Well we still don't know if they're playing stadiums... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > General Tour Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2004, 06:31 PM   #31
Babyface

Local Time: 09:07 PM
Hah. No... I don't know the Edge's cousin.

Old 05-18-2004, 06:54 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
Exactly. Remember in Flanagan's book, how hard it was for them to stop the tour for a while?
That's right.

Quote:
Originally posted by Road Whore
it does tend to "kill the touring feel" a bit
Then what's the point of touring?

Old 05-18-2004, 07:04 PM   #33
Babyface

Ummm... To play live in front of capacity crowds in many major cities around the world and make lots of money for the band, the label and the producers?

I dunno... call me crazy... I always thought that was the point.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:09 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Road Whore
Ummm... To play live in front of capacity crowds in many major cities around the world and make lots of money for the band, the label and the producers?

I dunno... call me crazy... I always thought that was the point.
But if they're not 100% into it, if they have to readjust every time they come back then to me there's no point. In every tour, the beginning is always a bit bumpy for the band, they're still trying to get into it, and the cool thing about it is that at the end of the tour they are really tight, with the best set lists and are playing better than ever. I'm afraid every time they come back it will feel like they're starting all over again, that's all. To me that wouldn’t be fun.

The label gets money out of the band's touring? I thought they didn't. And what do they care if producers are getting their money?
Old 05-18-2004, 09:38 PM   #35
She's the One

Local Time: 02:07 PM
It's pointless to argue with this guy.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:05 PM   #36
Babyface

To which guy are you referring? Me or Mr. Fly?
Old 05-18-2004, 10:55 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Mr. Fly? I like it.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:15 AM   #38
She's the One

It's pointless to argue with the new guy. He thinks he knows stuff we don't know.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:56 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I actually doubt that U2 would do a warm up tour of Arena's in the USA and then return to those same markets in the fall and play stadiums, unless they were very careful and played only single shows. Playing multiple arena dates even in large cities at TOP Ticket prices, would hurt sales in that market months later for a Stadium show.

The Arena shows in 1992 were usually single dates and were not at TOP ticket prices. The band came back in the fall and charged about the same price in the Stadiums which in today's market are usually much cheaper because of the greater supply of seats.

If U2 are contemplating playing Stadiums in the USA, there are 11 markets that are good to go regardless of the success of the next album: They are:

New York City
Chicago
Boston
Los Angeles
Philadelphia
Washington DC
Miami
San Francisco
Dallas
Atlanta
Detroit

These are the 11 strongest markest for U2 in the USA ranked in order. I realize Boston might be the strongest if this was based on per capita demand for tickets in each city. Also, some markets can become stronger or weaker depending on whether neighboring markets get shows or not. Columbus Ohio was actually one of POPMARTS strongest markets in the USA because shows were not played in Indiana, Kentucky and other cities in Ohio.

If U2 do a stadium tour, I could see the band coming to the USA for only Arena's in the Spring, but avoiding playing any of the above 11 markets saving them for the Summer/Fall.

The Joshua Tree tour was actually both Stadiums and Arena's. In fact, even on the fall "Stadium" Tour, there were more shows in Arena's than Stadiums.

So, the tour is more likely to resemble the Joshua Tree than anything else. It would be cool if they did the Rolling Stone style on the last tour with Stadium/Arena/Theater in all the big markets.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:24 AM   #40
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
If U2 are contemplating playing Stadiums in the USA, there are 11 markets that are good to go regardless of the success of the next album: They are:

New York City

But of all the things that anybody really "knows," the one thing that we have the most information about is NYC. Right now it appears that they'll play Madison Square Garden, not any one of the stadiums in NYC. That kind of blows the whole "major market" stadium theory. Now I realize that changing one's mind is a rock star perogative, but the auctioning of concert tickets for a charity does sort of commit one to following through. So it looks as if the Garden is a go right now.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:15 AM   #41
Jim
Refugee

Local Time: 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
It's pointless to argue with the new guy. He thinks he knows stuff we don't know.
Give him a break..it's not difficult find bits if information if you are in the right place at the right time. All this 'Edge's cousin' stuff is boring and to suggest that anybody who has 'information' is a liar is damn rude.

I took the time last year to report to these pages news on the new album from a conversation that I had with Paul McGuinness and I had enough 'Edge's cousin's brother' comments and snide little responses (for which the undertones suggested that I was making it up) to make sure that I won't bother in future.

Sure there will always be bullshitters out there, but give people the benefit of the doubt rather than throwing your toys out of the pram anytime somebody suggests they have 'insider' news!
Old 05-20-2004, 11:44 AM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
[B

New York City
Chicago
Boston
Los Angeles
Philadelphia
Washington DC
Miami
San Francisco
Dallas
Atlanta
Detroit

[/B]
This is very true. If Elevation's statistics are anything to go by, I also think they could perform well in Denver, Phoenix and somewhere in upstate New York (Buffalo or Albany). A stadium show in Pittsburgh is not out of the question. Maybe they could do a stadium show in Charlotte, NC to nail down the NC,SC,VA markets. That stadium in Salt Lake City the did on Popmart only held 30,000 at capacity, so I think that one might be doable.

The Popmart tour did do well in Columbus (I was there!), it was one of the highest attended concerts of the American tour. It was the only concert closeby, however. ON Elevation, we had shows in Cleveland, Columbus, Indianapolis, and Lexington. This wasn't good for sales. The Columbus arena show barely sold out. So maybe one stadium show in this area is the ticket for U2.

Of course the North American stadium tour would also have Canada included, which they could do all stadiums and all would sell out.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:17 PM   #43
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
Give him a break..it's not difficult find bits if information if you are in the right place at the right time. All this 'Edge's cousin' stuff is boring and to suggest that anybody who has 'information' is a liar is damn rude.
That is true. However, when you're suddenly suggesting stuff and you cannot say what your sources are, it's logical people get suspective. How did this person get this information? Why can't he name the source? Just asking us to 'trust him' ain't gonna work. If that is the case, then I'm running to the shop right now to buy Solar. And Expect Nothing... And Born Again. And I'm going to listen to my bootleg of the Amsterdam 2002 concert again.

Quote:
I took the time last year to report to these pages news on the new album from a conversation that I had with Paul McGuinness and I had enough 'Edge's cousin's brother' comments and snide little responses (for which the undertones suggested that I was making it up) to make sure that I won't bother in future.
I'm sorry that this had happened. Although I can't remember that far (happens to me all the time), I can imagine the situation. Some people only like to believe their own imagination and if somebody giving them information, even if it's from a named source like Paul McGuinness, will cause those 'friend of Edge's cousin brother' comments. This does not mean that others don't appreciate this kind of information. It's probably more trustworthy than the info coming straight out of Bono's mouth.

Quote:
Sure there will always be bullshitters out there, but give people the benefit of the doubt rather than throwing your toys out of the pram anytime somebody suggests they have 'insider' news!
Sorry, but I've heard too many bullshitters to give 'unnamed sources which I cannot disclose at the moment' the benefit of the doubt. Say where the information is from, or keep your mouth shut.

C ya!

Marty
Old 05-20-2004, 12:19 PM   #44
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim

Old 05-20-2004, 12:31 PM   #45
Babyface

yea

stop making jokes about the edge's cousin! it's childish and sad!

sincerly
the edge's cousin