Who Here Actually Likes having an opening Band

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know, i enjoyed having robert plant open for the who, and i think the opening band gives you at least an hour extra of leeway to get to a concert.

Axver said:
There are actually people who like the Kings Of Shit?

This is proof you CAN sell anything.

Yes there are - Bono, Adam...

The opinion means so much when its coming from one so clever to come up with 'Kings of Shit'. Thats brilliant. :wink:

jphelmet said:

Yes there are - Bono, Adam...

The opinion means so much when its coming from one so clever to come up with 'Kings of Shit'. Thats brilliant. :wink:

Does Kings Of Rubbish work for you? How about Kings Of Unlistenable Noise? Kings Of What Is Falsely Called Music? Kings Of Having A Vocalist Who Sounds Like A Demented Pig?

Next time U2 try to expose the world to something a bit different, they should make sure it has some kind of merit - not to mention stage presence! Could've fooled me into thinking they were cardboard cutouts.

(For the record, I went in with an open mind. Three concerts later, I decided Kings Of Shit was a faaaar more appropriate name.)

Axver said:

Does Kings Of Rubbish work for you? How about Kings Of Unlistenable Noise? Kings Of What Is Falsely Called Music? Kings Of Having A Vocalist Who Sounds Like A Demented Pig?

Next time U2 try to expose the world to something a bit different, they should make sure it has some kind of merit - not to mention stage presence! Could've fooled me into thinking they were cardboard cutouts.

(For the record, I went in with an open mind. Three concerts later, I decided Kings Of Shit was a faaaar more appropriate name.)

yes i agree that they're hardly the most charismatic of bands but you don't get reviews like this http://www.nme.com/reviews/11810.htm for being a rubbish band.

and you don't get booked for support by legends like U2 for being a rubbish band either.

each to their own i guess.....

I'd like to see U2 open for U2. Play a DVD of an old show on the big screens--much better than several of these openers IMO.

Last edited:
Actually, I think I'll open for U2. I can sing, though I've only got a Bono-level of guitar skill. Anyone play bass & drums?:wink:

if the opening band is good (or I have hear of them), then I don't mind at all (No Doubt, The Pixies, Garbage come to mind)

Bands such as Long Pigs and Fun Lovin' Criminals I could do without.

Opening bands give me more time to hang out in the parking lot:drunk:

I enjoy the opening bands, provided the bands are talented.

I really enjoyed the openers on this tour more than any other tour.

Kings of Leon was especially good. Having never heard them before the concert, I was not looking forward to them. Now i hear them and I get excited because their music reminds me of that anticipation before the U2 show (is there any better feeling than that preshow excitement?... especially in an indoor arena?)

Snow Patrol was AWESOME in dublin, and really impressed me with how well they commanded the crowd of 80,000 plus.

PJ Harvey was fun once, but I saw her too many times on elevation to continue to enjoy her portion of the show.

Nelly Furtado was pretty good, but maybe a little young.

The Corrs were boring, and way too lightweight to open for a band like U2.

On POPMART I saw Third Eye Blind and Fun Loving Criminals open for U2, and neither band was interesting or fun to watch. (Somehow I missed seeing Rage Against The Machine AND Oasis open for U2 and got stuck with those other 2 talent free bands. Blah)

for my money, though, the best opener was Garbage on the third leg of elevation.

They rocked, they played all kinds of hits (i had no idea they had so many)... and they were fun to watch.

in general, i think i really like having openers, although i think there are some requirements.

for U2, i think the band should actually be able to ROCK to keep some attention (Like PJ Harvey, Garbage, Kings Of Leon, Snow Patrol). Because when a band can command the crowd and ROCK, the show doesn't get boring.

plus the anticipation wouldn't be there if the gates opened at 8:30 and the show started at 9:00. For my money, i want the option of seeing more than one band.

if you don't like opening acts, get to the show at 8:20ish. If you have floor seats, well... you would have been standing around all day anyway, so no point in complaining that you get to watch a band play music for an hour when you could just be standing around doing nothing inside the ellipse

Um.... I didn't enjoy PJ Harvey .. BORING.
Let's see.... Kings Of Leon.. I would have enjoyed these guys if Eddie would have joined them when I saw U2! :( :wink:
No Doubt = UGH.

