White wristbands displayed at the concert.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2phoenix

Babyface
how many are planning on ordering the white wristbands and showing them off during the vertigo tour? i know i'll have mine as im jumping up and down during "uno, dos, tres....catorce".

Put me down as probable. Here's the deal though: I'm more likely to have a One wristband than a ticket. :(

Just another way to take advantage of a captive audience. As if we haven't "donated" enough of our cash to the nation of U2.

How about this...they take a single dollar out of each ticket they sell this tour and donate it to these countries in debt. There's an easy million.

TheFly40 said:
Just another way to take advantage of a captive audience. As if we haven't "donated" enough of our cash to the nation of U2.

How about this...they take a single dollar out of each ticket they sell this tour and donate it to these countries in debt. There's an easy million.

paying money to go to a concert *isn't* the same as donating money to the ONE campaign or Oxfam or any of the other organizations fighting to make poverty history by relieving Third World debt. The wristbands aren't a marketing ploy if you purchase them from the real organizations. And I might add that Bono's advocacy has contributed more toward debt relief, in bottom line dollars, than even a dollar from every ticket sold. You may well be bitter about paying too much for tickets, but I hate to see it conflated with giving support to an important cause.

;)I'm wearing the band right now! I'm not a hugely charitable guy, but this is as worthy a cause as I can think of. Just imagine how amazing it'd be for the 3rd world countries to finally escape the poverty trap of debt, that's been crushing them for so many decades.
The more people that know about it and wear a band, the greater the mounting pressure will be on the G8, IMF and World Bank to erradicate 3rd World Debt.:hyper:

"This :heart: is like a drop in the ocean"

corner said:
;)I'm wearing the band right now! I'm not a hugely charitable guy, but this is as worthy a cause as I can think of. Just imagine how amazing it'd be for the 3rd world countries to finally escape the poverty trap of debt, that's been crushing them for so many decades.
The more people that know about it and wear a band, the greater the mounting pressure will be on the G8, IMF and World Bank to erradicate 3rd World Debt.:hyper:

"This :heart: is like a drop in the ocean"
:applaud: :applaud:

of course these wristbands alone won't change the world, but it is a great idea to draw attention to what the band is for. the whole idea is to spark awareness to the situation and hopefully help eradicate what is happening.

u2phoenix said:
of course these wristbands alone won't change the world, but it is a great idea to draw attention to what the band is for. the whole idea is to spark awareness to the situation and hopefully help eradicate what is happening.

...and hopefully people get inspired to do more than just buy the wristband...even if it means signing the ONE petition or encouraging a few other people to write letters. while bracelets may be "trendy" I like to think that people who buy them will stand behind them and will be motivated to take action.

coemgen said:
Oh, of course, we all must get the wrist bands. This is too easy a way to change the world.

:der: Um yeah...Sorry if I gave you the impression that wearing a band is the 'be all and end all' of debt cancellation. Of course it isn't. By wearing a band though, it's a good way of showing your support for something you believe in (think of your rationale in buying a U2 T-shirt) and raising people's a) Awareness and b)Interest of that issue.
These 2 things may not change the world directly, but they provide the conditions which are required for any kind of political Activation.

Ordered my white ONE wristbands yesterday... Hopefully they will make it by 3/28! And I signed the ONE petition and hope to help more in other ways. The site said 3-5weeks. Anyone get theirs sooner than that???

coemgen,
I kind of forgot that it was you that first brought up Mute Math on the Goal is Soul board. Actually, I've just been jamming to samples so far, but I'll be ordering the CD very soon. I just thought I'd use my avatar to do some advertising.

TheFly40 said:

An "easy million" really wouldn't do much to help considering these countries pay well over that annually in paying for old debts that should be cancelled. The problem is a little more complicated than that.

Besides, these wristbands are not a U2 product. They aren't benefiting personally from your meager dollar.

I'll be wearing my MPH wristbands. :yes:

corner said:

:der: Um yeah...Sorry if I gave you the impression that wearing a band is the 'be all and end all' of debt cancellation. Of course it isn't. By wearing a band though, it's a good way of showing your support for something you believe in (think of your rationale in buying a U2 T-shirt) and raising people's a) Awareness and b)Interest of that issue.
These 2 things may not change the world directly, but they provide the conditions which are required for any kind of political Activation.

i gotcha :wink: just elaborating on the point you were making 'cause i'm very talkative!

:wave: U2Fantatic!!! We're going to have soooo much fun in SD!!! :dance:

ruffian said:

i gotcha :wink: just elaborating on the point you were making 'cause i'm very talkative!

:wave: U2Fantatic!!! We're going to have soooo much fun in SD!!! :dance:

:wave: hiya ruffian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know its gonna be one hell of a day and nite.!!:drool:

Wristbands are a passing fad that will be replaced by something equally as stupid in a year or two.
Why do people feel they need a cool colored wristband to donate to a worthy cause?

Ifeelnumb84 said:
Wristbands are a passing fad that will be replaced by something equally as stupid in a year or two.
Why do people feel they need a cool colored wristband to donate to a worthy cause?

Well...if it's a cause or, in the case of AIDS/poverty, an emergency that one feels strongly about what is wrong with doing something to try and help raise awareness? Now if that is all someone did for a situation then perhaps that might be silly....but I for one am very passionate about the emergency behind The One Campaign and wearing a 'stupid' wristband is only a very small part of my efforts.

u2phoenix said:
how many are planning on ordering the white wristbands and showing them off during the vertigo tour? i know i'll have mine as im jumping up and down during "uno, dos, tres....catorce".

I ordered 20 of them. :crazy: But it's absolutely for a good cause.

U2Fanatic4ever said:
Ordered my white ONE wristbands yesterday... Hopefully they will make it by 3/28! And I signed the ONE petition and hope to help more in other ways. The site said 3-5weeks. Anyone get theirs sooner than that???

Bono was wearing a white armband at the Grammy Awards that said 'Make Poverty History'. It was just hand written on a strip of white cloth. If that's what's in your heart, then I don't see anything wrong with making your own.

The most important thing to do is to make sure that ALL of us and evryone that we know have signed the ONE Campaign petition to put pressure on our elected officials to give the FULL AMOUNT of money to Global AIDS and anti-poverty programs.

What would probably make Bono the most grateful would be to know that EACH of us have gotten at least ten of our friends and family to support The ONE Campaign's petition. (I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't mention this at the concerts.) :yes:

By all means, get some ONE Campaign wristbands and wear them at the concerts - just don't stop there. The bands are meaningless if we don't ourselves GET ACTIVELY INVOLVED in the struggle against the AIDS pandemic and extreme poverty.

Again, mark my words - I'll bet Bono will tell us the same thing at the concerts.

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

http://www.one.org

Ifeelnumb84 said:

I think it helps feel like you're a part of what you believe in. None of us are rich or famous enough to be able to do what Bono can so it helps to have a symbol that shows us that our small amounts of donations and support are worth something in the end. Sometimes, they give you a chance to explain to someone. For example, I have a beaded AIDS ribbon on my purse, handmade by HIV+ nurses in Africa. You'd be surprised how many people don't have a clue what it stands for and ask me about it. It's a nice way to get the word around without preaching at people. If they know, they know, and if they don't, they'll ask.

Even though I am buying a wristband, I absolutely want to help even more. After watching Bono speak at the TED conference, I feel the need to do more. Even though I volunteer for different things, Bono has inspired me even more to help others out.

Back
Top Bottom