Whats wrong with Vertigo??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gvox

Ghost of Love
Believe me, Vertigo is far from being my favorite U2 song, but I don't understand why they aren't opening with it. Of any song on the album I think it's a great energetic start...and it wouldnt be too hard to make up some type of intro track

...plus...isn't this the Vertigo tour??

Otherwise I really dig how they are experimenting with the song ordering...and the oldies of course ;)

I like the Fly - its really spicy..

Zoo Station? Sorry, it didnt work any of the 3 nights I heard it, it really really is weak. Drop it, and fast.

Now....for something Im really having a hard time with....Bullet the Blue Sky - Im sorry....but that solo has got to go. Edge, please just assault us. If you wanna play the blues, play When Love Comes To Town or something...leave Bullet the way it was, PERFECT as of the Elevation tour.

Just my armchair comments after listening to the first 3 shows...

of course thats your opinion, i think this version of bullet has brought it back to life, and also am VERY happy to see Zoo Station back, but of course thats just my opinion

I loved the Zoo Station version. And The Fly is maybe the best version I've ever heard of it. I'm also surprised that Vertigo is not the opener. But I really liked Love And Peace Or Else as an opener.

Im sorry, there is nothing alive about that BTBS.

It is hands down the poorest I've ever heard U2 play the song, and not just because of the new solo, and that's across the last 5 tours. If you can name a worse one, I'd like to hear about it.

Zoo Station sounds great.
The Fly sounds great in a weird way.
Bullet misses the guitar echo.

i felt they were just going through the motions will the elevation version, and now they have tried to spice it up, granted not everyone will like it, but i do, you dont, what can we do about it

gabrielvox said:
Believe me, Vertigo is far from being my favorite U2 song, but I don't understand why they aren't opening with it. Of any song on the album I think it's a great energetic start...and it wouldnt be too hard to make up some type of intro track

...plus...isn't this the Vertigo tour??

Prior to the tour I thought they would absolutely open with Vertigo..... I would have bet money on it. But I'm glad they aren't opening with it. It would be too much like opening with Elevation, in my opinion. I'm glad they went another way.

kakvox said:
LAPOE best opener for this tour.:drool:
lets face it, if its got so many different types of fans debating, then its gonna be one hell of a tour

I'm sure you'll see Vertigo open at some point. Perhaps in Chicago, where they have 4 dates. As for BTBS, I'm really enjoying the new version. The solo isn't as "in your face", but I think it gives the song a lot of personality, and makes it feel really fresh. However, I'm sure that's another thing that will get changed up.

The nice part about this tour (thus far anyway) is if you don't like something, wait a few days, and it'll be entirely different.

I HATE the Pop Mexico version of BTBS. But I haven't heard any boots from this tour yet, so I'm not one to judge.

As for LAPOE, I'm loving the thought of that as the opener. But I'll wait to pass judgement...

gabrielvox said:
Im sorry, there is nothing alive about that BTBS.

It is hands down the poorest I've ever heard U2 play the song, and not just because of the new solo, and that's across the last 5 tours. If you can name a worse one, I'd like to hear about it.

I think it has a new lease of life. I thought Elevation version was a LOT worse.

Definetly agree about BTBS, it wouldn't sound so bad if we didn't have the old solo to remember. Its great that they are experimenting with old songs but it just falls a bit flat in my opinion. The perfect version was during ZOO TV (THAT astonishing solo) and although its never been as agressive or extreme since then it has always seemed to work but this new one is just a bit too limp, its as if The Edge isn't up to playing anything as technical as that anymore (although i'm sure thats not the whole case). Nonetheless the song has to stay in the setlist no matter what just so we can hear Running to Stand Still after it. Another complaint though (sorry!!!) - I think RTSS sounds much better after the original agressive ending rather then the new more mellow alternative. It also loses some of its impact with The Edge taking of some of the vocals (obviously just my opinion though - what does everyone else think about this?)

Also I miss the Elevation version of 'The Fly' (alongside the ZOO TV era Mysterious Ways the single greatest live recreation of a song - bar Streets of course!) but its a great song in whatever form, i just wish the B man would put more soul into the opening verses, i do like the new vocal delivery of the chorus though.

Last edited:
Notes:

BTBS - I like it...it is a far more reflective version and quite polished IMO.

RTSS - good, but NOTHING will top the ZOOTV version.

Zoo Station - Bono should just sing the real words...he is ruining the song IMO...again not as good as numerous zootv versions i've heard.

The Fly - OK, doubt it stays much longer...

Streets - :drool: He is actually singing this song again. Judging from what people have said...intro somewhat lacking (although I love the africana chanting...when he decides to do it)

New Years Day - lacking IMO. see Slane DVD for how song should be played (or Sydney zootv)

BOY songs...sound great. Waiting for Out of Control to make an appearance

Mysterious Ways - over-hyped around here...it is OK (no Zootv)

HTDAAB - all great except for Edge's harmony in City (way too high) and Bono not making an attempt in ABOY to sing the "heyya's" at the end

Beautiful Day - never been better

Elevation - replace immediately with Out of Control.

Pride - unfortunately this song is an integral part of the sermon, and is likely a staple. I blame world governments for having this song in the set. Great guitar though.

40 - awesome, brings a reflective tear to my eye.

That is all.

slip slide away said:

...Bono not making an attempt in ABOY to sing the "heyya's" at the end

That really annoys me! He still seems to be guarding his voice alot, and for me the 'heyya' is the best part of that song. grrrr....

I love Zoo Station and The Fly--two of my all time favorites but I have to agree with whoever wrote that Zoo Station sounds weak. Has a very hollow sound to it and the new lyrics are awful.

Guarding his voice?
Of course he is - there's still plenty of of shows for him to get through with the voice intact.
What can he do?
Apart from quit smoking that is...

pulle28 said:
Guarding his voice?
Of course he is - there's still plenty of of shows for him to get through with the voice intact.
What can he do?
Apart from quit smoking that is...

Well its is responsibility to look after his voice the best way he can, but it can be frustrating to be paying 200 quid for tickets to a gig where the singers not giving it is whole. Its not that he's singing badly, just that it sounds so lifeless at times

Daveone said:

Well its is responsibility to look after his voice the best way he can, but it can be frustrating to be paying 200 quid for tickets to a gig where the singers not giving it is whole. Its not that he's singing badly, just that it sounds so lifeless at times
not giving his all? from what i have heard from the last show he was on fire, but hey, seems like people like you will never be happy or coninced

I think the problem with Bullet is Edge wants to play the Blues, God Part 2 would be useful for him imo and he should send Bullet back to being an insane solo with The Fly other than that he's kicking ass:wink:

I have loved Bullet since the day I first heard it, but I think it may well be time to drop it. But considering they still play Pride, SBS, NYD and other older songs that need to be dropped, then it's par for the course.

So as long as they play older songs, why not keep it? If it wasn't Bullet, it would be another old song that chances are most of us are tired of. At least Bullet is theatric, with a chance for Edge to wail a little, and at least New Years Day still sounds good, Sunday Bloody Sunday, while totally sick of it, it's an energizer for those who aren't die-hards. I can't come up with an excuse for Pride, it needs to go.

And Zoo Station, it's not as good as the Zoo TV versions, but it's still a great song, one that has been dearly missed by many fans since the end of Zoo Tv. The Fly sounds magnificent apart from Bono's suposed 'lyrics'. I expect both songs to get better as time moves on.

slip slide away said:
Notes:

BTBS - I like it...it is a far more reflective version and quite polished IMO.

Agree here. I love the current version. Not as in your face, but excellent. I think a lot of people might be missing the monologue at the end - and I can understand that. Still is fantastic and needs to be mellowed out when coming at the end of a very intense series of songs.

RTSS - good, but NOTHING will top the ZOOTV version.

I, too, like the guitar version better and the Hallelujahs at the end don't sound anywhere near as powerful as what was happening when this song led into Streets on ZooTV.

Zoo Station - Bono should just sing the real words...he is ruining the song IMO...again not as good as numerous zootv versions i've heard.

Agreed here. It seems like he's not quite sure what to say with the "new words" of this song. There are other songs I'd rather hear off of Achtung Baby in it's place. Real Thing or Wild Horses would be nice (Wild Horses would be my preference since it also has not been played in a long time).

The Fly - OK, doubt it stays much longer...

I think The Fly will hang around now. They didn't seem to get it in San Diego but the first night it Anaheim sounded awesome. Wouldn't be surprised if it occasionally drops out, but I think it'll be in rotation for the tour at least.

Streets - :drool: He is actually singing this song again. Judging from what people have said...intro somewhat lacking (although I love the africana chanting...when he decides to do it)

Streets is always pretty fantastic - love the Africana singing too, but the crowd doesn't seem to get as into it. I liked the intro for Elevation better and don't think Pride works as well going into Streets as Streets works going into Pride.

New Years Day - lacking IMO. see Slane DVD for how song should be played (or Sydney zootv)
Love the song, but it's had its day in concert. They've played it pretty regularly since War and it's a bit stale at this point. Wonder if they could cobble together a strong version of Two Hearts Beat as One to replace it? I'd love to hear Surrender, but I'm not sure as many fans out there love the song as much as I do. Like a Song would be fantastic, but that disappeared during the War tour, IIRC.

BOY songs...sound great. Waiting for Out of Control to make an appearance

Yes. Have sounded great. Hope they play Gloria a bit more. I hope against hope that they'll play other stuff October as well, but I doubt it. I think I Threw A Brick Through a Window would be great.

Off of Boy I'd love to hear Out of Control. I'm fine if they don't play I Will Follow. I know they won't play A Day Without Me because they think it's childish. If they introduce an acoustic set, I could see Shadows and Tall Trees fitting in.

Mysterious Ways - over-hyped around here...it is OK (no Zootv)

Sounded pretty good. It's still got energy and is a favorite of a lot of people. Doesn't need to be played every night anymore.

HTDAAB - all great except for Edge's harmony in City (way too high) and Bono not making an attempt in ABOY to sing the "heyya's" at the end

Agreed on all points. Would love to see Crumbs and Original get in there.

Beautiful Day - never been better

Elevation - replace immediately with Out of Control.

Elevation is great if played like on the album, but I don't like it now. I'm getting a bit tired of Beautiful Day and would rather hear Walk On. I'd love to hear Kite played at some point, but I fear it's not coming back.

Pride - unfortunately this song is an integral part of the sermon, and is likely a staple. I blame world governments for having this song in the set. Great guitar though.

Love Pride, though I wish they would not just let it fade away and would instead finish it like they have in the past. Wouldn't be bad if they sped it up ala Joshua Tree tour (as heard on R&H).

40 - awesome, brings a reflective tear to my eye.

That is all.

Yahweh into "40" is fantastic. Granted, Walk On was a good closer too, but "40" is classic in that sense.

I don't get to see them live until the second US leg (all Miami shows, Tampa, and all Atlanta shows).

but again you do relise, if they droped maybe half of them, then we would have other people moaning about them dropping them, so really the best thing we can do, is lets just enjoy the concerts, because before we know it, it will have all been done and dusted, and all we will remember is bitching about quite silly things

I think The Fly sounds absolutely awesome on this latest tour! im praying that it stays in the setlist by the time they reach europe. Surely the coolest song they have ever written :cool:

I am curious if you guys have been to the shows, or are just listening to the boots.
Maybe you have or havent. But I think its whole different issue when you experience these songs ‘Live’. Keep in mind that the shows are designed and directed for the live performance. Not for a bootleg.

I was at the Anaheim show Saturday and from what I am hearing, it might be the best so far. (not hard since we have only 4?)

From the moment I heard COBL I thought, this will open the shows on tour..and I love that song and couldn’t wait.
But…

LAPOE brought down the house. It has a great build up, and an agitated anxiety about that may not come through on the cd, or even the bootleg, but live is was kick ass!
Bono was psycho and standing with arm raised, peace sign raised high singing ‘we need Love and Peace’ was a fitting start to the show.
Playing Vertigo second is fantastic, its too fast to start the show. You need that build up, then the way the drums kick in right after LAPOE dies down, is so sweet. For the those who have’nt seen the show yet, the visuals will blow you away. Form now on when I hear that song I will always here bono and 24,000 +/- people yelling “uno, dos, tres, catorce!” then that guitar with those lights…wow!
Elevation ROCKED!!!!..everyone was going crazy!!! The lighting effects we awesome!
After Electric Co. the rest of the songs from ‘Boy’ were a welcome break in the action, but no one lost interest.
COBl was great!..the screens images were beautiful, was edge’s voice too high?...maybe, frankly I could not tell BECAUSE OF THE 24,000 voices screaming “oh you look so….”
Beautiful Day, some one said it, never sounded or looked better.
Nice speech about the Pontiff, Bono is funny, everyone has a good laugh, then stunning versions of miracle, and sometimes…gorgeous…but no ‘unplugged take a break get intimate moment…which I know people like, but it would not fit well into this show’
Just when were getting warm and fuzzy and hugging each other, the ‘War’ songs NYD, SBS, and BTBS were vicious!, yes we may have tired of SBS, but when we hear it live, we all go nuts. They rocked, the blue fighter jets on BTBS were fantastic! When I think of that song, I will not think of Edges guitar blues, or Bono messing up lyrics…I will think of the overall combination of lights, music, and Bono’s non-verbal commentary of the state of the world.
RTSS was so great, it was like the campfire song after the battle, it fits so well here!!!!
ZOO Station, I never thought I would ever here this song live, I am so glad they played it, and guess what...it rocked,..the lights, all digi-crazy!...So techni-rock. Edge and Bono, slowly make ing there way to the far end of the eclipse, Edge with that same walk he used on Zoo TV….again, do I like Bono’s words, not more than the original, but again, what do I rmemebr from the moment, the entire screaming “ZOO STATION!!!
The Fly was always, and still is about the visuals! And Oh those visuals!..even if the screens couldn’t keep up and started fading out …I still will remember “its your world you can change it”.
People actually had to catch there breath after this jam!
MW, was great, funny and loud. A nice end to the set, with funny dance moves and visuals, and I think bon likes hearing 24,000 people sing “its alright..its all-right!”
Pride was stunning, again, crowd interaction was sooo beautiful!!!..everyone singing, and yes a good segue into what came after.
A lot of talk about streets, and how weak it is, and how weak the intro is. My personal favorite was the psalm106 inttro, but that was from another time. U2 was crawling out of what many thought was a tomb. They did it with class, humbleness,and beautiful music. Elevation was about lifting spirits, very introspective. For that I was glad to see it right up against the heart on the floor. This is U2 in 2005!
This is no comeback story. Bono said it ..Holy ground, proving ground. That was the holy ground, this is the proving ground. Streets was about the world, yes focusing on Africa, but it was looking outside of ourselves. This is obviously the theme throughtout here. And when the flags came down and the into started, the place went ballistic. Streets blew the roof off the place! In terms of community sing along, and energy, might have been the highlight of the show.
One, awesome, emotional, ABOY fantastic, Yahweh and 40 were beautiful, the yearning in Bono’s voice. It was incredible.
And I saw all this from the cheapseats, in front of the stage, across the arena, where almost everyone stood up the whole show!

Its just my opinion, but after seeing this thing in person, songs like Out of control, Walk on, Desire, with or without you, and even the venerable Bad, just would not fit in very well.
I expect the songlist to change quite often, but I think the general design is incredible. Well done boys!
Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
slip slide away said:
HTDAAB - all great except for Edge's harmony in City (way too high)

Have to agree completely. Usually Bono-Edge harmonies work flawlessy (the end of "Stuck" is a prime example) but Edge's ultra-high vocals during COBL ruin the chourus of the song IMO.

Back
Top Bottom