What was new about streets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what i ask is: what was new at all for the first show of the fourth leg of the tour except for afew songs being played in different spots?

No african flags, only southamerican and the mexican flags which got a huge reaction from the crowd

quadcaster said:
what i ask is: what was new at all for the first show of the fourth leg of the tour except for afew songs being played in different spots?

Edge wore a thicker knit Beanie. Any word on Adam's stage attire?

u2fp

Mofo said:
No african flags, only southamerican and the mexican flags which got a huge reaction from the crowd

... That is it?! :|

yes it must be lame, even though someone who was at the show has just commented on how good the reaction from the crowd was:|

Did he shout Africa! Africa! Africa!!!!!!!! while the Mexican and South American flags were coming down?

KUEFC09U2 said:
yes it must be lame, even though someone who was at the show has just commented on how good the reaction from the crowd was:|

OH NO SOMEONE ATTACKED U2 YOU BETTER BLINDLY JUMP TO THE BAND'S DEFENCE!!! :|

Look, of course the crowd reacted well - their own flag was there! But U2.com mentioned there was going to be some change to Streets, and this is a monumental anticlimax. I was wondering if it would be a new segue or some modified musical style. But no, some flags are changed. So what? I don't go to concerts to look at visuals. The music's what matters. (Which is part of the reason why I don't care that the Streets red background is gone this tour. I don't need red lighting to get the Streets effect. For me, the whole effect comes from the music.)

i dont wanna get pissed off, but this isn't really a change at all is it? I, like Axver, thought that there would be a different intro, or a reworking a la Popmart. I can't help but feel that apart from Bad, that setlist from last night is an anticlimax even from U2.

Of course if you are there it's great, it's U2!

Well, the big change was actually a hidden one that not many people noticed. :yes:

If you took the first letter of the countries represented by flags last night, in the order that they appeared, you'd get the phrase: "New Album In Two-Thousand Seven."

If you took the last letter of the countries represented by flags, in the order they appeared, you'd get the phrase: "George Bush Doesn't Like Black People."

I think that's a HUGE change to Streets! :yes:

:wink:

Axver said:

OH NO SOMEONE ATTACKED U2 YOU BETTER BLINDLY JUMP TO THE BAND'S DEFENCE!!! :|

Look, of course the crowd reacted well - their own flag was there! But U2.com mentioned there was going to be some change to Streets, and this is a monumental anticlimax. I was wondering if it would be a new segue or some modified musical style. But no, some flags are changed. So what? I don't go to concerts to look at visuals. The music's what matters. (Which is part of the reason why I don't care that the Streets red background is gone this tour. I don't need red lighting to get the Streets effect. For me, the whole effect comes from the music.)
you've changed

Tut...it is easy to look at this from the perspective from of fans with tons of bootlegs, but U2 put a show on for the concert goers. Why should the people at that show be U2's guinea pigs - what if the change had fallen flat on its face? These people have paid their money to see U2 - the U2 they know and love.

Maybe the rest of us want to here Discotheque>Mofo>Staring at The Sun>Acrobat>Lemon>Dirty Day>All I Want is You>Please>Streets SUPER MEDLEY but the people at the show want classic Streets.

If anything, I think the length of the show should be the sticking point - since it seemed quite short to me.

The important thing to remember is U2 are playing shows for the concert-goers, not a few thousand geeks on a fan forum.

When we see Streets with the african aspect, we think "oh yeah, another blah blah streets" because we may have heard or seen so many (100+) setlists/bootlegs. 99% of those people it will be their only U2 show and they won't know any different other than being thankful for the whole experience. I think bitching at people's shows is disrespectful to those who have attended them. It isn't their fault U2 haven't decided to fuck the setlist up and many people don't have the time or money to go to multiple shows - U2 have to cater for these people just as much as the rabid fans.

thelaj said:
Tut...it is easy to look at this from the perspective from of fans with tons of bootlegs, but U2 put a show on for the concert goers. Why should the people at that show be U2's guinea pigs - what if the change had fallen flat on its face? These people have paid their money to see U2 - the U2 they know and love.

Maybe the rest of us want to here Discotheque>Mofo>Staring at The Sun>Acrobat>Lemon>Dirty Day>All I Want is You>Please>Streets SUPER MEDLEY but the people at the show want classic Streets.

If anything, I think the length of the show should be the sticking point - since it seemed quite short to me.

The important thing to remember is U2 are playing shows for the concert-goers, not a few thousand geeks on a fan forum.

When we see Streets with the african aspect, we think "oh yeah, another blah blah streets" because we may have heard or seen so many (100+) setlists/bootlegs. 99% of those people it will be their only U2 show and they won't know any different other than being thankful for the whole experience. I think bitching at people's shows is disrespectful to those who have attended them. It isn't their fault U2 haven't decided to fuck the setlist up and many people don't have the time or money to go to multiple shows - U2 have to cater for these people just as much as the rabid fans.

You are totally right, I would just get bored as shit playing almost the identical concert everynight.

thelaj said:

:up:, and the thing is, the band and crew have now taken the step to "presonalise" the visuals of streets, by showing the flags of the continent they are in.

KUEFC09U2 said:
:up:, and the thing is, the band and crew have now taken the step to "presonalise" the visuals of streets, by showing the flags of the continent they are in.

I thought that part of the show was about the African issue.

I may not be the oldest U2 fan on the block (I'm 21, fan since 2000) and have only the opportunity to see them a couple of times in concert. Sure, I would have liked to see them many times more but that isn't always possible.

I guess I have around 40 or so bootlegs, 20 from the Vertigo Tour, so I have a vague idea of what the shows are about. The problem is, bootlegs are only part of the story - they are the audio record of an event. And that is what U2 shows are about - an event..an experience.

When I listen back to the bootlegs of my shows I think "yeah, they are good" but I can hear flaws, and can think of better song renditions from other shows. But it's like telling someone else about sex, you cannot do it - because the experience defies explanation. When I was standing there, a few meters from Edge, the experience transcends a concert. It is a combination of so many factors. That is why one isn't really in a position to judge from setlists & boots alone.

Fair enough, I bitch about setlists as well, but not in terms of criticising the band and the staff. They choose the setlists for a reason, and none of us can speak for them. I often wonder that they must get bored with all the shows, playing Vertigo, One and especially Streets. The point is they don't have to tour, The Beatles didn't, Mariah Carey doesn't. Disparate examples I know - but the choice to tour is personal, and how the tour is constructed - what songs to play are also personal.

U2 have been in this game for a long time, from clubs to arenas to stadiums. They know how the game is played! Take a look at the video where they played Discotheque in Chicago - great song & great performance, but the crowd seemed bewildered. Maybe this is why U2 don't make sudden changes...because it might dissapoint a large number of people. Imagine if they *did* tinker with their most famous song..what if it fell flat like Disco? It would be a much bigger deal than that relatively obscure song. The people in Monterrey (sp?) deserved the same show anyone else got, and we aren't anyone to bitch at U2 for not fiddling around for no reason. I bet OVER 99% of people at that concert (and all concerts) had no problem with Streets - so why should U2 change. What exactly would you propose they change?

I think changing the flags is a great stroke of showmanship, even if it is a little contrived (that word pops up a lot recently). But U2 don't just do concerts, they put on a show - for better or worse.

Some of you only go for the music, but I can't believe that is true, otherwise you would just stay at home and listen to the boots. There must be an "x factor" which causes you to see them live!

If you ask me, far more pertinant discussion topics are the dropping of Zoo Station & The Fly - both Leg 2 regulars and ideally suited for the screen. And of course the addition of BAD, a song most U2 fans (myself included) wet their pants over. Here we have U2 taking the unusual step of BAD in a leg premier, in a stadium, in the main setlist, yet so little discussion has followed it. Surely any changes to Streets are minor compared to these?

Well...thats me over..

wow, new flags, who needs new songs when you have new flags?

its like a whole different show!!!

Just back from Mexico (so tired, I'll give a review later). I just wanted to comment on the "New" Streets. There was no rant about Africa from Bono. They showed Central and South America flags during the performance. Going to NA shows, it was a bit of fresh air not to hear Bono talk about Africa. And Mexico being a borderline 3rd world country, they need to take care of their own economic & poverty problems.

Back
Top Bottom