Vote up or down on having a GA Lottery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote up or down for having a GA Lottery system

• up / yes

Votes: 143 40.1%
  • down / no

Votes: 214 59.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got into the ellipse tonight in Chicago.

We absolutely love not waiting in line, and all the relative freedom that the lottery provides. However:

It is distracting how uninvolved the crowd is in there. Tonight was no exception. It was quite lame. I considered leaving and going to the back of the floor. We would jump up on songs...and NO ONE within 20 feet of you would be jumping. I know a lot of people say that not every fan likes to jump up and down...but we now have 3 ellipse experiences to draw on...and EVERY SINGLE ONE has been the same.

My wife and I never once got that vibe at any of the 35 Elevation shows we saw. Oh well...I have already voiced my opinion in here before but just thought Chicago would be different in the Ellipse. It wasn't. Probably won't be anywhere else either, if Chicago didn't go off.

By the way the band was on fire tonight too...most Bono-esque Bono I have seen so far. Beautiful Day was the only song that got huge interaction. Can't believe that is there biggest crowd pleaser, but oh well.

cmb - I'm with you there, even when I was right up close to the front, a lot of the people around me really didn't seem that into it. There was this couple that just kind of stood there all night. Sure I guess that's one way to enjoy the performance, but I was going nuts, because I was so close to the band, closer even than I was in Brookyln!

cbradfly1 said:
The ellispe was was pretty lively Saturday night. 35 Elevation shows? Wow.

I think 'lively' is a relative term. I was in the heart for Elevation shows and in the Ellipse for this show and it was pretty much the same in terms of liveliness -- people jumping and singing. I think some people are so flustered by this lottery thing that they are LOOKING for the people who are standing and taking in the show.

If you watch the bootleg DVDs of SD, it is noticeable that people on the outside of the ellipse are standing, talking and taking pictures just as much as those being pointed out inside the ellipse. Aren't those supposed to be the nutso hardcore fans, who stood in lines since 6am?? Or are they inferior fans too?

Better yet, take a peek at the back of the GA section. How involved are those inferior fans?

Last edited:
The OOTS said:
Or are they inferior fans too?

Enough of this judgmental over reaction talk. No one now is saying that they're inferior fans, so get the chip off your shoulder or the devil out of your advocate.

THERE IS A MARKED DIFFERENCE in the bomb shelter experience to the heart. There is a general malaise many feel about the tour. That is what people are commenting (some not so well thought out) on. Many don't feel these things. Many are having the time of their lives.

No one is inferior. Many of us just thought this GA experience would compare to last tour, which it is not. Inferior, not inferior, whatever...there is something wrong with people that have absolutely no reaction to a phenomenal rocking version of Zoo Station which I witnessed last night. Or a good third of the ellipse crowd filtering out during Miracle Drug.

If I had it to do over again last night...I would have resigned my position in the bomb shelter and rocked out at the back of the floor. MUCH MORE FUN. If you are in the back of the ellipse (and I have been three times) it is distracting how uninvolved the crowd is. You jump..and you are the only one...you put your arms up..you are the only one...all of the bomb shelter shows I saw (San Diego 1, Denver 1, Chicago 3) have been nearly identical in flavor. Sure, half the crowd is loving it...but in a confined area with 400 people and 200 are praying they play Beautiful Day over and over for 2 hours? Tiring.

The lottery is bringing out the worst in people, from people lining up even earlier than last tour to being assholes to fans once they are in the building. To think it isn't affecting the vibe is shortsighted. I think Elevation was what it was simply because of the genius of the heart and what it did to the crowd. If the lottery was scrapped tomorrow, I still wouldn't line up. It is too nice having the day to relax. But I would trade any future closeness to the band for a bit of the "loosing yourself in the midst of an adoring crowd" feeling that should have been bottled from the last tour.

The back to back playing of deep album cuts of Boy isn't helping either...although they should!

Last edited:
cmb737 said:

Enough of this judgmental over reaction talk. No one now is saying that they're inferior fans, so get the chip off your shoulder or the devil out of your advocate.

THERE IS A MARKED DIFFERENCE in the bomb shelter experience to the heart. There is a general malaise many feel about the tour. That is what people are commenting (some not so well thought out) on. Many don't feel these things. Many are having the time of their lives.

No one is inferior. Many of us just thought this GA experience would compare to last tour, which it is not. Inferior, not inferior, whatever...there is something wrong with people that have absolutely no reaction to a phenomenal rocking version of Zoo Station which I witnessed last night. Or a good third of the ellipse crowd filtering out during Miracle Drug.

If I had it to do over again last night...I would have resigned my position in the bomb shelter and rocked out at the back of the floor. MUCH MORE FUN. If you are in the back of the ellipse (and I have been three times) it is distracting how uninvolved the crowd is. You jump..and you are the only one...you put your arms up..you are the only one...all of the bomb shelter shows I saw (San Diego 1, Denver 1, Chicago 3) have been nearly identical in flavor. Sure, half the crowd is loving it...but in a confined area with 400 people and 200 are praying they play Beautiful Day over and over for 2 hours? Tiring.

The lottery is bringing out the worst in people, from people lining up even earlier than last tour to being assholes to fans once they are in the building. To think it isn't affecting the vibe is shortsighted. I think Elevation was what it was simply because of the genius of the heart and what it did to the crowd. If the lottery was scrapped tomorrow, I still wouldn't line up. It is too nice having the day to relax. But I would trade any future closeness to the band for a bit of the "loosing yourself in the midst of an adoring crowd" feeling that should have been bottled from the last tour.

The back to back playing of deep album cuts of Boy isn't helping either...although they should!

You hit on a couple of points I agree with. First off, another poster said fans were inferior if they liked the lottery. I would never be so closed minded. Second, pointing out the 'lame' people in the ellipse is an invalid point because they were there for Elevation too. Yes...it's true.

If you stand in the back of the Ellipse, you will have the same sort of experience you would have standing in the back of GA. Those are where the people who aren't into singing, dancing, yelling, sweating....stand out of the melee to enjoy the show.

I also agree that the Boy songs, Miracle Drug, and some of the themes of this show...anti-war themes, African chants before Streets (??) represent a different atmosphere and feeling than the flow of the Elevation shows. Believe it or not, I believe this is a HUGE factor in fan reaction. God Bless U2 for trying, but it doesn't hit with some people.

Vertigo is just a totally different feel than Elevation and I think this lends to more of a 'lame' crowd than the lottery.

As for me, I like the idea. I did not get GA's for Philly 1 until 5:30 the day of the show. So with that in mind, the notion that I still had an equal shot at the ellipse was very nice.

Eliv8 said:
I thought we had concluded this. 60% of us are die-hards the other 40% probably spend more time listening to other bands.

I consider myself a huge fan. One of the biggest fans. I have been the owner of one of the largest Lossless Trading groups on the internet for over 5 years. I have been into them since the early 80's. I travel long and hard to see them. But just because I like the lottery makes me a lackluster fan? Hmmmmmm......You are full of shit.

HJ

p.s.- I say that with nothing but love in my heart for you as a true fan.

I'll be interested to see the mood on the 2nd and 3rd legs when the tickets were better dispersed to the fan base vs. brokers.

Last edited:
Cool. A snob and I’m full of shit. Two personal attacks, no intervention from mods and a thread I open to give away a few disks and invite B&P's gets closed.

What’s up with this picture?

Always and forever - Pro Choice

u2wedge said:
I'll be interested to see the mood on the 2nd and 3rd legs when the tickets were better dispersed to the fan base vs. brokers.

:yes: My guess is this will improve things immensely. At least I'm hoping so, since the only show I'm going to is during the 3rd leg.

I am still 100% against the GA lottery. It separates group's of people and its harder to enjoy the show if you can't be with the people you can with to the show. I would like to explain what happened to me at Philly #2 but the system is bullshit. I think that they do pre-select a few people around 20 or so into the ellipse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom