When will U2 have there next world tour??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeffo17

Acrobat
When will U2 start its next Tour any predictions??

Will they come to Australia again?

sorry if this has been already posted.

Depends when the new album is out...

If its Late '07, you would say 2008 Tour
If its early/late 2008 you would say end 2008/early 2009....

Leebonoman96 said:
Probably 2008. Back In Australia around 2015. Cant wait

If the aussie dollar stays fine and dandy they'll be back much sooner than 2015.

Here's my optimistic prediction:

Late 2007: New album
Early 2008: Tour's 1st leg, North America
Mid 2008: Tour's 2nd leg, Europe
Late 2008: Tour's 3rd leg, North America
Early 2009: Tour's 4th leg, Latin America, Oceania, and Japan

For the pessimistic prediction, make everything a year later and remove the fourth leg.

That assumes they get right back to work on the new album.

I'm trending toward the pessimistic on this one. It was four years between ATYCLB and HTDAAB and I think it's going to be four years between HTDAAB and the new one. Especially since we've gotten the book, U218 and all the other products.

The only reason to do an album in 2007 is that it would be the band's 30th anniversary -- and maybe that is a good reason.

silvrlvr said:
That assumes they get right back to work on the new album.

I'm trending toward the pessimistic on this one. It was four years between ATYCLB and HTDAAB and I think it's going to be four years between HTDAAB and the new one. Especially since we've gotten the book, U218 and all the other products.

The only reason to do an album in 2007 is that it would be the band's 30th anniversary -- and maybe that is a good reason.

right, but when does the 4 year clock start ticking? Dec. 10? Or from the end of the shows in March of '06? I'd like to think we've already chopped 9 months off of that 4 year cycle.

ATYCLB came out in 2000, HTDAAB in 2004. Four years regardless of touring in between albums.

Seems like a 2008 prediction wouldn't be unreasonable.

After seeing the Chicago DVD I was worried that they wouldn't be touring very much longer.

After seeing them live this past Weds night I think maybe we've got a lot to look forward to.

maycocksean said:
ATYCLB came out in 2000, HTDAAB in 2004. Four years regardless of touring in between albums.

Seems like a 2008 prediction wouldn't be unreasonable.

I don't see how that logic holds. You might as well say "well, there was only a year between War and UF, so the next album will come out in 1985!" or "there were four years between Zooropa and Pop that included a soundtrack side project, so now that we've had the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack, U2's next album won't be out until 2001!"

In any case, HTDAAB was originally meant to come out in 2003 and it would have done so if the band had been happy with the Chris Thomas sessions.

I don't yet see need for 2008 pessimism.

Agreed, if u've read the book 4 years isnt necessarily standard. HTDAAB was meant to come out much sooner. and how quick did they knock up Achtung through to Pop, and after that it was only 2 years for ATYCLB.

I personally think they've got an album under way from the sounds of things with all of Bono's talk on playing piano. 2008 is realistic, even 2007. But i am being a bit too hopeful there....

I think we will at least see another 2-3 albums. Seems like they feel they've still got heaps to prove, dont kno why. But i guess we can't complain if it means more albums

I've written to Principle Management to make a booking, and I'll be expecting the boys to be doing a club tour of Melbourne in February.

See you all there! :wink:

The Edge said he didn't want to do any more big tours anymore because of family.

I am guessing the way Bono said good night to Melbourne at their last gig, it is the last time we will ever see U2 play in Australia again.

What a way to go out.

I think the New album will be out by October Next Year and Tour will start 2008.
I also think the next album will be very piano based.

My one request for the next album is to have a few more proper guitar solo's and maybe an instrumental song.

Bono in Melb said:
The Edge said he didn't want to do any more big tours anymore because of family.

I am guessing the way Bono said good night to Melbourne at their last gig, it is the last time we will ever see U2 play in Australia again.

What a way to go out.

I didn't know Edge had said this (although I should have guessed).

Call me an idiot, but I was so sure up until now that we'd see them again. I thought, after shows like that, they have to want to come back. But that was probably mostly wishful thinking on my part.

If this is true, then I'm doubly grateful I got to see them even twice in my life. And I have a nasty feeling I'll be forking out for overseas plane tickets for the next tour (if there is one). I also wish I'd managed to say something less idiotic and more heartfelt when I met Larry and Edge briefly. C'est la vie...

:( :(

Bono in Melb said:

What a way to go out.

I very much disagree. All through the Australian shows, at the end of the gigs, Bono was emphasising the "I know that this is not goodbye" line of Kite.

Now, I'm not going to proclaim that they WILL be back, but I think at this stage, they very much want to come back and will try their hardest on any subsequent tours.

Axver said:

I don't see how that logic holds. You might as well say "well, there was only a year between War and UF, so the next album will come out in 1985!" or "there were four years between Zooropa and Pop that included a soundtrack side project, so now that we've had the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack, U2's next album won't be out until 2001!"

In any case, HTDAAB was originally meant to come out in 2003 and it would have done so if the band had been happy with the Chris Thomas sessions.

I wasn't arguing that there MUST be four years between albums, merely suggesting that four years would not be an unreasonable prediction. With Bono's heavy activism commitments, Edge's desire for more family time (as mentioned in earlier posts related to touring), it seems like there's more likely to more rather than less space between albums.

But for me 2008 is not pessimistic at all. First off, what's the longest we've ever had to wait for a new U2 project? Four years at most right? And at my age (and I'm only in my thirties) time goes by so quick that 2008 feels like it's practically here already.

i'd have to say axver's guess is pretty much spot on with what i'd think... i'd be surprised if they did one more stadium leg this summer, which has been rumored... surprised, not stunned... but at this point i think they'll finish up this new album within 2007. considering that window in the skies was recorded so quickly with rubin, and it's being met with fairly decent critical and commercial success thus far (at least on certain radio formats), i can see them fully buying in to rubin and working at a fairly quick pace to get the album out by this time next year.

and as for the person who said edge doesn't want to do big tours anymore, please provide a source... one would think if he said that in a major publication there would be threads popping up all over the place here

The position U2 has put themselves with the Vertigo tour I would expect nothing but a HUGE world tour next go around. They found out on the Vertigo tour that we can do a huge stadium world tour and the next tour will be the "we will" do a HUGE stadium tour.

I'm guessing sometime in 2008. Bring on the biggest LCD screen ever :ohmy:

mandy1973 said:

And going by recent history, that means they'll be back in adelaide in 2019!!!! God...I'll be 45!!! AHHHHHH!!!!:wink:

And whats wrong with rockin at 45....if they can do it you...I do it even though I am not quite 45. :wink:

You can't bet your pay check that the next album won't be ready until 2008 and therefore the tour following that,either fall 2008 if the album is ready in the spring of that year(April May) or Spring 2009 if the album is ready for fall 2008..(October,November)

Axver said:

Your logic assumes they still are an up and coming band and work/rush in the studio to get an album out like they did back in 1983. So comparing how they record currently (IE the last 15 years) to 1983/1984 doesnt really make sense to me. We are talking in current terms how they work.

My guess as I have said before is Spring 2009. Because I dont think there will be a new album until Fall 2008. I just dont see them heading straight back into the studio when the tour is over. Certainly if they do then a tour in 2008 is feasible. In recent times (since 1987) they have always gone at least 2 years or more between tours. So maybe late summer/fall 2008 would work. But that would be the earliest I would predict. I just cant see them starting rehearsal, new staging, new album design, etc.. 1 year from now when they are still on the road currently.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom