When will U2 have there next world tour??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thatsnotmypuppy said:

Just to counter that, at this point all going to plan U2 would be 7 months into a vacation if they didn't have to postpone the tour - and as such, they could very well have pencilled in recording time for March/April 2007 - resulting in a late 2007 release. I wouldn't read too much into them being on tour right now as that wasnt originally part of their overall plan.

Just my two cents worth.

I'm not going to get into an argument over this again. But to counter your point. The tour was suppose to finish April 2006. Most of their recent tours have come with a 3 to 4 year gap in between each one. Given that, it still puts it in 2009. Its just my opinion and I'm just basing that on their most recent patterns and history. But they havent ended a tour and then started another one in a year since the very early days. They do have families and I'm sure they will take some vacation when this leg is over. They always have in the past.

Also, look at Willies most recent diary entry. If they were planning to hit the road again in a year and half he would already have something concrete he was designing and a date in mind. That entry says to me they havent started discussing when they will even tour again. :shrug:

I guess we will know next year at this time. Will be interesting to revisit this thread then.

Axver said:
Here's my optimistic prediction:

Late 2007: New album
Early 2008: Tour's 1st leg, North America
Mid 2008: Tour's 2nd leg, Europe
Late 2008: Tour's 3rd leg, North America
Early 2009: Tour's 4th leg, Latin America, Oceania, and Japan

For this prediction to be right, when do you think we would have to hear about U2 back in the studio with Rubin? For example, if Bono spent all of Jan-Mar 07 saving the world (and the cheerleader?) would that mean late 2007 is out for the album? Or do you think the "deadline" to be in the studio is later than that? Obviously being in the studio doesn't guarentee an album in 2007, but NOT being in studio guarantees it won't be out! So when is the latest they can go back to the studio and still get the album out in 2007?

I'm thinking the next tour isn't likely to be nearly as extensive as Vertigo was, South America might be as far as they venture this time.

But how about a summer 2008 outdoor leg for the US? They don't seem to want stadium shows in the US after Popmart didn't sellout a bunch of shows.

Blue Room said:

I'm not going to get into an argument over this again. But to counter your point. The tour was suppose to finish April 2006. Most of their recent tours have come with a 3 to 4 year gap in between each one. Given that, it still puts it in 2009. Its just my opinion and I'm just basing that on their most recent patterns and history. But they havent ended a tour and then started another one in a year since the very early days. They do have families and I'm sure they will take some vacation when this leg is over. They always have in the past.

Also, look at Willies most recent diary entry. If they were planning to hit the road again in a year and half he would already have something concrete he was designing and a date in mind. That entry says to me they havent started discussing when they will even tour again. :shrug:

I guess we will know next year at this time. Will be interesting to revisit this thread then.

True, but consider they had what...7/8 month break in between the last dates in S. America and now in Australia. I think the band had a time to relax from tour, and there's certainly a difference in coming from 100+ dates straight and the 12 or so dates they played now. Also, they have a producer that IMO won't be willing to spend the amount of time that ATYCLB and Bomb took.

I'm not saying they're hitting the studio, you know, Dec 10th, but I don't see why they couldn't reconvene in Abbey Road or Dublin in Jan 2007.

I think it's interesting that we heard - again - talk of Willie and U2 discussion on future touring (specifically next tour) on this leg, while this tour didn't even finish yet. :hmm:
First ideas on the (admiteddly rumoured) tour in 2008?

U2girl said:

True, but consider they had what...7/8 month break in between the last dates in S. America and now in Australia. I think the band had a time to relax from tour, and there's certainly a difference in coming from 100+ dates straight and the 12 or so dates they played now. Also, they have a producer that IMO won't be willing to spend the amount of time that ATYCLB and Bomb took.

I'm not saying they're hitting the studio, you know, Dec 10th, but I don't see why they couldn't reconvene in Abbey Road or Dublin in Jan 2007.

I think it's interesting that we heard - again - talk of Willie and U2 discussion on future touring (specifically next tour) on this leg, while this tour didn't even finish yet. :hmm:

I did consider that if you read my post. If you even go from the time the tour was originally suppose to end going with their typical patterns it still puts it to 2009. Also, during that layoff they really didnt do much of a vacation. Edge had family concerns and then they went into the studio again. After prior tours they typically took almost a full year off from pretty much doing anything.

Willie has those discussions with the band during every tour. Nothing unusual, I certainly dont think it is any indicator that another tour is imminent by any means. Like I explained in my post, his diary entry says quite the opposite to me. The plans would already be more advanced if they were planning to hit the road again in 14 months.

But I guess I have said enough. My opinion is there is no way the tour in 2008 (if they did, it would be fall 2008 at the absolute earliest). Its just my opinion and I have explained why I have come to that conclusion. I'm basing it on facts from their past, not rumors off internet fans sites that came third hand from an unknown crew member. If a tour happens in 2008, great. If it happens in 2009, great. I dont really care either way. It is just surprising to me how everyone is so confident it will happen based on little to no information when it flies in the face of what U2 have been doing in this regard for the last 15 years. Apparantly its just me though. :shrug: :)

Last edited:
U2girl said:

I remember a set of first ideas and drawings of the POPMART stage date back to 1994/1995, so 2-3 years before the actual tour.. It's normal for Willie Williams and the band to discuss ideas and brainwaves.. I wouldn't jump to conclusions too soon...
2009 is where I'm counting on for a new tour and if it comes earlier I would be very happy..

Not being on tour or recording = vacation for them IMO.
(not counting Edge's issues of course)

And they did some time in the studio in summer/September this year, so it's not like they have nothing to work on. Rubin/McGuiness said they have 4 songs (assuming Saints and WITS included) in September, and Edge said 5 or 6 songs in the latest Q magazine, and I'd believe that over what Sam O Sullivan said.

My impression was Willie's-U2 discussion on a tour usually starts when they finalise an album, not sooner. Just think it's interesting they're discussing "next tour" as Willie says, when Vertigo didn't even finish yet.

Atu2.com is fairly reliable, and this was not just some second hand fan rumour but a crew member. :shrug:
I don't think anyone is saying "omc 111! there is a tour in 2008!" but I don't think we can exclude the possibility of it happening when we don't know how the album is/will be going in 2007.

powerhour24 said:
I'm thinking the next tour isn't likely to be nearly as extensive as Vertigo was, South America might be as far as they venture this time.

Yeah, thats why they've been saying they'll be back.

I'd think a US stadium leg would increase the chances of them playing an extended tour outside of the US.

U2girl said:
Not being on tour or recording = vacation for them IMO.
(not counting Edge's issues of course)

And they did some time in the studio in summer/September this year, so it's not like they have nothing to work on. Rubin/McGuiness said they have 4 songs (assuming Saints and WITS included) in September, and Edge said 5 or 6 songs in the latest Q magazine, and I'd believe that over what Sam O Sullivan said.

My impression was Willie's-U2 discussion on a tour usually starts when they finalise an album, not sooner. Just think it's interesting they're discussing "next tour" as Willie says, when Vertigo didn't even finish yet.

Atu2.com is fairly reliable, and this was not just some second hand fan rumour but a crew member. :shrug:
I don't think anyone is saying "omc 111! there is a tour in 2008!" but I don't think we can exclude the possibility of it happening when we don't know how the album is/will be going in 2007.

Who is the crew member @U2 is referring to and when was this said that they would tour in 2008? Even this sounds like its third hand information and details can get distorted, misunderstood, or changed completely when it goes through that many people. But I'm curious who said it. If there is no name, isnt that exactly what I said I wouldnt trust about it? Third hand from an unknown crew member? WOW, that IS rock solid! So I dont get your point there.

Willie is always discussing new ideas with the band throughout every tour. Where did you get the impression of something else? He even said in the S. American entry from earlier this year he was bringing it up to the band just because touring is fresh on their minds currently and that was the only reason. I remember reading his Popmart Diary where he talked about wanting to do a 3D screen for the next tour and was discussing it with the band. The technology (especially anything new) he starts working well before the album is finished. The theme of the tour happens as the album is taking shape, but not after its done.

My view is, if its not official (IE an interview in a reputable publication, U2.com, etc. ) and its coming 2nd or 3rd hand. Take it with a grain of salt. Especially when it flies in the face of what U2 have done previously. Like I said, we need to link this thread next year. I would be happy to eat crow if the unlikely happens. But I'm willing to bet if it doesnt happen those of you that are so confident now will say you never said it OR will be bitching that U2 are bastards because there is no new album or tour. :shrug: You know its going to happen. Because the speculation and rumor becomes fact on the internet after a month or so.

Ok, I'm done this time. I'm sure U2girl will disagree with everything I say again. If its me or Chizip that post, you can guarantee there will be a dissenting view regardless of what is said. :wink: and thats fine, it is going to be funny next year at this time either way.

So you're saying they're making this up just because they didn't give the specific name of the crew member? (source is the last Off the record column on that site)
Believe what you want. It may not be official but that doesn't mean the site or the mentioned crew member is full of it.

I got that impression from reading interviews, where they said the theme of the tour gets into focus along with the theme of the album. (For example, Edge saying they went into arenas on Elevation because the music on ATYCLB dictated it. Or how the music on AB spawned Zoo TV stage setup from reading Bill Flanagan's book.) Obviously album needs to be finalised (final stages, not necessarily finished) for that to happen.

I think that 3+ year album wait is more likely than 4 based on their history; Pop was supposed to be out in 1996 and Bomb (the one time we waited 4 years) in 2003. I certainly don't think at this point any release option is that far fetched or crazy not to even talk about. Unless some people have psychic powers...

I won't be saying U2 are bastards if there won't be a new album in 2007. But I'm sure some people will be all "I told you so!" if there is no album in 2007. :laugh:

I read a post elsewhere from someone who'd been chatting to Larry's drum tech while they were here in Oz and (FWIW) according to him a new album is 'at least 12 months away'.

But who really knows.

They have some songs under the belt.... Rubin seems to work fairly quick... so if U2 were to head back into the studio then there is no reason why there shouldn't be a new album out in November 07.
The bad news is that if that doesnt happen... we probably wont see a new studio album until nov 08... which of course means a tour starting in March 09 stateside.
Hopefully the next tour will have more dates outside of North America and Western Europe.

If i were making a prediction, i would say U2 tours next in March 2008...

I don't think we'll see them until 2009.

6 months off and then it will be promo work for the IMAX film and the Popmart DVD in time for Xmas 2007. Who knows - we may even see a Joshua Tree 20th anniversary release.

Blue Room said:

Your logic assumes they still are an up and coming band and work/rush in the studio to get an album out like they did back in 1983. So comparing how they record currently (IE the last 15 years) to 1983/1984 doesnt really make sense to me. We are talking in current terms how they work.

My guess as I have said before is Spring 2009. Because I dont think there will be a new album until Fall 2008. I just dont see them heading straight back into the studio when the tour is over. Certainly if they do then a tour in 2008 is feasible. In recent times (since 1987) they have always gone at least 2 years or more between tours. So maybe late summer/fall 2008 would work. But that would be the earliest I would predict. I just cant see them starting rehearsal, new staging, new album design, etc.. 1 year from now when they are still on the road currently.

I totally agree. March 2008 is only 15 months away. I cannot see them in between now and then writing and recording a new album, designing the tour, etc. Technically they could probably pull it off, but they obviously do not feel the rush or the need to move that quickly. Plus the extra year will give them more time in Dublin with their families.

If they had finished the tour back in April of this year, I think it would have been more of a possibility, but now, I think they will try to repeat the BOMB formula which worked so well in 2004 with a November release around Thanksgiving in 2008 and a tour that starts in the Spring of 2009 and will go into the Spring of 2010. Perfect way to finish off the decade.

Well, if what Paul McGuinness says is true in this article, those claiming the band will be back on the road at the start of 2008 are correct.

U2 Wraps Vertigo Tour With Honolulu Blowout

December 10, 2006, 2:00 PM PT

Jonathan Cohen, Honolulu
U2 wrapped its box-office busting Vertigo tour last night (Dec. 9) in front of a packed house at Honolulu’s Aloha Stadium with a show that featured guest turns from members of opening act Pearl Jam as well as Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong. Several members of the audience were pulled onto the stage as well, including one lucky man who got to play piano with the band during “Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses."

The 24-song set began as usual with “City of Blinding Lights,” from the group’s 2004 album “How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb,” as Bono ran the gamut of the heart-shaped stage extension waving the American flag. Other early set highlights included “I Will Follow,” “Angel of Harlem” and “Sunday Bloody Sunday,” during which a little girl sat with Bono atop the stage monitors.

U2 guitarist the Edge was saluted on a number of occasions, with Bono crediting his “grace under pressure, faith and perseverance.” Although no formal announcement was ever made, it is understood U2 postponed several Vertigo dates from spring to this fall while a member of the Edge’s immediate family underwent treatment for a life-threatening disease.

The main set wound down with a trio of smash hits: “(Pride) In the Name of Love,” “Where the Streets Have No Name” and “One,” with fans encouraged to hold their cell phone aloft during the latter as a show of solidarity for the Make Poverty History campaign.

Armstrong was a surprise guest for a cover of Scottish punk band the Skis’ “The Saints Are Coming,” which U2 and Green Day recorded as a charity single for the Music Rising initiative. Armstrong had only performed the track live with the band once before.

Afterward, Pearl Jam’s Eddie Vedder and Mike McCready joined U2 for Neil Young’s “Rockin’ in the Free World,” which they debuted, with new lyrics, last month during an anti-poverty benefit in Australia. The show closed with a subdued rendering of “All I Want Is You,” as drummer Larry Mullen Jr. sent the crowd home with a smile: “See you soon.”

Soon will likely be in 2008, U2 manager Paul McGuinness tells Billboard.com. U2 will first regroup in the studio, with an eye on releasing its next album by late 2007. And although final numbers are not yet in, the Vertigo tour is already the second-highest grossing trek of all time behind the Rolling Stones’ A Bigger Bang, with its total expected to exceed $377 million.

In a rare opening slot, Pearl Jam charged through a 13-song set heavy on favorites like “Corduroy,” “Better Man,” “Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town,” “Even Flow” and “Alive.” The Seattle band wrapped its performance with a cover of the Who’s “Baba O’Riley” that worked the crowd into a frenzy.

A number of Hollywood celebrities were on hand for the show, including Jeremy Piven, Mira Sorvino and Alyssa Milano.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003495346

:hmm: I guess McGuiness is full of it, too. As is Larry with his "see you soon" comment.

I'm re-posting what I wrote for a differerent thread:

The original plan for the Atomic Bomb album and what became the Vertigo tour was to have been releasing the album and starting the tour almost simultaneously in March-April 2004 (per a conversation I had with John Sampson in November 2002 while he was on the Stones tour). Had this happened, the layoff between between the end of the Elevation tour and the beginning of the Vertigo tour would have been just over 2 1/4 years. They were on target for this schedule when they "finished" recording the album around October 2003. The problem occured when Larry and Adam vetoed the album and as a result, the album got pushed back about 8 months and the tour got pushed back a full year.

They are now in a similar position to last time. The band did recording off and on from December 2001 until mid 2002 and ended up releasing 2 of those songs on the Best Of 1990-2000. They then took a lot of those msuical ideas and really seriously worked on the album for around 6 months in 2003 with the intent to have a fully completed album by the end of that year.

This time around, they are known to have gone into the studio in June to work on ideas and again in September with 2 songs released from those sessions. The band could go back into the studio in January or February and if happy with the results by August, could have the new album out by November. They would be working with about the same amount of time that they had in 2003, so if end up being happy with their 6 months of work, it's realistic they could have that 2007 album and be ready for a tour to kick off in March or April 2008. By that time, U2 will have been off the road, other than the 5 weeks of shows in November and December of this year, for around 2 years. That's almost as long as the time between the end of the Elevation tour and the original planned beginning for the Vertigo tour, so I don't think that they will feel that spring 2008 is too early to start up again.

Remember that their were rumors that U2 would play selected US stadium dates this past June and perhaps they did not go through with those plans because they felt they would over saturate markets. If they're serious about touring again in 2008, they probably felt it would be better to hold off on the 2006 continental US stadium shows and just wait for the demand to increase by returning in 2008.

I think it's all realistic as long as they come up with an album that they are happy with by August of next year. Just because 1/2 the band was not fully happy with the music by late 2003 does not mean that is going to happen again in 2007. It seems that U2 only wants to begin tours in the spring of a year, so if they don't feel they have a solid album by fall 2007, then we may not see another tour until spring 2009.

Back
Top Bottom