What does the band do while the stage is being set up - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > General Tour Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2005, 09:49 PM   #16
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Halup
They also use Mexico for the exact same reason.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. The past few months, Bono has shown he definitely has a thing for Mexican chicks.

Old 12-17-2005, 11:45 AM   #17
War Child

I wish they had stayed in Detroit...would have been fun to hunt them down hahaha

that sounds bad

Old 12-17-2005, 02:30 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by westendgirl
That's because he lives there.
I know Edge lives in the L.A. area. My point was that while the other 3 are staying out of the country in Mexico to avoid taxes, Edge is not doing the same. He apparently has placed his family ahead of his saving money on taxes. The other 3 guys live in New York, yet as an earlier posted noted, have been spending time in Toronto to avoid taxes instead of staying at their New York area homes.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:13 PM   #19
Acrobat

edge has a house in malibu bono an apartment in ny. i dont think larry & adam have places in the usa. they easily favor ireland & france to spend most of their regular lives.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:28 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Where was their base for the Seattle/Vancouver shows in April?

u2fp
Old 12-17-2005, 05:39 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 09:01 AM
Quote:

I know Edge lives in the L.A. area. My point was that while the other 3 are staying out of the country in Mexico to avoid taxes, Edge is not doing the same. He apparently has placed his family ahead of his saving money on taxes. The other 3 guys live in New York, yet as an earlier posted noted, have been spending time in Toronto to avoid taxes instead of staying at their New York area homes.
I believe you have to pay taxes to the state your house is in whether you live in it or not. A homeowner pays property taxes. My guess is that Mexico is warm, since we have been freezing here in NY.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:54 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

and I know for a fact Bono stayed in NYC when they were here. His local deli (which actually serves the best sandwiches in NYC) has a picture of him sitting in a front table by the window munching on a bacon egg and cheese.

I am not kidding.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:01 PM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ouizy
...munching on a bacon egg and cheese.

Damn, you're making me hungry.

And worried.

Bono drinks too much, smokes too much and now we find out that he eats cholesterol-laden sandwiches.

I'm jealous
Old 12-17-2005, 06:19 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:01 AM
Can somone explain the tax advantage in sleeping in Canada for a night over USA, I'm intrigued?
Old 12-17-2005, 08:01 PM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by ouizy
and I know for a fact Bono stayed in NYC when they were here. His local deli (which actually serves the best sandwiches in NYC) has a picture of him sitting in a front table by the window munching on a bacon egg and cheese.

I am not kidding.
your post inspired me to get a pizza with bacon on it
Old 12-17-2005, 09:19 PM   #26
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by mucho traffico
edge has a house in malibu bono an apartment in ny. i dont think larry & adam have places in the usa. they easily favor ireland & france to spend most of their regular lives.
Larry has a place in New York state a little bit outside of NYC. Reports filtered out on the Elevation tour that he had bought a home there. Adam was known to have an apartment in New York City in the mid 1990s and from what i have heard, which could be wrong, he still has it.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:32 PM   #27
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by kassandra

I believe you have to pay taxes to the state your house is in whether you live in it or not. A homeowner pays property taxes. My guess is that Mexico is warm, since we have been freezing here in NY.
You would pay property taxes on your home, regardless of where it is or whether you spend time there. The reason U2 was spending a lot of time outside the US while on tour in the US was to cut down on the income taxes they would pay, which has nothing to do with the property taxes.

I'm under the impression that most of this was happening on the first leg and not so much on the third leg. During the first leg, for the shows in the southwest, after almost every show they flew to Mexico afterwards. For the Northeast shows, they flew to Toronto. I belive this came about after the tour expanded.

Remember, the tour itinerary, as was leaked a year ago had the third leg lasting only until about November 12, with Japan in late November and Australia in early to mid December. They added an additional 5 weeks of North American shows lasting until December 19th. The illness in the edge's family is what caused the tour to be rerouted witht he first leg as we saw it being a little shorter than originally was planned. They picked up the lost dates on the third leg plus added several extra weeks in the U.S. I'm no expert on tax law, but I believe these additional weeks of working in the US was the reason the band decided to spend nights outside of the U.S. while on tour to save on additional taxes. The Edge did not do this to nearly the extent of the other 3. I believe he wanted to stay at home with his family in Malibu to spend time with morleigh and the kids as they attended school in the L.A. area, but due to this, he did not take advantage of all the tax savings the other 3 were getting.

I know for the third leg they stayed in L.A. but on the first leg, they flew back to Mexico after every show except Staples Center 1, because the following day Bono had meetings for DATA and the press conference for Edun. Even when they played 2 straight nights in Anaheim, they left the arena immediately after the show and flew to Mexico, only to return the next afternoon.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:26 PM   #28
The Fly

since they are all most likely not US citizens.. probably legal "aliens" or something.. i am sure they have to pay some sort of an income tax.. and depending on time they spend in the U.S relates to how much they owe. Since being on the road is "working".. they can claim tey were "working" in mexico and canada to avoid some taxes. we are talking big bucks here...

whats the name of the deli with the bono picture btw?
also.. i know they have places in NY but does Bono spend most of his time in NY or is it spent in Europe?

thanks
Old 12-17-2005, 11:31 PM   #29
Refugee

Quote:

You would pay property taxes on your home, regardless of where it is or whether you spend time there. The reason U2 was spending a lot of time outside the US while on tour in the US was to cut down on the income taxes they would pay, which has nothing to do with the property taxes.

I worked in NYC and lived on Long Island. I had to pay NYC taxes and got reinbursed because of where I lived. I am sure that is what the band does. Again I am pretty sure it has to do with weather. Also, when they played in NY I am sure they stayed in NY.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:43 PM   #30
Acrobat

I am pretty sure they stayed in Miami when they came down here...