Vote up or down on having a GA Lottery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote up or down for having a GA Lottery system

• up / yes

Votes: 143 40.1%
  • down / no

Votes: 214 59.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Super_Fan said:

If you think about it I was away for 3 hours on Wednesday. Then 4 hours on Friday. Legit I had a class on Wednesday I could not miss and an exam on Thursday. 7 hours total out of a possible maxium of 48 hours waiting outside in line from Tuesday evening to Thursday showtime is ok. Everyone should take 3 to 4 hours at least taking a break if you sleep outside in line. I got very little sleep and its legit because it was understandable with the people around me and I ask everyone as well if it was ok.

Okay. See, I thought I'd assumed you were gone for 7.5 hours straight, then asked you to correct me if you were gone for 3 hours one day, 4.5 the next...And when in your next response you said you were gone for 7 hours (and didn't address if it was all in one day or not), I figured that that response meant that you were gone for the whole 7.5 hours in one day. Half that time each day is a little more acceptable.

Even still, there are far too many grey lines when it comes to camping out, etc. What makes one person's "legit" reason for not being in line different from someone else's "lame" reason? What's the exact time you're allowed to be out of the line, and when have you been gone too long? Do you really have to ask only the few people behind you if it's okay to leave, when it really affects everyone else behind you?

Basically, there are too many problems with camping & unregulated line practices--even when the line is "run" by fans, which is unofficial and half-binding at best. Anything that attempts to address & remedy these problems gets a :up: from me. The lottery isn't perfect, but it's a step. I have a feeling that the rules will be different for the next tour. But if they're not, then please let's just accept them & deal with them and have one less thing to bitch about for the entire length of the tour.

Queen Bee said:
Sting, can't you just let this thread die? You've been bumping it up constantly for months and the tour's almost over. If someone wants to revive it, let them, but it's annoying to see the pages constantly filled with your posts solely containing a period because you won't let this drop to page two until the tour is over. Plus, there hasn't been a dramatic increase in voting; I think everyone that's wanted to participate in this poll has done so already :shrug:

agreed. 6 months later and only 300+ votes is hardly a mandate.

In most other communities the OP would be banned for simply bumping posts for the sake of bumping.

Hey mods... if you're not going to Sticky this thread, how about a lock on it. It's really old news at this point.

:lock: :lock: :lock:

Queen Bee said:
Sting, can't you just let this thread die? You've been bumping it up constantly for months and the tour's almost over. If someone wants to revive it, let them, but it's annoying to see the pages constantly filled with your posts solely containing a period because you won't let this drop to page two until the tour is over. Plus, there hasn't been a dramatic increase in voting; I think everyone that's wanted to participate in this poll has done so already :shrug:

First off, I started this thread and stated I would continue it until the tour is over. I never set a time limit on it. I can't see how any thread would annoy anyone. If your not interested in the thread, don't read or post in it. I'm going to keep bumping it up until the end of the current planned tour in Portland in December.

u2wedge said:

agreed. 6 months later and only 300+ votes is hardly a mandate.

In most other communities the OP would be banned for simply bumping posts for the sake of bumping.

Hey mods... if you're not going to Sticky this thread, how about a lock on it. It's really old news at this point.

:lock: :lock: :lock:

I started this thread and did not put a time limit on it. I wanted it to last until the end of the currently planned tour which ends in Portland on December 19. I honestly can't see how the continuation of this thread until that point would effect you in any way.

Utoo said:
You know, having gotten front row of the rail on Wednesday night, I'm going to say that I'd rather get there at 6:30am and get front row of the rail than camp overnight and get 3rd row of the ellipse (if it were first come first served).

And with 10/19 being my only GA experience, I'm also going to say I'm all for the lottery to get rid of shady fan practices. The line was run pretty well on Wednesday, but there were a few dick moves. First off, I'll say that half the people in the very front, while they slept overnight, were out of line for hours on end during the daytime. What the hell is that? So you slept overnight, but you can leave for most of the show day? That's crap. Also, I'm very glad that the lady with U2 came out a few minutes before doors opened because there were some shady dealings for a while. Some folks were trying to convince the MCI people to let the Fan Club line in 10 minutes early--and then telling all the rest of us that it happened that way at every other venue, when it certainly did not. That's crap.

As cool as all us U2 fans are, we really can't be allowed to do much more with lines than putting numbers on our hands. Ouside of that, the band needs to run the line & the GA rules (it can't be the venue because then you'll have different practices all over).

Listen, I don't know where you were in line, but I was up front with Super_Fan both days...and yes, after lining up at around 3am Wednesday morning....god forbid, some of our group needed to take showers. the only place we had to go shower was across town, and by either using a car or the metro this process DID take more than 30 minutes. as for some of us leaving the line...we always had people in our group of 6 present in line at all times....that said, with a group of six you can't very well all leave the line and shower at the same time since you have to hold your spot in the line, now can you?? also, i made it quite clear to EVERYONE around us on both days that one of my friends didn't have a ticket and was in the ticket buying line all day long. (and please, don't tell me that's not allowed either, because it has been that way at every show since elevation, that if you don't have a GA and still have friends in the GA line, that you'll try to get a ticket in the buying line....we've all done it.) anyway, i made it clear that he was still sitting on the SAME SIDEWALK just around the corner all day long. and if anything he was suffering more for it cuz he couldn't be w/the rest of us (his friends) in line all day.:sad:

Super_Fan was never gone too much, and just like we understood his greater need for an education, he understood our lesser need of a ticket for our friend and showers. to imply that we weren't all there that day is ridiculous....and I have the back pain to prove it!

:madwife:

Last edited:
Utoo said:

And with 10/19 being my only GA experience...

Also, I'm very glad that the lady with U2 came out a few minutes before doors opened because there were some shady dealings for a while. Some folks were trying to convince the MCI people to let the Fan Club line in 10 minutes early--and then telling all the rest of us that it happened that way at every other venue, when it certainly did not. That's crap.

As cool as all us U2 fans are, we really can't be allowed to do much more with lines than putting numbers on our hands. Ouside of that, the band needs to run the line & the GA rules (it can't be the venue because then you'll have different practices all over).

ok, so i don't know what you think you heard, but to my knowledge at no point in time did anyone ever try to get MCI security to let the U2.com line in first. my girlfriend and i simply asked the question if MCI were planning on doing that since it would effect our decision as to whether we wanted to stand in the U2.com line or not, having waited overnight at this point, when they split the line so late in the day. NEITHER OF US EVER SAID that they do this at every venue!! as a matter of fact we said it had been done ONCE in New Jersey...that is all. we were JUST MAKING SURE!!!:scratch:

and I COMPELTLY AGREE that the band and their team need to run the GA line...be it first come, first serve or lottery.:yes: but the point is that they are NOT running it...CLEAR CHANNEL IS. so between the stupid uninformed venues and the TRULY shady dealings of one blonde Clear Channel Rep...we the fans have to do the best we can and remember that it's a "self-policing line"..... so if you have a problem with people in front of or behind you in line, the time to voice it is IN THE LINE... not later on when you can hide behind a message board!!!

steps off soapbox:rant: :rant: :rant:

Last edited:
popbellydancer said:

Listen, I don't know where you were in line, but I was up front with Super_Fan both days...and yes, after lining up at around 3am Wednesday morning....god forbid, some of our group needed to take showers. the only place we had to go shower was across town, and by either using a car or the metro this process DID take more than 30 minutes. as for some of us leaving the line...we always had people in our group of 6 present in line at all times....that said, with a group of six you can't very well all leave the line and shower at the same time since you have to hold your spot in the line, now can you?? also, i made it quite clear to EVERYONE around us on both days that one of my friends didn't have a ticket and was in the ticket buying line all day long. (and please, don't tell me that's not allowed either, because it has been that way at every show since elevation, that if you don't have a GA and still have friends in the GA line, that you'll try to get a ticket in the buying line....we've all done it.) anyway, i made it clear that he was still sitting on the SAME SIDEWALK just around the corner all day long. and if anything he was suffering more for it cuz he couldn't be w/the rest of us (his friends) in line all day.:sad:

Super_Fan was never gone too much, and just like we understood his greater need for an education, he understood our lesser need of a ticket for our friend and showers. to imply that we weren't all there that day is ridiculous....and I have the back pain to prove it!

:madwife:

First, let me say that I understood Super_Fan's post to mean that he was gone for 7.5 hours in one day, not over the two....and when I asked him to clarify, his answer still made it sound that way. It wasn't until his most recent post that he made it clear he was gone for 3 hours one day & 4.5 the next, not all at once---after I'd already written my critical posts. So, what I'm saying, is that when I criticized SF, I thought he was gone for 7.5 straight hours on 10/19. If you were to tell me that you would honestly be okay with someone being gone that long, I wouldn't believe you.

Second, I understand the need to shower, how far you have to go to do it, etc. Half of me thinks it's okay for the campers to go and take a 2-3-hour break. However, let me say this: I was in the #40s in line. From the time they split the lines (11:30/12), there were never more than a total of 20 people ahead of me--in both lines combined. At one point, counting people in both lines, I was number 8. Sure, everyone probably left to shower around the same time, but going from the #40s to #8---there's something screwy with that.

Third, I also understand it when a person who doesn't have a ticket, but camps out, and then spends most of the day in the ticket-drop line. That's something different altogether, and I'm pretty much fine with that. (I'm not fine with when such people feel that they deserve a GA ticket to a sold-out show just because they camped out...and that ticket booth staff are "mean" because they're dropping seats, at face value, to a sold-out show, but not GA's....). The thing about people not in line that I don't like is the idea that "it was okay with the people around me." The fact is, of course it's going to be okay with the people around you. What difference does it make to #4 if #2 is gone for a while? Or to #80 if #78 is gone? But tell #120, who got there after she fulfilled whatever her duties for the day were, that #5 is now going to skip for a few hours to go to class. Or the fact that if you got in line at 3am and I got in line at 6, and you're gone for 3 hours and I never leave, we spend the same time in line----why should I really be 40-some people behind you in line? Basically, it all comes down to showing respect to other people in line. There are people who had class, tests, jobs, or meetings that they couldn't miss----so they didn't get in line until their duties were done. They could have thrown their stuff down in line the night before, slept for a while, and then gone off to do what they had to do---but they didn't because it's not quite respectful to the people who do what they have to do before they get in line. If the lottery were to be done away with and both the ellipse and the rail were first-come first-served, can you imagine how really pissed those people would be if they found out someone up front wasn't in line for hours on end??

Finally, let me say that if you look at my original post (the one you quoted), I said that the only real problem I had with the line that day was the attempt by a few fans to manipulate security to do the 10-minute thing, and then the blatant lie that was told to the rest of us that it had happened at every other venue & that we must not have noticed before. After hearing how great super 'diehard' U2 fans are in the GA line (and having a great experience with most of them), it was this act that took me aback. I could tell you exactly who it was who said this, as well as which super fans were looking on as it was said, but there's no need for that. I had really expected more from these fans.

Basically, like I said before, there are just too many grey areas and potential problems in an unregulated or fan-regulated line. Ideally, there would be set rules that would be universal at every venue, ideally put in place by the band. The lottery, while not perfect in practice, is a small step in that direction. That was my original point & it still is.

Last edited:
U2Fanatic4ever said:
Ok..here's my 2 cents... what I am seeing about this whole debate.. I for one prefer the first come first serve. This had the heart full everytime.. no having to walk around the floor handing out extra wristbands to fill it up. It was full by the time the opening act came on. This time around the ellipse isn't full by this same time. This lottery system is not bringing in fresh faces as what was initially the reason behind it. I am seeing the same faces in the GA line and inside the ellipse everytime. There are several groups of people that are somehow getting into the ellipse many, many times in a row. THIS ISN'T RANDOM FOLKS! People are cheating the system here!! Resulting in the same group of people inside the ellipse at every show. One person, has been inside the ellipse 9 times in a row and counting. Not going to mention names here but I know a few of these people..And it isn't luck thats getting them in there. So this procedure didn't succeed in its purpose to bring in fresh faces, giving everyone an equal opportunity.. it is BS! :mad:

one of my friends has been ridiculously lucky and has scanned into the heart at about nine or so east coast shows...she or one of her friends has scanned every night.... i sincerely hope this is not whom you mean? i will tell you that she has gone with quite a few people to each show...but apparently (as it's been mentioned elsewhere on this board) they were letting larger groups in on a single scan all week at MSG. several of my friends got in because of that. then i heard in philly they'd let 3 or 4 go on one scan towards the front of the line. and let me tell you...in DC it was AMAZING....6 of us got in on one scan during the first night and they let 4 of us in on a single scan on the second night. we were up front and they just let us go!!!!:shocked: :up:

so, don't go jumping to conclusions about people before you know that facts.:yes:

p.s. why should i be split up when i travel across the country and am able to go see a show with my closest friends...not to mention my mom and dad?? that is why the lottery sucks....bottom line...because it's wrong to tell me i can't see a show with both parents...that i have to pick one, that is the true BS!!!!:mad: and STING2...keep it bumping no matter what!!!:rockon:

Last edited:
popbellydancer said:

ok, so i don't know what you think you heard, but to my knowledge at no point in time did anyone ever try to get MCI security to let the U2.com line in first. my girlfriend and i simply asked the question if MCI were planning on doing that since it would effect our decision as to whether we wanted to stand in the U2.com line or not, having waited overnight at this point, when they split the line so late in the day. NEITHER OF US EVER SAID that they do this at every venue!! as a matter of fact we said it had been done ONCE in New Jersey...that is all. we were JUST MAKING SURE!!!:scratch:

and I COMPELTLY AGREE that the band and their team need to run the GA line...be it first come, first serve or lottery.:yes: but the point is that they are NOT running it...CLEAR CHANNEL IS. so between the stupid uninformed venues and the TRULY shady dealings of one blonde Clear Channel Rep...we the fans have to do the best we can and remember that it's a "self-policing line"..... so if you have a problem with people in front of or behind you in line, the time to voice it is IN THE LINE... not later on when you can hide behind a message board!!!

steps off soapbox:rant: :rant: :rant:

Dude, I agree with most of your post. :yes: But chill out----I'm not attacking you & don't even know who you are. The person that I was not keen on was the one who told the rest of us that the 10-minute policy was happening and that it had happened "at every other venue." And we did voice our concern in line----and that's when we were told by that same person "it happened at all the other shows, and if you didn't notice it, you must have been too far back in line." Hiding behind a message board? :huh: Dude, chill.

Last edited:
Utoo said:

Dude, I agree with most of your post. :yes: But chill out----I'm not attacking you & don't even know who you are. The person that I was not keen on was the one who told the rest of us that the 10-minute policy had happened "at every other venue." And we did voice our concern in line----and that's when we were told by that same person "it happened at all the other shows, and if you didn't notice it, you must have been too far back in line." Hiding behind a message board? :huh: Dude, chill.

ok, sorry...fair enough. i just thought you made it sound like we who were up front said that about the 10 minute policy...and since my friend and i had asked about it...i wanted to clarify that we never said it happened at every venue. i think whoever said that to you probably heard us asking the question and jumped the gun about it. honest mistakes all around. i'm not trying to jump down your throat, i was just fired up when it looked as though "everyone" at the front of the line was getting a bad rep. also, it is true that many people go to meet the band at around 2 and stand there until the last minute. that makes me nervous, i went for like 30 mins and then hopped back in line knowing it was too close to doors to be gone for long. and yes, my group was there all day...sitting....waiting....stretching....walking and saying hi to old friends....trying to find tix etc...

so, my apologies and :hug: :hug: :hug: to you...

popbellydancer said:

so, my apologies and :hug: :hug: :hug: to you...

Whew! :wink: :hug:
No, I wouldn't criticize 'everyone' up at the front--I was pretty much there, too. :wink: I'm glad we're good. :yes: :hug:

Now this shows exactly why the lottery sucks. Maybe the idea of a lottery is good in theory, but in practice it just leads to confusion and chaos. The lottery procedure varies from venue to venue. In Jersey they did allow the fanclub line to go in early, some of the venues never even split into two lines, some venues give you wristbands and numbers so you can leave and come back, other venues dont do anything and leave it up to the fans to police themselves, then when fans try to do that fans at the back of the line think the fans trying to run things are being shady, yet if they didn't do anything there would be even more chaos.

Also U2.com says you can bring one person into the ellipse with you, sometimes they allow two, lately they have been allowing 4 or 5. I mean it's ridiculous, there is absolutely no consistency. That's what leads to frustration and anger in the lines.

It was much, much, much easier when there was just 1 line, first come first serve. You didn't have to worry about if you had a fan club ticket, if you needed your fanclub card or profile, which line you were supposed to go in, what time they were going to be let in, how many people you can take with you in that line or in the ellipse. You just went to the show and enjoyed it.

If they wanted to have a lottery they needed people to run the lines in a consistent manner from venue to venue.

Chizip said:

If they wanted to have a lottery they needed people to run the lines in a consistent manner from venue to venue.

You're right. It's not quite the lottery's "fault" for the confusion--it's that it's not being put into practice well.

My prediction for the next tour:
1. No fan club tickets. Fan club will get the benefit of buying tickets early & that's it...if even that.

2. Lottery will return.

3. People closer to U2/Principle will be running the GA line.

Chizip said:
Now this shows exactly why the lottery sucks. Maybe the idea of a lottery is good in theory, but in practice it just leads to confusion and chaos. The lottery procedure varies from venue to venue. In Jersey they did allow the fanclub line to go in early, some of the venues never even split into two lines, some venues give you wristbands and numbers so you can leave and come back, other venues dont do anything and leave it up to the fans to police themselves, then when fans try to do that fans at the back of the line think the fans trying to run things are being shady, yet if they didn't do anything there would be even more chaos.

Also U2.com says you can bring one person into the ellipse with you, sometimes they allow two, lately they have been allowing 4 or 5. I mean it's ridiculous, there is absolutely no consistency. That's what leads to frustration and anger in the lines.

It was much, much, much easier when there was just 1 line, first come first serve. You didn't have to worry about if you had a fan club ticket, if you needed your fanclub card or profile, which line you were supposed to go in, what time they were going to be let in, how many people you can take with you in that line or in the ellipse. You just went to the show and enjoyed it.

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

couldn't agree more! and how ridiculous and unfair is it that for months since the DC tix went onsale i've literally been stressed out about what would happen if one of my parents or i scannned and we coudn't take the third person. i know it sounds crazy...but hey....crazy got us into this whole camping/GA thing to begin with (otherwise we'd have bought tix in the stands...) but how crazy is it that i spent several nights on the phone w/my mom about what we'd do if we were LUCKY enough to scan....and finally we decided to go on the outer rail and give the scan to the people nearest us. which is why we lined up so damn early to have a good spot on the rail, cuz my dad is 50 and doesn't like to get shoved around...which is why he loved the heart so much during elevation!! anyway, when my friend scanned he was able to get everyone in...so it was a miracle. but all in all....it's too stressful. i go to a lot of shows....not just U2....and first come has been king for like ever...so i just don't understand why they have to do this...it really rips people apart at the end of the day.

in my opinion, there are 2 things that really suck about the lottery:

1) the 20 minutes or so before doors open, when everyone's a bit nervous and on edge about whether they're gonna scan

and

2) the moment after you and your friends LOSE, and you feel crushed, while others around you are screaming for joy because they got lucky. it sucks to go into a concert feeling disappointed and a bit jealous of other fans- granted, that feeling goes away quickly, but it still sucks for those few minutes.

ah well. i do hope U2's people take more an initiative IF there's another tour, and IF there's another lottery system.

that being said, i'll take GA + lottery ANY DAY over regular floor seats. :up:

popbellydancer said:

one of my friends has been ridiculously lucky and has scanned into the heart at about nine or so east coast shows...she or one of her friends has scanned every night.... i sincerely hope this is not whom you mean? i will tell you that she has gone with quite a few people to each show...but apparently (as it's been mentioned elsewhere on this board) they were letting larger groups in on a single scan all week at MSG. several of my friends got in because of that. then i heard in philly they'd let 3 or 4 go on one scan towards the front of the line. and let me tell you...in DC it was AMAZING....6 of us got in on one scan during the first night and they let 4 of us in on a single scan on the second night. we were up front and they just let us go!!!!:shocked: :up:

so, don't go jumping to conclusions about people before you know that facts.:yes:

p.s. why should i be split up when i travel across the country and am able to go see a show with my closest friends...not to mention my mom and dad?? that is why the lottery sucks....bottom line...because it's wrong to tell me i can't see a show with both parents...that i have to pick one, that is the true BS!!!!:mad: and STING2...keep it bumping no matter what!!!:rockon:

Why on earth do you think this was directed at you or your friends.???????????? I dont even know you. All I know is what was said to me directly. I am quite aware that larger groups are being let in lately. I am certainly not saying thats how the system is being cheated or not.

Where in my post did I say that splitting up groups is ok? I agree I don't think it would be fair to split a group, especially family for god's sake! This is definitely a good reason why the lottery sucks

And I don't appreciate being attacked either especially when my post was an observation only and not directed at anyone.. :mad:

Chizip said:

here here! I totally agree with ya!!! Well said chizip!! :yes:

I've now seen U2 9 times on this tour.

At my first show first leg, Mark scanned, thereby granting me entrance. We had lined up from 7 am. We partied beside people inside the ellipse who had come later. Three of whom were granted a favor by security because 1 of them was from Chile and would have been left alone had he not been granted entrance to the ellipse with his brother and wife. I thought nothing of it, seemed logical to me.

I have been inside the ellipse 5 times and outside 4 times, lined up as early as 7am, and as late as 6pm. I did not *personally scan until Monday and then scanned again on Tuesday (Detroit 1&2). I finally ended up front row on Tuesday.

I think it works, I liked the opportunity of seeing new faces at different venues, not just the same people over and over. I can only imagine how U2 feels...

I have maintained that the answer is for us all to just STOP LINING UP so unreasonably early. There is absolutely no need for it, and the only people in the front of these lines are us nuts here on Interference and one or two other fan sites.

A concert, especially one that I travel to to the states for, is an EXPERIENCE for me. I want to hang with other fans, have a drink, dance, mingle, etc...not stand shivering in the rain fighting for a spot and then be all stressed out in the hours leading up to the show. Dont take offense to this, but seriously, and this has been me too, some of you all are way too stressed out and tired and annoyed by the time we get into the ellipse or on the outside rail...and then after the show, you end up just going home and crashing. Where's the celebration? I'd much rather you had come out with us in Pittsburgh and Detroit - we don't get to see one another alot, ya know??

The way to make the lottery work for yourself, and it does, believe me, is to simply stop killing yourself over the lineup and come at a reasonable time. The general public knows that it's a lottery so they aren't lining up at midnite the night before anymore, its just us. So let's stop?!

Makes sense to me....

PS - see you in the line...as long as there is one, guess I'll be there at some point or another..lol..

gabrielvox said:

I have maintained that the answer is for us all to just STOP LINING UP so unreasonably early. There is absolutely no need for it, and the only people in the front of these lines are us nuts here on Interference and one or two other fan sites.

A concert, especially one that I travel to to the states for, is an EXPERIENCE for me. I want to hang with other fans, have a drink, dance, mingle, etc...not stand shivering in the rain fighting for a spot and then be all stressed out in the hours leading up to the show. Dont take offense to this, but seriously, and this has been me too, some of you all are way too stressed out and tired and annoyed by the time we get into the ellipse or on the outside rail...and then after the show, you end up just going home and crashing. Where's the celebration? I'd much rather you had come out with us in Pittsburgh and Detroit - we don't get to see one another alot, ya know??

The people I have been with at the 5 shows I've seen and I have had a lot of discussion about this - and you have just summed up very well the conclusion we come to every time! :yes:

It's not really right to be MISERABLE by the time the concert starts, but it sort of becomes a competition for a decent spot. When you know people are lining up so early, and (especially if you're short, like me, and want to see anything other then the back of someone's head) you feel like you don't have any choice in the matter - so you line up and your muscles ache and you find yourself standing there waiting for the band in a state of sleep deprivation and dehydration - :crack: not that you remember any of that once the show starts! :wink:

And I'm still sort of torn about the lottery. I see why the band would want to see the new faces, and give everyone the chance to get closer to the stage. It makes sense to me on that hand.

but as I went five times and never scanned once, I was to the point of tears when they told me to proceed to the floor on the night of my last show. :sad: thankfully someone I knew DID end up scanning in and was kind enough to invite me to join them :hyper:

so, does it work? well, there are flaws with any of the possible systems they could put in place. that said, I'd have to say it probably serves it's purpose, and works about as well as any other program would. :yes:

gabrielvox said:

At my first show first leg, Mark scanned, thereby granting me entrance. We had lined up from 7 am. We partied beside people inside the ellipse who had come later. Three of whom were granted a favor by security because 1 of them was from Chile and would have been left alone had he not been granted entrance to the ellipse with his brother and wife. I thought nothing of it, seemed logical to me.

I have been inside the ellipse 5 times and outside 4 times, lined up as early as 7am, and as late as 6pm. I did not *personally scan until Monday and then scanned again on Tuesday (Detroit 1&2). I finally ended up front row on Tuesday.

I think it works, I liked the opportunity of seeing new faces at different venues, not just the same people over and over. I can only imagine how U2 feels...

The way to make the lottery work for yourself, and it does, believe me, is to simply stop killing yourself over the lineup and come at a reasonable time. The general public knows that it's a lottery so they aren't lining up at midnite the night before anymore, its just us. So let's stop?!

Makes sense to me....

PS - see you in the line...as long as there is one, guess I'll be there at some point or another..lol..

I really like what you have said. :up: And a point I realized has affected me too. Why should we be SO STRESSED OUT OVER THIS EARLY LINE UP and whether we get in or not! I have noticed that this really takes away from the whole experience. As you mentioned or referred to a big part of the fun of the GA experience is meeting new people and just hanging out talking, swaping stories. Its amazing how quickly the day goes by when this occurs.
Instead we all end up angry, on edge, stressed out, anxious u2 fans instead of happy and relaxed ones. We all need to lighten up and enjoy this because frankly U2 is not going to be touring forever. I for one am going to take this to heart. I admit losing sight of the whole EXPERIENCE as gabrielvox has mentioned and plan on returning to this right state of mind.

So, THANK YOU GABRIELVOX for bringing this up. :wink:

i theory i agree with absolutely EVERYTHING gabrielvox said. :up: good post!

the problem is that i've showed up late, and didn't scan, and ended up watching the show from the back of the floor. although i occassionally caught glimpses of bono's head when he was out on the ellipse, i really ended up watching most of the show on the screens. i didn't even feel like i was at a concert- it was like watching something on TV.

that being said, i've also been front rail AND 3rd/4th row, both inside and outside of the ellipse. and i have to say that there really isn't much difference at all! the only difference is that if you're on the front rail (which so many hardcore fans want) you can hold onto something, which is nice when the crowd gets a bit rowdy. ;) but that's really it- a few rows back from the rail, you can still get a great view (unless there's a giant in front of you), and the energy is *amazing*. it's still like being part of the show, rather than watching the show.

but let's face it, a LOT of diehard fans want to have the chance to 'interact' with one of the band members, either by showing a sign and trying to get onstage, or just wanting to make eye contact with their heroes. that;s a big draw for a lot of people, which is why there's camping out. i personally don't think there's anything wrong with that, and have done it myself, but variety is the spice of life- i think mixing it up a bit, by both camping and showing up later, is the way to go. :up:

sorry for my ramblings... i hope they're semi-coherent.

Last edited:
gabrielvox said:

Makes sense to me....

Excellent post, GB. :up: You're right---all the fun of the GA line is in meeting new people. I'd much rather spend that time with new people hanging out in a bar before & after the show than on the concrete. :drunk:

Well, the day everyone agrees to get to line late let me know and I'll do the same... in the meantime, I'll be waiting in line with everyone else and going straight home after the show to crash :wink:

At least I know I am not one of the pouty/tired ones once I have my spot... I'm ready to go! :hyper: But yes, I have seen that happen a few times... :huh:

Miroslava said:
Well, the day everyone agrees to get to line late let me know and I'll do the same... in the meantime, I'll be waiting in line with everyone else and going straight home after the show to crash :wink:

Me, too...unfortunately! It's all about my Old People At The Train Station Theory that I posted a while back:

Have you ever ridden a train? If you get there like 45 minutes early, everyone's sitting down. Why not? The train's not coming for forty-five minutes? Might as well be comfortable. Then comes the old couple. With 30 minutes to go, some 70-year-old couple feels the need to stand up in front of the doorway to ensure that they get onto the train first. Next thing you know, everyone feels like they have to get in line, or else they'll be dead last and have to sit on the floor in the train's bathroom. Lo and behold, we all spend half an hour standing up in line, looking longingly at the empty chairs lining the waiting area that everyone is afraid to sit in for fear of being last on the train.

:wink:

U2Fanatic4ever said:

I really like what you have said. :up: And a point I realized has affected me too. Why should we be SO STRESSED OUT OVER THIS EARLY LINE UP and whether we get in or not! I have noticed that this really takes away from the whole experience. As you mentioned or referred to a big part of the fun of the GA experience is meeting new people and just hanging out talking, swaping stories. Its amazing how quickly the day goes by when this occurs.
Instead we all end up angry, on edge, stressed out, anxious u2 fans instead of happy and relaxed ones. We all need to lighten up and enjoy this because frankly U2 is not going to be touring forever. I for one am going to take this to heart. I admit losing sight of the whole EXPERIENCE as gabrielvox has mentioned and plan on returning to this right state of mind.

So, THANK YOU GABRIELVOX for bringing this up. :wink:

And on that note... :shifty: what time are we lining up? :shifty:

I have had GAs before, but never even considered going down early and waiting in line, not that it was really an option either (work, family, going with friends,...). This is my first, and maybe only time to try the 'line-up' on the day of the show. I'm not the camping type in life nor for a U2 show, so I'm guessing we will be there in the morning sometime. I'm hoping that Maddy and I will get into the ellipse, since she is a kid :shifty: and if so, we can get a good spot. Hopefully upfront, with me standing behind her to protect her the best I can. If we do not get into the ellipse for whatever reason, I would prefer her to be on the rail-something to hold on to, and no one blocking her view, and near security in case something does happen. I hear security watches out for kids (I hope Bono does too :sexywink: ).

And I have to go down early this time - I mean after following the band for the last 7 months on a day to day basis - how could I pass up this chance? Especially taking Maddy to experience what the rest of us (most) already have. It's the only band/show (so far) that she will have seen where she knows all the songs, probably all the words too. Probably better than her Mom :giggle:

Also, I think part of the fun is in meeting the other fans. It's ironic when you read stories online after the show about where you were standing/sitting, and it turns out you were right next to someone you've chatted with online, or you end up in a picture taken by the guy behind you, LOL. I think it would be cool to introduce yourself, find out if these fellow fans post here or elsewhere - they must, right? They are U2 fans who are taking the whole day off to queue. If you are in line, you aren't a casual fan, at least I don't think so.

2 lawn chairs already in the car...
Need food/snacks and water.
Probably some reading material, just in case.

See ya there :wave:

Lila64 said:

I have had GAs before, but never even considered going down early and waiting in line, not that it was really an option either (work, family, going with friends,...). This is my first, and maybe only time to try the 'line-up' on the day of the show. I'm not the camping type in life nor for a U2 show, so I'm guessing we will be there in the morning sometime. I'm hoping that Maddy and I will get into the ellipse, since she is a kid :shifty: and if so, we can get a good spot. Hopefully upfront, with me standing behind her to protect her the best I can. If we do not get into the ellipse for whatever reason, I would prefer her to be on the rail-something to hold on to, and no one blocking her view, and near security in case something does happen. I hear security watches out for kids (I hope Bono does too :sexywink: ).

And I have to go down early this time - I mean after following the band for the last 7 months on a day to day basis - how could I pass up this chance? Especially taking Maddy to experience what the rest of us (most) already have. It's the only band/show (so far) that she will have seen where she knows all the songs, probably all the words too. Probably better than her Mom :giggle:

Also, I think part of the fun is in meeting the other fans. It's ironic when you read stories online after the show about where you were standing/sitting, and it turns out you were right next to someone you've chatted with online, or you end up in a picture taken by the guy behind you, LOL. I think it would be cool to introduce yourself, find out if these fellow fans post here or elsewhere - they must, right? They are U2 fans who are taking the whole day off to queue. If you are in line, you aren't a casual fan, at least I don't think so.

Hiya Lila!! :hug: :wave:

It's gonna be a blast! Not to worry. I am sure whether we are inside the ellipse or outside we will get the rail, especially maddy. Being on the rail you have a bit more room. The rail itself is a metal platform about 2 in off the ground so that helps! and of course the security is right in front of you.

Yes, and going early is the way to go.

Talk to you soon girlie! :wink:

Lila64 said:

Maybe Maddy should bring a sign AND her guitar... :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom