point is: of course there was a string! Or else the kite would fall! My other point is that if the kite keeps flying, then that is a stupid and cheesy gag because in real life the kite would fall to the ground (which would actually be symbolically much more appropriate and poignant).

Hoodlem said:

My point is: of course there was a string! Or else the kite would fall! My other point is that if the kite keeps flying, then that is a stupid and cheesy gag because in real life the kite would fall to the ground (which would actually be symbolically much more appropriate and poignant).

I agree, especially since I once read an interview where Bono talked about when he was trying to fly the kite with his daughters and they were completely uninterested and thus didn't really care if the kite flew or crashed.

Liesje said:

I agree, especially since I once read an interview where Bono talked about when he was trying to fly the kite with his daughters and they were completely uninterested and thus didn't really care if the kite flew or crashed.

How can we say that they were disinterested? Maybe there was just something on their minds that day.

Axver said:

Damn, I'd forgotten you were at Sydney II. Seems a fair few Interferencers were and I missed them all! Wasn't that a bloody incredible show though? Definitely the best of the three I've seen thus far, even if the choice of a box kite wasn't so smart! :lol:

I wish Id asked for peoples mobile numbers. I found a few people but not everyone I wanted to find. We did look for you. We were three rows from the bobble end of Edges catwalk (on the outside) at Sydney I. We were three rows from just before the bobble end on Adams catwalk (in the ellipse) at Sydney II.

I actually enjoyed Sydney I more than Sydney II. There were more fans at Sydney I. Sydney II seemed to have more people wanting a good night out. Near me anyway. Sydney I music ebbed and flowed, which I liked. Sydney II music was fullon from woe to go. I probably could have done with another slow song to calm down. Im an old lady. I need to stop dancing and rest my poor aching back :lol:

Hoodlem said:

My other point is that if the kite keeps flying, then that is a stupid and cheesy gag because in real life the kite would fall to the ground (which would actually be symbolically much more appropriate and poignant).

Maybe, but it is a nice ending to the concert. They put spotlights on it and after the band have finished you are still watching this thing disappear off into the sky, getting smaller and smaller in the distance until it slides out of reach of the spotlight and into darkness....

..... only to bring a 747 down after getting tangled in an engine. The Sydney concerts were right under a major flight path. Lucky it was never released before 11pm (Sydney Airport curfew). And as an aside, it must look awesome flying over a stadium mid U2 concert. As I watched the planes flying over Sydney 1, I liked to think that in at least one of them was one U2 fan flying in for one of the other concerts. Way to get your excitement level to 2000%.

Last edited:
So the kite was meant to fly off into the yonder distance? In Adelaide, once Bono cut the string (using a lighter?) it flew but then I guessed some fan caught hold of the string and then slowly hauled the thing back. By that stage it had got caught in the light tower near me anyway :lol:

Yeah, at Sydney 1 it went up over the screen (sort of, got tangled in the screen only to have "the wind" - ie, a tech - set it free) and it drifted off into the night behind the stage. At Sydney 3 the wind was going the other direction and it floated up and over the crowd and off over the roof of the stadium and into the night (only just - nearly got caught high up on top of the roof - no coming down from there). It moved very slowly on the first night, quite quickly on the third, disappeared at about the same time the band did. It was funny at Sydney 3 watching Bono trying to angle it before he released it. At one point it looked like he was going to send it into a dive, although I guess the baloons counter that.

off topic, but i havent been getting on interference much lately so i forgot they started touring again...whoops

this is the first time i saw the setlists....AWESOME they played Kite, was it just like the elevation version???

thanks

Strings in the intro are different, a didgeridoo is playing and Edge plays a second solo at the end. :up:
Far superior to the Elevation version to me.

Back
Top Bottom