Vote up or down on having a GA Lottery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote up or down for having a GA Lottery system

• up / yes

Votes: 143 40.1%
  • down / no

Votes: 214 59.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
HappyFatBono said:
Shouldn't it be more like this?

If I get choosen to be in the ellipse :up: (I love this system!)

If I get denied to be in the ellipse :down: (This system sucks!)

:crack:

I think that will be the way I decide too:giggle:

:down: I'm sorry I voted yes but I ment to vote no. Anyways I've always thought first come first serve is the most fair way to do it. My ticket actually scanned Vertigo but still it doesn't change my opinion. I was there early enough to get in the elipse(numbers wise) so had my ticket not scanned I would have been seriously annoyed. Sorry for the discussion.

Last edited:
Holy crap this is an old thread. I just read my old responses. The first one saying the idea sucks but then a few posts later I had another response which pointed out the pros of not doing it first come first serve. Either way i still think first come first serve is best. Those who claim that even the most diehard fans have real life comitments that won't allow for them to stand in line al day is a crock. We all know months in advance when the show is going to happen. Book that day off. I'm making no apologies anymore for discussing it. The thread is too damn old(what was it doing up front?) and I have to share my feelings:laugh:

I prefer the current system. There's no way I could have been to most of the Chicago shows early enough to get into the ellipse, and the same is true for many people. This keeps it fair for everyone (don't say it's not fair to those that camp out early -- they don't have to!), and it prevents the same people from being in the ellipse each night.

*cough* With that said, I've been in the ellipse 4 times in a row, so uh... I might be biased.

i couldnt disagree more with gorman

these last chicago shows have convinced me that the lottery system, while good in theory, is complete and utter bullshit. the reasons are too numerous to list.

though ive been to 7 shows, waited over 135 hours in line for an average of over 19 hours per show, and never been in the ellipse, so i could be a bit biased.

Chizip said:
i couldnt disagree more with gorman

these last chicago shows have convinced me that the lottery system, while good in theory, is complete and utter bullshit. the reasons are too numerous to list.

though ive been to 7 shows, waited over 135 hours in line for an average of over 19 hours per show, and never been in the ellipse, so i could be a bit biased.

What are some of the reasons? I know there was a lot of confusion in the front of the line during the 9/21 show, but I had no idea what was going on up there.

I truly believe that you have better chances of getting into the ellipse if you arrive later. I've never been in line before 3PM the day of a show, and I'm 4 for 6.

Chizip said:
ithough ive been to 7 shows, waited over 135 hours in line for an average of over 19 hours per show, and never been in the ellipse, so i could be a bit biased.

Which just goes to show waiting in line is a total waste of time. Go do something productive with your day.

I think this is the whole thing - it's JUST a concert. I support U2 in any steps they take to stop people from queuing for absurd lengths of time.

gorman said:
I prefer the current system. There's no way I could have been to most of the Chicago shows early enough to get into the ellipse, and the same is true for many people. This keeps it fair for everyone (don't say it's not fair to those that camp out early -- they don't have to!), and it prevents the same people from being in the ellipse each night.

*cough* With that said, I've been in the ellipse 4 times in a row, so uh... I might be biased.

.....and there may have been someone who couldn't go to any of the Chicago shows period for just as valid a reason, does that mean U2 should come back and play Chicago again for them? The vast majority of U2 fans are in their 30s and all of them have Jobs, families and other responsibilities like most other people. U2 tours only once every four years and everyone has known since September of 2004 when Vertigo hit the radio that U2 would be on tour in 2005 and that they should plan accordingly. If that means using your only vacation days in order to wait outside early enough to be in the elipse, then so be it. Many fans planned most of their vacation time accordingly for the Spring 2005 leg just so they would be able to wait in line, and were then stunned by the sudden use of a lottery system when the tour started.

First Come, first serve is how it has always been for every U2 General Admission show since 1978. It has always worked well. There was no need to change that policy.

Axver said:

Which just goes to show waiting in line is a total waste of time. Go do something productive with your day.

I think this is the whole thing - it's JUST a concert. I support U2 in any steps they take to stop people from queuing for absurd lengths of time.

I don't consider meeting new people to be a waste of ones time which is what most U2 fans get to do when they wait in line. Sure it is just a concert, but who is anyone to judge what another responsible person does with their time off or their entertainment dollars.

Maoilbheannacht said:

.....and there may have been someone who couldn't go to any of the Chicago shows period for just as valid a reason, does that mean U2 should come back and play Chicago again for them? The vast majority of U2 fans are in their 30s and all of them have Jobs, families and other responsibilities like most other people. U2 tours only once every four years and everyone has known since September of 2004 when Vertigo hit the radio that U2 would be on tour in 2005 and that they should plan accordingly. If that means using your only vacation days in order to wait outside early enough to be in the elipse, then so be it. Many fans planned most of their vacation time accordingly for the Spring 2005 leg just so they would be able to wait in line, and were then stunned by the sudden use of a lottery system when the tour started.

First Come, first serve is how it has always been for every U2 General Admission show since 1978. It has always worked well. There was no need to change that policy.

I hear what you're saying, but that is easier said than done. A lot of people can't do what you described, and that shouldn't put them at a disadvantage. Also, a lot of people, such as myself, had to drive hours just to get to Chicago. That makes it even tougher. It's easy to come up with an ideal plan for getting to the arena very early, but that's just not feasible in reality.

Also, as Axver mentioned, for those that have come from out of town, it's nice to spend a few hours exploring the city you traveled so far to get to.

I definitely understand your side of things, don't get me wrong, but I think this system works better for most people. Also, look at it this way, if you do camp out, you still are guaranteed a good spot, even if you're not in the ellipse.

Maoilbheannacht said:
U2 tours only once every four years and everyone has known since September of 2004 when Vertigo hit the radio that U2 would be on tour in 2005 and that they should plan accordingly. If that means using your only vacation days in order to wait outside early enough to be in the elipse, then so be it.

I'm sick of hearing this argument and I think it's really lame. If I had a family, I'd much rather use my holidays to spend quality time with them than stare at the side of an arena wall for a whole day. And some people have commitments to care for elderly parents or young children, others have critical exams that can't be deferred, some can't go on holidays at certain times of year, and so on.

Ultimately, I'd put family ahead of U2. I'd rather take the kids to the park and show up for the concert at 4pm than wait in line since 4am, and I think it's really unfair to say to someone that "you put something above U2 so you don't deserve the chance to be front row".

Maoilbheannacht said:

I don't consider meeting new people to be a waste of ones time which is what most U2 fans get to do when they wait in line. Sure it is just a concert, but who is anyone to judge what another responsible person does with their time off or their entertainment dollars.

Depends on who you're around in line. I barely met anyone (I spent about three hours all told queuing), and I'm not a social person anyway. And honestly, I spent over $3000 and travelled over 30 hours from Australia to see U2 in Boston, and I wanted to see a little more of Boston than one side of the Fleet Centre.

I thought it was great that after spending a day exploring the history of Boston with my girlfriend, I could actually be front row at a U2 concert. And that's the way it should be. I shouldn't have to spend 24 miserable hours in line to be front row (miserable for me - everyone's different and some of you may enjoy queuing but it's not for me). No-one should have to wait that long. Frankly, it's absurd in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom