Where will the Vertigo tour rank with u2's others tours?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimjam

Acrobat
Only two shows left now of this leg and now it's time to see, How does this tour compare to other tours?

For me, it is second to the ZOO Tv tour. What does anyone else think?

I've only seen PopMart, Elevation and Vertigo. Vertigo ranks last for me and right now I'm tied with Pop and Elevation as :heart:

For me, I'd rank ZooTV the highest and then Elevation.

Well, here's how I would rank them, judging only by the tours Ive seen (was too young and oblivious in the 80's).

1. Zoo TV. What a huge show, nothing like this had ever been done before. Total sensory overload. Bono's falsetto never better. They were trying to be cool, and surprisingly they were!

2. Elevation Tour. Just the feeling upon hearing the first notes of the Elevation remix over the PA was worth the price of admission. What an uplifting feeling. (in my opinion their best opener).
Some would argue some of the new songs were a little bit slow, but they were just so well written and performed I couldnt help but love them live. Bono sounded great most nights.

3. Vertigo. band sounds awesome, Bono sounds great. My main beef is, the new songs just dont do much for me, and they dont really develop over the course of the tour (How can a song like Love and Peace really go anywhere new). Varied setlist was nice, altho they needed to play the new discotheque more! On the plus side, has Edge ever played better? Very close 3rd.

4. Popmart. Great stage design, but for me, not much else other than a few of the songs were awesome live (Mofo, Do You Feel Loved (why did they drop this), Miami, Please). Karaoke quite possibly the lowest entertainment moment of any u2 tour. Bono bottomed out many nights, his voice just wasnt there for much of the tour. Most static setlist ever, no surprises.

I'll let you know when I see the concert tomorrow night here in Salt Lake City.

Up to now I've seen Popmart and Elevation and I think Elevation was the better of the two.

ZooTV. One of the great rock tours in history, end of story

Joshua Tree. Bono's voice was amazing, his high point

Elevation. Triumphant return of beloved oldies, great stage idea

PopMart. Visually stunning, but sound quality was poor

Vertigo. Not terribly original

Zoo TV
Vertigo (but only b/c I saw many shows, most from GA--Elevation might be ranked higher if I'd seen more than 2 of those shows and/or if I'd had GA)
Elevation
Popmart

For me, it comes in third behind Lovetown and The Joshua Tree Tour, and depending on my mood, the War Tour edges it out for third too.

I'm surprised so many people are putting it roughly level with Elevation because I rate Elevation a lot lower - mainly because of the terrible third leg.

Fom reading the posts it sounds like the ZooTV was the one to see. If only I could have ! :scream:

Thank God there are concert DVD's. :wink:

1. ZooTV - they will never be this cool again, unfortunately. Could a tour be more mind-blowing, by any band, ever?!?!

2. Vertigo - while I'm not a big fan of HTDAAB, I loved how much "fun" this tour was. The band seems very much to be enjoying themselves and the shows have a lot more energy than we've seen from them - consistently - in years.

3. Elevation - because going to this tour was like routing for the underdog. Here was U2 trying (and succeeding) to prove that they were back, they were big, and they were worth it, after the lukewarm response to the whole Pop era. And they did a good job, though I felt the energy was lacking at some shows.

4. Popmart - to me this was the big, hollow, empty tour. Especially the first leg. It was so gigantic and overblown that it ended up consuming the band themselves...I might as well have gone to a laser show with U2 music. And then finally, when the band figures out what it wants Popmart to be, Bono's voice goes out. Unfortunate.

Can't comment on the 80's tours, haven't seen/heard any...

Axver said:
For me, it comes in third behind Lovetown and The Joshua Tree Tour, and depending on my mood, the War Tour edges it out for third too.

I'm surprised so many people are putting it roughly level with Elevation because I rate Elevation a lot lower - mainly because of the terrible third leg.

setlist wise the third leg is terrible

but the passion of the performances totally trump that

LemonMacPhisto said:

setlist wise the third leg is terrible

but the passion of the performances totally trump that

I find the performances boring as hell too.

i dont think the people who went to the MSG shows would consider them boring as hell

the third leg was full of emotional concerts, quite an amazing experience

seeing please (albeit acoustically) a few times 3rd leg on elevation is one of my highlights of all the shows i've been to.

StlElevation said:

well i cant see how you can critisize a performance as being boring as hell if you werent there to watch it live.

yeah, sure they didn't bring out a song like Drowning Man or something, but what they played and how they played them are still amazing

quality over quantity

StlElevation said:

well i cant see how you can critisize a performance as being boring as hell if you werent there to watch it live.

I guess that by the same logic, I can't praise a performance as exceptional if I wasn't there to watch it live?

Sorry, One Tree Hill from 26 December 1989 ...

Axver said:

I guess that by the same logic, I can't praise a performance as exceptional if I wasn't there to watch it live?

Sorry, One Tree Hill from 26 December 1989 ...

well considering youre from new zealand and the performance on December 26th, 1989 seemed to be a good one of the song, it seems to be worthy of your praise, with the history of the song in mind.

but what about the people in new york as chizip said in MSG after 9/11 ? boring to them? no.

i find it really hard to critisize a show for being boring when you aren't even there watching it. you weren't in the atmosphere of the show, and you're probably listening to it years later, via (presumably crappy) bootleg.

StlElevation said:

well considering youre from new zealand and the performance on December 26th, 1989 seemed to be a good one of the song, it seems to be worthy of your praise, with the history of the song in mind.

but what about the people in new york as chizip said in MSG after 9/11 ? boring to them? no.

i find it really hard to critisize a show for being boring when you aren't even there watching it. you weren't in the atmosphere of the show, and you're probably listening to it years later, via (presumably crappy) bootleg.

Oh, I bet the people there enjoyed it. I've no doubt about that. But as far as I'm concerned, it was one of U2's worst tour legs ever.

Let's just drop it, OK? I can't be arsed arguing, especially because it seems all the American members are (understandably, I suppose) in love with that leg.

Axver said:

Oh, I bet the people there enjoyed it. I've no doubt about that. But as far as I'm concerned, it was one of U2's worst tour legs ever.

Let's just drop it, OK? I can't be arsed arguing, especially because it seems all the American members are (understandably, I suppose) in love with that leg.

alrighty, but for somebody who spouts off about one tree hill being so awesome i guess i find it a bit hypocritical to bash that leg. but to each their own, we can leave it be.:wink:

1. ZooTV
2. PopMart
3. Vertigo
4. Lovetown
5. Elevation
6. Joshua Tree
7. War
8. Other

but chizip many would argue that the bands performance on both the second and third leg would match if not beat the performances on the elevation tour,imo some fans found some faith in the band becaue of 9/11 and are now claiming they are "poor" because they arent living up to what they did during that time, but yet they have still done what many fans asked for, brining gloria, UTEOTW, mysterious ways etc back into the setlist, and even down to silly things like bono running around, (which he is now running at brake neck speed twice around the ellipse while chasing the egde during UTEOTW), so this is where the band simply cannot win when it comes to touring, they try and ty to please everybody, but they cant, people say drop BTBS, and yes maybe a valid argument, but listening to many bootlegs this tour, that song still gets an amazing cheer

once again thats just my debate for this tour

Back
Top Bottom