However, I would have killed to have seen U2 when Pearl Jam opened for them!! :drool: :hyper: :combust: :rockon:

Snow Patrol and the Bravery did the job at Manchester, although I can't say I stood there in awe and amazement.

Nelly furtado was surprisingly good during the elevation tour.

Popmart Wembley in 97 was poor, it was audioweb and another band I think were called the longpigs. They didn't come across well at all.

At the astoria in 2001, they had a DJ, but to be honest everyone was just desperate for the band to come on. He played a remix of last night on earth, and I think he'd have got a much better response if he'd just played rare u2 tracks.

Perhaps if some of the warm up bands played a few U2 covers it would get the crowd going !! whadaya reckon?

i wouldn't complain if a few warm up bands came out and started playing stuff like ooh, let me think.....Acrobat maybe? or maybe even Crumbs or Red Hill Mining Town?

:wink:

Opening bands are ok, if they're good, but for the most part I'd rather not have the extra noise. If Im going to get ringing in my ears, I want it to be from U2. :wink:

bombergirl1978 said:
Opening bands are ok, if they're good, but for the most part I'd rather not have the extra noise. If Im going to get ringing in my ears, I want it to be from U2. :wink:

Right on!!:yes:

So far I've not been too impressed with U2's choice of opening bands this tour or Elevation tour. I'd prefer either they choose someone much better than they have or better yet play longer sets!

I've been to about 30 U2 shows, and all the opening bands have been fucking horrible, except for The Alarm in '83 and Rage in '97.

The Pretenders, No Doubt, the fucking Longpigs, the Sugarcubes, PJ Harvey, Public Enemy, the Waterboys, the Red Rockers, the Mission, the Pogues, Zerra 1 (some shitty German band from the UF Tour), the Bodeans, Lone Justice, the Kings of Shit --- all were complete crap and a total waste of stage time and lighting wattage.

Utoo and 1stepcloser have the right idea... instead of shoving Adam's new favorite band down our throats, just play the complete Red Rocks video on the big screens with the booming sound system.

Don't tell me that wouldn't get the crowd fired up.

As an added bonus, U2 would not feel obliged to play SBS and NYD for the millionth time, having just screened far better versions of those songs from the Red Rocks tape. That will leave them with more time to play Acrobat, Red Hill Mining Town and A Celebration.

Maybe even a little Crumbs... oops, sorry for the flight of fancy, back to reality... how long will the beer lines be during Kanye West's boring act?

Last edited:
Another Day said:
instead of shoving Adam's new favorite band down our throats, just play the complete Red Rocks video on the big screens with the booming sound system.

Don't tell me that wouldn't get the crowd fired up.

I would much rather get to see a live band than a video of U2 that I have seen a thousand times.

i'm suprised at the disdain for the opening acts. it does suck to have to see through a horrible band, and it does happen with some of U2s opening choices. BUT, i really love live music, seeing bands i would not go see otherwise. I personally live the idea of Kanye West - I am not a fan but am interested to see how he comes across live.

no matter who U2 picks, there will be people who will hate the opening act, and there will be those that like them. I think U2 has done a good job of picking a wide variety of bands of the years. Some (imo) have totally sucked (no doubt, thrid eye blind, smash mouth), and some have been great (pixies, primus, rage).

Its impossible to please everybody.

Anotherday,who are Adam's favorite bands? I have heard him mention The Killers and Modest Mouse but that is it.:confused:

saw Tom Petty and the Black Crowes at Red Rocks the other week. The Crowes were definitely the only opening band I've ever really truly enjoyed.

Placebo opened for U2 as well. That show would probably push me so far over the top I'd spend the rest of my existence in an out-of-body state only occasionally stopping in for coffee.

Back
Top Bottom