When actually will U2 make a gratis concert in Africa?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babyman

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
i was thinking about this last night. i mean, we know how much they care for africa and africans, why don't they do a gratis event in black Africa?? Kenya, Nigeria, Camerun...............just once a time, bring the vertigo tour down in Africa!!

Well, they've already played in South Africa. Two shows on Popmart.

U2FanPeter said:
Bono has sung in Africa several times.

Mandella events and so forth

u2fp

i mean a concert, a really u2 concert like the americans and europeans concerts. the whole band.........................it's quite different as a mandela event or a simple visit

Bono and Edge performed an exclusive song at some party thing at a festival concert in 2003(?)

Why exactly does Africa NEED a U2 concert?

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
Bono and Edge performed an exclusive song at some party thing at a festival concert in 2003(?)

Why exactly does Africa NEED a U2 concert?

u2fp

what means "why"? wouldn't it be worth to make a concert in africa and for the africans? no band goes there (except of southafrica, but you know it isn't the poor africa) U2 are claiming the matters of africa, it would be appropriate to make 2-3 gigs there. i'm talking of nations like senegal, nigeria, camerun, kenya, somalia and so on. just a time, just a present for them from the band

If they cross the equator, the Vertigo circles will have to go counter-clockwise!!!!

I would imagine that security would needed. Plus a major international airport.

u2fp

timothius said:
Yeah, South Africa isn't poor Africa, all 64 million citizens live in complete luxury. :up:

:rolleyes:

who ever said they live in complete luxury? you're saying it. southafrica isn't poor like black africa. in fact the football worldchampionship will be played there in 2010.................figure it out, a poor nation to organize such a huge competition................

Perhaps after the 4th leg of the Popmart tour they realized having the pride to play every corner of the globe wasnot economical.

It's also one of the downsides of only being able to perform full concerts on their elaborate stages.

I think BB king may have extensively toured Africa. I only know he has played in 90 different countries, whereas u2 is likely still in the 25-30 range.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
Perhaps after the 4th leg of the Popmart tour they realized having the pride to play every corner of the globe wasnot economical.

It's also one of the downsides of only being able to perform full concerts on their elaborate stages.

u2fp

it would be an event, not necessarly one of the concerts of a mega tour like popmart or vertigo. it's about organization, maybe in a year they would do it. u2 would have enough money to organize it themselves.....................
we all know that u2 concerts aren't economical, that's why i suggest a big gratis event................i would work hard for it if i would be bono. it would be not only about charity

There are a lot of security reasons for why you cant bring Vertigo to Africa...

South Africa would maybe be the only place it would be relatively safe...

Why SHOULD they do concerts in Africa? It doesn't make any sense....do you have any reasons? Raising awareness and working with other charities/non-profits is one thing, but Africa does not need U2; Africa needs basic necessities like food, water, shelter, and clothing. U2 concerts don't accomplish this on any level. Just because they don't play there doesn't mean they're not genuine. I'm really concerned for AIDS orphans, but does that mean I should just drop what I'm doing and adopt them all just because I can? No, that doesn't solve anything. Not to mention that the poor people you're referring to don't even listen to U2 and honestly would not have time to take out of their day to just drop everything and go to some rock concert. These are people that have to walk miles and miles back and forth each day just for water. They have so much to do each day just to stay alive, even the kids as young as three years old are out shepherding the cattle. If you've ever been to Africa and experienced what life is like for the poor and HIV+, even for just a few hours, you'd see how rediculous it would be to think U2 concerts in third world Africa would make any kind of difference.

babyman said:

who ever said they live in complete luxury? you're saying it. southafrica isn't poor like black africa. in fact the football worldchampionship will be played there in 2010.................figure it out, a poor nation to organize such a huge competition................

Info from www.nationmaster.com

These are the percentage of people below the poverty line...

7. Tunisia 7.6% (2001 est.)
23. Morocco 19% (1999 est.)
35. Algeria 23% (1999 est.)
56. Ghana 31.4% (1992 est.)
57. Grenada 32% (2000)
59. Togo 32% (1989 est.)
61. Benin 33% (2001 est.)
62. Uganda 35% (2001 est.)
63. Tanzania 36% (2002 est.)
67. Cote d'Ivoire 37% (1995)
74. Guinea 40% (2003 est.)
75. Mauritania 40% (2004 est.)
76. Sudan 40% (2004 est.)
83. Burkina Faso 45% (2003 est.)
88. Botswana 47% (2002 est.)
89. Cameroon 48% (2000 est.)
91. Lesotho 49% (1999)
93. South Africa 50% (2000 est.)
94. Kenya 50% (2000 est.)
95. Madagascar 50% (2004 est.)
97. Namibia 50% (2002 est.)
98. Ethiopia 50% (2004 est.)
99. Eritrea 50% (2004 est.)
100. Djibouti 50% (2001 est.)
104. Senegal 54% (2001 est.)
106. Sao Tome and Principe 54% (2004 est.)
108. Malawi 55% (2004 est.)
111. Rwanda 60% (2001 est.)
113. Comoros 60% (2002 est.)
114. Nigeria 60% (2000 est.)
115. Niger 63% (1993 est.)
116. Mali 64% average; 30% of the total population living in urban areas; 70% of the total population living in rural areas) (2001 est.)
118. Burundi 68% (2002 est.)
119. Sierra Leone 68% (1989 est.)
120. Angola 70% (2003 est.)
121. Mozambique 70% (2001 est.)
122. Zimbabwe 70% (2002 est.)
123. Suriname 70% (2002 est.)
124. Guatemala 75% (2004 est.)
125. Liberia 80%
127. Chad 80% (2001 est.)
128. Moldova 80% (2001 est.)
130. Zambia 86% (1993)

South Africa is equal 24/43. :shrug:

Tell me if you need me to elaborate or not.

whats this thread about...so because bono is rasing awareness for africa's PROBLEMS they have to play there? I think U2 not playing in africa is not in the top 10 of problems africa is facing (might be one of the top 10 problems in some european/american/canadian/australian or new zealandian cities though...)

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Why SHOULD they do concerts in Africa? It doesn't make any sense....do you have any reasons? Raising awareness and working with other charities/non-profits is one thing, but Africa does not need U2; Africa needs basic necessities like food, water, shelter, and clothing. U2 concerts don't accomplish this on any level. Just because they don't play there doesn't mean they're not genuine. I'm really concerned for AIDS orphans, but does that mean I should just drop what I'm doing and adopt them all just because I can? No, that doesn't solve anything. Not to mention that the poor people you're referring to don't even listen to U2 and honestly would not have time to take out of their day to just drop everything and go to some rock concert. These are people that have to walk miles and miles back and forth each day just for water. They have so much to do each day just to stay alive, even the kids as young as three years old are out shepherding the cattle. If you've ever been to Africa and experienced what life is like for the poor and HIV+, even for just a few hours, you'd see how rediculous it would be to think U2 concerts in third world Africa would make any kind of difference.

i wasn't talking about solving problems, a rock show remains a rock show. all the things you're listing are unfortunately no novelties, and will remain the same for who knows many years. of course a u2 show isn't an immediate thing that african need. anyway, i wasn't referring to the dying people "living" in the smallest villages to attend a concert, this would have no sense. i was referring to cities, capitals specifically, where people have a "better" niveau. i mean, there are people who have a very little little bit more luck than the extreme poor ones. it's not regarding charity or false genuinity or selfish advice. i repeat, it mustn't be or sound like an improbable attempt to change anything. why or how should a concert change a thing???? or solve poverty??? it could be about feelings, giving a little piece of heart. for u2, it would have a sense valueing their high engagement. what would matter if they' d go to dakar, for example, (or any other capital) and play a gig in front of 5-6-7.000 persons? even when the majority would neither know where u2 come from, that would count nothing........

timothius said:

Info from www.nationmaster.com

93. South Africa 50% (2000 est.)

South Africa is equal 24/43. :shrug:

Tell me if you need me to elaborate or not.

do white people belong to that per cent? how many interests have the multinationals in southafrica? the same like in burundi? how much money bring multinationals to the southafrican government? just a few questions

Last edited:
I agree with babyman in the sense that U2 should do a show or two in Africa. It's kind of a shame that a world tour doesn't really cover the world. Austrailia, Japan, Africa, did they go to South America? yet North America gets two legs. I'm glad they're coming back again becasue I have tickets for New York and Portland but still it does kind of slight the other fans around the world. If it's a money issue with transporting the gear everywhere I'm sure the fans in the over looked countries would have no problem with a more stripped down basic stage set up. really it's about the music not the effects. Though the effects are nice.

While those poverty line facts are a very interesting read...

I'm sure some of the countries U2 has performed have some comparable stats. South America, Eastern Europe and even a couple States in the US.

While in Sarajevo in 1997, Bono said that a full gig would be a way for the city to feel like it belongs to the rest of society. Is the same true for Africa?

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
While those poverty line facts are a very interesting read...

I'm sure some of the countries U2 has performed have some comparable stats. South America, Eastern Europe and even a couple States in the US.

While in Sarajevo in 1997, Bono said that a full gig would be a way for the city to feel like it belongs to the rest of society. Is the same true for Africa?

u2fp

that's exactly what i mean.....................................it wouldn't be that odd in the end..................

Is there enough interest for a u2 show?

Out of curiosity, what was the racial breakdown on the 1998 Jo-Berg popmart shows? I know there's footage floating around of one of them.

u2fp

babyman said:

how much interest have U2 for africa?.........................

At 80 quid a head.....

(I ask only for the sake of discussion, any U2 gig there should be a charity/donation only/free gig open to the full public)

u2fp

Back
Top Bottom