What was new about streets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thelaj said:
Tut...it is easy to look at this from the perspective from of fans with tons of bootlegs, but U2 put a show on for the concert goers. Why should the people at that show be U2's guinea pigs - what if the change had fallen flat on its face? These people have paid their money to see U2 - the U2 they know and love.

Maybe the rest of us want to here Discotheque>Mofo>Staring at The Sun>Acrobat>Lemon>Dirty Day>All I Want is You>Please>Streets SUPER MEDLEY but the people at the show want classic Streets.

If anything, I think the length of the show should be the sticking point - since it seemed quite short to me.

The important thing to remember is U2 are playing shows for the concert-goers, not a few thousand geeks on a fan forum.

When we see Streets with the african aspect, we think "oh yeah, another blah blah streets" because we may have heard or seen so many (100+) setlists/bootlegs. 99% of those people it will be their only U2 show and they won't know any different other than being thankful for the whole experience. I think bitching at people's shows is disrespectful to those who have attended them. It isn't their fault U2 haven't decided to fuck the setlist up and many people don't have the time or money to go to multiple shows - U2 have to cater for these people just as much as the rabid fans.

I agree with you to an extent. However I don't think it's disprespectful to the fans who attend a show that gets criticized. I mean...that doesn't really make sense. Unless you're saying it directly to them then maybe...but the fact of the matter is that, if they enjoyed...they enjoyed it simple as that.

Also there are two tracks of friends: People that intensevly follow the tour and people that are on the fringe and this may be their first U2 show.

So given that...spicing things up and changing things like Streets has no negative effects. The people that are there for the first time are, like you said, going to enjoy the Streets experience no matter what. The people that have seen the show many times are, at the same time, treated to a refreshing experience.

So...who exactly loses here?

edit: Catering to the rabid, tour-following U2 fans, will, by default, cater to the first-timers as well.

Now I'm not suggesting that U2 should do this. I'm merely talking from a logic point of view. If the casual fans there aren't going to know the difference anyway (or rabid fans to whom this is their first show), then, logically, how would catering to the multiple-show fans be any different to the casual fans?

Last edited:
I do think Montorrery was short, they should have had All Because Of You, New Year's Day and Crumbs...

Achtung Ya'll said:

So given that...spicing things up and changing things like Streets has no negative effects. The people that are there for the first time are, like you said, going to enjoy the Streets experience no matter what. The people that have seen the show many times are, at the same time, treated to a refreshing experience.

Yep, I understand that point...what I mean is if U2 tried an experiment that didn't work out...it would possibly ruin the song for those people. Not a great deal, but it could still be something U2 think about when they decide their show. I really think they are more likely to experiment in an arena with less fans, than a stadium. If something falls flat there, it really falls.

thelaj said:

Yep, I understand that point...what I mean is if U2 tried an experiment that didn't work out...it would possibly ruin the song for those people. Not a great deal, but it could still be something U2 think about when they decide their show. I really think they are more likely to experiment in an arena with less fans, than a stadium. If something falls flat there, it really falls.

Ah yeah I gotcha. Good point.

chizip why would U2 bring new songs into a set that mexico hasnt even seen yet?, just to please the people who collect bootlegs?

KUEFC09U2 said:
chizip why would U2 bring new songs into a set that mexico hasnt even seen yet?, just to please the people who collect bootlegs?

There's two theories on this, both are equally valid to me:

1) I Will Follow, Still Haven't Found, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet the Blue Sky, Pride, Streets, One, Until The End Of The World, Mysterious Ways, With Or Without You

All played the last time they were in Mexico. And I'm pretty sure it's the songs on that list that people would like to see replaced, not the stuff unique to this tour.

2) When the band plays new songs, they don't sleepwalk through them, and it's better for everyone involved.

as far as the flags go...
from what i hear, things in central/south america are pretty depressed. so it would stand to reason that the africa thingamajig would translate easily to south america. the 3rd world is the 3rd world, no matter what side of the atlantic (or indian or pacific) you're at.
i wonder what they'll do when they hit southeast asia/NZ/australia.

KUEFC09U2 said:

Mexicans and Brazilians want Acrobat or The Playboy Mansion not U2 classics.

To get back on-topic......

So what did the transition to Streets actually sound like? If there was no Bono speech about Africa, was it just a straight musical transition from Pride into Streets....did Pride's music die down and the crowd sang for a few minutes/moments and then Streets started? What did it sound like?

Utoo said:
To get back on-topic......

So what did the transition to Streets actually sound like? If there was no Bono speech about Africa, was it just a straight musical transition from Pride into Streets....did Pride's music die down and the crowd sang for a few minutes/moments and then Streets started? What did it sound like?

From what I remembered, Pride died down and the crowd did the Oh...Oh..Oh.Oh with the Streets intro coming in. Bono talked about different parts of the world "From here to there" and concluded with Meixco. Similar to the Africa intro but Mexico was the focal point. Then the flags came in and concluded with the red screen.

It was a nice change from the African intro which wouldn't have made no sense at all in Mexico.

Oh wow. New flags. Seriously, I was hoping for some new songs, or new ways to play old songs, but when I saw that they changed the flags I started sobbing with joy. THIS is the U2 that I thought went away a decade ago. Now I see that they're still willing to experient and take huge chances. The crowd could have responded horribly and disowned their U2 fandom because the flags were changed, but they took that chance anyway.

Oh. My. Goodness. I'm going to listen to the entire U2 discography now including b-sides and rarities. My U2 obsession has been FULLY restored. It's stronger than ever BECAUSE they changed those FLAGS at the beginning of streets.

CRAP I love this band!

tommycharles said:

There's two theories on this, both are equally valid to me:

1) I Will Follow, Still Haven't Found, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet the Blue Sky, Pride, Streets, One, Until The End Of The World, Mysterious Ways, With Or Without You

All played the last time they were in Mexico. And I'm pretty sure it's the songs on that list that people would like to see replaced, not the stuff unique to this tour.

2) When the band plays new songs, they don't sleepwalk through them, and it's better for everyone involved.

I'm sorry dude but most of the song you listed are the songs that got me into U2 and therefore is the reason i'm so excited to go and see them. I can't wait to hear those songs live

shart1780 said:
Oh wow. New flags. Seriously, I was hoping for some new songs, or new ways to play old songs, but when I saw that they changed the flags I started sobbing with joy. THIS is the U2 that I thought went away a decade ago. Now I see that they're still willing to experient and take huge chances. The crowd could have responded horribly and disowned their U2 fandom because the flags were changed, but they took that chance anyway.

Oh. My. Goodness. I'm going to listen to the entire U2 discography now including b-sides and rarities. My U2 obsession has been FULLY restored. It's stronger than ever BECAUSE they changed those FLAGS at the beginning of streets.

CRAP I love this band!

see now this is what i call a "real" U2 fan. :wink:

shart1780 said:

CRAP I love this band!

LOL

Thank God for Bongo and the boys.

Back
Top Bottom