When do they cut off scanning for the eclipse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I see what you're saying, but at all the shows I've been to so far, the ellipse has been like half full when the opening band starts, so I don't know how it could be full enough for them to stop scanning at 7:30. Do the rest get wristbands from the guys at the back? Now I'm interested b/c I have a GA fro Oct. 24, I'm going alone, and I can't get there until right before it starts...

You have to remember that the ellipse wristband lets you roam freely until the show starts. You don't have to hold your rail spot. Many ellipsers may be having a drink or just hanging out until the show starts.

I've heard or wristbands being handed out by the entrance to the ellipse along the rail and in the back as well.

Statistically speaking it's impossible for the last person arriving to have the same chance of getting into the ellipse as everyone who's already inside.

u2.com, as always, is inept.

what they state on their webpage isn't possiable to enforce.

they can't really wait until everyone shows up, because what if :shocked: someone doesn't show for their GA ticket? but if, in theory, every single person does show up, wouldn't that mean that the very last person to scan always get into the ellipse? or are they just keeping the scanners open for show at that point, when the reality is there really is no chance.

Chizip said:

and you're saying i should give up my spot along the rail for the slim chance i could get a wristband from someone giving them out to people at the back of the floor? thats not "working the system," thats being stupid.

Actually, I did that exactly at one show and it paid off.

I actually really hate the rail on the sides (where it's more elevated). Additionally, my friend and I were surrounded by pushing, obnoxious, screeching Bono girls, about 8 or them who were intent on getting on stage if they had to trample us.

So we left the rail. You have to understand, it's a big gamble - you win big or you lose big in most cases. For me, it doesn't matter because I love being next to the soundboard anyway.

But right during Vertigo, Alison (is that her name?) came and gave us wristbands anyway. She seemed to be picking people who were most rambunctious as she told the women we were dancing with that "you guys seem to be having so much fun, would you like to go in the elipse?"

Yeah, I got a wristband at Chicago III from a tour guy near the soundboard about five minutes before U2 came on.

Didn't see anyone doing that in September, though...

Chizip said:
I got fucked out of a chance to get into the ellipse in Chicago Wednesday because the laptop froze and they said just to go to the floor. The lottery policy causes more problems than it solves, and they're handling of it has been terrible.

I think I was near you in the same line! I saw so angry-it appeared to be frozen for us and held up our line for a few precious moments!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Don't believe the hype about wristbands being handed out near the soundboard! I hung out back there hoping for this after hearing about it and only saw 2 girls get them. When I asked the person giving them out if I could have one, he said "no''!:mad:

tawanda said:
Don't believe the hype about wristbands being handed out near the soundboard! I hung out back there hoping for this after hearing about it and only saw 2 girls get them. When I asked the person giving them out if I could have one, he said "no''!:mad:

What show was that for? Because they did it for all four shows in Toronto...

i had friends who could not get wristbands in toronto at the soundboard. i got lucky in chicago. allison (the blonde woman from clear channel) seems much quicker to hand out wristbands to male fans...I've seen that happen over and over. :mad:

When Alison was giving out wristbands in Toronto on a couple of nights, she was a bit further into the crowd than the soundboard. And I got mine together with 4 other girls, so I can't really say I saw her prefering men.

anitram said:
When Alison was giving out wristbands in Toronto on a couple of nights, she was a bit further into the crowd than the soundboard. And I got mine together with 4 other girls, so I can't really say I saw her prefering men.

i'm glad to hear some contrary evidence...she recently physically shoved a couple of fans at a show when the scanner was frozen up and the fans weren't moving to the floor right away, and her behavior towards women is quite different. Glad she didn't overlook you.

she has specifically helped 3 male friends of mine repeatedly while specifically denying many of my female friends. i've had my own hallmark moments as well, which i will refrain from going into...however, i and many i know shrugged a lot of it off as coincidence on the first leg....but now on this leg for reasons left unsaid we don't think it to be a matter of chance (or lottery) so much anymore.

just my opinion....:eyebrow:

Hmmm oh yeah, this all sounds exactly the way things should be done..people having to hope to be given wristbands at the back of the arena...where is that rule written in U2's "fair lottery policy"??? :rolleyes: Nevermind further "unfairness" when the person with the wristbands is possibly being discriminatory. --- Oh yeah but people lining up early because they can, now that's unfair! ???

Despite my feelings, I know that there is NO easy answer here, no way is truely "fair" but this half-assed lottery system and then wristbands possibly at the back of the arena is really bullshit. Give us all the same chance, FINE (although why people who can and will line up are punished I'll never understand - it's the price of buying a GA ticket!) but this lottery system doesn't even give everyone the same chance.

//disclaimer I feel I have to write around here: I'm still and always be grateful even to get in the arena. A few grievances with policy does not equal utter resentment for U2.

oliveu2cm said:
Hmmm oh yeah, this all sounds exactly the way things should be done..people having to hope to be given wristbands at the back of the arena...where is that rule written in U2's "fair lottery policy"??? :rolleyes: Nevermind further "unfairness" when the person with the wristbands is possibly being discriminatory. --- Oh yeah but people lining up early because they can, now that's unfair! ???

Despite my feelings, I know that there is NO easy answer here, no way is truely "fair" but this half-assed lottery system and then wristbands possibly at the back of the arena is really bullshit. Give us all the same chance, FINE (although why people who can and will line up are punished I'll never understand - it's the price of buying a GA ticket!) but this lottery system doesn't even give everyone the same chance.

//disclaimer I feel I have to write around here: I'm still and always be grateful even to get in the arena. A few grievances with policy does not equal utter resentment for U2.

I agree its not fair. There are ways to end the lottery is to make everyone ( I doubt a majority of GA ticket holders for a show would do that) with a General Admission ticket boycott going on the floor. That would spart new interest and possibly the media would get involved.:wink:

The other way will not disclose. Too risky.

So they would play to an empty floor accept for the people that crossed the picket line?:wink:

cbradfly1 said:
So they would play to an empty floor accept for the people that crossed the picket line?:wink:

more like to 2,499 fans on the floor and super fan outside

So, check this out!

I went to the ETS pre-show party and they announce they are giving away 6 wristbands to the elipse!!! (milwaukee) They end up giving away 4. So I ask about the last 2. They say there aren't any more! I'm angry because I'm betting some big-titted blonde got them...

Come to find out after the show, they were the WRONG wristbands! They were for the floor NOT the elipse! Then last night I find out the ETS guy who scammed us with the wrong wristbands was seen giving out a pair of the RIGHT wristbands to a of BIMBOS at the show!!!

:mad:

Actually, I'm relieved I didn't win the wrong wristbands! I'd be hysterical with anger and frustration.

tawanda said:
So, check this out!

I went to the ETS pre-show party and they announce they are giving away 6 wristbands to the elipse!!! (milwaukee) They end up giving away 4. So I ask about the last 2. They say there aren't any more! I'm angry because I'm betting some big-titted blonde got them...

Come to find out after the show, they were the WRONG wristbands! They were for the floor NOT the elipse! Then last night I find out the ETS guy who scammed us with the wrong wristbands was seen giving out a pair of the RIGHT wristbands to a of BIMBOS at the show!!!

Actually, I'm relieved I didn't win the wrong wristbands! I'd be hysterical with anger and frustration.
[/
QUOTE]

Figures. Are they "giving" ellipse bands away at all ETS parties? I have an ETS package for NYC in November.

there were some ETS ticketholders at one of the shows in Toronto, on the rail outside the ellipse. One of the dumb ass venue security guards saw the ETS wristband (that gets you into the party) and said, "hey, you can get into the ellipse with that" so they left their spot on the rail to get into the ellipse, didn't get in, of course--and ended up at the back of the floor. Is that depressing or what?

And I totally agree that lottery for the ellipse plus the possibility of getting in by standing at the back is just totally screwed up.

cbradfly1 said:
tawanda said:
So, check this out!

[/
QUOTE]

Figures. Are they "giving" ellipse bands away at all ETS parties? I have an ETS package for NYC in November.

so, i have ets for dc 2...do you know if they always have a contest to win wristbands into the ellipse at the ets parties???!!!??? i was gonna get my tix and blow outta there cuz i'll need to get back to the ga line asap, but now i may have to stick around....:scratch:

popbellydancer said:

so, i have ets for dc 2...do you know if they always have a contest to win wristbands into the ellipse at the ets parties???!!!??? i was gonna get my tix and blow outta there cuz i'll need to get back to the ga line asap, but now i may have to stick around....:scratch:

i've never heard of anything like this, but I don't buy ETS very often...

For those questions about ETS parties giving out wristbands to the elipse at the PARTY...did you see the rest of my post?

They were the WRONG ones! And they didn't give out the 6 they say they had...only 4...

Let us know if you go to the ETS party and it happens for ya!

I also have the ETS party package for DC night 1. Only bought it cause the GA price was reasonable...but, I don't plan on going to the party.

I couldn't tell you what thread, but I did see where someone posted that at one of the MSG concerts someone went in at 9pm with GA and won the Vertigo scan.

Back
Top Bottom