Who do you think is the best Vertigo Tour Support Act so far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jphelmet said:

Make up your mind. Your the one that said they would blow U2 off the stage.

I wouldn't address it either because its an indefensible position. (and if you U2 is your favorite band, you know that :wink: )

As much as I love U2, I think they'd need to play a better set than their current one if they were following Porcupine Tree. And I ultimately think PT are far better artists who play very intelligent music - but don't have the special spark only U2 have, the spark that makes the whole far greater than the sum of its parts.

1stOne said:

I already looked on iTunes andyuk. There are only 2 choices, an EP, Lazarus, and an album Absentia (I think that's what it was called) so if you find out more will you PM me please?

Lazarus is the single from this year's Deadwing album. In Absentia (2002) and Deadwing are PT's best-selling albums but they're a bit heavier than previous albums.

The band don't exactly have a high profile, though.

Axver said:

Lazarus is the single from this year's Deadwing album. In Absentia (2002) and Deadwing are PT's best-selling albums but they're a bit heavier than previous albums.

The band don't exactly have a high profile, though.

I listened to a snippet of Lazarus. It sounded tame. Which tracks from In Absentia would you recommend as an introduction to the band? Don't want to buy the album in case I don't like them. Thanks Axver.

1stOne said:

I listened to a snippet of Lazarus. It sounded tame. Which tracks from In Absentia would you recommend as an introduction to the band? Don't want to buy the album in case I don't like them. Thanks Axver.

Lazarus is pretty much the softest song on Deadwing. From In Absentia, my two favourites are Blackest Eyes and The Sound Of Muzak, the latter being a great send-up of the modern musical scene. A lot of people praise Trains and it has two nice solos but it's not one of my favourites. If you want something quite dark, Strip The Soul is where to look; heavy would be the 6:30 instrumental Wedding Nails, driven by a great metal riff; and I find the closer, Collapse The Light Into Earth, to be very haunting.

I could maybe YSI a couple?

Axver said:

Lazarus is pretty much the softest song on Deadwing. From In Absentia, my two favourites are Blackest Eyes and The Sound Of Muzak, the latter being a great send-up of the modern musical scene. A lot of people praise Trains and it has two nice solos but it's not one of my favourites. If you want something quite dark, Strip The Soul is where to look; heavy would be the 6:30 instrumental Wedding Nails, driven by a great metal riff; and I find the closer, Collapse The Light Into Earth, to be very haunting.

I could maybe YSI a couple?

Thanks, it's OK I'll download a couple of those. Only 79p per track!

Axver said:

Haha, get a clue. Pretentious? How about talented musicians who make intelligent music? If you want to call a band pretentious, go look up some of that 'indie' shit.

PT would blow U2 off stage simply because they're better musicians. Vertigo and Elevation would sound rather empty after The Sound Of Muzak or Piano Lessons.

1. I've never heard of Porcupine Tree.
2. Let's see where Porcupine Tree is 1, 3, or 5 years from now.
3. I HAVE heard of The Joshua Tree. :wink:

u2wedge said:

1. I've never heard of Porcupine Tree.
2. Let's see where Porcupine Tree is 1, 3, or 5 years from now.
3. I HAVE heard of The Joshua Tree. :wink:

Porcupine Tree has been around since 1989 and released roughly the same amount of albums as U2.

When I heard Snow Patrol, my 2nd favorite band was opening for U2, I got all excited. I thought I had a chance to see my 2 favorite bands in the same night. Turns out the news only applied to European shows and when I found out, I was a little bummed. Luckily for me, I did some research and saw that Snow Patrol was performing in New York only 3 days after U2's NJ show (5/17/05) that I was going to see. So it didn't turn out all bad. I got to see my 2 favorite bands in the same week. Best 3 days of my summer. :)

I totally forgot they were supporting. They're a great live band. ALSO on their last tour in 2003 they let fans request the three songs they most wanted to hear and devoted a portion of the show to play the top four for each night. Something for U2 to consider, hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom