Vote up or down on having a GA Lottery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote up or down for having a GA Lottery system

• up / yes

Votes: 143 40.1%
  • down / no

Votes: 214 59.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not exactly a statistially valid sample as more "die hards" -- whatever that means visit this site. But what the heck. I gave it a Yes.

BWU2Buffs said:
Not exactly a statistially valid sample as more "die hards" -- whatever that means visit this site. But what the heck. I gave it a Yes.

Anyone that got GA could probably be classified as a "die hard". The average sample size to estimate how over 100 million people in the country would vote in the election was about 1,000. The number of GA tickets sold in North America for the tour is less than 144,000. A sample size here of 100 or more is indeed a valid sample in that respect.

I knew there would be an official U2 system and that there would likely be some sort of lottery. Like it or not, here it is.

I would like to say

:down: and :down:

to this lottery.

Here is why:

:start rant:

I am going to one show this leg, probably only one this tour. I have four GA tickets, which cost me hours of prep time, so that I could take my sister, my roommate and my best friend. Now, we have only a very small chance of all being together at the front of the concert.

The lottery is bad for me for many reasons.

I am taking my only two days of vacation this year to go to Phoenix to see U2. And I was planning on spending one of those days in line, to get a good spot.

For those that say: we have to work, and can't make it to the show early. I say: it's the same as someone who can't afford tickets. If you don't have money, you can't go to the show. If you don't have time, you shouldn't get to be in the front of the line. That's what reserved seats have always been for. Simple as that.

AND: with this system, should one of us get lucky enough to get selected, we will be split up, which decreases our enjoyment of the show.

It is mostly my fault for assuming that GA would be handled the same as during the Elevation tour, but it seems to me like the disadvantages of this system, which caters to latecomers and groups of two, clearly outweigh the advantages. (I can already see money changing hands for people who are there, alone, from others that want to be their "friend" to get into the ellipse.)

Big groups are screwed. Early liners-up are screwed. And, people that have already made vacation plans, including taking days off work to wait in the GA line are screwed.

:end rant:

Ody said:

Big groups are screwed. Early liners-up are screwed. And, people that have already made vacation plans, including taking days off work to wait in the GA line are screwed.

:end rant:

I couldn't agree more. It should have been announced before we all made plans and spent extra money on hotels and wasted vacation days.

Since i have 3 GA shows planned, I like the idea of randomness. Hopefully the odds will play in my favor. I don't have the luxury of waiting in line all day.

i vote against this PARTICULAR GA lottery... i think there must be a better way to prevent the long camp-outs, get new faces in, etc. i really don't like the "buddy" system- i am going to 2 more shows on this leg w/ 2 friends, so there will be a group of 3 of us. what if one of us wins the lottery? it's gonna suck to have to choose.

i went the San Diego 1, and experienced the lottery firsthand. those who are voting in favor of the lottery might be singing a different tune after they experience it...

Techie2000 said:
I'm glad U2 recognizes that even the most devote fans might have real life committments to attend to and can't stand in line for hours, and is willing to give them a fair chance at a good spot.

right. and how lovely of them to tell us that before we stood in line.

that was real nice of them.

i have many, many real life commitments and i managed it. :down:

*Ally* said:
i vote against this PARTICULAR GA lottery... i think there must be a better way to prevent the long camp-outs, get new faces in, etc. i really don't like the "buddy" system- i am going to 2 more shows on this leg w/ 2 friends, so there will be a group of 3 of us. what if one of us wins the lottery? it's gonna suck to have to choose.

i went the San Diego 1, and experienced the lottery firsthand. those who are voting in favor of the lottery might be singing a different tune after they experience it...

As for this lottery, I think that the long fan/same fans in the heart/oval or egg will still get in the egg and later on in the tour they will be on the railing from show after show. This ticket lottery ain't full proof. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom