What's Worse at a U2 show? Clappers, Screamers, Drunks or Smokers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know what I hate?????

The couple that arrive together arm in arm, looking lovey dovey and affectionate. They're so affectionate, they start SNOGGING :mad: and keep snogging all the friggin' way through the show. GET A ROOM!

What's worse??? THEY'RE IN MY LINE OF VISION!!!!!:madspit: I've got nowhere to move and they won't go away!

This has happened more times than I care to remember and it always seems to happen at the big concerts with a large GA floor. This bloody idiots have forked out big bucks to not see or hear a fucking thing!

Gah!:yuck:

3invertednines said:
Oh, my other "favorite" U2 show pet peeve:

Those three sisters and their mom in Phoenix! You know who you are! You were against the rail on the floor, taking up WAY too much room, and then one of you was sick and not even paying attention to the show. Word of advice: don't take up more room than you need, and if you're not feeling well, LEAVE!

thursday? i was over a couple ppl from a girl who got sick also, security bringin her water... we talkin bout same ppl??

most annoying... people who sit down durring the concert and complain about the people standing in front of them.

if you need to sit 'cause you're just tired or you have a bonefied medical condition of some sort, by all means... sit. but you're at a rock concert... people are going to be standing up, jumping around, doing all sorts of stuff.

at the brooklyn free show, before the show a girl who was much shorter than me asked if she could go in front of me... no problem... i let her.

durring the show someone asked me to stop putting my hands in the air. ehhh... wrong-o. not happening. it's a friggin rock concert buddy... get used to it.

My biggest complaint (and seems to be mostly female offenders) is the chicks that try to SQUEEZE their way up front and think you "owe" it to them to let them up there. Hell I'm a chick and wouldn't THINK of doing that to someone else. I get to the shows EARLY so I can be in the front. And when I say NO or ignore you...than accept it and don't call me a bitch for not letting you in. I don't care if you are short....that's not my fault, you and thousands of other girls hope to be "the one" Bono picks to come up on stage. Me too, but doesn't happen every night.
:madspit:
You picked your spot, now stand in, rock out and ENJOY THE SHOW! :rockon:
I want to ENJOY the show...not deal w/traumas.

I can't believe some people here complain about people singing, clapping, and scremaing at a rock show. Where the hell do you think you are? U2 shows are so fantastic precisely because people get so into it. Imagine how great shows would be if the whole crowd would sit silently and enjoy the music. Boring as hell and not the communal, near-religious experience that U2 shows are. I don't think the band would enjoy as much either.

That being said, I think that there is a way to sing, dance, clap and enjoy the show without going completely over-board and ruining the show for others. I am myself the type who sings every single word from start to finish, but I try to do it in a reasonable way and not to scream into anyone's ears.

I like when people are really into it around me. And that involves singing, clapping and all. That's why the Montreal shows are the best, not only is the crowd the loudest and super-enthusiastic, but no one will ever complain about it there.

I don't have many pet peeves at live shows, I take a live and let live attitude, but the one that REALLY pisses me off is beer, particularly the spillage of beer. :mad:

If you have taken the time to wait in line for 20 minutes for a beer, for crying out loud, DRINK IT!!! The people behind me at San Diego 1 put their beers on the floor under their seats and promptly kicked them over when the music started. I had my coat and purse under my seat and they were soaked by the end of the show.

And if you've had a few too many, please be considerate of the people around you...watch the spillage when you're going back to your seat, don't forget you have a beer in your hand when you throw your arms in the air to cheer and lastly, we're all digging the show as much as you are but hitting us on the shoulder every 10 minutes and screaming "U2 MAN, ITS FUCKING U2, COME ON...DANCE OR SOMETHING!!" isn't cool to anyone but you.

Other than that, sing, dance, scream, snog...I don't care. Have fun but be considerate.

Bono's American Wife said:
I don't have many pet peeves at live shows, I take a live and let live attitude, but the one that REALLY pisses me off is beer, particularly the spillage of beer. :mad:

If you have taken the time to wait in line for 20 minutes for a beer, for crying out loud, DRINK IT!!! The people behind me at San Diego 1 put their beers on the floor under their seats and promptly kicked them over when the music started. I had my coat and purse under my seat and they were soaked by the end of the show.

I was going to post that I really hate that too, but then I remembered that I bought a Sprite at SD1, only to accidently knock it over and soak my own purse :reject: But I was mad about it though :mad: :lol:

My only peeve is when people are inconsiderate. This basically covers all issues when you think about it. It would be nice if more people used common sense.

Edge is in the middle of a killer solo? Cheers! Clap! Yell when he finishes it!

Bono's whispering the first lines of Running to stand still? Stand dead quiet, and take in the moment of total silence except for his voice.

Wanna have a beer? Great! In fact, have two! But honestly, do you need ten of them? And do you really need to puke it on the poor girl next to you?

If everyone just took a moment to think, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Your best crowds are the ones that know what and when to do it.

I'll use Allen Fieldhouse in Lawrence as an example. KU plays basketball there. I'm not kidding, there is no other venue like it. (Maybe Cameron Indoor Arena) And it's not just because its ridiculously loud. (Because it is.) It's because everyone knows when to cheer, and knows when to get dead silent. When KU shoots a free throw, you could hear a pin drop. It's almost creepy. Most importantly, everyone respects your space, even though its got the tightest seating I've ever seen. If I could get that at a concert I'd be in heaven.

Last edited:
...and then there's the guy who inevitably is right next to me who decides to take his shirt off and get crazy. You know this guy. He's hairy, sweaty, violating your personal space whilst trying to crowd surf, and he smells bad.

U2dork said:
...and then there's the guy who inevitably is right next to me who decides to take his shirt off and get crazy. You know this guy. He's hairy, sweaty, violating your personal space whilst trying to crowd surf, and he smells bad.

Does he look like the basketball dude in Along Came Polly? Ewww...

lol no offense but the most annoying thing is people that complain about how other people act at a concert. I mean c'mon everybody enjoys things differently and the people being complained about paid just as much for their tickets as you did so leave em alone lol. I mean who wants to be next to someone thats going to pick out everything and everyone that annoys them at a show? That is what's really annoying. I mean the clappers, screamers,drunks, and smokers let them have their fun, you don't see them here complaining do you? No cos they were enjoying themselves. They're all part of the concert enviorment whether you like it or not. I personally think they are amusing. Live and let live.

AngelofHarlem01 said:
lol I mean the clappers, screamers,drunks, and smokers let them have their fun, you don't see them here complaining do you? No cos they were enjoying themselves. They're all part of the concert enviorment whether you like it or not. I personally think they are amusing. Live and let live.

Live and let live huh? You ever been puked on? Or punched by a drunk? I'll stick my neck out and say the whole live and let live attitude is part of the problem. No one wants to be socially responsible for dangereous or illegal behavior. It's like the guy who posted that tall people are more annoying that drunks. LOL! Like someone could actually do something about being tall! Yet society is so morally bankrupt you are labeled a jerk for having a problem with drunks who ruin a concert with their horrible behavior.

p.s. This isn't directed as an attack on AngelofHarlem01. I'm just curious who would actually approve of such behavior.

Last edited:
Hmmmmmm...lots of opinions here.

I'll scream when the band comes on - 'cause after 4 years I'll just be so damned happy to see 'em again! C'mon....you KNOW you will too :wink:

I'll sing along ONLY when it's appropriate (And I DO sing in key), but I can't believe some folks think it's not right to sing along. Jeeez, it's a concert guys - it will happen - I will sing along.

I do drink but won't drink at the concert, 'cause I want to remember the whole amazing experience. Why anyone would want to go for a beer while U2 is on is beyond me anyway!

I'll clap when it's required (like in the middle of 'Bullet' for example - "So this guys comes up to me...") Clapping is a natural response to a rhythm, but not everyone can keep time that well (ask Larry about Edge), so cut 'em a little slack for trying to participate huh?

I don't chat to anyone during a concert except to answer a question. Who'd want to miss one of Bono's quips or Edge's excellent backing vocals??

I'll smoke outside in the line and if I REALLY, REALLY feel the need, you better believe I'll smoke during the concert. Don't like it - tough - I couldn't give a rat's! If however smoking is prohibited then I won't, as I've always adhered to no smoking policies wherever they are.
However, as I've cut my smoking in half over the last 5-6 weeks, I hope I'll be almost a non-smoker by then anyway.

Bottom line is that I won't deliberately set out to annoy another U2 fan at any concert, but I don't appreciate being lectured by anyone for something so lame it isn't worth talking about. You have been duly warned.

Let's just focus on the show, rather than what annoys us before we even get there. Most of us will be in each other's orbits for a few short hours, so why go out of our way to piss someone off?

Enjoy!

stevec said:
Hmmmmmm...lots of opinions here.

I'll scream when the band comes on - 'cause after 4 years I'll just be so damned happy to see 'em again! C'mon....you KNOW you will too :wink:

I'll sing along ONLY when it's appropriate (And I DO sing in key), but I can't believe some folks think it's not right to sing along. Jeeez, it's a concert guys - it will happen - I will sing along.

I do drink but won't drink at the concert, 'cause I want to remember the whole amazing experience. Why anyone would want to go for a beer while U2 is on is beyond me anyway!

I'll clap when it's required (like in the middle of 'Bullet' for example - "So this guys comes up to me...") Clapping is a natural response to a rhythm, but not everyone can keep time that well (ask Larry about Edge), so cut 'em a little slack for trying to participate huh?

I don't chat to anyone during a concert except to answer a question. Who'd want to miss one of Bono's quips or Edge's excellent backing vocals??

I'll smoke outside in the line and if I REALLY, REALLY feel the need, you better believe I'll smoke during the concert. Don't like it - tough - I couldn't give a rat's! If however smoking is prohibited then I won't, as I've always adhered to no smoking policies wherever they are.
However, as I've cut my smoking in half over the last 5-6 weeks, I hope I'll be almost a non-smoker by then anyway.

Bottom line is that I won't deliberately set out to annoy another U2 fan at any concert, but I don't appreciate being lectured by anyone for something so lame it isn't worth talking about. You have been duly warned.

Let's just focus on the show, rather than what annoys us before we even get there. Most of us will be in each other's orbits for a few short hours, so why go out of our way to piss someone off?

Enjoy!

I'd gladly stand next to you at a show.

Thank you tkramer - it would be my honor.

We could get drunk, sing badly, throw up on folks, smoke 2 packs and throw the empty cartons at the stage and leave before the encore.

Heh heh heh just kidding!!!

stevec said:
Thank you tkramer - it would be my honor.

We could get drunk, sing badly, throw up on folks, smoke 2 packs and throw the empty cartons at the stage and leave before the encore.

Heh heh heh just kidding!!!

LOL!

In all seriousness, I will agree its pretty hard to find a line everyone can be happy with, but I would hope most would agree dangerous behavior is not cool...

To tkramer:
Hey I don't approve of such behaviour I'm just sick of everyone complaining about it thats all. I mean people act like it's such a big suprise to see this sort of stuff at a concert. And spouting it all off here isn't going to solve those problems. If it's so bothersome to people do something about it. I don't like being puked on just as much as the next person. So, don't act like I condone their actions, because I don't.

I like to drink occasionally, but there's no way I'll do it before or during a U2 concert ... I'll be peeing every five minutes! :wink:

Seriously, I have such a "nervous" bladder that I don't dare drink anything even a couple of hours before the show starts.

Absolutely tkramer- I am totally for having the best night of your life at the concert, as long as it doesn't ruin what is an equally special night for someone else. It's just common sense, or at least it should be common sense anyways LOL

I just don't don't like some other attitudes displayed here, where I am expected to participate in a concert ONLY to the standards of another person. I'm a decent guy who wouldn't deliberately piss another off, but like everyone I daresay I do or say things that some won't care for. It doesn't make me bad, it's simply what makes me 'ME' and I won't apologise for that.

I'm looking forward to a great night, where hopefully I'll maybe make a few new friends as well as see U2 live - the last thing I'll be doing is allowing someone to get in the way of that. Whether that's someone behaving like a jerk, or someone complaining about my singing along - it won't make one bit of difference to me.

I guess I've been lucky enough not to have encountered concert morons, except the guy I introduced to the floor at an INXS concert in '93. What can I say, I didn't appreciate being used as a jumping-off platform for his "pogo-ing" antics? By all means pogo away people, but not ON me please :wink:

Counting the days and counting my blessings that I have a ticket!!

corianderstem said:
I like to drink occasionally, but there's no way I'll do it before or during a U2 concert ... I'll be peeing every five minutes! :wink:

Seriously, I have such a "nervous" bladder that I don't dare drink anything even a couple of hours before the show starts.

If yours is "nervous", then mine must be terrified - I'd need some incontinence pants if I drank beer!!

AngelofHarlem01 said:
To tkramer:
Hey I don't approve of such behaviour I'm just sick of everyone complaining about it thats all. I mean people act like it's such a big suprise to see this sort of stuff at a concert. And spouting it all off here isn't going to solve those problems. If it's so bothersome to people do something about it. I don't like being puked on just as much as the next person. So, don't act like I condone their actions, because I don't.

I said I wasn't attacking you personally. So sorry if I offended you. I also agree that it's not surprising to see conduct like this at a concert. Ditto for the fact talking about it here not changing anything. I'm just surprised so many people seem ok with awful behavior at shows. Plus, this IS a U2 TOUR forum. Why not discuss it? Do you really want the GA debate to come back instead? :)

I had some guy so drunk next to me - he pissed himself at the Elevation Philly show. How can you go to a U2 concert and all you remember <maybe> is wetting yourself?

This time I bought club box seats for the second show to avoid that mess. Not sure about the first show - I am going solo.:no: :no:

I understand how people have different opinions on what is acceptable behavior at a, or a particular, concert. "We all disagree, i think we should disagree." That being said, I'm in agreement with the anti- screamers, clappers, etc.

However, i don't think it's bitching. I think it's educating. Honestly, some people have only gone to a few concerts in their lifetime, or possibly a few a year.

My biggest complaint, people bitching about $5 for a magnetic blinky pin.

Thursday night at Glendale, I went out to the patio for a smoke (I did not smoke inside). I had a floor ticket but didnt get in the ellipse. I meet this guy on the patio who is pissed as a fart and he has an ellipse wristband! He said he came by the arena in the morning but decided it was too hot to wait in line all day so he went to a local bar and drank all day and then showed up and got in the ellipse. The guy could barely speak coherently. Then towards the end of the show, I notice a guy in the VIP section who is just about passed out but still on his feet with a friend holding him up. What a waste - these guys need to put the plug in the jug.

3invertednines said:
Okay, the WORST people at a U2 show are the "cutters". You pay good money (either face value or alot more) for GA tickets, and you wait all day to get a decent spot on the floor. Then, in the middle of the show, here comes some drunken piece of shit and his girlfriend, and they think they're just gonna stand in front of me??? I DONT FUCKING THINK SO, BUDDY! If they want to show up to the concert at 8:30pm, that's their business. But don't even DREAM of pushing your way to the front of the GA crowd without expecting a full-on BRAWL!

The other day in Phoenix, some asshole used his girlfriend as a means to squeeze their way up close. Then they tried to squeeze in front of me! Well, I pushed them both out the way and reclaimed my spot, and the big drunken gorilla didn't like it, so he decided to make empty threats like "you dont know who you're dealing with" and "you're so lucky im drunk right now". Psssssssshhhhhhh! After I had a good laugh in his face, he took his girlfriend to the back of the floor where they belong, and all the guys around us said they were waiting for him to get physical and they would have all jumped in! That's what I like to see! U2 fans sticking up for eachother!

Honestly, its just COMMON COURTESY! You do *NOT* move ahead of someone if you weren't there to begin with...PERIOD! I wouldn't even dream of ruining someone's experience by pushing in front of them. People just have no decency anymore.

:up:

and whatever happened to the common courtesy of saying thank you to people who stand up so you can get your can through a row, usually when the show has already started of course, and the common courtesy of "excuse me" as you walk on everyone's feet when U2 has just hit the stage and they push through the row and clobber all of us. Americans have the worse manners of anywhere I've ever been in my life, and it just keeps getting worse.

U2 Blinky Light said:
My biggest complaint, people bitching about $5 for a magnetic blinky pin.

exactly. how can those losers have a leg to stand on? meanwhile, crappy t-shirts and other so-so quality merchandise being sold for $30±... why pay so much for a crap piece of merch when you can have something *cool* for once for just $5? idiots, the lot of them.

Back
Top Bottom