What is your best U2 live moment ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oceane

Refugee
For those of you who have seen U2 live before, is there a specific moment (during any show) that you will remember forever? Like a specific time when you felt everything was coming together, when you thought 'Wow, this is IT!' I'd love to hear your stories... it's going to put us in the mood for the tour!

I was just going through some reviews I had written for Wire during Elevation, and I found what I wrote about one specific moment during the second show in Toronto (May 25th). This moment was not only the ultimate U2 live moment for me, but probably the most intense 1 minute of my entire life.

Context: second night in Toronto, I'm on the floor and the show is beyond amazing already. U2 is supposed to go straight to Much Music after the show to do a 1 hour live interview and a lot of people are planning to go there too, although it seems unclear if they will let anyone inside the studio.

This is what I wrote right after that night.

It's the end of All I Want Is You, everybody is still singing the "YOUOUOUOU" and I know Streets is coming. I'm in near the tip of the heart, where there is a lot a space and you can see all around, the best spot to fully enjoy this song. The organ starts, I'm freaking out, so is everybody around and, I mean, the show is already beyond perfect and now here comes the ultimate moment. I know it's not very original, but I still think nothing can beat the beginning of Streets live... I mean, this moment is better than anything, this is exactly when 20 000 people agree on something, this is...better than anything that life can offer... So right when the drum starts and the lights are just about to go up, my friend comes up to me ( he had stayed at the front),gives me a wristband and tells me that it is the ticket to get INSIDE the studio at Much Music right after the show! How completly amazing is that? Talk about timing! The whole crowd is erupting, all the lights are up, people are jumping up and down and screaming around us, we're hysterical, sreaming and hugging each other, we see this guy behind us that we don't know but is also hysterical because he got a MuchMusic wristband too, we hug him too, my all time favourite band is playing Where the Streets Have No Name right in front of me, I know that I'll get to see them from very close just after the show, Bono is running around us singing "I want to run, I want to hide, I want to tear down the walls that hold me inside..."

This was, hands down, the greatest moment of my whole life.

And I'm not someone who says that every time something exciting happens to me. I actually had a pretty exciting life so far for a 21 year old girl but this... I've never felt so overwhelmed by happiness. I had trouble breathing through the rest of the song, I was crying and shaking... (and this is very unlike me, I'm very calm and rationnal).Wow. I still can't believe how perfect this moment was...

People from U2's managment had come into the heart to give wristbands for fans to get inside the studio with the band after the show. My friend had gotten the last one, but he asked the woman to please try to find another one because he wanted his friend (me) to go with him. She went backstage, found one last wristband and gave it to him. Then he came to look for me to tell me the good news just as Streets was starting...

:combust:

Last POPMart show in Foxboro, after the encore, Bono argues with the others about coming back out. He eventually walks out alone with his guitar and starts playing The Beatles' "Rain" by himself. The others soon come out to join him and finish out the song, half-assed but extremely entertaining.

If I'm not mistaken, it was raining for real as well. It was the last show of that leg, and Bono just wasn' t ready to leave yet.

Magic.

laz

Well, I was very lucky that my first U2 concert had Bad in the setlist. I was even more lucky that this very same concert had one of the greatest combos ever.

Bad/"40"/Streets - Vancouver. April 13, 2001. Those 12 minutes are a moment in my mind that I pray I remember to my dying days.

Heh, I remember that MuchMusic special.......probably the strongest televised interview they've ever given....

My greatest live moment hands down was in Tacoma on the first leg of Elevation. My brother-in-law and I were the first 2 people to walk into the arena and had a spot right under Bono's mic.

During SBS, Edge came front and center and just as he was finishinig up his solo, I spontaneously reached my hand up as high as I could and he reached down to grab it!!! Man, I could not believe it!!! I don't think I can top that one ever.

I could even feel the pick inside his clutched hand.

lazarus said:
Last POPMart show in Foxboro, after the encore, Bono argues with the others about coming back out. He eventually walks out alone with his guitar and starts playing The Beatles' "Rain" by himself. The others soon come out to join him and finish out the song, half-assed but extremely entertaining.

If I'm not mistaken, it was raining for real as well. It was the last show of that leg, and Bono just wasn' t ready to leave yet.

Magic.

laz

Classic!
:lmao:

I went to the opening night of Popmart in Las Vegas and I was so pumped to hear the Pop songs live, but most of all I wanted to hear "If God Will Send His Angels". I'm so glad I went as it was the only time that song was played by the entire band. Wasn't the greatest performance but it was the song I flew all the way from Texas at age 19 to see & hear live.

Also, Streets always gets me going. I don't care if you hate U2 or music in general, you don't have a soul if hearing "Where the Streets Have No Name" doesn't get you pumped up.

I've only been to one show (Tampa Elevation) but there was this moment at the end of "Angel of Harlem" - the band was great and the crowd was singing along word for word :) Then Bono stopped the band and let the crowd sing the last line. I still remember 20,000 people singing "Angel of Harrrrrrrrrrrrlem" perfectly in sync and having a "wow" moment. :hug:

yes, I've seen U2 the first time in 1992 in Lausanne for the ZOOTV tour and I was only 14 years old..... it was my first big concert and I stayed totally paralysed during Zoo Station..... I was so impressed by everything and by all the lights, the music was so loud and everyone was going nuts around me. It was 35 degrees and I needed at least 10 minutes to stop feeling like I was dreaming...... then I started jumping around and screaming to finally end up the concert 2 hours later without my shirt and totally wet!!!!
My mother asked me if it was U2 that I had just seen or Guns n' roses!!! It was the best time of my life.....

Since then, I've seen U2 in 93, 2x in 97 and in 2001.....but the best time was during Zoo Station in 92...... it's when I became a total fanatic and when I understood that nothing else can top U2 live.....:sad:

Two mainly come to mind.

Edge doing Sunday Bloody Sunday solo at Seattle Popmart.

The intro to The Fly during Elevation in Charlotte.

Theres many more but those two stand out.

Holding up Bono twice during Elevation, Toronto and Buffalo, Buffalo I actually have pictures of him, his face right above me singing while I'm hoisting him up ! The best ever !!!

Best moment for me..October 30, 1992, ZooTv Tour, Dodger Stadium

It was my 18th birthday, it was raining, and me and 5 other friends had tickets to their show. The Sugarcubes and Public Enemy were opening, and we had crappy seats, nosebleed, top section on the side (Edge's side). As we entered our section there was a guy from U2's management offering a ticket trade. He had a wad of tickets to hand out for floor seats (back then you had assigned seating on the floor), and it just so happens the next tickets he had in his hand were front row center. So we ran down to the floor, and were taken to our great seats. And when I turned around the girls who were given tickets before us were seated 3 rows back. We were definitely lucky!!

So needless to say that was the best U2 live moment for me! The best birthday of my life!

The 1st leg of the Zoo TV tour. When ticket sales were announced I had decided to go into the office so that I would be able to speed and double dial for tickets. By some complete fluke, both lines immediately got through and I got floor tickets to both nights at the Los Angeles Sports Arena.

Arriving early that night...my friend and I walk in to find that are seats were in the first row in front of the small stage.

There were so many moments that 1st night but the best and greatest U2 memory that I have is this:

Holding up and grasping the hand of Bono as he leaned out over us while sing Until The End of the World. Just incredible.

:wink:

Oceane - Streets is defintely a highlight, but for me it has to be the Outside Broadcast tour - I saw it at Roundhay Park in Leeds.

They play a snippet of 'The First Time' and then launch into a blistering version of 'Bullet The Blue Sky' - the accompanying footage on the screens made this the absolute all time concert highlight for me - I've been to 250+ gigs and that moment will never be surpassed.

Glasgow Tiffanys about 1981, place was packed about 500 in, I managed to half jump up on stage and hit Adams bass, this awful noise came out, but as I looked around afterwards for some plaudits, I saw a girl from my school laughing in the balcony she was hot, anyway being the shy retiring type this broke the ice for me, good times indeed.......................:sexywink:

My moment was a Streets moment as well. Boston, June 6, 2001. I was standing at the tip of the heart. Bad flowed into 40 and the air was electric. Bono stood right above us and as the Edge's guitar chimed the first note of streets I felt as if champagne was running through my veins. In the next couple of moments I had an epiphany about my life. I was overwhelmed with a wave of gratitude for all of the amazing gifts I've been given, health, family, friends, education, freedom, opportunity, etc., etc.

But the thing that blew me away is that I live such a blessed life that here I was, standing 2 feet away from Bono, not just in the house, but at the front of the house for the second night in a row. It was a true luxury. And then Bono says "What can I give back to God for the blessings he poured out on me? I lift high the cup of salvation as a toast to our father. To follow through on the promise I made to you." I freaked out. I couldn't believe that he just said what was flowing through my heart and soul.

Of course then the lights came up and I was brought to tears by the sight of the whole arena, arms raised all united in this celebration.

I'm afraid it's difficult to truly convey what that moment meant to me or what it felt like. But in that moment, I was given the gift of gratitude. I've always been a positive person, but since then I feel as though I've been walking on air. My life is truly a gift. Amazing what a little live music can do for you!

Well, I guess I will age myself here:

September 14th 1987 Giants Stadium.

Absolute top row of the upper tier.

The entire football field was general admission with no seats. It looked like a sea of humanity.

The band plays One Tree Hill for the first time (I am pretty sure) live. A bunch of people around the top ring of the stadium start making torches out of whatever they could pull together, but mostly T-shirts.

The top ring of the stadium looked like a ring of fire durig One Tree Hill, I do not even know how to explain what that moment was like...

ouizy said:
A bunch of people around the top ring of the stadium start making torches out of whatever they could pull together, but mostly T-shirts.

The top ring of the stadium looked like a ring of fire durig One Tree Hill, I do not even know how to explain what that moment was like...

Oh, how times have changed. Nowadays those people would all be wrestled to the ground by security and arrested.

<sigh>

laz

Opening and closing of the JT Tour in Tempe - 4 shows in one year in my backyard - it was a dream come true

And when they played "In God's Country" at the Nov. 2001 Phx Elevation show. It was incredible - like being reunited with an old friend after many years.

Also at the Nov. 2001 PHX Elevation show - I'll never forget yelling out "DAVE!!" as the Edge was making his way out to the tip of the heart for the acoustic set. He looked straight over at me with a "WTF - Who's calling me Dave" kinda smile.

It was classic. I must've looked like a complete nutter waving my hands around and all........

It's hard to choose but my most memorable is probably 'Love Comes To Town' tour. Went from the UK to Germany and the whole trip was brilliant. BB King supported and then they started with 'I Will Follow'. We bounced from the back of the arena to the front and ended up right in front of Bono. My mate passed out and we met back on the coach afterwards. That whole gig was amazing - it was like being in the Ruttle & Hum movie.

A close second is standing half way up the hill during Slane (25th Aug) and the lights bursting on bright red at the start of Streets and watching the crowd go absolutely mental. Sends shivers down my spine still. I have a photo I took while jumping up and down of the crowd and everyone is singing and going nuts and just looks so happy.

I love this band - every gig is an awesome experience.

Oct 27, 2001....MSG about 5 weeks following 9/11....the city is in turmoil, everybody and I mean everybody knows somebody directly effected by the tragedy and it's a lowpoint in NYC as well as all of America.

I was a block from the towers on that terrible day.

Anyway in rolls U2 and their crowd as always has plenty of cops and fireman present.

They proceed to bring up a slew of firemen and EMT workers who drape ameican flags and join the band for the encore.

The energy and emotion is unmatched by anything I'd ever seen.It was a healing process in a way and this helped bring NYer's back to their feet a bit.

The night was so incredible that it inspired Bono to write COBL.

I can't see anything ever approaching the magnitude of what this night brought.

My best U2 live moment was during the Zooropa Tour at Parkhead, Glasgow, in 1993.

I was standing with my arms around a friend as Bono sings Elvis Presley's "Can't help falling in love" in a beautiful falsetto.

A few weeks before having made a silly mistake, this friend of mine was literally dying in my arms. Now here she was, very much alive and holding on to me like her life depended on it. Both of us with tears running down our faces.

Ironically I had split up with my girlfriend not long beforehand, so I gave my friend the extra ticket to hopefully, bring a little happiness back into her life.

Sadness, wonderment and joy all rolled into one emotional moment. I'll never forget that as long as I live.

JR#9 said:
Oct 27, 2001....MSG about 5 weeks following 9/11....the city is in turmoil, everybody and I mean everybody knows somebody directly effected by the tragedy and it's a lowpoint in NYC as well as all of America.

I was a block from the towers on that terrible day.

Anyway in rolls U2 and their crowd as always has plenty of cops and fireman present.

They proceed to bring up a slew of firemen and EMT workers who drape ameican flags and join the band for the encore.

The energy and emotion is unmatched by anything I'd ever seen.It was a healing process in a way and this helped bring NYer's back to their feet a bit.

The night was so incredible that it inspired Bono to write COBL.

I can't see anything ever approaching the magnitude of what this night brought.

I too was a block away - and I too was at that show - great show...

I was walking in Washington Square Park on the way to proctor a test at NYU when the first plane whacked the 1st tower.

Yeah, October 2001 @ MSG when they played One and all of the 9/11 victims names were scrolling on the screen. Talk about the most moving experience ever....because you realize how many people perished that day and each and everyone of those victims had 100s of people who loved them and miss them....You then realize the magnitude of that day and the MANY people who suffer w/o their loved ones. Myself included.

Only U2 can do something like that and do it well.

Because I'm pedantic ...

ouizy said:
The band plays One Tree Hill for the first time (I am pretty sure) live.

Actually, that was the fourth performance. The first was on 10 September 1987.

I'm loving reading these stories. I can't wait to be able to come back to this thread in just over three months and tell some of my own.

Back
Top Bottom