When actually will U2 make a gratis concert in Africa?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Halup said:

By my count U2 have played in exactly 30 countries, counting the UK as 1 country:

Europe: Ireland, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Netherlands, Belgium, France, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Greece

Africa: South Africa

Asia: Japan, Israel

Australia, New Zealand

North America: Canada, United States of America, Mexico

South America: Chile, Argentina, Brazil

I just checked Pearl Jam's touring history, and they've played every country us has except: Greece, Bosnia-Herze and South Africa.

Additional countries Pearl Jam has visited: Taiwan,Philipines, Thailand, Singapore, Turkey and Slovenia

I don't know about U2 playing Holland, Hawaii.

Does Luxenborg hold concerts?

u2fp

Last edited:
gabrielvox said:
Utoo some points to ponder...

I think RnH was a movie that the critics were just waiting to pick on U2 about...

But I wonder if the whole iPod thing was because of the fact that simply dumping the loot on Africa doesn't solve the problem.

I dont see the concert idea in the same light...its a project that gets Africans involved, much as Ali's Edun line does on a smaller scale. I think there is a psychological component too, where western artists can send a real message that not only do they care, but they believe that Africans deserve to enjoy the same music we do, even if they can't afford to wholly subsidize it yet.

I dont know, Im just dreaming aloud...at this point Im not sure U2 really needs to worry alot about image...I know they still do...but they are always either getting royally roasted or acclaimed...

Good points. I definitely agree that the key is true development/growth on the model of Edun and other programs like it, and that's certainly why dumping the money potentially available from the iPod deal wouldn't fix anything. I just wonder how much a single concert or a few concerts can financially help an area. When we talk of "spin-offs," etc., it's often when we're talking about building a new stadium for a new sports team or something. A project like that would create jobs that would be sustained for as long as the team is around or events are held at the arena. A concert or short string of concerts could do the same--but only if a venue is built or will be continued to be used for a long time into the future will any real sustainable jobs & financial impact be felt. It's really in the creation of construction jobs and jobs for people to maintain and work at the venue that such projects have a positive financial impact on a community---and even then, only after several years once the initial burden of undertaking such a project has been lifted. A single concert would provide temporary jobs for a very brief time, but wouldn't really work like Edun, which is planned to be much more long-term.

The real benefit, as you've mentioned, will be the psychological impact that such an event would have...showing that there are people who care, etc. But without a tie-in with a more grounded benefit, I don't know how long such a psychological benefit would last, nor how far it would carry.

Basically, I think your idea is a very good one. However, to put it in place and to really have the impact that we'd all like to see is very complex & complicated, and I think it'd require more than just a show. :hmm:

Yep, I agree....I was hoping more that U2 would stage a series of them, like say in 6 cities...

If enough other artists followed suit, it could turn out that 6 cities could have a concert once every week or two weeks...not U2, but a whole range of artists..

That would create jobs that would last, wouldn't it?

And then in the following years, the facilities etc that were built would attract things like organized sports teams (this is huge becuase eventually it trickles down to leagues for youths etc), sponsorships, more concerts, theater, conventions, etc..these are the things that a vibrant progressive culture thrives on...

Basically Im saying no, a single U2 concert could not help. But the snowball effect of having a band of U2's stature put it out there and challenge fellow artists to follow them around, I think would be quite significant..

Back
Top Bottom