which song or songs will close the concerts in the next tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:
OK folks, here's the pattern of closers;

Pre-War tours (pre-1983): typically The Ocean. I must note this was not always the case.

War to Lovetown (1983-1990): 40. Occasionally other songs closed, but that was VERY uncommon (i.e. With Or Without You at a few Lovetown shows, such as 4 November 1989, Christchurch).

ZooTV (1992-1993): Love Is Blindness, then Can't Help Falling In Love With You.

Popmart (1997-1998): This had more variety than people think. Wake Up Dead Man was a common closer, but I don't think it even closed a majority of shows. One closed some, 40 closed four, Mothers Of The Disappeared closed the South American shows, and other songs like Unchained Melody occasionally showed up.

Elevation (2001): Walk On at every show.

So what does that tell you? Don't bet on a new song. We all know 40 will close U2's last concert ever, but besides that ... it's anyone's guess. Who would have thought Love Is Blindness would be a closer? Who would have suggested Walk On? A continuation of Walk On will not make it seem like Elevation Part II in my opinion, especially considering it is a very good closer. However, I do not think it will remain as a closer (or even in the setlist unless a catastrophe occurs in the world).

My bet? It's always safe to bet on 40. After all, it's the best concert closer ever performed by anyone.

Axver, what about One closing Elevation Manchester (I know it was due to technical problems but still), Pride closing Turin and Out of Control closing the third NYC show after 9/11? ;)

And you semeed to have forgotten that Vertigo closed every European leg tour bar one, as well as closing a sprinkling of American dates. And with the more passionate European/South American crowds, as opposed to the more conservative U.S. crowds, I certainly would fancy Vertigo to open and close these stadium dates.

"40" only really works in the intimate arena setting, and even then can feel like a disappointing 'warming-down' exercise.

You need the bigger crash and finishes in a big stadium.

That's why I think thye'll stay with Vertigo to close on the 4th leg.

I think a softer song from the new album

or, they can actually play Vertigo ONCE to close a concert

DignityPassesBy said:
I'd like them to close with streets i think it would be cool by the way how many closers have their been so far this tour

"40"
Bad
Vertigo
Fast Cars

...I think that's all. And I think Streets wouldn't work as a closer... not sure why, I just don't like the idea.

Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:

Axver, what about One closing Elevation Manchester (I know it was due to technical problems but still), Pride closing Turin and Out of Control closing the third NYC show after 9/11? ;)

Mostly true, yes. Pride didn't close a show - Turin had Out Of Control after Pride. OOC closed three Elevation shows.

And you semeed to have forgotten that Vertigo closed every European leg tour bar one, as well as closing a sprinkling of American dates.

Rather hard to even have known that as the post you quoted is from 2004.

(Also, Vertigo x2 didn't close three European shows - Dublin III, Amsterdam III, and Lisbon all closed with 40.)

And with the more passionate European/South American crowds, as opposed to the more conservative U.S. crowds, I certainly would fancy Vertigo to open and close these stadium dates.

I'm not so sure. One justification for Vertigo x2 was the fact that it was too light to use the proper lights at the start of the show, so they played it the second time WITH the lights. Whether that's true or not, I don't know, but if it is, they don't have that justification on the fourth leg as it will be well and truly dark by the time the show begins.

Also, it was interesting that they seemed to phase Vertigo x2 out on the third leg. Yes, they did it twice early on, but as the leg progressed, special occasions on which it would've appeared on leg one did not feature it. Boston on 4 December is a prime example - they play THREE encores, and yet there's not a sign of Vertigo x2. I'm wondering if they feel it has run its course.

We'll find out in 20-odd days, I guess!

Bodnex said:
With or Without You closed as well. As did Instant Karma.

And Fast Cars too. Closing song stats, blatantly copied from my own site:

· 40 (58)
· Vertigo (36)
· Bad (14)
· Instant Karma! (1)
· With Or Without You (1)
· Fast Cars (1)

(I removed Yahweh from the list as the only show it closed was the private rehearsal in Brussels that a number of fans outside the venue heard. It was listed as the closer on the pre-printed setlists at two third leg shows but didn't actually get played last.)

Axver said:
I'm not so sure. One justification for Vertigo x2 was the fact that it was too light to use the proper lights at the start of the show, so they played it the second time WITH the lights. Whether that's true or not, I don't know, but if it is, they don't have that justification on the fourth leg as it will be well and truly dark by the time the show begins.

Yeah... this was also the justification for not opening with CoBL in Europe. I hope that if it's dark by showtime, they will open with City in a stadium. That would be magic.

even though it was light in europe, there were no screen action until COBL, so unless the band are creating new material for onscreen, I imagine it would be "off" until that song.

Back
Top Bottom