Where do we post 'Excessive Scalping'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cmb

I was not trying to pick a fight with you. I was simply stating what I heard, first hand, from someone I believe to be "in the know" on the situation.

In response to your question about why he would continue to do business with them I believe he was more refering to ClearChannel pulling the seats. This was on his tour last spring so he has not done business with them since. The main reason is, I am assuming, that it is impossible to tour without ClearChannel and Ticketmaster in major venues in North America.

So, I may be wrong but I am just relaying what I heard. I also wasnt insulting your job. The first post made it sound like you worked in customer service. I apologize if I offended you by my assumption.

Oh, check this one out

http://www.TicketsNow.com/?Pollstar

They've got at least 100 tickets to most shows on the first leg, with nearly all of the MSG tickets going for over $1,000.

I tried reporting some of the worst eBay scams to U2.com (the $2,000 MSG ticket) and got an automated response back, so I don't really have a lot of faith...

Don't patronize www.tickettrader.com either. Like everyone else I was unable to get GA (or good tix) online through U2.com. So I bought 2 GA tix from this site- at 350% plus the face vale. They took my credit card #- for tickets they advertised. The next day I got an email saying the transaction was cancelled- as the price range was no longer available. Now they offer the same tickets that I bought from them at 600% face value. They basically weren't satisfied with their profit after they thought about it and cancelled my order. Classy operation.

editorinchief said:
Cmb

I was not trying to pick a fight with you. I was simply stating what I heard, first hand, from someone I believe to be "in the know" on the situation.

In response to your question about why he would continue to do business with them I believe he was more refering to ClearChannel pulling the seats. This was on his tour last spring so he has not done business with them since. The main reason is, I am assuming, that it is impossible to tour without ClearChannel and Ticketmaster in major venues in North America.

So, I may be wrong but I am just relaying what I heard. I also wasnt insulting your job. The first post made it sound like you worked in customer service. I apologize if I offended you by my assumption.

I appreciate your candor, and did not feel like you were insulting me or my former employer. I concur with what you are saying regarding Clear Channel diverting tickets, but must again make clear that would not be a decision or a policy of Ticketmaster. I do not feel it is my obligation to defend Ticketmaster, as they certainly could do a lot of things better. However, the fact remains that they have developed the most reliable easist ticket buying system on the planet and receive a lot of grief because they are the initial point of contact with the general public. Education as to what is actually going on at a promoter level would greatly help their image. But the fact they remain the industry leader, is telling. Companies do not dominate an industry like they do by operating under-the-table and with illegal business practices.

I also am in the music business, as an audio engineer, and daily deal with general ignorance regarding our field. Perhaps there has never been a industry thought to be understood by so many, when in fact most have no idea how it really works. Whether we are talking about illegal file sharing, the reverse censorship of Walmart, or U2 tickets, genuine understanding of these issues is necessary before one can be a balanced critic. That, I feel, is the essence of what the last part of Larry Mullen's email was regarding.

Of course, this is a message board community and there are no requirements as such. We all must take things with a grain of salt, I suppose.

Cheers, editor.

Last edited:
bret6262 said:
Don't patronize www.tickettrader.com either. Like everyone else I was unable to get GA (or good tix) online through U2.com. So I bought 2 GA tix from this site- at 350% plus the face vale. They took my credit card #- for tickets they advertised. The next day I got an email saying the transaction was cancelled- as the price range was no longer available. Now they offer the same tickets that I bought from them at 600% face value. They basically weren't satisfied with their profit after they thought about it and cancelled my order. Classy operation.

I might suggest to anyone who is currently in the market for tickets at a mark up (for whatever the reasons) that now might not be a very good time. Brokers, Ebay-ers, scalpers are taking advantage of the bit of U2 hysteria that is going on right now. I am sure that you will see tickest going for 25% over face value here in a few weeks. Wait till the market calms down and people have traded for what they need. Then, if you have decided your best option is to buy from a reseller (regardless of your personal morals) you will probably get a much better deal. Plus you will run a much smaller risk of having your tickets never arrive if the Ebay-er has their auction pulled.

Don't stress yet. The best time to get tickets is still weeks away. Please look at the forums on this site, U2tours.com, u2.com, and others before buying from a broker. Many times you will find a deal that way.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
Oh, check this one out
http://www.TicketsNow.com/?Pollstar
They've got at least 100 tickets to most shows on the first leg, with nearly all of the MSG tickets going for over $1,000.
Originally posted by ThisIs40...there is actually a broker network wherein every site can list the other brokers' tickets, and make a commission off the sale, if it is made on their site. The actual holder of the tickets makes a greater profit, but the owner of the site still makes something, just for processing the sale. If this is the case, then seeing 100 pair of GA for MSG on several different sites may simply mean that all the brokers, together, got 100 pair--not that each has 100 of their own.
Originally posted by editorinchiefhttp://www.natb.org/join/

look at the benefits

national database...
From the
natb.org site Consumer FAQ:
"Q. What if the NATB member I call doesn't have what I want?
A. Our members may also use their vast network of contacts to get you tickets to an event that they may not have in stock as well as those events that they have tickets on hand."

"Vast network of contacts" sure sounds a lot like what I described, although I'm sure some will read it to only mean inside contacts at Ticketmaster or the venues.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway...

I'm not trying to fight their fight, but the focus on them as such a big problem is just getting a little absurd. Sure, I wish a hundred more "true" fans got the tickets. But I don't even think that would cover the number of people on this board who are dissatisfied.

And who knows, the tickets may have wound up in the hands of people who couldn't care less about the band and just wanted a different venue to get drunk in for a night. I doubt those people will pay broker prices for a place to hang out.

Last edited:
and also besides closer to shows being the best time for tickets, most of the fans don't have their tickets yet, when all the fans that have extras post their tickets on Ebay, they will most likely not put those revolting prices for them.

If you have an issue with ticket brokers, petition your Congressman to ban them. They are perfectly legal, as of the 1980s, and they can charge whatever price they want, no matter how "excessively."

Melon

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom