What is your best U2 live moment ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In regards to the post 9/11 nyc shows, the one I was at I had seats sort of behind the stage. when the names scroll went up it was actually projecting on my shirt at some poisnts-very eerie and powerful....

Just nothing wille ver top the first leg Joshua Tree show at the meadowlands arena. NO special particular moment--just the first time I saw U2 and an unbelieveably good show....

Oh and aslo arriving in Brooklyn for the surprise gig to find nothing between me and the stage was amazing..Unfortunately I ended up getting moved... :(

28th August 1993 RDS Dublin

I was at the barrier, in front of the mini stage, where they played the acoustic set. There was a full moon in the cloudless sky as they played.

Unforgettable Fire Tour

Bono introduces his dad who is standing at the soundboard. It's his first time in the states. It was very cool. I was 16.

Or

Everytime they opened with ZOO STATION.

1985 ish.
Conspiracy of Hope Tour
Row 3, McNichols Arena, Denver

Acoustic start to SBS, then full band rocking on SBS.

Boulder
The night after Red Rocks
Bono comes into the crowd, up the aisle -- like five feet from us and is singing 'send in the clowns'

KC Elevation
Bad to When I Look At The World -- great stuff.

Those three stand out -- oh, and sleeping the whole way home from PopMart Kansas City while my girlfriend and buddy got stuck driving -- we got home at 3 AM, and they never let me foget that moment.

Earl's Court , London 21st August 2001

The emotion involved made you feel as if you were helping Bono through his pain. To play hours after your dad has died is brave. It felt as if the whole audience was giving bono a massive hug that night.

Slane Castle 25th August 2001

Always dreamed of seeing U2 at Slane since 1984. Finally got there and once more an emotional gig for Bono. Although the later one made it into dvd this one also had some magical moments

Paris 17th July 2001/ London 19th August

Brilliant gigs. 5 yards away from Bono:drool:

all of my U2 moments have been brilliant, but here's my best one:

providence. larry's birthday, 2001. the whole gig in general was amazing, but...

three of my friends and i made a scrapbook (basically one of my friends did the whole thing and the rest of us wrote letters to the band that we put inside) before the gig. we camped out so we could be way up front, so we could give them the scrapbook. and, we did!!! during the gig, bono took the scrapbook from my friend and looked at it on stage and even said thank you. it was the best moment ever!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

also, the whole crowd chanting 'let larry sing' - and when the band sang to larry and gave him a cake on stage. then, of course, when larry made a little speech!!!

i'm so excited for boston in may!

3 come to mind for me.

San Diego Zoo – Indoor. I got myself to the front of the B stage for the acoustic set and managed to catch Bono’s eye as they finished. I held up my hand and shouted ‘Bono, I just want to shake your hand’. He bent down and shook it. Not one of those ‘high 5’s’ to everybody like so many bands do, just one, good, firm handshake. Then he stared walking back to the main stage.

San Diego Zoo – Outdoor. A local radio station held a wedding in the parking lot before the show. Bono bought the bride and groom onto the catwalk for ‘Trying to throw your arms around the world’, put one at one end, one at the other then had them run to each other during the last chorus. Then he soaked them both with a bottle of champagne.

Las Vegas – Elevation. I made a sign saying ‘Kate flew from Australia to dance with Bono’ for a friend. Bono saw it and dedicated Stuck to us. On the audio boot you can hear Bono say ‘That’s for you and Kate’ just after. All 3 cam’s missed it though. The screen is blank for that part on the DVD. But it’s all good.

Mine happened at my first Elevation in March, 2001, in Atlanta. I was in the back of the GA section. Bono jumped off of the stage during "The Fly" and started running like he was going for the gold in the Olympic 100 meter dash. Security was after him, of course. He damn near run into me, he would have if I hadn't stepped aside to pick up a great big Coke to take a sip as I was very thirsty. I saw a heck of a commotion going on maybe 2 yards away from me. I didn't realize it was Bono until after security had grabbed him and started taking him back to the stage. I was shocked, and happy as heck, of course. I never thought I'd be that close to the greatest rock star on the planet! I didn't come down from that for months.

Edgey said:
My moment was a Streets moment as well. Boston, June 6, 2001. I was standing at the tip of the heart. Bad flowed into 40 and the air was electric. Bono stood right above us and as the Edge's guitar chimed the first note of streets I felt as if champagne was running through my veins. In the next couple of moments I had an epiphany about my life. I was overwhelmed with a wave of gratitude for all of the amazing gifts I've been given, health, family, friends, education, freedom, opportunity, etc., etc.

But the thing that blew me away is that I live such a blessed life that here I was, standing 2 feet away from Bono, not just in the house, but at the front of the house for the second night in a row. It was a true luxury. And then Bono says "What can I give back to God for the blessings he poured out on me? I lift high the cup of salvation as a toast to our father. To follow through on the promise I made to you." I freaked out. I couldn't believe that he just said what was flowing through my heart and soul.

Of course then the lights came up and I was brought to tears by the sight of the whole arena, arms raised all united in this celebration.

I'm afraid it's difficult to truly convey what that moment meant to me or what it felt like. But in that moment, I was given the gift of gratitude. I've always been a positive person, but since then I feel as though I've been walking on air. My life is truly a gift. Amazing what a little live music can do for you!

The part where the house lights come on is the best part of the Boston DVD! I've got champagne running through my veins reading your memory! :heart:

I was there that night too and was really lucky to have a ticket to be there. :)

October 30, 2001 Elevation - Providence, RI

Bono sang a verse of "Bad" to my daughter. Then he left the stage, climbed the pushed in LOGE seats and hopped in front of her. He couldn't stay in the crowd, but hopped back over and sang with his feet perched in the pushed in seats and holding on to the rail. He kissed her hand, and she kissed his. Then he asked my daughter her name. Suddenly, the microphone was in front of her and she said "I Love You". He then said a prayer

"I want to make a prayer,
just want to make a prayer -
that these times that we’re living in,
that they pass quickly,
and we get onto the next chapter of our lives
where America and Europe is safe
and where the rest of the world
is not living on less than a dollar a day,
That's our prayer... "

Then he went into "40" and slowly climbed down and was back on stage to start "Streets".

Our seats were behind the stage, and the screens went up and I sat down for a minute with my daughter on my lap holding her. It was unbelievable!

Attachments

• cap231.jpg
    cap231.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 56
Wow, I'm getting chills just reading these stories... BostonAnne, that picture of Bono holding your daughter's hand is really amazing, the look in his eyes is just so... honest and real.

I can't wait until many more stories come up during the Vertigo Tour! I remember a bit before the Elevation Tour 4 years ago, I was so excited to see the band live, and I knew I was going to see more than one show, but I could NEVER have imagined all the amazing adventures and emotions I was going to go through... It was about a hundred times better than what i had imagined.

I'm ready for more!:happy:

Last edited:
Could somebody put Anne's pictures on the web somewhere? I can't see them because I'm not a premium member. =/

My grestest U2 live moment came in 92 during the zoo tour...i was at jack trice stadium in ames iowa watching this incredible mindblowing combo of sight and sound...the lights, the towers, the mega screen, flying cars...it was a beautiful october night and there was a Huge harvest moon over the stadium...right after the band played end of the world the lights went down with just one spot on Bono...he looked up at the moon and said "there's nothing we have that can beat that(referring to the moon) and then began singing "johnny take a walk with your sister the moon". i thought i had died and gone to heaven it was so awesome. i will never forget that night!:faint:

knox said:
Could somebody put Anne's pictures on the web somewhere? I can't see them because I'm not a premium member. =/

The first photo was a video capture and is included in here:
http://home.comcast.net/~cimon254/U2Exp.htm

Bono_Nicole01.JPG

oceane said:
Wow, I'm getting chills just reading these stories... BostonAnne, that picture of Bono holding your daughter's hand is really amazing, the look in his eyes is just so... honest and real.

I was totally mesmerized watching Bono interact with my daughter! I was also blown away by the prayer - which at first I thought he said to/for my daughter. I have been on some sort of spiritual journey since that night.

Wow, these are all really great stories... Thanks for sharing them!

My friend and I have tickets to the L.A. 4.6 show and it's the first U2 show (ever) for both of us (we're so excited!) and I can only hope I come away with a story half as great as these!!!!!

My 5 favorite U2 concert moments:

1. Seeing Bono come on stage at my first show - first song 11 O'clock Tick Tock - 3/5/85

2. Bono holding the mike out to me during the "No More" part of Sunday Bloody Sunday - 4/17/87

3. Bono singing Redemption Song - 10/31/92

4. Bono impromptuly singing All I Want Is You - 6/19/97

5. The whole 2nd show at San Jose Elevation Tour - 4/20/01

There is nothing like the thrill of seeing your first U2 show, but nothing can beat the show on 4/20/01 at San Jose. They premiered Kite and Stay (Faraway, So Close) and then the girl who got onstage and danced during Mysterious Ways!!! Does anyone remember that!! Wow.....:drool:

There is nothing like the thrill of seeing your first U2 show, but nothing can beat the show on 4/20/01 at San Jose. They premiered Kite and Stay (Faraway, So Close) and then the girl who got onstage and danced during Mysterious Ways!!! Does anyone remember that!! Wow.....:drool: [/B]

Yep, I was there on the floor

BostonAnne said:

Bono sang a verse of "Bad" to my daughter. Then he left the stage, climbed the pushed in LOGE seats and hopped in front of her. He couldn't stay in the crowd, but hopped back over and sang with his feet perched in the pushed in seats and holding on to the rail. He kissed her hand, and she kissed his. Then he asked my daughter her name. Suddenly, the microphone was in front of her and she said "I Love You". He then said a prayer

BostonAnne, I was at that show as well and I was blown away by that moment. I remember when you first posted about it here. Incredible! Only Bono could ever create so many different and special moments:happy:

Will your daughter be going to any shows with you this time around?

BostonAnne said:

I was totally mesmerized watching Bono interact with my daughter! I was also blown away by the prayer - which at first I thought he said to/for my daughter. I have been on some sort of spiritual journey since that night.

I've definitely been on "some sort of spiritual journey" since my June 6, 2001 show as well. My soul has been nourished in a way that it never was before.

Edgey said:
BostonAnne said:

BostonAnne, I was at that show as well and I was blown away by that moment. I remember when you first posted about it here. Incredible! Only Bono could ever create so many different and special moments:happy:

Will your daughter be going to any shows with you this time around?

Yes, we are going to Boston 1. :) As with the majority of fans, I couldn't get GA tickets during the presale and switched to anything. We are going to be in LOGE 4. I plan on getting in town early and saying "hi" to some folks I'll know in the GA line. I also plan on helping the AWF crew with whatever they need.

I still hoping to run into the ticket fairy for Boston 2 and 3. :)

It's amazing that a rock concert can be a life-altering event! I definitely understand what Bono means when he says "the Spirit’s in the House". :D

Last edited:
I wrote this in my journal in November 1992, right after my first U2 concert...Zoo TV in Vegas. I didn't think much of U2 until this concert...I have been a die-hard fan ever since.

When we went in, the Sugar cubes were performing the opening act. Our seats were way at the back of the stadium, but we had a plan of how to get onto the floor. We did have 2 floor tickets, so 2 would go on the floor, then 1 come up and get someone else, and keep doing it until everyone was down. We ran onto a problem, though. They stamp the ticket and your hand when you go down! We had to get onto the floor, but security guards were at every staircase that went down. We got an idea. There were port-a-poties lined up on the floor, right in a good place to jump on them and jump down onto the floor. We had to try it.

Ben tried. He jumped over the railing and onto the top of the port-a-potty. He should have got on it carefully instead of jumping on it, because when he landed on it, the roof fell through! Me, my room mate, and Dan were sitting on the front row, right by ben. We started laughing SO SO SO SO hard! That is the funniest thing I have ever seen in my life. He still had a hold of the railing, so with all the adrenaline, he quickly got back over the railing and ran into the crowd. Afterwards, he said he heard a scream, so there might have been someone in it! I could not stop laughing. I hurt so bad from laughing! Ben was laughing hard, too. Matt decided to just jump straight onto the floor while no guards were looking. He made it! We did the same.

About a half hour before the concert, we were on the floor! We were proud of ourselves. We walked around for a while, and found some seats that weren't taken pretty close to the front. Then the moment came. The lights went off and the music started. There was Bono, Edge, Larry, and Adam. Chills went down my spine. The stage was amazing! It took 50 semi trucks to transport it. After Zoo Station, the first song, some people came, and Ben and I were in their seats. We went to the back and got some pizza, then walked up one of the isles. The stage had a little catwalk that went way out into the crowd, and there was a mini-stage at the end of the catwalk. The isle we walked up went right to that mini-stage! We walked up to where we were about 5-10 feet from it, and that's where we stayed the whole rest of the concert!

Right after we got there, the whole band moved out onto the little stage and played about 6 songs, including "Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World," one of my favorites. It was SO dang awesome. There was Bono, about 10 feet in front of me, singing these awesome songs. I didn't ever want the concert to end Towards the end, during "With or Without you," a kid got up on the stage and started running toward Bono. Security guards tackled him. When he got up, I saw his face. It was Jeff, my roommate's brother!!! I couldn't believe it. Bono said (into the microphone) "Security off the stage! Never get on a U2 stage! This is my stage. This man belongs here, you don't. So security got off and Jeff stayed up and talked to Bono for a second. What he said is "Remember me from D.C.?" It was totally rad. The great and awesome concert finally ended.

We went out to the parking lot, where Jeff was waiting. They had kicked him out. He said he was dang glad he did it, though. One of the people in our group recorded the whole concert, including the part where Bono told security to get off the stage. Jeff loved that part! He told us that the security guards tackled him and his knee jammed right into the rail that the camera moved back and forth on and really hurt. Then he looked up and saw this big silver guy (Bono had his silver cowboy suit on) reaching out to help him up. At an earlier concery in DC, Jeff had got up on the stage and Bono told security to leave him alone, then he told Jeff to pick him up.

Last edited:
:happy: I can never forget seeing u2 at wembley stadium for the joshua tree tour.the band ended the set with 40 which was amazing as the whole crowd sang along but what was even more amazing was as you walked outside of the fantastic stadium was to here all the fans continuing to sinfg the song as they made there way to their cars,coaches etc......what a day!

Got into U2 when I was 7 when I stole my sisters copy of Joshua Tree. Watching Rattle and Hum really got me into the lads huge from "Bad/Ruby Tuesday/Sympathy for the Devil" upto With or Without You which included Bono adding in the following:

"Yeah, we'll shine like stars in the summer night, we'll shine like stars in the winter night.....one heart, one hope, one love with or without you......."

Always loved that line. Saw the in concert many times over and had dozens of U2 bootlegs and never heard him add that line in. I was lucky enough to go to Slane II (9/1/2001) and sure enough he added it in. Not to sound lame, but thats when I knew that I was destined to be at that show and that I love the band to no end. May can't come soon enough!

These posts are amazing. Edgey, yours made me cry :sad: I know *just* what you mean...something about the opening of "Streets" that just makes you feel awe-inspired and connected to the rest of the world in a very profound way.

BostonAnne, I hardly know what to say. WOW!

I saw the band in Texas, 1983--didn't have a spiritual moment but when I heard An Cat Dubh I about fainted (I was young and impressionable).

1985 in Dallas, "Sunday, Bloody Sunday" gave me chills and motivated me to learn the history behind the song. A Sort of Homecoming equally amazing.

I missed tours in the 90's thanks to graduate school :(

I love reading all these threads, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom