What was the single worst show in Europe this year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There was nothing wrong with the band at Manchester 1 just some of the so called fans who stood like statues and tried to act cool when people round them let themselves go, i agree with lisa 2004 about the poor way we were let into the stadium from gate y ,by the way Lisa were you the person giving one of the security guys loads of grief about their organisation if so well done:up:

the edges plec said:
There was nothing wrong with the band at Manchester 1 just some of the so called fans who stood like statues and tried to act cool when people round them let themselves go, i agree with lisa 2004 about the poor way we were let into the stadium from gate y ,by the way Lisa were you the person giving one of the security guys loads of grief about their organisation if so well done:up:

Hi, myself and 2 friends were right at the front of gate Y and yes we were giving the secruity lots of grief about the fact that the other gates were opening first and that we would not get a rail spot even though we had been there all night (we camped out - lol)

I still don't know how we managed to get a rail spot - just amazing luck I guess.

BTW - we were the girls going mad at hearing IWF at the sound check and we had 2 banners - one begging the band to play WOWY!!!

Where did you end up standing?

Lisa

1st night GA wise was a total catastrophe. We arrived at our gate on the east side at about 7am, the staff then decided to build a barricade around us because presumably they hadnt thought that the biggest band in the world on the opening night of their UK tour would attract many people willing to queue all day.

So.... the barricade gets built and we wait, no one else is allowed in this enclosure but we don't have any toilets so they rely on having a marker pen number on our hands as a way to let us in and out to go to the loo. Bear in mind that the marker pen was a fan idea. We then wait till about 2pm when this guy appears with 100's of wrist bands for the front enclosure, theres a panic but we all get one (about 200 of us i would guess).

By this point, on my trip out of the enclosure for a toilet break, there were 1000's of wristband-less fans looking very angryly at me, rightly so too. Apprently security had told them that we were the ones who had camped so were going to get the wristbands!!! I later find out that those outside were randomly given or SOLD wristbands by security, no matter how far down the line they were. So just to recap, people who had arrived 10 mins after me and who weren't in the 'enclosure' as it was being built didn't neccessarily get wristbands. This is unfair to say the least.

It gets better. At 4pm ONE tiny gate opens and there is a stupidly frightening crush to get through which slows everyone down getting in. They then close the door and shout at us like kids. They then open them again (people are getting phone calls off their mates at the other side of the stadium telling them they are in, this makes the panic and anger rise even further!!!) bear in mind that there are huge doors in the middle to prevent this kind of crush, but these are kept shut. Idiots. Also bear in mind that those outside the 'enclosure' haven't even started to get into our area yet so wouldn't have got on the pitch until around 4:30.

So, we get in, i get a really good rail spot about 2 rows back from the front on Edges side. I was so lucky though, 10 minutes later arriving i'd probably have to have brought a wristband off some scally.

What killed the atmosphere that night IMO more than anything else though is the lack of people in the GA enclosure. It was ridiculous. There was a huge gap between the back of enclosure GA and front of normal GA. It looks stupid on pictures i've seen taken from the stands. No wonder people in GA were pissed off. If you look at the Oasis show from the same stadium (that's been on UK TV about 500 times!) the GA pitch is FULL and it looks like an incredible atmosphere, why couldn't U2 do the same. Bono must have felt it when he walked out to the mini stages.

1st night was great setlist and band wise, but the crowd were a bit off.

2nd night GA experience was better, more people in the enclosure and the magic happened.

chrissybaby said:
1st night GA wise was a total catastrophe. We arrived at our gate on the east side at about 7am, the staff then decided to build a barricade around us because presumably they hadnt thought that the biggest band in the world on the opening night of their UK tour would attract many people willing to queue all day.

So.... the barricade gets built and we wait, no one else is allowed in this enclosure but we don't have any toilets so they rely on having a marker pen number on our hands as a way to let us in and out to go to the loo. Bear in mind that the marker pen was a fan idea. We then wait till about 2pm when this guy appears with 100's of wrist bands for the front enclosure, theres a panic but we all get one (about 200 of us i would guess).

By this point, on my trip out of the enclosure for a toilet break, there were 1000's of wristband-less fans looking very angryly at me, rightly so too. Apprently security had told them that we were the ones who had camped so were going to get the wristbands!!! I later find out that those outside were randomly given or SOLD wristbands by security, no matter how far down the line they were. So just to recap, people who had arrived 10 mins after me and who weren't in the 'enclosure' as it was being built didn't neccessarily get wristbands. This is unfair to say the least.

It gets better. At 4pm ONE tiny gate opens and there is a stupidly frightening crush to get through which slows everyone down getting in. They then close the door and shout at us like kids. They then open them again (people are getting phone calls off their mates at the other side of the stadium telling them they are in, this makes the panic and anger rise even further!!!) bear in mind that there are huge doors in the middle to prevent this kind of crush, but these are kept shut. Idiots. Also bear in mind that those outside the 'enclosure' haven't even started to get into our area yet so wouldn't have got on the pitch until around 4:30.

So, we get in, i get a really good rail spot about 2 rows back from the front on Edges side. I was so lucky though, 10 minutes later arriving i'd probably have to have brought a wristband off some scally.

What killed the atmosphere that night IMO more than anything else though is the lack of people in the GA enclosure. It was ridiculous. There was a huge gap between the back of enclosure GA and front of normal GA. It looks stupid on pictures i've seen taken from the stands. No wonder people in GA were pissed off. If you look at the Oasis show from the same stadium (that's been on UK TV about 500 times!) the GA pitch is FULL and it looks like an incredible atmosphere, why couldn't U2 do the same. Bono must have felt it when he walked out to the mini stages.

1st night was great setlist and band wise, but the crowd were a bit off.

2nd night GA experience was better, more people in the enclosure and the magic happened.

Omg, that sounds awful.. what gate were you at?

At Gate Y – there were no barriers there until about mid day and they kept pushing us back and being right pains about it. I can’t believe that they were not organised better.

Luckily we got it sorted and got in OK but the pitch was already really full and lots of fans we not in the inner circle part – I would love to know what set of fans got in first.

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom