Where is the best spot outside the ellipse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2drowningman

Babyface
I'll be lining up early in the GA line to get the best spot in the ellipse if I'm chosen, but also to ensure I get the best spot outside the ellipse if I don't get chosen.

So, has the 'tip' of the ellipse proven to be the preferred spot for those outside of the ellipse? Or is it better to be in the corner next to the stage?

Am I right to assume the ramps of the ellipse are 'downhill' from the stage to the tip, so that at the tip the boys are closest to floor level than at any other spot?

Thanks

Yup, you are correct. The very tip of the ellipse is great, but slightly to the right of it is where Larry and Bono tend to do more of their thing. Bono and Edge also did Stuck in a Moment acoustic there. They were mostly there as well for the 1st leg.

The corners don't actually reach all the way to the stage. The tip is where they'll hang out for a bit at times. I think the best spots are about 6 feet to the right & left of center. There, you'll see little one-foot platforms on the railing where Bono will occasionally step out into the crowd. If you can get a spot near those, then you might have a better chance of some up-close and personal Bono time. I was at the Edge-side platform & Bono didn't use it for my GA show. The next show, he did use the platform, but he went out on Adam's side. From what I've seen, he spends a bit more time on Adam's side in general, plus that's where the LAPOE drum solo is.

So, basically, my three choices would be:
1. Adam-side platform
2. Tip
3. Edge-side platform

The 2 times I was on the floor - I went all the way right. It was amazing. Just as good as being in the middle of the ellipse!

Bono seems to favor Adam's side of the ramp. I was in the corner, one person back from the rail, on Adam's side each time I had GA, and I had an amazing view.

I can give away this secret now because I don't have any more GA tickets for the tour :wink:

nothing beats being directly at the tip in my opinion

ive been along the rail at the tip, at the platform on the right, and all the way to the right, and being at the tip makes you feel like you're seeing the show how it was intended on being seen. youve got a straight on view of all the curtains and effects.

Last edited:
thanks a lot folks, this is just the kind of input I was looking for--

keep the opinions coming!:applaud:

Chizip said:
nothing beats being directly at the tip in my opinion

ive been along the rail at the tip, at the platform on the right, and all the way to the right, and being at the tip makes you feel like you're seeing the show how it was intended on being seen. youve got a straight on view of all the curtains and effects.

That is if you have a really tall security guard standing at the tip and making it impossible to see (esp if you're short which I am but even if you were almost his height it would have been bad. I almost had a night of yellow shirt) However, to just to the right of the tip is just perfect.

Weds DC show, super tall security guard at tip and then Thurs DC show, the tip was free of a guard. Sigh!!!

I was just to the left of the tip last night, and Edge did his part on Stuck In a Moment right in front of me. So if you're an Edge fan, that's the place to be.

Outside rail just to the right of the tip. Look for bits of tape on the floor of the ellipse. That's where they set Larry's drum. Bono and Larry bang on it right in front of you. Plus you still get a good view of Edge & Bono during the acoustic part. Adam stopped and played right in front of us with a big grin. If you won't be very close to the main stage I'd say this is the best spot!

I like the tip, slightly to the right (where the drum goes and where Bono steps into the crowd). I've been there, as well as over to the left and right. The tip is the best b/c the walkway is at the lowest point there. Over on the sides you have to look way up to see them.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I like the tip, slightly to the right (where the drum goes and where Bono steps into the crowd). I've been there, as well as over to the left and right. The tip is the best b/c the walkway is at the lowest point there. Over on the sides you have to look way up to see them.

again, only if there isn't a super tall security guard right at the tip!
Pissed, am I!!!!

skjuls said:

again, only if there isn't a super tall security guard right at the tip!
Pissed, am I!!!!

yeah, that would suck. In Chicago, one of the security guards stood in front of my boyfriend. He told us his boss said to stand in front of my bf b/c he's a big/tall guy and then he wouldn't block someone's view. Reason #4587493587 why the UC is the best venue for GA....

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

yeah, that would suck. In Chicago, one of the security guards stood in front of my boyfriend. He told us his boss said to stand in front of my bf b/c he's a big/tall guy and then he wouldn't block someone's view. Reason #4587493587 why the UC is the best venue for GA....

Nice.

The security at MCI had very ill regard for anything.

It's the same security people they had at Foo Fighters in Fairfax and they showed favoritism there.

Anyhow, if I had the tip on night two I wouldn't have encountered this issue. No security guard was directly in front of the tip since they had 8 instead of 7 security guards.

Oh well, I had an awesome friend who let me move over to my right to get a better view.

BTW, DC2 the security in front of me again (why does this happen to me) said the tip guard got yelled at since he was trying to compromise his standing position so I could see better.

DEFINITELY Adam side platform outside the ellipse is the best spot... The first show on this tour, i got the tip and noticed that Bono spent most of his time, when he ventured out, just to the right. Plus, those platforms give him a place to lean over and put his foot on... The tip of the ellipse is not like the tip of the heart... It does not have that platform... Also, a great moment is during Sometimes... and Bono at every show i have seen, always sings this on the right side of the ellipse... and he stops right in front of the right platform... it's the best spot in the house when he hits that great note!

didn't matter...I got in :wink:

DSC02465.jpg

Back
Top Bottom