Whats with Vertigo opening and closing???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rjhbonovox

Refugee
I don't understand the thought behind opening and closing the current tour with the same song. I mean its not as if U2 only have 2 albums to choose from and have to play the same song twice. Just seems a waste of time to play the same song twice. Do they do a banjo version at the end or something? Strange idea from a band that have loads of songs to choose from?:huh:

Two reasons that I can think of.

1 - The Band Want to end with a Bang, and Wanna Play it again.

2 - Bono's been saying "this is our first album", therefore recreating the old early 80's shows, where they started and finished a show with the same song.

bono_man2002 said:
Two reasons that I can think of.

1 - The Band Want to end with a Bang, and Wanna Play it again.

2 - Bono's been saying "this is our first album", therefore recreating the old early 80's shows, where they started and finished a show with the same song.

My first show they played 11 O'Clock tick tock twice, I wonder if they did that now if people would complain or be happy.:huh:

I think its a waste of time when they could play another song. Jesus they have plenty to choose from.

rjhbonovox said:
I think its a waste of time when they could play another song. Jesus they have plenty to choose from.
or as i have been saying for so long maybe they love playing it so much?

They reckon it passes into the concept of the tour, joe public at the concert has had enough and knows they could rock to a different tune, the only solution is to stop whining on the countless u2 boards and email u2.com and let them know, if you cant be bothered STFU

I loved it when the finished with Vertigo. The place goes nuts and bounces the whole song. It's a great way to finish! A true ENCORE.

these threads are getting as bad as the "what does uno dos tres catorce!!!!!" mean? threads. its gotta be rivaling it in terms of thread numbers now.

Headache said:
They reckon it passes into the concept of the tour, joe public at the concert has had enough and knows they could rock to a different tune, the only solution is to stop whining on the countless u2 boards and email u2.com and let them know, if you cant be bothered STFU
what do you mean the joe public has had enough? no they havent? have you seen it when they play it again, the place goes nuts,

KUEFC09U2 said:
what do you mean the joe public has had enough? no they havent? have you seen it when they play it again, the place goes nuts,

I know, I filmed it in Gelsenkirchen, it deffo gets the crowd going especially because they know its nearly over. I simply tried to say the whining over it seems to be going OTT

Whats with the Vertigo opening and closing threads???

This thread has already been started once (actually more like 10 times), why do people have to do it again!! There are so many other great threads people could start instead.

Last edited:
Chizip said:

This thread has already been started once (actually more like 10 times), why do people have to do it again!! There are so many other great threads people could start instead.

thank you

Bono explains it himself at some of the shows. The following is from Boston 3 of the first leg:

"Okay, this is an Italian lesson. The word is "encore." Meaning encore in the opera... if you felt like it and really liked one of the songs they had played earlier, you would just do it again."

U2Girl1978 said:
Imagine if they played Acrobat twice. The whole place would spontaneously combust. :huh:

Sadly you'd probably find 90% of the crowd wouldn't have a clue what Acrobat was.

Chizip said:

Like a "Why Isn't Vertigo In The Middle?" Thread. hehe :wink:

Watching U2 will be a once in a lifetime experience for me. Having them play Vertigo twice will be a waste of time since they are already leaving out so many good songs from Zooropa and Pop. :down:

Don't try to legitimize it... It's just U2 arrogance. The first time the band did it, Edge, Larry, and Adam were visibly disturbed; they knew it was dumb... But instead, of admitting they can be wrong, U2 (read Bono) works it into every setlist as if to show that it was intentional from day 1... as if it's some ground-breaking idea... it's just dumb.

ZooMacPhisto800 said:
Don't try to legitimize it... It's just U2 arrogance. The first time the band did it, Edge, Larry, and Adam were visibly disturbed; they knew it was dumb... But instead, of admitting they can be wrong, U2 (read Bono) works it into every setlist as if to show that it was intentional from day 1... as if it's some ground-breaking idea... it's just dumb.

Are you referring to the Seattle show? I was there and they didn't look disturbed to me :shrug:

Last edited:
I couldn't tell what the band's reaction was at the Seattle show, but I can't imagine they would keep doing it if all 4 of them weren't happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom